Author Topic: Peter Harsch and Sarah Reinertsen -TAR10  (Read 48240 times)

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
Peter Harsch and Sarah Reinertsen -TAR10
« on: July 15, 2006, 09:44:16 PM »

Names: Peter Harsch and Sarah Reinertsen
Ages: 35, 31
Occupations: Clinical prosthetitist, motivational speaker
Hometown: Laguna Beach, Calif., Trabuco Canyon, Calif.
Relationship: Friends

Name: Peter Harsch
Hometown: Laguna Beach, Calif

Name: Sarah Reinertsen
Hometown: Trabuco Canyon, Calif

Relationship: Friends

Peter and Sarah are both Iron Man competitors who have a long history of teamwork. Sarah recently became the first female with an artificial leg to complete the Hawaii Iron Man Triathlon. Peter works as a clinical prosthetist and travels the country speaking to amputees and consulting for prosthetic legs. Both are out to win and eager to show the world that a disability will not stop them from reaching their goals.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2006, 02:57:39 PM by puddin »

Offline recar

• RFF Not So Newbie
Re: Peter Harsch and Sarah Reinertsen -TAR10
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2006, 06:56:31 PM »
i think what sarah has accomplished is amazing. i am sure these two will be very competitive.

Offline Kogs

• Amazing detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2006, 04:41:43 PM »
just a mention about tar but this is a good read

Ironman amputee brings inspiring story to Oshkosh event

Sometimes we need to look to someone else for extra inspiration.

Sarah Reinertsen, recently named the winner of the 2006 ESPY award for best female athlete with a disability, easily fills the bill.

In October, the San Diego woman became the first above-the-knee amputee to become an Ironman, completing the daunting Kona, Hawaii, triathlon course in 15 hours, 5 minutes.

Reinertsen, who was recently picked to join this fall’s latest round of “The Amazing Race” on CBS, is the special guest and featured speaker for the Aug. 13 Oshkosh Triathlon, put on by Midwest Sports Events.

Reinertsen was born with a left leg that was deformed by a condition called proximal femoral focal deficiency. At 7, her leg was amputated.

She says that her life changed several years later when she went to a track meet for kids with disabilities, and she wound up winning her 100-meter race. After that, there was no looking back.

Reinertsen has gone on to do seven marathons (New York City 1997 and ’98, Los Angeles in 1998 and ’99, Millennium New Zealand in 2000, London 2002 and Boston 2004). She’s the world record holder in the half marathon and the marathon for above-knee amputee women.

As a national spokeswoman for the Challenged Athletes Foundation, her message to those with physical challenges — and others — is that when a person believes, they can do anything.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2006, 04:51:31 PM »
From Sarahs myspace :)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2006, 10:07:39 AM »
Amputee Athlete Competes in TV's "The Amazing Race"

ALISO VIEJO, CA -- (MARKET WIRE) -- August 03, 2006 -- Ossur (ICEX: OSSR), a trusted and global developer of more scientifically advanced prosthetic innovations than any other company in the field, is delighted to congratulate Sarah Reinertsen on her selection as the first amputee to take part in CBS's Emmy-winning reality series, "The Amazing Race." Reinertsen, previously a marketing manager for Ossur North America, is also a member of Team Ossur, a group of elite amputee athletes sponsored by the company. She paired up for the show with good friend and former work colleague, Peter Harsch, CP, an Ossur clinical prosthetist whose many responsibilities include looking after Team Ossur members.
On the show, the two took on a series of stiff physical challenges in destinations throughout the world. You can find out how far they went when "The Amazing Race (season) 10" airs this fall, premiering Sunday, September 17 on CBS nationwide.

Challenge is not new to Reinertsen, 31, who lost her leg at age seven due to a birth defect. With a talent for both sprinting and distance running, she's medaled and broken records in the Paralympic Games, and in 2006 was the first female amputee to finish Hawaii's grueling Ironman triathlon. Harsch, 35, was a co-competitor, then too, also completing the punishing swim/bike/run event. The pair filmed "The Amazing Race" earlier in the year, getting Reinertsen back in the U.S. in time to pick up her 2006 ESPY award as Best Female Athlete with a Disability. She is also a spokesperson and advocate of the Challenged Athletes Foundation. Amazing indeed!

Reinertsen, an above-the-knee amputee, competed in "The Amazing Race" on an Ossur TOTAL KNEE 2000 and a TALUX FOOT. The Total Knee 2000 by Ossur is lauded for being responsive and secure -- an ideal prosthetic knee for general walking and the workplace. The Talux Foot, also by Ossur, emulates many of the anatomical features of the human foot and has been specially designed to provide a fluid, natural walking motion on a variety of terrains... just the ticket for participating on "The Amazing Race," during which they covered a lot of different and foreign terrains!

Win or lose, one thing is certain: everyone at Ossur has more than one reason to be glued to their TV sets this fall. Best of luck Sarah and Peter!

http://www.marketwire.com/mw/release_html_b1?release_id=150518

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2006, 07:38:43 PM »
For reference, the TK 2000 and the Talux foot. Interesting choices; according to this product selection page, her gear (for a transfemoral) was moderate-to-heavy duty and one step below the stuff she might use in sports competition.

Offline woden

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2006, 10:54:43 AM »

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF

Offline Aventus

• RFF Full Member
  • Jumping the shark?!.
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2006, 08:18:05 AM »
Man, week by week Peter is getting worse and worse.

I wont be surprised if Sarah leave him after the race... and he indeed start working at Burger King :lol:

Offline Jeffrey Scott

• Jenius
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Cheers from the Eiffel Tower
    • Carrot Sticks & Cottage Cheese
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2006, 09:10:28 AM »
I can't stand him. He IS getting worse each week. I feel so bad for Sarah because she liked him so much. I hope when this is all over she realizes what a dork he is. If she goes back with him, that will be sad.
When all is said and done, there is nothing more to say.

Offline whend

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2006, 02:01:25 PM »
I didn't like that team from the first episode when Sarah used her leg to get to the front of the plane.That sort of thing turns me off as does Peter's horrible personality.I doubt she'll have much to do with him after the show.

Offline Texan

• Robs Bestest Angel
  • RFF Global Moderator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Groovy!!!
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2006, 04:52:29 PM »
He is arrogant and he wants her to use the diability card all teh time.  I think she wants to prove that she can do things because she tries not say I can't.    He is jsut so unfriendly towards her.  have we seen any kind or support that you would see from a loved one, even if you are fighting.  Kiss, hug any kind of emotion?

Offline Jeffrey Scott

• Jenius
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2006, 10:22:52 AM »
Just a thoguht. Who's idea was it to use the disability card at the airport to get to the front? Was it Peter or Sarah? Maybe Sarah didn't want to do that, but went along with Peter. I don't recall if it was mentioned who's idea it was. Since then have they done that?

Offline tanbuns

• Puddin's Boy Toy
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Happy Birthday Jesus
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2006, 11:40:16 AM »
I posted this in another thread, but will post it here to.

I personally don't think Peter is being that bad. I do think he is pushing Sarah a little bit hard, especailly with her having trouble with the hydrolics in her artificial leg. But I think I heard him say last episode something about them just needing to chill and  have fun. So I don't think he is overly concerned if they lost. Sarah on the other hand, is the one shown crying all the time, and wanting to give up right in the middle of tasks. Maybe it is the stuff we are not being shown that she is mad at him about.

Probably not a popular opinion, but the can both take some blame for their problems!!!

Offline whend

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2006, 01:33:03 PM »
I agree with you Tanbuns,she cries about giving up almost every show.I give her credit for always pushing through though.Out of the two I like her more,but I just don't like that team.

As for using her disability,I honestly don't know who's idea it was.I have seen it used in trying to get a cab and also trying to hussle money from a crowd that had stopped to look at her leg.To me it may be worse if it were his idea and she allowed him to use her that way.You would think she would be more proud of herself and have more self respect.I think she may be starting to see that.

Offline Vintage212

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2006, 01:38:52 PM »
I don't like Peter. I think that he should have stepped up and done the task that involved climbing that wall. Yea Sarah was able to do it, but she really struggled. I really hope that after the race she dumps him.
oXo Justine

Offline Jeffrey Scott

• Jenius
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2006, 02:22:53 PM »
I like Peter and Sarah about as much as I liked Flo and Zach. I loved Zack, but hated Flo. This time I love Sarah, but hate Peter.

Offline RudyRules

• RFF's Maturest Angel.
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • S1's Rudy Rocks!!
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2006, 06:35:24 PM »
While I sympathise with Sarah's disability, she whines, cries & gripes too much.  She knew going into the race it would be difficult for her.  However, Peter could assist her more and offer more support.  I don't care for this couple much & feel they do not have much, if any, chemistry going on.  Sometimes, I cringe watching them!! :groan: (like Flo n' Zack.)  But, if the Race can somehow help them improve themselves, whether together or not...more power to them. 

Bashful

« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2006, 11:43:06 AM »
The Real Deal With TAR's Pete and Sarah

OK, so now that I’m back from China (see how I worked my fabulous trip in there?) I’m talking to the Amazing Race 10 couples again. Usually it’s one of the highlights of my week because I love getting the real deal on the on and off-camera drama. But this week I was not looking forward to interviewing the booted team. Why? Because Peter got on my last nerve. The way the show was edited he seemed perfectly content to let Sarah—hi, the woman with the prosthetic leg—do all the hard work. Yes, Sarah’s a buff, Iron Woman triathlete, fully capable of doing all things. But still, when she struggled through the rock-climbing task in Vietnam while Peter seemingly sat on the boat chillin’, I lost respect for him. And the only question that came to my mind was “How much does Peter weigh, Sarah? ‘Cause you carried that man though this race!” Because I have a little tact, I didn’t ask that question. But here’s what I did ask.

TV Guide.com:Whose idea was it for you two to do the race together?

Sarah:
It was my idea. We were in Hawaii in September of ’05. We had flown over to train together for a week for the Hawaii Ironman. And I was just talking about The Amazing Race and I thought he’d be just the perfect partner.

TV Guide.com: Peter were you game right away?

Peter: Oh, absolutely.

TV Guide.com:
Okay. Why didn’t you do some of the harder challenges? Sarah climbed The Great Wall. Sarah did the rock climbing and the ladder on the tower.

Peter: Well, each team player can only do six or seven challenges…and so what we would do is we would read the clue and then Sarah would decide if she wanted to do that task. Sarah doesn’t have a strong stomach. [So in Beijing] I had to eat the fish eyes. Balance on the bike is a huge issue for Sarah so when the clue said “Who’s ready to pedal?”….

Sarah: Now, mind you, there’s only a one-sentence clue. And it doesn’t really indicate what is involved. So, for example, the one in Vietnam where I climbed the wall says, “Who has strong arms and legs?” And I’m thinking it’s going to be a swimming challenge so I say “I do.”. Well, it’s not until you get on the boat and they take you out to this mysterious location that you realize it’s a big climb.

TV Guide.com: Still, in Vietnam, the clue said legs, plural, and because Peter’s a taller man, I thought he’d be like, “Okay, how about I take this one?”

Peter: Our whole thought process was ‘We are going to win this thing!” and that we were going to be there at the end. So we had to be a little smarter on letting Sarah take some at the beginning because if I would have done the first five challenges, Sarah had to do all the rest. What if we came across something that she absolutely couldn’t do? We were done. So we realized that these climbing tasks were going to be difficult for her but we knew she could complete them.

TV Guide.com: Ah, so you were looking at the end game?

Peter: We were looking long term. We really believed we were going to win and that if we didn’t win it would be because of what happened: We got bad directions.

Sarah: Yeah, some of the game comes down to luck. If you get a bad taxi driver, bad directions, or a car breaks down. There are things that are out of control no matter how strong your game is.

TV Guide.com: On a scale of 1 to 10 how surprised were you when you finished last?

Peter: Ten. I was shocked.

TV Guide.com: I’m surprised you were shocked because you verbally gave up several times.

Peter: I never quit. We won two. We finished first in the Forbidden City, we finished second and third. That’s not giving up. That’s firing yourself up and motivating yourself as a top athlete, as a top competitor.

TV Guide.com: So when you were saying “I don’t want to do this anymore,” you meant, “I wanna do this again and again.”

Peter: And I want to hurt myself more and more. As I’m saying, “I’m giving up,” I’m rowing harder and harder. I rowed past the Cho brothers, past James and Tyler, and we finish second. So, I challenge anyone to look at the results. Did we ever give up? We ran through the race. We were the leaders. We didn’t walk. We didn’t align with anybody. We didn’t need anybody.

TV Guide.com:
Well you did try to align with The Beauty Queens.

Peter: Only once to work on getting a phone. And you know what, we probably would have aligned with The Barbies for one reason: They’re the smartest, most competitive team out there—besides us.

TV Guide.com: Really?

Peter: Absolutely. They’re aggressive. They’re sneaky and they were there to win.

TV Guide.com: Who do you think was the luckiest?

Peter: Kentucky. By far.

TV Guide.com: Who was your least favorite?

Sarah: There’s only one individual that I didn’t really enjoy and I liked her teammate. But the one I didn’t like was Karlyn.

TV Guide.com: Why?

Sarah: She had a chip on her shoulder. She was the kind of person where at the end of a long day, you’d hit the pit stop and you’d say, “Nice work” and she wouldn’t even acknowledge you. And then just watching her comments on the race and putting me down for playing the disabled card when she plays the race card. We play the cards that we are dealt. It’s a game.

TV Guide.com: Remind me of when she played the race card because I don’t remember it.

Sarah: Things happen on that race that we see that may not make the air so I’m just going to be vague on that.

Peter: One thing that shows Karlyn’s true character is when Dustin stepped into the boat and cut her leg and ended up needing eight stitches because she was bleeding everywhere, Karlyn said, “Good, she deserves to bleed.” You don’t ever want to see anyone get hurt. I mean that was something permanent that Dustin has been scarred with. But Karlyn was notorious for being malicious. And I don’t think she’s a role model for her own kid.

TV Guide.com: From what I saw on the show, it looked like the Beauty Queens had stolen Karlyn’s boat—literally hopped in front of them—and that’s why she said that. She was mad.

Peter:There’s a situation in Kuwait where Karlyn kept shoving Dustin away from the gentleman trying to get directions. It’s the same thing. She bumped her. They bumped them. But nobody was physically harmed. There’s a huge difference when somebody’s physically hurt and you laugh about it. That’s wrong.

TV Guide.com: Point taken. What are some examples of things you wished CBS had shown you doing but didn’t?

Peter: I wished they would have showed me standing and cheering for Sarah when she’s climbing up the cliff instead of sitting back drinking a coke on the boat because I was out there a long time cheering for everybody. I love CBS butI laid down in the shade right next to everybody else. Everybody’s sitting on their boats cheering, but they show me!

TV Guide.com: What about you Sarah? Were there things you’d wish had not shown?

Sarah: Umm… I don’t feel like there’s anything that I wish they hadn’t shown because I guess I presumed everything’s fair game. One of the things that comes to mind for me that sometimes I’d wish they had shown how hard it is. When we were in Vietnam we had to sleep on the hard tile ground with cockroaches. We spent the night in an airport in India and had to sleep on the ground too and it’s those sorts of things that make you tired and worn down. It doesn’t make interesting television, so I don’t think that’s why it made air…

TV Guide.com: Maybe you should have screamed when one crawled on you. How big were they?

Sarah:They were definitely bigger than the ones in my Brooklyn apartment.

TV Guide.com: Slightly off-topic, how long had you been dating before the show started?

Sarah: Peter and I have sort of had an on-again off-again thing for a while, but we used to work at the same company up until about January. And at the time I was in the process of breaking up with a man that had been living with me. And Peter was getting out of a relationship as well, so we had picked up shortly thereafter.

Peter: And then we went on the race. So, a very short time.

TV Guide.com: Peter, how did you feel when Sarah told Phil you’re not nurturing or caring?

Peter: I will never be nurturing or caring when I’m trying to win a million dollars. It’s just not going to happen. Sarah had every right to say that at the time because I wasn’t there cuddling or holding hands. It was a race. I’m competitive.

TV Guide.com: After you saw the show were any apologies given?

Peter: Well I would say the one apology that I have… is that I didn’t communicate better. But at the time I was going through a recently-broken relationship. My mind shut down.

TV Guide.com:
Wait, if you were coming out of a break-up. Were you all really together or was that just a ploy to get on the show?

Peter: She had broken up in January and I had broken up since March, but what happens when you’re tired and your mind’s broken down? You dwell on the past. You dwell on mistakes that you’ve made and so sometimes I would end up blaming Sarah for problems I had in my previous relationship. And I think I failed at that part.

TV Guide.com: At times watching you two was sort of like watching the evolution of a break-up. At what point did you say, “We might need to spend some time apart?”

Sarah: I think for me, the point where I was kind of like, “Huh, I don’t really know if I like Peter’s behavior towards me” was in Mongolia.

TV Guide.com: That was pretty early on.

Sarah: It was. But there wasn’t one moment where things just fell apart. Mongolia kinda felt like, “eh.” And then you go to another city and you kind of go, “eh”. It just sort of builds. But I would do it again in a heartbeat. The Race is the hardest thing we’ve ever done. And we’re Ironman athletes.

http://community.tvguide.com/thread.jspa?threadID=800005822&tstart=0&mod=1162065646306

Offline TheCinera

• "RFF Hero"
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2006, 12:00:00 PM »
I saw this webiste while researching more about TAR10: http://www.iamsarah.org/

It's Sarah's website.  I don't know if anyone found it yet, but it never mentions once the show.  Weird.

Offline Jeffrey Scott

• Jenius
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2006, 12:23:06 PM »
Just goes to show you. We only see what CBS shows us. I serioulsy wnated them to win only for Sarah, but it's so easy to dislike someone because of editing. Editing can truly turn you into a villian or hero.

Bashful

« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2006, 05:16:15 PM »
So true, so true.  At first I also was rooting for them, for Sarah's sake.  But Peter is really a major jerk, and his explanations of his behavior do not excuse it, in my book.  But then again, there is that editing.  He appeared to be impatient, uncaring and just plain rude many times.  Sarah was under just as much stress as he was, but she didn't react in the same way.  Peter seemed to take advantage of sarah, and I thought it odd that he wanted her to do all those climbing challenges when the difficulty would be greater with her prosthetic leg.  And then he didn't even apologize for anything!  I sure hope Sarah has moved on away from Peter!

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2007, 01:10:28 AM »
I did a "mil" domain search for amazing race, hoping I'd find something more about Guam. No luck there, but I did find some news on Peter (source, towards the bottom of the page). He was hired as a chief prostethist helping out the wounded from Iraq and Afghanistan, so that's nice.  :tup:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2007, 09:45:05 PM »