Author Topic: EP1 ~ "Real Fast! Quack, Quack!"  (Read 72731 times)

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: EP1 ~ "Real Fast! Quack, Quack!"
« Reply #175 on: September 15, 2006, 07:33:50 PM »
 :lol3: I'm constantly amazed what can be found on the internet.   ;D

This may be a match for the night street scene in puddin's preview vidcaps.  It's apparently Beijing.  Don't ask me where in Beijing this is, but it's a wide street.  First pix is the original vidcap, and second is what appears to be a daytime view. 

:snicker:  I'm amazed.  ;)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #176 on: September 15, 2006, 07:56:10 PM »
thats it Boingo !!
do you think they both have to eat ? aka roadblock Chinese Delicacy / Chopsticks ? also Tom & Jerry mention the Golden House ?

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #177 on: September 15, 2006, 08:03:52 PM »
Nice work Boingo on the HH. Revisiting the place doesn't seem to me to be in the best of taste, but BVM has pulled some groaners before  :groan:.
On a different topic, the seaplanes are registered to Kenmore Air; didn't somebody post earlier about seaplane companies?

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #178 on: September 15, 2006, 08:13:11 PM »
Nice work Boingo on the HH. Revisiting the place doesn't seem to me to be in the best of taste, but BVM has pulled some groaners before  :groan:.

I'm guessing that showing the "Hanoi Hilton" may have been one of the conditions of filming the race in Vietnam.  Wonder if John McCain watches TAR?

Puddin, I'm clueless on the "Chinese delicacy/fish eyes barf fest.  Interesting.... that appears to be fish he's poking at with the sticks.  Maybe eat the whole fish, instead of just the eyes.   :snicker:  Also, looks like a place setting for one at each of the tables.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2006, 08:17:27 PM by Boingo »

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #179 on: September 15, 2006, 11:03:03 PM »

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #180 on: September 15, 2006, 11:30:19 PM »
.. some larger ones

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #181 on: September 15, 2006, 11:42:06 PM »

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #182 on: September 16, 2006, 12:03:07 AM »
YES to enduring 16 years of miserable Mandarin lessons!

金宅门 (pronounced Jinzhaimen) is what Tom and Terry are looking for. It translates into 'Golden House'. And if that's arriving in the airport at night, it most likely will lead us to a night food challenge in Beijing. I'm thinking the speed of completing this task will earn teams the 'segregated bunching tickets' the next morning, in tradtion with each and every premiere.

国烤鱼 yielded 蜀国烤鱼 (Zhuguo Kaoyu) on Google. It translates approximately into 'Zhu Dynasty Grilled Fish'.

Will look up the addresses now.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2006, 12:25:42 AM by Neobie »

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #183 on: September 16, 2006, 12:16:53 AM »
:popcorn: , no Asian jokes .. I promise Neobie
I cant get it any better

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #184 on: September 16, 2006, 12:28:47 AM »
Both restaurants are in the 崇文 Chongwen District, just south of Tiananmen (and by extension, the Meridian Gate).

金宅门食府: 前门东大街18号,  18 Qianmendong Dajie, 18 E Front Gate Street
Public rating of 4/10. You know how critical the Chinese are about food.

蜀国烤鱼: 东直门内大街15号-6号, 6-15 Dongzhimen Nei Dajie, 6-15 Inner E Straight Gate Street
Specialty? Fish of course! But the first comment: "There's too little sauce in the grilled fish. The charcoal's not too hot either. Pretty much standard fare on this street." The street in question is Guijie, famous for its entire stretch of restaurants.

And oh yeah. Fish eyes are eaten in China. Just not ONLY the fish eyes. How is that supposed to be filling?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2006, 01:28:18 AM by Neobie »

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #185 on: September 16, 2006, 01:35:01 AM »
This shot was taken either

between 7:44 and 8:15 am

or

between 4:08 and 4:39 pm (assumes May 29th)

Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #186 on: September 16, 2006, 01:52:33 AM »
It's a different view, and different season, but it sure looks similar to the building in Bei Hai Park, northwest of Forbidden City, Beijing.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2006, 02:05:59 AM by Boingo »

Offline banzai

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster

Offline gingerman28

• Senior Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
« Reply #188 on: September 16, 2006, 09:34:37 AM »
D-DAY's acommin'  Now it is

H-HOUR MINUS 34 and counting!!!!

Looks like we finally have some useful vidcaps to play with during the next few hours!!

Good work everyone; its looking better all the time.

Wish CBS would telecast some better promos with more action rather than just team members today and tomorrow!

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #189 on: September 16, 2006, 10:00:47 AM »
2 teams eliminated??  :o

Cleveland buddies add to diversity in Amazing Race'

The competition has a long way and many twists to go, so it's not giving anything away to reveal that, speeding to the airport, Abdul-Mani and Rudolph start out in first place. Anyone who has watched previous editions of "The Amazing Race" knows this means nothing.

"I'm very aggressive," says Abdul-Mani, who takes the wheel as they race to the airport. "He's a somewhat passive guy, which is good, because we've got to have that blend."

So half of the field will get to Beijing with about an hour advantage. It would spoil the fun to reveal much more, but merely to whet your appetite for what's ahead, let me serve up the idea of a food challenge in China.
"I'm from Cleveland, Ohio," Abdul-Mani says with a laugh. "What do I know about chopsticks?"

There are two major destination points in Sunday's premiere. The second is the Great Wall of China.

And here's the first surprise Keoghan said would be waiting for them: At each destination, the last-place team is eliminated. That's right. When "The Amazing Race" settles into its new regular time period, 8-9 p.m. Sundays, on Sept. 24, it will be missing two teams.

How do the Cleveland guys fare? Well, it's an impeachable offense for a TV critic to even suggest which teams are sent packing. You'll just need to make the trip to Beijing and the Great Wall to discover the identity of the eliminated duos.

It's a thrilling ride, and that's because the magic of "The Amazing Race" is in the editing. Moving at a breathless pace, each episode slyly juxtaposes race footage with comments and byplay from the participants. In the expert ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ hands of these crafty editors, a drive to the airport thunders across the screen like a life-and- death chariot race.

You need to remind yourself every once in a while, "Hey, they're just looking for the airport's rental lot. This isn't Charlton Heston in danger of flipping a chariot in 'Ben Hur.' "

The producers cleverly suck you in, though, wowing you along the way with exotic locations and magnificent scenery. The panoramas stun you while the personalities intrigue you. That's what always has made this "Race" so amazing.

article link
« Last Edit: September 16, 2006, 10:10:28 AM by puddin »

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #190 on: September 16, 2006, 10:06:35 AM »
thanks everyone !!  :jumpy:

Offline gingerman28

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
« Reply #191 on: September 16, 2006, 10:06:51 AM »
Go here Gman
there are photos that have the teams both lableled " roadblocks "

http://forum.realityfanforum.com/index.php/topic,8610.600.html

Right, but they indicate roadblocks in (1) China, (2) Mongolia, and (3) Viet Nam.

It is starting to look like that is the order for the first three legs, and New Zealand is being passed by!!

Another thought on the ROADBLOCK  in Beijing.  Maybe one team member has to cook the meal on the wok, and the other poor soul has to eat it with chopsticks.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2006, 10:20:25 AM by gingerman28 »

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #192 on: September 16, 2006, 10:15:36 AM »

Right, but they indicate roadblocks in (1) China, (2) Mongolia, and (3) Viet Nam.

It is starting to look like that is the order for the first three legs, and New Zealand is being passed by!!
thats what I've been trying to say  :lol: ! The tvguide article
ETA: New Zealand after Vietnam
here
« Last Edit: September 16, 2006, 10:26:57 AM by puddin »

Offline gingerman28

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
« Reply #193 on: September 16, 2006, 10:16:37 AM »
2 teams eliminated??  :o

Cleveland buddies add to diversity in Amazing Race'

The competition has a long way and many twists to go, so it's not giving anything away to reveal that, speeding to the airport, Abdul-Mani and Rudolph start out in first place. Anyone who has watched previous editions of "The Amazing Race" knows this means nothing.

"I'm very aggressive," says Abdul-Mani, who takes the wheel as they race to the airport. "He's a somewhat passive guy, which is good, because we've got to have that blend."

So half of the field will get to Beijing with about an hour advantage. It would spoil the fun to reveal much more, but merely to whet your appetite for what's ahead, let me serve up the idea of a food challenge in China.
"I'm from Cleveland, Ohio," Abdul-Mani says with a laugh. "What do I know about chopsticks?"

There are two major destination points in Sunday's premiere. The second is the Great Wall of China.

And here's the first surprise Keoghan said would be waiting for them: At each destination, the last-place team is eliminated. That's right. When "The Amazing Race" settles into its new regular time period, 8-9 p.m. Sundays, on Sept. 24, it will be missing two teams.

I don't think this is right.  Don't think there is enough time to include leg one (Beijing) and leg two (Mongolia) in the first ep. Therefore, doubt that there will be two eliminations in the first ep.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #194 on: September 16, 2006, 10:20:06 AM »
the writer wrote

assumes the Gold House / food Roadblock is one destination .
Wall of China the second destination .
It sounds like the writer saw the premiere video ?

ETA: maybe thats the twist?
The race begins in Seattle, Wash. when Teams begin jockeying for available flights to the first destination, Beijing, China.  Once there, Teams are faced with their first Roadblock, which requires them to feast on a Chinese delicacy.  As the racers continue to navigate their way through the busy streets of Beijing, they are faced with the game's first twist.  Meanwhile, the racer's physical prowess is put to the test when they must climb a portion of the Great Wall of China.

page 1
« Last Edit: September 16, 2006, 10:23:57 AM by puddin »

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #195 on: September 16, 2006, 11:25:47 AM »
Way more than enough proof that they get on the first flight? Does the sign say United?

A search yields UA875 as the only direct flight to Tokyo (where they connect to another airlines, United doesn't serve that route). It departs at 1:13pm and arrives at 3:25pm the next day. Tokyo is about two hours away from Beijing, so the timing would seem correct for them to arrive at night.

The Plain Dealer link says that the Great Wall is the second of two elimination points. Which would mean that the first is within Beijing proper, with Mongolia coming after the wall if the producers have any geographical sense or if the spoilers are correct. Right off the bat, soon after the food, on the night they arrive at Beijing? That would be totally cruel.

Oh, and the sign behind?

Reads 渔夫烤鱼 (couldn't decipher it just now, no idea why). Also on 东直门簋街, so it rules out any franchises that may exist elsewhere in Beijing. However, this poses a slight problem. This photo is quite a distance away from the Golden House, even though they are in the same district. Just an establishing shot?

« Last Edit: September 16, 2006, 12:05:43 PM by Neobie »

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #196 on: September 16, 2006, 11:49:25 AM »
The writer even hints towards Bilal & Sa'eed being the first team eliminated :
How do the Cleveland guys fare? Well, it's an impeachable offense for a TV critic to even suggest which teams are sent packing. You'll just need to make the trip to Beijing and the Great Wall to discover the identity of the eliminated duos.

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #197 on: September 16, 2006, 12:33:54 PM »
 ;D Just clearing out some odds-and-ends, mainly obvious locations in the vidcaps.  Ho-hum...  :snicker:

Looks like after arriving, they head to the Shuttle Bus/ Taxi stand area at the airport.   :plane:

ETA: Looks like racers take a taxi from tha airport to their first destination.  Just noticed, they arrive in the evening, but shot from inside of bus clearly shows a lot of daylight.  Hmmm.....  :-\    :groan:  Maybe the bus is taking the racers to the Great Wall the day after.   :angel:

« Last Edit: September 16, 2006, 02:17:48 PM by Boingo »

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #198 on: September 16, 2006, 01:49:58 PM »
My guess is that's a Seatac shuttle from this company or something similar: there's English on the windows and context in the cap ("Hi! We're racers too!  B:)  B:) ")

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #199 on: September 16, 2006, 02:03:48 PM »
Quick search reveals tons of these Rickshaw Tours of the Hutongs of Beijing.