Author Topic: Amazing Race 11 All Stars ..*spoilers*  (Read 800552 times)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Re: Amazing Race 11 All Stars ..*spoilers*
« Reply #1700 on: February 24, 2007, 05:42:26 PM »
Apskip! :yourock:

Wonderful and thorough job on both the white water rafting info and all the flights!

That will save us all loads of time down the road--many thanks for compiling all of that! :tup:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline mswood

• "Amazing Race Reporter"
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1701 on: February 24, 2007, 11:29:52 PM »
apskip, really great job witht he flight and what a great idea to give an educated estimate of flight to use.  I love it.

Also can't wait for the rafting to see if you hit that as well.  Keep up the great work/

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #1702 on: February 24, 2007, 11:40:30 PM »
Good stuff apskip!  :tup: I'm using your timeline for the intro vidcap's search :).

Offline scoop0

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #1703 on: February 25, 2007, 05:41:32 PM »
Sorry - to pop in here late to add to the WWR info re: Rio Futaleufu - but here's the deal down there.

The flights into Puerto Montt are no problem, but giong on to Chaitan would be. They only have a single airstrip there that can accommodate planes carrying up to 12 passengers give or take a few. They also have strict weight limits. The planes are always full with rafters, sport fishermen and avid climbers. The Chaitan airport is frequently socked in with fog and people may or may not get there on a specific day. In addition, the drive from Chaitan to the put-in takes about 3 hours.

Also, one rafting company owns the land around Rio Futaleufu and allows only a couple other outfitters to raft there. It's a class 5+ river and you have to pass a fairly rigorous test to be able to go down the river. All these things point to them not rafting there, as it would take well over a day just to get there, not to mention everything involved with actually being on the river.

However, the vid cap looked eerily like the "Fu", with its aqua color (coming from the copper in the mountains). There aren't many rivers that are that color - most are brownish.

That being said - I wish they were going there. It is absolutlely one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen and the rafting is the best ever. I'm looking forward to seeing where it actually is (so I can raft there too!)

Thanks for letting me give my $0.02. :js:

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1704 on: February 25, 2007, 08:20:41 PM »
Repeating from yesterday:

Nice San Pedro site with maps and local attractions.(Has 360 degree videos of each site)

Things to do nearby:
2. Valley of the Moon 

Located in the Cordillera de la Sal, it represents an extraordinary attraction becouse of its similitude to the moon landscape and its enormous natural coliseum. There is a big dune from which you can appreciate the zone.

Duration: 2-3 hours Distance: 17 km. 

3. Toconao and Salar de Atacama 

South from San Pedro, you get to the center of the impressive Salar de Atacama. Through the way it is possible to have a good sight of the volcanoes Licancabur and Lascar among others. Continuing with the travel you reach to Toconao and the Salar with the Chaxa lagoon which is inhabitated by flamingos.

Duration : 3-4 hours Distance: 38 km to Toconao
Value: $8.000-10.000 (per person in tour)

5. Termas de Puritama:

Volcanic hot springs (30ºC) with falls and pools, produced by the hot water of the Puritama river. They are located in a small canyon of amazing natural beauty and they represent an unforgettable experience. Today, the Hotel Explora is in charge of the administration , but the entrance is open for every person who wants to visit them .

Duration: 4-5 hours Distance: 28 km

7. Death Valley (Valle de la Muerte) 

It is a mountainous and sandy valley near to San Pedro . To get there you have to go through the Cordillera de la Sal where natural sculptures can be admired.

Duration: 2 hours Distance: 3 km

4. El Tatio Geysers 

It is a geothermal field located in the Los Andes Cordillera (4.200 mt over the sea level) which at sunrise presents impressive steaming fumaroles produced by the high temperatures of their watery craters. Don't forget warm clothing, bathing suit, towel, sunblock and mineral water.

Duration : 8 hours Distnance: 89 km

PEACH, you caught both the Valley of the Moon and the Valley de la Muerte in this posting with matching pictures from early February. Great job!
« Last Edit: February 25, 2007, 08:34:00 PM by apskip »

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1705 on: February 25, 2007, 08:32:23 PM »
scoop0, thanks for your interesting information on Chaiten and Rio Fetafeulu. Timing is the main reason I have rejected a side trip there, since teams have to be in Punta Areans in order to be seen at the time they are photographed. However, "It's a class 5+ river and you have to pass a fairly rigorous test to be able to go down the river." would also be enough to kill it as an AR11 rafting site, as there is no way the Amazing Race can send teams down a Class 5+ river.

I look forward to seeing if my prediciton that whitewater rafting will be on one of 3 rivers in Kenya proves to be correct.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #1706 on: February 25, 2007, 08:41:58 PM »
PEACH, you caught both the Valley of the Moon and the Valley de la Muerte in this posting with matching pictures from early February. Great job!

Well gee whiz what were the odds? if you post every detail of a country the odds are you will hit a few nails on the head  :lol:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #1707 on: February 25, 2007, 08:50:39 PM »

Well gee whiz what were the odds? if you post every detail of a country the odds are you will hit a few nails on the head  :lol:

Ahem...are you talking about me??   :angel:

I love looking! That's the fun part for me.... :'(     :reading:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline mswood

• "Amazing Race Reporter"
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1708 on: February 25, 2007, 08:52:10 PM »
It still counts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #1709 on: February 25, 2007, 08:58:08 PM »
 :ghug:

Thank goodness for all of us--- slightly crazy friends afflicted with OCD!
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #1710 on: February 25, 2007, 09:12:07 PM »
Hi Scoop0! :welcome:

Many thanks for the info---sounds like you know about white water! 

What class would you think this might be? looks scary to me!

[attachment deleted by admin]
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #1711 on: February 25, 2007, 09:29:06 PM »
Well gee whiz...

Snickers !
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #1712 on: February 25, 2007, 09:31:53 PM »
Well gee whiz...

Snickers !
Leave it to Beaver!!

Offline Kogs

• Amazing detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1713 on: February 26, 2007, 12:39:14 PM »
fwiw according to kevin there is going to be a bigger blow up by charla and mirna in a couple weeks. i wonder if it leads to a certain teams elimination  :lol: :lol:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #1714 on: February 26, 2007, 12:56:44 PM »
I'm catching the tail end Kogs..anything else spoiler worthy?

Offline Kogs

• Amazing detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1715 on: February 26, 2007, 01:00:47 PM »
no not really, but i think elimination station will be getting longer when more teams show up

Offline TAR8Vet

• ' Amazing Racer '
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Full Member
  • I love Reality TV!
« Reply #1716 on: February 26, 2007, 01:09:45 PM »
I know that I'm really lazy not wanting to page through the thread, but what is the latest-greatest estimation for the overall order of finish?

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #1717 on: February 26, 2007, 01:13:59 PM »
I know that I'm really lazy not wanting to page through the thread, but what is the latest-greatest estimation for the overall order of finish?
Anything for you Wally  :hearts:

Mary & David
Rob & Amber
Teri & Ian ( 7th place finish?)
Bill & Joe (6th place finish ?)
Uchenna & Joyce ( 5th place finish ?)
Danny & Oswald
( Final 3 )
Charla & Mirna
Dustin & Kandice
Eric & Danielle << winners?

Offline TAR8Vet

• ' Amazing Racer '
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Full Member
  • I love Reality TV!
« Reply #1718 on: February 26, 2007, 01:22:06 PM »
That's what I thought - thanks Puddin.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #1719 on: February 26, 2007, 01:23:05 PM »
no problem Wally.. as always nice to see the back of your head  :luvya:

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #1720 on: February 26, 2007, 03:28:38 PM »
One of these days I will be sitting behind a head that looks just like that and I will say "Wally?  Is that you?"

It will be someone else.
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline softballgirl58

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #1721 on: February 26, 2007, 04:06:41 PM »
whos gonna win????????

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #1722 on: February 26, 2007, 04:17:43 PM »
whos gonna win????????

You can read the very accurate so far "bootlist" on page 1 of this thread.
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline scoop0

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #1723 on: February 26, 2007, 04:51:16 PM »
Peach,
Thanks for asking re: the river class.  ;D Here's my take on it.

While I love rafting (the wilder the better), it's really hard to tell the class of a particular rapid from just one shot. The difficulty depends alot on what comes both before and after it, as well as the obstacles around it. I would estimate by the picture that it's probably around a 3.5 since it's pretty close to the shallow rocky shore and that the guides in the back are using paddles rather than being in an oarboat. Also, at the time of the race, the water level would not have been very high and therefore not as fast and furious. I am guessing that it looks really wild but is not terribly dangerous. Challenging, but not to the point where they could die if they flip. I just wished they showed more in the intro vid.

It's good that they're rafting in Chile, as the water is beautiful. It's not like in a previous season (don't remember which one) when they rafted in Argentina with muddy, mucky water. (I believe I read in the episode 3 thread that the detour is either dlimbing or rafting and they're still in Chile).

ETA: I looked again and noticed that only one of the four people in the raft is paddling. The other three would be working hard if the rapid were difficult to navigate.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2007, 05:05:20 PM by scoop0 »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #1724 on: February 26, 2007, 05:07:49 PM »
Thanks scoop0!

I was wondering if it was as scary as it looked--don't want any of our guys drowning! :o

We've been speculating in the Ep 3 thread about the possible location of this rapid, and so far we seem to think it might be the Petrohue.  Would you have any ideas about whether or not that might be right? I've been on so many rafting tours today that I'm all confused! :lol:

Thank you so much for all your input here--nice to have an expert on board!
RFF's Golden Rule: