Author Topic: Amazing Race All-Stars Media/Library/News * maybe spoilers*  (Read 177830 times)

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
Re: Amazing Race All-Stars Media/Library/News * maybe spoilers*
« Reply #150 on: February 20, 2007, 06:19:50 PM »
Exclusive Interview: John Vito and Jill, First Team Eliminated on The Amazing Race All-Stars

February 20, 2007

John Vito Pietanza and Jill Aquilino became the first casualties of CBS's The Amazing Race: All Stars during the show's premiere on Sunday.  America was reintroduced to 11 of the most recognizable and infamous teams from The Amazing Race's first ten seasons in what will surely be one the show's best seasons yet.  John and Jill, who first competed in the third season of the show while dating, have since separated and competed on All-Stars as just friends.  They were kind enough to spend a few minutes talking to us at BuddyTV about their time on the show.

When were you two first contacted about Amazing Race: All Stars?

John Vito: I think it was towards the end of the summer.

Jill: Yeah it was right around sometime in the beginning of August that they gave us a call.

What were your first thoughts when you were offered a spot on Amazing Race: All Stars?

John Vito: I think it was a little different this time for me, just because I’m at a different point in my career, so just to take the time off of work was my only concern. But it’s a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to run The Amazing Race and to be offered this opportunity twice, I really couldn’t turn it down. So, as long as I was okay to leave work for that time, I was definitely on board. And I was looking forward to doing it with Jill, of course.

Jill: Same here, same here.

What were your general impressions, any teams that stood out during your time on the show?

Jill: I honestly think that all the teams were great teams and they all have different aspects that make them great and great for being in the All Stars and we learned that you can’t underestimate anyone. Like, our season I think a lot of people underestimated Terry and Ian and they did fantastic our season. We know you can’t underestimate anyone and they all have really great qualities that make them stand out. So, we were concerned about all the teams but our main concern was really on how much luck we would have on this race and you know, whether we would end up beating each other and in this case we happened to have some bad luck, which happens.

Was there any difference, changes in production from Season 3 to All Stars?

John Vito: Well I think that since we were only there for one leg it’s a little difficult for us to gauge that, but the first leg was just much more difficult than Race 3 and more stressful. I mean it’s been four years since we were on it, so maybe I just don’t remember the intensity of Race 3 but I just think that the drive that leads the girls to the pit stop or to the detour, it was one of the most brutal experiences I’ve ever gone through. You know, it was 13,000 feet above sea level so there was altitude sickness, the road was very bumpy and, you know, because they’re trying to squeeze all the teams into the first episode, you really don’t get a feel for it watching it on television, but it was much more difficult than the previous race.

Jill: It was also different in that as soon as we started, we were already getting recognized, everyone was getting recognized. So that was totally different because the first time we did it, no one’s recognizable. So it was a totally different experience all the way around.

When you guys were finishing up that last detour, did you think there was a possibility that you weren’t last?

Jill: Yeah of course, I mean we knew that there was a very strong possibility we were in last but we were trying to remain positive because we’ve all seen the episodes, it’s very likely that somebody else is in a worse predicament than you so we kept our confidence because we didn’t know for sure and it unfortunately didn’t work in our favor but if you’re stressed the whole time knowing that you never know.

John Vito: Yeah, we were very lost and we thought that we were going to lose by a pretty wide margin and I think we only wound up coming in about 20 minutes behind Kevin and Drew, and so apparently they encountered some problems on the way also, so you always have to keep going and hope for the best.

What do each of you have in store for the future?

John Vito: I’m just back to work and you know, I’m going to enjoy the rest of the season and watch what I missed on television.

Jill: Yeah, me too. We’ve heard all about it but it’s totally different when you actually get to see how it gets edited and unfolds on TV so we’re looking forward to that.

John Vito: My favorite part of being on The Amazing Race 3 was all the great places we got to visit. I think it’s going to be a little difficult watching it, knowing that we had the opportunity to run the race again and, you know, we kind of squandered our opportunity by being first eliminated but it’s just the way the game works. I think we’re just fortunate that the past ten seasons there’s been a team that was eliminated first, that didn’t really get to experience the entire race. So at least we still have our memories from race 3 where we made it pretty far. So it kind of softens the blow of going out first on All Stars.

How difficult is it not telling anyone who won?

Jill: I think it was more difficult not telling anyone we got eliminated. I think everyone was expecting us to do really well and I know standing on that mat when we got eliminated, the hardest thing for me was I felt like I had let down and disappointed everyone I knew, including Jon Vito, my family, my friends, work, everybody. It was a tough pill to swallow, but it just wasn’t our time.

buddytv

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #151 on: February 21, 2007, 01:20:24 AM »
another interview with JVJ

INTERVIEW: John Vito and Jill talk about their 'Amazing' adventure

Reality TV World:  Did being sequestered together change your feelings for each other or for any of the other teams?

John Vito:  Eventually there were five teams there, so it wasn't just like one-on-one time.  We spent a lot of time with the group hanging out together.  I think we got to know people more and I think that everybody we were with are good people and I enjoyed spending the time with them to get to know them... although none of us wanted to be there.

more here ...
realitytvworld

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #152 on: February 22, 2007, 11:00:00 AM »
Phil interview:
" they head to South America, we'll be visiting Argentina, Chlie..we'll be getting to Mozambique Africa, we'll be hitting..Europe, some surprise places, and Asia..we'll be hitting the Pacific and then of course we move back around to the United States for the big finish."

http://cbs5.com/video/?id=20843@kpix.dayport.com

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #153 on: February 22, 2007, 11:21:04 AM »
Hmmm....I listened and couldn't tell--did he say some surprise places, and Asia--

Or did he say--some surprise places in Asia?

Makes a difference....
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Kogs

• Amazing detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #154 on: February 22, 2007, 12:07:12 PM »
Hmmm....I listened and couldn't tell--did he say some surprise places, and Asia--

Or did he say--some surprise places in Asia?

Makes a difference....

i heard and asia

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #155 on: February 22, 2007, 12:39:22 PM »
lol I can't make it out I think its " we'll be hitting Europe some surprise places (in or an or and) Asia..."

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #156 on: February 23, 2007, 03:28:30 PM »
This interview with Phil was put up today..
http://wjz.com/video/?id=25236@wjz.dayport.com

Phil: "..we're going to be heading down to South America, we'll head to Argentina, Chile ..over to Africa where we'll be getting to Mozambique ummm and a few other countries in Africa , up into Europe ..uh some surprise places in Asia and also into the Pacific and uh that rounds up the trip and brings us all the way home uh.. just over 50,000 miles on this one. I would say logically the toughest one we've done since Season 1 *cough cough * a Hugh separation between the teams checking in and at one point 17 hours between the teams .."
dude: Wow!

Phil: " so uhh some of the teams that actually left on the next leg and I was still waiting 5 hours for the last team to arrive which uh makes our life a nightmare.."
dude: because you have got to beat the teams to the next stop!?

Phil: " yeah theres a perception, and I get this question a lot, I think a lot of people are only just starting to think about it, is a perception that some how I'm always off sightseeing and shopping and I often have to remind people that the show is shot in 28 days and theres 13 shows .. and that I go everywhere they go and I can't get there any faster and uh theres no charter jets and if we have to drive 7 hours to get to the mountains I'm sitting in a car somewhere driving the 7 hours and if they spread themselves out the way they did on this season they make my life a nightmare..and uh you know I curse them.."

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #157 on: February 24, 2007, 09:38:43 AM »
The Miami Herald on the start of the race
 Couple of interesting comments--where contestants were before the race began

Big Papi--did you know Eric has a wife?? :lol: :lol:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Big Papi

• "RFF's very own Amazing All-Star Papi"
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #158 on: February 24, 2007, 10:22:07 AM »
The Miami Herald on the start of the race
 Couple of interesting comments--where contestants were before the race began

Big Papi--did you know Eric has a wife?? :lol: :lol:

I am on the phone right now. We are disappointed to say the least, about not being invited to the nuptials. I am also calling the Miami Herald to find out if there is a new grandchild as well as a daughter-in-law.  :yess:  :happy:  :wohoo:  :hearts:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #159 on: February 24, 2007, 10:29:39 AM »
Please tell the lovely couple that I said Congratulations Big Papi or is that Big Grand Papi?  :lol:

Good article thanks peach!

Offline Big Papi

• "RFF's very own Amazing All-Star Papi"
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #160 on: February 24, 2007, 12:06:57 PM »
Please tell the lovely couple that I said Congratulations Big Papi or is that Big Grand Papi?  :lol:

Good article thanks peach!

OK will do puddin. Looks like somebody let the cat outta the bag.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #161 on: February 24, 2007, 12:10:43 PM »
 :lol: Let the rumors begin  :yess: !!!

Offline cinni

• mind is tiffany twisted
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • defying gravity
« Reply #162 on: February 24, 2007, 01:34:24 PM »
wow, congratulations Big Grand-Papi!  :spitcoffee:  (sorry, could not resist.)   :lol3:
always remember....when life hands you lemons, ask for tequila and salt and call me over!

Offline Kogs

• Amazing detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #163 on: February 24, 2007, 05:57:18 PM »
grand big papi!!!!! i love it!!!!!!!!  :jam: :jam:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #164 on: February 24, 2007, 10:22:22 PM »
Amazing Race's Host Gets Down and Dirty

I was excited the other day to talk to Phil Keoghan, the host of The Amazing Race. I've watched the show religiously since Day 1 and I was always under the impression that Phil had it pretty easy. I envisioned him sitting in a cozy air conditioned room getting a call when the contestants were getting close to the mat and he'd just step out. I however was completely wrong. The super nice host told me how he normally loses about ten pounds a season, and gave me insights on some of the trials and tribulations that he and his crew faced this season alone (which airs Sundays at 8 pm/ET on CBS). In addition to losing his bag at one point and having to do an emergency shopping trip, they had to change locales on a moments notice.

"We had to change the location of a pit stop because the teams weren't going to get to a certain place at a certain time. Everything was changing and evolving. We were flying ahead to where the pit stop was going to be, and flew a number of hours to this location only to find out when we landed that the teams weren't EVER going to be able to make the route. We had to put 40 something bags back on the plane and fly all the way back again, then we ended up at a place where we weren't meant to have a pit stop, so things were a little sketchy and there were 12 of us at one point lying on the mat at three in the morning swatting mosquitos."

OK, so I totally stand corrected. And Phil — who expressed extraordinary gratitude for his hardworking crew — was quick to correct me when I said that he had it easy.

"I'm amazed that everybody always thinks that. I guess in the show I'm standing and waiting, but you only have to do the math and look at the number of shows and the number of days we travel [usually about 30] to realize that there are days where we don't get to sleep or check in to a hotel."

"On one part of the race, the teams were so spread out that there was a **17 hour difference between first and last. The first teams were leaving and I was still waiting another five hours for the last team to come in. We always hope that if we have a long spread we're at a nice pit stop. It doesn't always work like that. If you are in the salt pans in Botswana, and the teams are spread out 14 hours, it isn't like you move from the mat to a comfortable place. You are on a salt pan for however many hours it takes, or on a junk in Hong Kong bobbing up and down for 13 hours."

"I wash my hair on the side of the road, because a lot of times I can't get to a shower. I have a portable steamer and carry my own clothes. There's no wardrobe or makeup out there. It is just me. I'm not complaining, I love it because I don't want to be stuck in a studio. I just think it is not what people imagine. "

"There is one pit stop early on this season when we are at the end of a dirt road, in a very dry place, the only shelter was a rain umbrella. We were just drenched with sweat. I think I went through about 14 bottles of water. The only place to sit down was on top of a cooler or an equipment case. I don't know what people imagine I'm doing. It's not like there's a trailer out there. [Laughs] But I wouldn't have it any other way." 

** we know this happened in Europe thanks to the IGN interview
tvguide

Offline Kogs

• Amazing detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #165 on: February 25, 2007, 10:53:42 AM »
from fridays ny daily news
'Race' a nice change of pace from Oscars

Uchenna and Joyce get their bearings in Quito, Ecuador, leg of "The Amazing Race: All-Stars." 

If the Oscar races on ABC Sunday night don't interest you, there are other options.
Fresh episodes of NBC's "Grease: You're the One That I Want" and CBS' "The Amazing Race: All-Stars" are on at 8 opposite the Academy Awards.

As alternatives go, "Grease" is a waste. But "Amazing Race: All-Stars," which began last Sunday, is another of the show's patented, enjoyable high-speed chases. And this time, most of the faces are familiar right from the start.

Even if you're a less than loyal viewer of "Amazing Race," chances are you will recognize a few of the all-star players. Certainly, it's easy to recognize Rob and Amber, who competed on "Survivor" before turning their celebrity status into a ticket to "Amazing Race" and a few other reality showcases.

"I've had enough of Rob and Amber," one fellow contestant grumbled in last week's "All-Stars" premiere. "I think America may have, also."

Not quite. At least not on this show, where Rob and Amber quickly shot into the lead, and, despite wasting time on a detour task they later abandoned, maintained the lead for the first leg of the race.

They're still fun to watch, and increasingly unpredictable. Last week Rob was nice, rather than scheming and nasty, to a competitor - while Mary, wife of Kentucky coal miner David from the most recent "Race" cycle, came to this rematch with an attitude closer to the Boston Rob of old.

Other teams include Uchenna and Joyce, who won the seventh edition and hope that competing again will help them find happiness as a couple; Mirna and little person Charla, the cousins with a lot of heart from cycle five; bald buddies Kevin and Drew from season one, and blond beauty-queen buddies Dustin and Kandice from the same race as David and Mary.

Last week, when the team flew from Miami to Ecuador, Mary noticed how her husband lit up while maneuvering a four-wheel-drive vehicle over a muddy, rough wilderness road and past a rival team's slower car.

"This is fun for you, ain't it?" she asked him, as they bounced past the competition.

"Yes, it is," he smiled.

For me, too.

Offline GnarlyMarly

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #166 on: February 25, 2007, 06:09:49 PM »
Is the audio not working for you guys anymore on the insider vids.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #168 on: February 26, 2007, 07:42:14 AM »
Big news from The Early Show: 

Kevin and his wife are expecting triplets! Oh, my! :rjreffypud:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Kogs

• Amazing detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #169 on: February 26, 2007, 08:44:43 AM »
Big news from The Early Show: 

Kevin and his wife are expecting triplets! Oh, my! :rjreffypud:

i posted that in there thread in the racers forum

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #170 on: February 26, 2007, 08:52:37 AM »
oh--sorry--I'm still playing catch up!
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #171 on: February 26, 2007, 10:47:09 AM »
Congrats to Kevin & Wife  :luvya:

Kevin and Drew on the Early Show Video

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #172 on: February 27, 2007, 10:08:31 PM »
RTVW interview with the Frats
Reality TV World: Is there anybody you guys would hate to see win?

Drew:  Ahh, Charla and Mirna.

Reality TV World: Is there a reason why?

Drew:  Mirna's just a little overbearing.
Kevin:  I don't like the way she uses Charla as a crutch for everything.  The fact that Charla is a little person doesn't mean that they should get to walk down the airplane [aisle] first because she needs help.  She's just fine, thank you.  And in some ways, she's much physically stronger than Mirna is (laughing).  That and the whole accent that she has.  Where she speaks English and talks in a foreign accent.
Drew:  It's English but with a foreign accent.

Reality TV World: How was Sequesterville?

Drew:  It was awesome.  It was awesome.  I loved it, Kevin hated it.  It was beautiful.  It was 23 days of great weather, a staff of seven people taking care of us.  It was awesome

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #173 on: February 28, 2007, 11:49:42 PM »
Eventually, somebody was going to make a Star Wars-TAR connection. (they got the mat location wrong, but it's still funny anyway) :lol:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #174 on: March 05, 2007, 12:54:46 PM »
Were Mary & David even on the Early Show? I can't find the story or video anywhere?

Finally
webpage
http://www.cbsnews.com/sections/i_video/main500251.shtml?id=2536418n

Video link

« Last Edit: March 05, 2007, 01:29:04 PM by puddin »