Author Topic: Caryns Early Show Interview  (Read 2762 times)

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
Caryns Early Show Interview
« on: May 13, 2005, 10:08:29 AM »
Caryn Puts Cards On The Table

NEW YORK, May 13, 2005

'Survivor' Castoff Vents

(CBS) At Thursday night's Tribal Council on "Survivor: Palau," an obviously frustrated Caryn Groedel laid her cards on the table and sealed her own fate.

"I just wanted everyone on the jury to know what was happening," Caryn tells The Early Show co-anchor Julien Chen. "There was a lot of plotting going on that they didn't know about. The jury only gets to know what they see."

From her point of view, she had nothing to lose and everything to gain.

"I knew I was on the chopping block," she says. "I knew that Katie could not be trusted to keep her alliance with the women, that she was going to keep Ian on. She didn't have the guts to really send him packing, and I was going home and since I was going home, I wanted to lay the cards out."

It was also her last-ditch effort to save herself, forcing the tribe to face the truth, planting the seeds of doubt in Katie's head about her best friend, Ian.

"If Katie could hear that Ian had been plotting against her, then maybe she would vote for him to go home," she explains.

But just like she told Jeff Probst, at that point, she was fed up with the scheming and lies.

"Usually at Tribal Council, everyone is still playing the game, saying the right things, still making their moves. They are appealing to the jury," she says. "I'm angry there was so much deception and everyone was making it seem like everything is all happy and there was so much scheming going on."

But, then again, scheming has been, for most players, their game, so what sent her over the edge and made her expose the liars?

"I think it was Katie and Ian and the whole thing with: 'Oh, I'm so sorry.' Ian is saying I'm so sorry to Katie, and this whole love fest going on," Caryn says, "In the meantime, the women are talking about voting out the guys, and Ian is talking about voting out Jenn and then Katie. And I'm saying to myself, 'Come on. Let's be real here. Let's get the cards on the table" .
 seemed that it would have been so easy for the women to form an alliance; they had the opportunity and the motive, so why didn't they unite?

"Because Katie and Jenn were not playing to win at that point," Caryn explains. "They were playing, maybe, to be the runner-up. The only way to really win is to make moves. And neither one was really willing to make a move. They were really going to be led along and told what to do, and not take charge, and not really start making the decisions. So it didn't work. Again, the women lost an opportunity to oust the men."

And even thought she was close to Tom, Caryn says she never had an alliance with him.

"We had a friendship and said we'd watch out for each other. It wasn't really an alliance," she says and clarifies that what she said at Tribal Council was the truth, even though they both disagreed on the conversation that took place at the beach.

She says, "There's always different sides to it, and everybody perceived it differently, but, yes, that is what happened. That is how I remembered it. I wasn't intending to lie at Tribal Council. I wanted everything out in the open."

So now the competition is among Ian, Tom, Katie and Jenn, and the way to victory is winning the challenges ahead, Caryn says.

"If the challenges can be such that one of the women can win, then that will be a different game from if the men keep winning immunity and control the game," she says.

As for her, Caryn says she has no regrets. "It was a great game. Loved the experience and would do it again in a heartbeat."

Don't forget the big two-hour season finale of "Survivor: Palau," this Sunday night at 8:00 p.m. ET/ 7:00 p.m. CT, on CBS. And on Monday morning, the last "Survivor" will get the million-dollar winner's check on The Early Show.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/05/13/earlyshow/series/survivor/main695020_page2.shtml

Offline drumstyx47

• RFF Full Member
  • Emilio says: Go check out Survivor: Second Chance!
Re: Caryns Early Show Interview
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2005, 11:45:48 AM »
geez...
does it bug anyone else when a survivor contestant complains about everyone lying?
News Flash Caryn:  IT"S SURVIVOR! PEOPLE LIE! THATS HOW IT WORKS!
oh, and by the way caryn, you're a freakin lawyer. don't say you've never lied.
just had to get that off of my chest.
"I stick around until they start talking about gay stuff or Jesus stuff, then i just walk away" -Rudy, on Tagi's group discussions