Author Topic: Survivor's a sellout...  (Read 4781 times)

Offline PsychoJason

• RFF Full Member
  • youtube.com/RetroWinnipeg
    • Win with Dell
Survivor's a sellout...
« on: February 01, 2006, 02:45:55 PM »
Miss the show, or forgot to tape it? Then you must pay...
http://money.cnn.com/2006/02/01/news/companies/cbs_survivor.reut/index.htm

Offline Rob

• RFF Administrator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Reality Fan Forum
Re: Survivor's a sellout...
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2006, 03:21:41 PM »
I honestly think this is great. I don't mind paying a little bit for something that I totally forgot about, but I doubt that will ever happen! LOL

Rob

Offline Mike-e

• " Just Jack "
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I can't out-run these 3 crazy women...
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2006, 03:35:42 PM »
I honestly think this is great. I don't mind paying a little bit for something that I totally forgot about, but I doubt that will ever happen! LOL

Rob

I agree. If I lose power and TiVo doesn't record Survivor, I would definitely "buy" it...

Offline Rob

• RFF Administrator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Reality Fan Forum
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2006, 03:37:20 PM »
Yeah, I know I would be pissed if the power went off here, and I couldn't watch Survivor, and trust me, it will happen someday! I will bill the $1.99 to my power company! LOL

Rob

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2006, 05:04:25 PM »
Rob  :lol: !! Yeah i'd pay if for some reason I missed my Fav reality shows ( and bill the power co  ;) ) .

Offline Bathfizzy

• RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I love Reality TV
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2006, 10:39:37 PM »
I think this is a good idea for the Survivor Fans around the world that does not get to see the show air on their local tv.  I don't like the idea that after paying the $1.99 you only get 24 hours to view it.  I wonder if you are able to download it and then keep and watch it over and over again.  Then it is a bargain.  :jumpy:

Offline FullMonte

• RFF Not So Newbie
  • I love Reality TV!
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2006, 07:55:20 AM »
Miss the show, or forgot to tape it? Then you must pay...
http://money.cnn.com/2006/02/01/news/companies/cbs_survivor.reut/index.htm

welcome to the future.......

ABC has been offering "Lost" for purchase on iTunes, and NBC has been offering "The Office."  I'm sure that other shows are available, but I don't use iTunes, so I don't know which ones.

Offline Reality Junkee

• 'RFF's Resident Chocoholic'
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I love Reality TV!
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2006, 09:37:47 AM »
Yeah, I know I would be pissed if the power went off here, and I couldn't watch Survivor, and trust me, it will happen someday! I will bill the $1.99 to my power company! LOL

Rob

I had never seen Survivor: Amazon, so watched it all on OLN.  What cracked me up was at the reunion show, Jeff talked about a devestation in a community in Oklahoma that ruined homes (okay, that didn't crack me up).  There was a family that, even though their home was demolished, they hooked up their generator just so they could watch Survivor.  Talk about dedication!!!

Oh, and Alex from that season....is it me or could he be Jeff's twin brother??

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2006, 03:21:48 PM »

February 3, 2006
RealityTVWebsite.com

Apple Macintosh Users Left Out In Cold For Downloads Of SURVIVOR PANAMA - EXILE ISLAND

CBS´s dive into the TV download market are leaving Apple Macintosh users out in the cold.

Last night´s episode of CBS´s SURVIVOR PANAMA - EXILE ISLAND is available for downloading at CBS.com for a limited time. But CBS´s decision to use Microsoft Media Player 9 as the requirements to view the download has cause extreme frustration for all Macintosh users, because Microsoft has never released a Macintosh version of their Media Player which supports with Digital Rights Management Version 2.20 (and rumors have it Microsoft never intends to).

iTunes, which is available for both Windows and Macintosh computers, currently holds a major market share for both Music and Television show downloads, was bypassed by CBS in releasing their television shows to the public. Two of the other major television networks, ABC and NBC, have released their shows via iTunes which has lead to some major success and revenue streams for the these two networks.

CBS on the other hand worked an agreement with Google to release some of their shows through their beta service at Video.Google.com. CBS also announced last week that they were releasing SURVIVOR PANAMA - EXILE ISLAND through their own video download service at CBS.com. This decision may end up backfiring, as CBS has placed numerous restrictions on the downloading of their shows. They include that you cannot burn your downloads to a CD/DVD, you cannot transferable your downloads to any portable device (including the iPod) and you are limited to one download per PC. What does this all mean? It pretty tells you that you are not allowed to share your downloads with anyone else.

But the biggest restrictions on the downloads, which is really hard to justify, is that it may only be viewed up to twenty-four (24) hours after you initially download it. In other words you have only 24 hours to watch the show than it is gone.

Will the general public buy into this service that CBS is offering? We will have to wait and see - but the general rumblings on Internet forums and blogs are not looking to good right now.

The cost to download and rent an episode of SURVIVOR PANAMA - EXILE ISLAND at CBS.com is $1.99.

The views, comments, suggestions, and opinions available throughout do not neccesarily reflect the views of the ownership of RealityTVWebsite.com and are provided for information use only.

Offline Rob

• RFF Administrator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Reality Fan Forum
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2006, 07:59:12 PM »
CBS has confirmed that it is in talks with Apple to bring its programming to the iTunes Music Store. CBS Digital Media president Larry Kramer confirmed the news in an interview with financial site MarketWatch. The plans to offer shows on iTunes is part of a larger initiative aimed at attracting new viewers by providing access to the network's programming in a variety of formats.

Episodes of the hit TV show "Survivor" will be made available from CBS.com at a cost of $1.99 USD per episode. However, unlike iTunes that places no time limit on viewing, the episodes would only be viewable for a period of 24 hours after they are ordered. Revenue generated from these new projects would be shared among the network's affiliates, Kramer said.

Offline Texan

• Robs Bestest Angel
  • RFF Global Moderator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Groovy!!!
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2006, 01:00:29 PM »
I would buy if I missed...but the 24 hour thing ...someone will work around that.  Puddin just think of the vid caps!!

Offline Rob

• RFF Administrator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Reality Fan Forum
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2006, 01:09:55 PM »
I would say that if they get to iTunes, that 24 hour thing will be removed. I don't think CBS will do well selling the content by themselves. iTunes has proven to be a powerhouse at selling TV shows, and I am guessing that is what CBS will want to do if they want to continue to do this!

Rob

Nuala

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2006, 06:21:58 PM »
It is all about the dollar bill.

Offline Jeffrey Scott

• Jenius
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Cheers from the Eiffel Tower
    • Carrot Sticks & Cottage Cheese
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2006, 04:09:24 PM »
During the season finale of Survivor: Marquesas I was out of town and set the tape to record. While I was gone we had a severe thunderstorm and that reset my VCR. I thus missed the final episode. I would have paid 5.00 to see the last episode. Sometimes things happen, and I don't mind one bit paying a little to see what I missed. I had actually forgotten I didn't see this episode till I saw this topic. And with the OLN comment someone made, I'll have to wait for that to be reshown there. I do with that CBS would relase the DVD's a bit faster than what they are. I"m waiting for Africa to be released.
When all is said and done, there is nothing more to say.