Author Topic: "Grease: You're the One That I Want"  (Read 10776 times)

Offline Reality Junkee

• 'RFF's Resident Chocoholic'
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I love Reality TV!
"Grease: You're the One That I Want"
« on: January 05, 2007, 11:54:07 AM »
So, who here has heard of this and is going to watch it?  The show is like American Idol in the fact they have auditions for singers.  However, Broadway is looking to cast two people...one for Danny and one for Sandy.  So everyone will be trying out for the characters.  You're gonna see ALOT of Danny and Sandys :lol:    They will whittle it down (like AI) and the winners will be the stars in the Broadway show of it.

Because I AM a "Reality Junkee" I HAVE to watch it.  :dancer:   Hopefully Rob & Trevor will cover this somewhat.  R & T, if you are reading this, PLEASE cover it. :hugs:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
Re: "Grease: You're the One That I Want"
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2007, 03:06:10 PM »
Here's the site link
http://www.nbc.com/Grease/
Sundays at 8? hmm well I'll watch the first one just to see how it is. The commercials already annoy me.... sorta like Donald Trumps face :barf

Offline Reality Junkee

• 'RFF's Resident Chocoholic'
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I love Reality TV!
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2007, 04:28:20 PM »
 :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2007, 05:09:17 PM »
lol RJ  :lol:! I can't get over my hate for Donald..its been going on for years and has nothing to do with the Rosie feud. I can't even stand listening to his voice.

more on GREASE

Grease: You're the One That I Want
 (Series -- NBC, Sun. Jan. 7, 8 p.m.)
By BRIAN LOWRY
'Grease: You're the One That I Want'

Taped in Los Angeles by BBC Worldwide Prods. Executive producers, Al Edgington, Louis A. Stroller, Paul Telegdy; co-executive producer, Suzy Lamb; producer, Melanie Balac; supervising producers, Rob Wade, Corie Henson; director, Russell Norman.

Finding new ways to copy "American Idol" isn't as easy as it appears, and NBC -- after summer success with "America's Got Talent" -- might have another marketable concept in this BBC import, an elimination tourney casting leads for a Broadway revival of "Grease." Since practically every American has either seen the movie or tried out for one of these roles in high school, the recognizable songs make for a reasonably comforting concept. If only the format didn't so slavishly adhere to "Idol's" template, down to British producer David Ian seeming to channel Simon Cowell by way of Malcolm McDowell.
"Grease" co-creator Jim Jacobs and director Kathleen Marshall join Ian in screening the contestants, and the show makes clear from the get-go that it will follow "Idol's" script, when a perfect, perky Sandy contestant tiptoes in, immediately followed by someone who is overweight, partially deaf and clearly there to be pitied and/or ridiculed. And thus the bookends are set.

NBC indulges in a bit of synergy by tapping "Access Hollywood's" Billy Bush to impersonate Ryan Seacrest, augmented by equally bubbly Brit Denise Van Outen. Watching Bush console those who don't make the cut and exult with those who do, it's hard not to wish that Danny Zuko and the "Grease" gang would show up and shove him in a locker.

Sunday's 90-minute opener rifles through auditions in L.A. and Chicago, gradually whittling down the pool to 50 potential Sandys and Dannys who will attend "Grease Academy" before naming a dozen finalists, with viewers choosing the winner. It's all loosely inspired by a similar competition the BBC staged last year in connection with "The Sound of Music" using the too-cute-for-America title "How Do You Solve a Problem Like Maria?" and featuring musical impresario Andrew Lloyd Webber.

The main deviation from "Idol" in "Grease" is that it will require, as Bush says, a "true triple threat," capable of not only singing but acting and dancing as well. Still, the beats here are all woefully familiar, from the tears that greet rejection and being told, as Ian does in somewhat unwieldy fashion, "You're the one that we want for 'Grease Academy.'"

One wrinkle, however, does prove entirely unconvincing -- namely, the idea that the producers are sweating it out over finding the right performers. They are, rather, simply basking in the hours of free publicity the program will generate to help their show get up and running.

NBC has a big void to fill Sundays with NFL football sidelined for eight months, and the revised reality-heavy lineup sounds like as logical a method as any to try staying competitive without throwing a bunch of new dramas to the slaughter. It's only too bad that the net's latest talent show reflects about as much creativity, frankly, as the underlying notion of reviving "Grease" yet again for Broadway.

Production design, Jeff Hall; musical director, Nigel Wright. 90 MIN. Host: Billy Bush; co-host: Denise Van Outen. Judges: Jim Jacobs, David Ian, Kathleen Marshall.

http://www.variety.com/review/VE1117932393.html?categoryid=32&cs=1

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2007, 12:41:30 PM »
Did anyone watch? It was cute and had heart. The judges are not near as harsh as Simon  :snicker:. I missed the last 30 minutes so I don't know how the Chicago tryouts panned out but in LA I found a fav in that Crumb? kid.

Offline CeeeJay

• " Miss. Thang !"
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Save A Horse...Ride a Cowboy
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2007, 01:18:46 PM »
there was a lot less talent at the Chicago city tryouts...

TOO MANY commercials and too much commentary.  They barely showed the "bad" singers which I love to watch on AI

Other shows will be on at the same time so not sure if I will continue to watch it.
~Honesty Is The Best Policy, But Insanity Is A Better Defense~
~Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Don't Have Film~

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2007, 01:53:17 PM »
Next week is 24's 2 hour premiere and nothing gets in between puddin & Keifer  :flirt:. I don't think it will kill me to miss an episode........I only watched it to check out the " bad " singers as well CJ and like you said they left those people out.
also it bugged me that they didn't have some conditions with even bothering to tryput if you were over a certain age. Some of those older men ruled but it was just a waste if time for them to even bother trying out.

Offline PotatosPunkGirl

• Big Brother Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2007, 09:40:51 PM »
Being a die hard Grease fan(Original Only..EWWWWWW on Grease 2!!!)..I was torn about watching this show.....while I would love to see all of my favorite songs performed over and over again(I've only heard them all about 500 times..what's another 100?)...I was afraid they would butcher my favorite movie of all time....and I was RIGHT!!  I don't think I'll be watching that show again....my heart ached for Danny and Sandy....lol.

Offline BballKates

• RFF Sr. Member
  • I Love TV!
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2007, 10:33:27 PM »
I'm guessing the ratings for this show will drop as the season goes on. I'm sure some loyal AI fans might check it out and lose interest and go back to AI once it starts next week.

No one particulary stuck out in my opinion. However, I am curious to see what happens when it get's to the rounds when the public votes.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2007, 12:00:00 AM »
welcome BballKates   :waves:

Offline BballKates

• RFF Sr. Member
  • I Love TV!
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2007, 08:18:59 PM »
welcome BballKates   :waves:

Thanks I've heard lots of good things about this forum and your spoilers puddin.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2007, 08:34:56 PM »
 :-[ thanks BballKates

these are the two guys I liked

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline BballKates

• RFF Sr. Member
  • I Love TV!
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2007, 01:14:25 PM »
:-[ thanks BballKates

these are the two guys I liked

They guy in the blue was probably the best singer in my opinion. I'd like to watch this show and I'm hoping it can keep my attention during Idol.

Nuala

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2007, 06:40:51 AM »
Okay so NY had better try outs.  I two guys that I liked....Austin and Matt.  Poor Matt is single now that his girlie did not make it to Grease Academy.

There was one girl that I thought should have made it......I wish I could remember her name, but she was the one who was told to change her look and she did and she was by far one of the best female try outs for the show.  I think she would have been perfect, but I am just a viewer.

So, next week we are off to Grease Academy.  I will be watching. 

Keeping it real,

Nuala

Offline CeeeJay

• " Miss. Thang !"
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2007, 10:59:56 AM »
Yeah poor guy...that girl wasn't that great (well neither was he) but for her to DUMP him...he wouldn't have dumped her...jealous girl!!!

The girl that was the Soulfoul Sandy...I totally agree I thought she looked GREAT and she had a fantastic voice....her dancing wasn't bad either!!

Last night's episode was much better than the weeks before..maybe cause I watched it on tape and didn't noticed the million of commercials!!

Offline BballKates

• RFF Sr. Member
  • I Love TV!
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2007, 02:31:13 PM »
I have now watched both episodes and I just can't get into it. I'm hoping it get's better at Grease Academy.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2007, 08:34:43 PM »
Chad, Austin & Max made it the final 12  :yess: ! I was holding my breath  :woohoo:

Offline RudyRules

• RFF's Maturest Angel.
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • S1's Rudy Rocks!!
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2007, 03:56:36 AM »
I ran across this show while flipping channels & watched the first one.  Was planning to watch again, but 24 was on!  And forgot this week.  If it doesn't conflict w/ Apprentice and Beauty/Geek or anything else, I'll try to squeeze it into my tv schedule!!  I liked the first show, but hate the zillion commercials!  :groan:

Offline BballKates

• RFF Sr. Member
  • I Love TV!
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2007, 06:41:58 PM »
Anyone watching this tonight?

Offline Rob

• RFF Administrator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Reality Fan Forum
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2007, 07:04:28 PM »
Just can't take anymore of this! LOL, its too weird anymore for me.

Offline BballKates

• RFF Sr. Member
  • I Love TV!
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2007, 09:03:42 PM »
I watched. It's not on again for two weeks so I will probably forget about it.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2007, 11:35:51 PM »
I watched. It's not on again for two weeks so I will probably forget about it.
I'll forget about it too but will watch the end of the finale just to see who wins.
So all they did tonight was bring 2 contestants back? meh ..i was watching the Survivor Fiji preview so only caught it here and there.

Offline CeeeJay

• " Miss. Thang !"
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2007, 07:42:04 AM »
well they brought back the guy i think the girlfriend dumped...and the girl ashley who cried the entire audition process.  He sang Pretty women...wasn't too bad....but she sang Still the One and OMG I turned the channel...HORRIBLE!!!! HORRIBLE ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE!!!!

What I REALLY HATE about this show...the judges are WAY WAY WAY TOO nice.  They serisouly need to be honest wtih them.  This is a broadway competition....and some of these people SHOULD Not be there.  They are not lookign for a boyband or popgroup singer.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2007, 11:51:47 AM »

Four Hour Broadcast Next Week on "Grease: You're the One That I Want"

Sunday, February 4 2007

GREASE: YOU'RE THE ONE THAT I WANT --(7:00PM-8:00PM) --(TV-PG) .

"Episode No.102"

THE CASTING SEARCH CONTINUES IN NEW YORK CITY; OLIVIA NEWTON-JOHN MAKES A GUEST APPEARANCE -- The panel of judges continue their casting calls in New York City in their search to find the next Danny and Sandy to star in a new Broadway production of the hit musical "Grease." Olivia Newton-John, who played the role of Sandy in the hit 1978 movie, makes a special guest appearance. Judges include two-time Tony Award-winner Kathleen Marshall ("The Pajama Game"), Jim Jacobs, the co-creator of "Grease," and renowned theatre producer David Ian.

GREASE: YOU'RE THE ONE THAT I WANT --(8:00PM-9:00PM) --(TV-PG) .

"3 Episode"

GREASE IS THE WORD--AS TOP CONTESTANTS TRAIN AT GREASE ACADEMY -- Auditions have been held nationwide in search for the next Danny and Sandy to star in the Broadway revival of the hit musical "Grease." In tonight's episode, the top contestants are flown to Los Angeles for "Grease Academy," an intense week of training with series judge Kathleen Marshall (Tony Award-winning director/choreographer, "The Pajama Game") as well as professional acting, dancing and vocal coaches. At the end of the episode, the finalists perform and the judges will choose the top 12 contestants who will go onto the live performance episodes where America will decide who gets the roles of a lifetime.

Guest stars Adrian Zmed, Barry Bostwick, Lucy Lawless, Jeff Conaway, and Marilu Henner all come to the final performances at Grease Academy.

GREASE: YOU'RE THE ONE THAT I WANT --(9:00PM-11:00PM) --(TV-PG) .

"Episode No.104"

TOP 12 CONTESTANTS BATTLE IT OUT FOR THE ROLES OF A LIFETIME IN THE FIRST LIVE EPISODE -- The top 12 contestants -- 6 Sandy's and 6 Danny's -- will perform live and America will decide who's got what it takes to be the next big Broadway stars. The finalists will perform singing and dancing routines and the judges will give feedback before the phone lines open up for America to vote for their favorites.

Source: NBC Press Release

« Last Edit: January 29, 2007, 01:40:59 PM by puddin »

Offline BballKates

• RFF Sr. Member
  • I Love TV!
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2007, 01:23:18 PM »
well they brought back the guy i think the girlfriend dumped...and the girl ashley who cried the entire audition process.  He sang Pretty women...wasn't too bad....but she sang Still the One and OMG I turned the channel...HORRIBLE!!!! HORRIBLE ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE!!!!

What I REALLY HATE about this show...the judges are WAY WAY WAY TOO nice.  They serisouly need to be honest wtih them.  This is a broadway competition....and some of these people SHOULD Not be there.  They are not lookign for a boyband or popgroup singer.

Actually the guy the brought back was Matt, the jock who really doesn't have much singing experience.