Author Topic: Spoilerish  (Read 23948 times)

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
Spoilerish
« on: August 09, 2006, 10:35:24 AM »
Spoilerish --S13 challenges/rewards
On Atiu I learned that one of the challenges for the participants was to spend the night in the burial caves. Participants were divided in groups, blindfolded and led into the caves, without food, without water, without light. Once in the caves, their blindfolds were removed. They could drink the water from the natural sweet water pools in the caves, but often there are poisonous crabs in these pools (I saw these crabs). The pinch or the bite of these crabs are not poisonous, but when you eat them, they are deadly. Some participants, I was told, screemed with fright (how entertaining!).

On another occasion, I was told, participants were flown to Atiu for a feast as a bonus. In a shack near a beach, they had a lavish meal. As they were starving, their eyes were bulging when they saw the food. They swallowed the food eagerly, the producers of the series making sure they drank a lot of alcohol. The purpose for that excessive drinking was to make the participants sick fast and good, for that would provide for some good footage (how civilized!)

The participants were carried to this shack on the shoulders of locals in carrying chairs. I visited the shack and saw the carrying chairs."

Hi,
I am Chinagazer from Tripadvisor and I hope you don't mind me popping in.
I read this thread completely and I feel I can contribute a little bit more.

1) I am absolutely not familiar with Survivor: I have never watched it and I do not know how it works. The first thing I heard about Survivor is when I was planning my trip to Aitutaki. So I certainly am not familiar with the Survivor vocabulary. In relating what I heard on Atiu I used the words that were used by my interlocutors. Regarding the caves, the word used was "challenge". For the feast, the word "bonus" was used.

2) "Carrying chairs": the chairs I saw are not quite "litters" or "sedan chairs" as they are not covered or closed. The carriers of sedan chairs carry the poles on which the chair is fixed in their hands. On Atiu it was clearly stated that they were carried on the shoulders.
It is a typical image of the white colonist being carried in a chair on poles on the shoulders of black slaves.
Before the christianization of the Maoris, the chiefs of the tribes could not walk on the ground because of a taboo (tapu in Maori): the ground they walked upon would become taboo for anyone else to touch or walk upon. So to avoid that, the chiefs were carried on the shoulders of one of their subjects. I have seen gravures (prints) of scenes like this in old books and you can read descriptions of chiefs being carried on the shoulders in the diaries of both Captain James Cook and Captain William Bligh (available free of charge on line at the Gutenberg Project). Also in books like Alan Moorehead's "The Fatal Impact" you can read about this custom.
If you wonder how they were carried on the shoulders, it's like this: they sit with spread legs in the neck of their subject, with their legs hooked in front underneath the armpits of the one who carries them. (Like when you have a push fight in the water where one sits in the neck of a second person).

3) I only saw 3 carrying chairs. I double checked this with my daughter and she too remembers seeing three chairs only.

4) Correct about the type of plane, but Air Rarotonga only takes maximum 12 passengers on it.

5) I have been asked about the identity or description of the participants. I only have this information: I was told that one of the persons who were carried in the chairs to the shack was a "Japanese" girl and she was crying with emotion. Again, "Japanese" is the word that was used but it is probable that by "Japanese" my interlocutor meant that the girl had asiatic features, not that she actually IS Japanese.

Having read this thread I realize I should have asked more questions when I was on Atiu. Sorry.

Here are some pictures:

[attachment deleted by admin]

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: August 23, 2006, 11:45:02 AM by puddin »

Offline Texan

• Robs Bestest Angel
  • RFF Global Moderator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Groovy!!!
Re: Spoilerish --S13 challenges/rewards
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2006, 10:40:55 AM »
thanks puddin . . .think this is accurate info?  If only 3 people must be after merge and a reward trip

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2006, 10:43:35 AM »
Can you beleive that Survivor is done filming and this is the only thing spoilerish Wendy ?
I guess we watch out for the Asian girl !!

Offline Texan

• Robs Bestest Angel
  • RFF Global Moderator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Groovy!!!
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2006, 11:02:13 AM »
thre has to be more out there... but have to admit I have not been really looking :dork:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2006, 11:11:02 AM »
me neither Wendy  :lol: !

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2006, 10:59:02 PM »
Source
Tips to SurvivorFever.net and the True Dork Times. 
July 15, 2006: SurvivorFever.net and the True Dork Times receive an email tip, claiming the following:
"- 20 survivors divided up into 4 groups by race, 5 white, 5 black, 5
hispanic, and 5 asian....
-some survivors could be coming from southern california (like always), nebraska, texas, a couple new yorkers.
- weather has been relatively nice except for heavy rain at the beginning.
- i saw hispanic girl leaving from aitutaki."

per TDT

Offline Texan

• Robs Bestest Angel
  • RFF Global Moderator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Groovy!!!
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2006, 01:07:01 PM »
not sure about the dividing by race.    this will get some negative views.  And then when they say they are sticking to their original tribe then it will be it be are they prejudice or sticking to original alliance.

Just my opinion.  Wonder if they will go to 2 tribes in episode 2 or 3 like in the past.

Offline cinni

• mind is tiffany twisted
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • defying gravity
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2006, 02:11:37 PM »
not sure about the dividing by race.    this will get some negative views.  And then when they say they are sticking to their original tribe then it will be it be are they prejudice or sticking to original alliance.
totally agree. read this today and went, um, uh oh. just a really bad idea. if there is one dominant group, they could be the final 4/5 depending on how it goes. might be kind of boring. no one will leave their alliance. they wouldn't want to be seen as "traitors" to anyone, race included.

i'm also wondering how they will reform the groups. the 3 picking off the 2? don't see it. more likely two with the kind of alliances they're going to have. again, the alliiances will likely hold and the losing group will get picked off within their new one. maybe a whole random pick? only way to shake them up.

i'm suddenly not very interested in next season.
always remember....when life hands you lemons, ask for tequila and salt and call me over!

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2006, 09:30:04 AM »
WEDNESDAY MORNING ON THE EARLY SHOW

How is Barbaro doing? We'll take you inside the new Bolton Center for an EXCLUSIVE update on the injured Derby winner. Plus, a Survivor twist! Don't miss as host Jeff Probst unveils a special Survivor surprise for the new season. And, cool new technology in the classroom!

the early show

Offline cinni

• mind is tiffany twisted
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • defying gravity
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2006, 01:23:49 PM »
Plus, a Survivor twist! Don't miss as host Jeff Probst unveils a special Survivor surprise for the new season
please let this be anything but the racialy divided tribes, oh please!
always remember....when life hands you lemons, ask for tequila and salt and call me over!

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
Re: Spoilerish
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2006, 11:47:25 AM »
Darnell1980   luckily i am off on a trip for two weeks without internet and i can stop annoying you folk. but you will find at the announcement that all i have given is true. and i have come across this info in a weird way, and no i do not work for someone in tv.

i know little boot info, just that the african-am team loses the first challenge.

TDT
August 15, 2006: Tip to the True Dork Times claims that the Asian-American tribe does well at the start, but eventually gets picked off.

Offline gingerman28

• Senior Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2006, 07:12:18 PM »
The following was just posted on the Comcast Net:

New 'Survivor' Divides Groups by Race
By Associated Press
2 hours ago

LOS ANGELES - Get ready for a segregated "Survivor." Race will matter on the upcoming season of the CBS show as contestants will be divided into four tribes by ethnicity. That means blacks, whites, Latinos and Asians in separate groups.

The announcement was made on CBS' Early Show. Host Jeff Probst says the idea "actually came from the criticism that 'Survivor' was not ethnically diverse enough." He says the twist fits in perfectly with what "Survivor" does, saying the show is "a social experiment. And this is adding another layer to that experiment." Probst says contestants had mixed reactions to the racial divisions.

This time the new Survivors are stranded on the Cook Islands in the South Pacific. The castaways include a police officer, a heavy metal guitarist, an attorney and a nail salon manager. The new season of Survivor debuts September 14th.

Offline shanghilill

• " The Sole Winner of Survivor 13 Game"
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2006, 06:26:32 PM »
Oh man that seems like such a bad idea to those of us who see the bigger picture here. Guess when it comes to money & ratings..all PCness goes out the tv screen.

It's a shot in the dark..and a risky one..as to whether that strategy will pull in the ratings they're so obviously looking for.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2006, 06:30:29 PM by shanghilill »
“We are driven by five genetic needs: survival, love, belonging, power, freedom, and fun.”
~William Glasser~
Wait..that's 6.

Offline gingerman28

• Senior Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2006, 10:21:38 PM »
Here's some more:

NYC Officials Want New 'Survivor' Pulled
By SARA KUGLER, Associated Press Writer
1 hour ago

NEW YORK - As CBS prepares to launch a new season of the hit reality show "Survivor," this time featuring teams divided by race, enraged city officials are saying it promotes divisiveness and are calling for the network to reconsider.

"The idea of having a battle of the races is preposterous," City Councilman John Liu said Thursday. "How could anybody be so desperate for ratings?"

For the first portion of the 13th season of "Survivor," which premieres Sept. 14, the contestants competing for the $1 million prize while stranded on the Cook Islands in the South Pacific will be divided into four teams _ blacks, Asians, Latinos and whites.

Liu, who is Asian-American, said he was launching a campaign urging CBS to pull the show because it could encourage racial division and promote negative typecasts. He and a coalition of officials, including the council's black, Latino and Asian caucus, planned to rally at City Hall on Friday.

In a statement, CBS Entertainment, which is part of New York-based CBS Corp., defended the ethnic twist, saying it follows the show's tradition of introducing new creative elements and casting structures that reflect cultural and social issues.

"CBS fully recognizes the controversial nature of this format but has full confidence in the producers and their ability to produce the program in a responsible manner," the statement said. "'Survivor' is a program that is no stranger to controversy and has always answered its critics on the screen."

Last season, the show divided contestants into groups of older men, younger men, older women and younger women.

The show's host, Jeff Probst, said the network was aware this season's race ploy might offend viewers.

"It's very risky because you're bringing up a topic that is a hot button," he told asap, The Associated Press service for younger readers. "There's a history of segregation you can't ignore. It is part of our history.

"For that, it's much safer to say, 'No, let's just stick with things the way they are. Let's don't be the network to rock the boat. Let's not have "Survivor" try something new,'" he said. "But the biases from home can't affect you. This is an equal opportunity game."

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2006, 10:45:46 PM »
Oh wow ! Thanks Gman ..gheesh I dont know what to think ? I'm not unhappy about the cast twist I'm more unhappy that we don't have some older , normal contestants in the cast ...too many pretty people you know ?

Offline Kogs

• Amazing detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2006, 09:47:50 AM »
the people who are most mad about this are the ones who dont know how the game works. this "twist" is only 1 or 2 episodes at most. it will just be the most carefully edidted survivor yet.

Offline Texan

• Robs Bestest Angel
  • RFF Global Moderator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Groovy!!!
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2006, 01:50:23 PM »
This time the new Survivors are stranded on the Cook Islands in the South Pacific. The castaways include a police officer, a heavy metal guitarist, an attorney and a nail salon manager. The new season of Survivor debuts September 14th.

Okay I am wondering, they always name a few of the jobs... will these people be the final 4?

And I know what you mean baout no older memebers.... alot of these people have been on tc and moves.

Offline RudyRules

• RFF's Maturest Angel.
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • S1's Rudy Rocks!!
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2006, 01:50:51 AM »
Oh wow ! Thanks Gman ..gheesh I dont know what to think ? I'm not unhappy about the cast twist I'm more unhappy that we don't have some older , normal contestants in the cast ...too many pretty people you know ?
My sentiment too, puddin.  But we'll see how it goes and maybe we'll like most of them?  This might all turn out better than anticipated.  Hope so!  :tup: 

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2006, 02:31:49 AM »
Yup Rudy I am really really looking forward to Survivor no matter what .. as its getting closer I'm getting more exciited :cheer:

Offline RudyRules

• RFF's Maturest Angel.
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • S1's Rudy Rocks!!
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2006, 03:58:17 AM »
The announcement was made on CBS' Early Show. Host Jeff Probst says the idea "actually came from the criticism that 'Survivor' was not ethnically diverse enough." He says the twist fits in perfectly with what "Survivor" does, saying the show is "a social experiment. And this is adding another layer to that experiment." Probst says contestants had mixed reactions to the racial divisions.
Beauty and the Geek was a social experiment also.  Was there a big uproar from NYC or elsewhere about diversity?  The guys were unhandsome, homely geeks and the gals were gorgeous sexy beauts who were there to learn from each other the skills that they lacked.  They learned stuff they did not know diddely about before the show.  It was interesting & funny how they learned to interact with each other while getting educated!   

With Survivor CI...each race can and will learn from each other.  It will be the same principal as it was with all other Survivor seasons!!  It is a social experiment, a life changing experience, a chance to increase knowledge in various skills.  Will there be differences and touchy feelings from the 4 different races?  Of course...same as every other Survivor. 

They will be OK, and the Finale will be the samo samo as any other Survivor, with discussions of strategies, differences, joking around, etc etc.   

So, NYC officials...get a life...watch the the show without bias & you just might learn a thing or two!     

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2006, 11:21:05 AM »
what do ya think?
Bluto Delta
A trusted source that has been proven very reliable in the past has given me the Final 2.

Yul-Ozzy Final 2.

Offline reedthis

• RFF Donor
  • RFF Full Member
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2006, 11:58:59 AM »
I can totally see that but I hope Yul wins.
What We Do In Life Echoes Into Eternity!!!

Offline PotatosPunkGirl

• Big Brother Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2006, 09:05:22 PM »
what do ya think?
Bluto Delta
A trusted source that has been proven very reliable in the past has given me the Final 2.

Yul-Ozzy Final 2.

I love Yul...if he wins he will be the first ever of my favorites to win ANY reality show...if you dont count Rupert when he won that extra show

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2006, 09:26:45 PM »
I really wanted a girl to win this season but they are so " Blah" .. Yul is my favorite with Ozzy be my second ( I like hos cockiness , theres something sexy and boyish about him and all that curly hair  :flirt: )
TDT sure has a lot of Jury? might have something to do with the Final 5 in the finale?

TDT survivormeterContestants Prospects for survival

Adam
 Ep7: Safe | Overall: Early to mid-jury? 

Becky
 Ep7: Safe | Overall: Mid-to-late jury?

Brad
 Ep7: Trouble? | Overall: Just misses jury? 
 Tip to TDT: Out before family visit

Kandice
 Ep7: Safe? | Overall: Mid-jury?

Jenny
 Ep7: At risk? | Overall: Early jury? 

Jessica
 Ep7: Trouble? | Overall: Pre-jury

Jonathan
 Ep7: Safe | Overall: Mid-to-late jury

Nathan
 Ep7: Safe | Overall: Early jury? 

Ozzy
 Ep7: Safe | Overall: Late jury? 
- Tip to TDT: Does well.  - Unclear. 

Parvati
 Ep7: Safe | Overall: Mid-jury? 

Rebecca
 Ep7: Safe? | Overall: Early jury? 

Sundra
- Tip to TDT: Goes far
- OFG: Sundra present at Atiu reward (F9? F8?)  - Unclear

Yul
- Tip to TDT: Does well.
- tutorial: Makes family visit; lost a lot of weight.  - Unclear

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2006, 10:58:47 AM »
thanks to koan @ sucks:
Sorry if this is already posted..

TV Guide Magazine confirmed that another double boot episode will be on November 16, and the merge episode will be on November 23.

10/26: Recap
11/2: 8th boot
11/9: 9th boot
11/16: 10th & 11th boots
11/23: Merge, 12th boot/1st juror

11/30: 13th boot/2nd juror
12/7: 14th boot/3rd juror
12/14: 15th boot/4th juror
12/17: Final 5