Author Topic: TAR 25: Lee Sanders' Music Podcast!!  (Read 1922 times)

Online Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • #lookatmyeyesroll
Re: TAR 25: Lee Sanders' Music Podcast!!
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2014, 08:59:02 PM »
AND... one personal question cause I'm really interested to know... Do you have a favourite team or what sort of teams do you normally root for! :funny:

Offline Lee Sanders

• RFF VIP
  • RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2014, 09:55:49 AM »
Hi Lee,

I wanted to ask about the music you used for the second leg of all stars (2014). What was the music played during the run to the pitstop. The intense music i mean. Thank you

Just looked back at this. If I'm looking at the right spot (Brenchel et al. running through the park to the mat), the cue must be something one of the other composers has contributed over the years—it's not one of mine. I like it, though.  :)

Offline Lee Sanders

• RFF VIP
  • RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2014, 09:57:06 AM »
Wow amazing reply Lee! Thank you and I learnt so much more about the behind the scenes production of TAR.

Ok here's one last one (cause I'm greeeeeeeedy)

Any new TAR theme song soon? I loved the change during Season 14 and was hoping we'll hear another mixed up version of the theme song soon for future seasons!

I don't know on that one, Jobby—It's John Keane's main title theme, and I'm out of the loop on when they ask him to update it.

As for favorite teams? I try not to pick and choose, because I might later need to play a victorious emotion for a team I'm not crazy about, for example. It's tough to be impartial, though, isn't it?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 10:01:35 AM by Lee Sanders »

Online georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2014, 10:12:15 AM »
How does it work working with other composers? Do you collaborate at all, get to decide who does what, or is it just do your own assigned part?

And when you finally get to watch the completed show....does the music go to the background a little or is that all you can "see" on first viewing?? ??? #soNOTaMusician
"Our fans are pretty good. They don't give away too much. Sometimes people love dropping spoilers, but our fans are good. They tend to do it in such a way that doesn't ruin it for fans who don't want to know."--Phil Keoghan

Online Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • #lookatmyeyesroll
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2014, 12:38:23 PM »
Lee, just another question.. Was the "Survivor-style" music by Brenchel on last season Leg 3 done by you as well? :funny:

Offline Lee Sanders

• RFF VIP
  • RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2014, 03:31:33 PM »
How does it work working with other composers? Do you collaborate at all, get to decide who does what, or is it just do your own assigned part?

And when you finally get to watch the completed show....does the music go to the background a little or is that all you can "see" on first viewing?? ??? #soNOTaMusician
There is no collaboration between composers on the show. We're competitors for air time, in a sense.

Over the years the show has had many producers come and go, and several of those people have brought in their favorite composers to add to the show's catalog of music cues. My philosophy about all of this is that editors should be able choose the cue(s) they think work best with the scene, and sound best as music… regardless of who wrote it. Meritocracy—may the best cue win.

All of the above, of course, applies only to scenes for which custom music isn't being written… custom music is assigned to one composer only. In other words, there's never a situation where composers are scoring the same scene, working to picture, and people at the production choose which one they like best.

Hope that makes sense. And certainly I'm locked in on the music when I watch. Just like on any show. It's tough for me to get carried away by TV, film, etc. I am a victim of over-analyzing the music! "Oh, that transition was really good." "Ouch! That mix totally steps on the dialog!" "I wonder how they made that sound." "Hm. I really like how they made that character seem untrustworthy with that last little dissonant chord before commercial."

These are the things you'll hear me muttering in the living room.  :)

Offline Lee Sanders

• RFF VIP
  • RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2014, 03:55:27 PM »
Lee, just another question.. Was the "Survivor-style" music by Brenchel on last season Leg 3 done by you as well? :funny:

Not sure exactly where in the episode you mean, Jobby… I wrote a lot of that stuff, though. If you have a specific moment in mind I may be able to say for sure.

Offline Bookworm

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Gotta throw em all!
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2014, 04:47:51 PM »

Not sure exactly where in the episode you mean, Jobby… I wrote a lot of that stuff, though. If you have a specific moment in mind I may be able to say for sure.
I think he means in  TAR24 Leg 3 when Brendon & Rachel are completing the blowpipe Detour. There was a great montage and great music!
"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity" - Nelson Mandela

"We don't read and write poetry because it's cute. We read and write poetry because we are members of the human race. And the human race is filled with passion. " - Robin Williams, Dead Poets Society

Online georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2014, 05:16:08 PM »

These are the things you'll hear me muttering in the living room.  :)

:funny: I think I might be glad I don't watch with you, LOL!!! I can appreciate that attention to detail though!
"Our fans are pretty good. They don't give away too much. Sometimes people love dropping spoilers, but our fans are good. They tend to do it in such a way that doesn't ruin it for fans who don't want to know."--Phil Keoghan

Offline ichihara_yuuko

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2014, 06:57:16 AM »
Hi Lee!

I think someone asked previously about character themes. I just wanted to know aside from the Cowboys, which teams have had a cue specifically written for them? It's kinda hard to figure it out since I noticed even the Cowboys theme gets reused in different scenes.

Thanks!

Offline Lee Sanders

• RFF VIP
  • RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2014, 09:24:34 AM »
Any new TAR theme song soon? I loved the change during Season 14 and was hoping we'll hear another mixed up version of the theme song soon for future seasons!

I don't know on that one—I'm not in on their discussions with John Keane. I do know they like to refresh it every so often.

Offline Lee Sanders

• RFF VIP
  • RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2014, 09:34:03 AM »
…aside from the Cowboys, which teams have had a cue specifically written for them? It's kinda hard to figure it out since I noticed even the Cowboys theme gets reused in different scenes.

A number of teams have had their own cue written, for a number of reasons. It's sort of a gray area: Some of the music I've written specifically for teams has been to 'set the scene' for their background, rather than to depict their personalities or to 'brand' them. Mark and Bopper's first intro is an example of that—the music isn't to give them a Mark and Bopper Theme; it's to dramatize the circumstances as they talk about where they're from, and about their reasons for running the Race.

I'm afraid I'd forget someone, so I won't try to reconstruct a list… but there have been a bunch. And obviously the Globetrotters came with their own theme music.  :)

Offline Lee Sanders

• RFF VIP
  • RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2014, 09:37:30 AM »
I think he means in  TAR24 Leg 3 when Brendon & Rachel are completing the blowpipe Detour. There was a great montage and great music!

That was a cue I wrote specifically for the scene, called, surprisingly, "Blowgun." And yeah, there's a little clarinet motive in there that's intended to be my homage to the Indy-fleeing-blowgun-darts scene in Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Offline Lee Sanders

• RFF VIP
  • RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2014, 03:12:13 PM »
Episode 3 of the music podcast is up now! http://t.co/axucqTJUi9

Next week's will be longer, I promise… I'm a teensy bit under the weather. I mean, it's LA, the weather is warm and sunny, but… never mind. Check it out. :groan:

Online georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2014, 12:01:58 AM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/6aj25U78FIY" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/6aj25U78FIY</a>

I loved the music, (even without bagpipes!!) and think the "grandness" and "epic" feeling came across well. Interesting! I never thought about us not actually knowing anything about Viking music.

Offline Lee Sanders

• RFF VIP
  • RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2014, 10:44:09 AM »
The screen capture for Episode 3 looks like I ate something unpleasant. Why, YouTube, must you torment me like this?

Seriously, though, the Viking-music thing was a revelation to me, too, when I began researching it a few months ago. I figured there would be a crazy amount of information out there, artifacts all over the place, references in historical records… not so much.

Online georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #41 on: Today at 01:02:39 PM »
Lee has run into a "RoadBlock" this week but will be back with more on Monday!

Custom Search