Author Topic: Gregg's Early Show highlights  (Read 2626 times)

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
Gregg's Early Show highlights
« on: May 06, 2005, 10:17:17 AM »
Early Show Highlights
Survivor: Palau Episode 12 Cast-Off
Gregg Carey
(SurvivorFever.net 5.06.05)

Rene Syler:  Gregg Carey, good morning.  You got hit by a freight train named Tom and Ian last night.

Gregg:  I sure did. I should have seen it coming but to be honest I didn't see it coming at all.

Rene Syler:  You were very surprised.  You were ousted by Caryn, Tom, Ian and Katie turned on you after you win the reward challenge.  You take Jenn and Katie and she turns on you.

Gregg:  I kind of set myself up for it.  I left my two biggest competitions in Tom and Ian out there on the island to plot with Caryn who was desperate for a vote and as soon as I made that decision...I was just trying to be a good guy and let the girls enjoy something and one thing led to another.

Rene Syler:  That was a million dollar cruise.

Gregg:  It sure was.  It was a good time.  I don't know if it was worth a million dollars but I had a great time. 

Rene Syler:  Should you have taken Tom and Ian on the cruise?

Gregg:  What I should have done...I wanted to give that reward to someone who hadn't experienced anything.  I had already been to the Bai.  If I had Ian go in my place, which would have been a tough thing to do, I may not be sitting here today.

Rene Syler:  Katie really...I was surprised that she turned on you.

Gregg:  I was surprised.  I had a great time with her out there on the yacht.  To see that unfold was disappointing but it did make sense. I didn't expect her to force a tie just for me.  For her, the position that she was in, it may have been the best move at the time.

Rene Syler:  You actually had a couple of alliances working.  With Janu and Coby and Jenn and then you had this other alliance.

Gregg:  I think you always need options and at that point in the game you're seeing who you can trust.  I wanted to trust Coby but at the final 9 he goes over the Stephenie and just kind of reveals all of our plans.  At that point I'm not going to make a risk for someone who I can't trust.

Rene Syler:  Why didn't you vote off Tom when you had a chance?  Because you were really adamant about getting Stephenie off, she was the remaining member of the Ulong Tribe.  Why Stephenie?  Tom seemed to be the challenge at that time.

Gregg: Tom was definitely the bigger challenge of the two but I was very adamant about Koror taking this all the way to the end.  I'm a team player and I was trying to hold my word to Tom.  I knew as soon as Tom is gone that just puts the target on Jenn and I, basically puts the target on me.  I saw Tom as a buffer and I was going to make my move at the very last moment.  Unfortunately it was one moment too late.

Rene Syler:  Let's talk about Jenn.  You had this sort of island romance.  This whole island romance thing I don't get.  The only time it's worked has been with Rob and Amber in Survivor: All Stars.

Gregg:  I wasn't trying to do a repeat of that.  Jenn and I kind of bonded early and we knew that would put a target on us.  We had to step back.

Rene Syler:  But you guys never stepped back.  You guys are cuddling the whole time.

Gregg:  We did some cuddling but Jenn was with the girls, I was with the guys.  We're two sets of eyes, two sets of ears.  Always knowing the lay of the land.  As soon as I exposed the fact that "hey, Jenn come with me for this reward", we're together, our strategy falls apart, I'm vulnerable and I'm here today.

Rene Syler:  Are you guys still together? Still dating?

Gregg:  Everything on that island was real, the bond. It happened work out good for us in terms of an alliance.  I live in Chicago, she lives in California.  We'll have to see what happens.

Rene Syler:  That's what they have airplanes for.  Gregg, thanks alot.

Gregg:  My pleasure.

as posted at ~
http://www.survivorfever.net/s10_es_episode12.html

Offline Texan

• Robs Bestest Angel
  • RFF Global Moderator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Groovy!!!
Re: Gregg's Early Show highlights
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2005, 12:33:23 PM »
I am glad he is gone...OH we did not really cuddle....And Please he broke his word right there at the reward challenge because of Jenn....I would not have trusted him.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
Gregg's TV Guide interview
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2005, 10:43:46 PM »
Survivor Ken Doll's Weak for Women
by Angel Cohn

Gregg Carey

Survivor: Palau's Gregg Carey hoped his "friendship" with petite blonde Jennifer would carry him to the final two. The Ken doll made a fatal mistake, however, by taking the Barbie clone and her pal Katie on a reward cruise. Sure, they swam with dolphins, reunited with family members, ate and showered. But they also left tough competitors Tom and Ian behind with Caryn to plot against them. Here, Gregg talks to TVGuide.com about underestimating his opponents.

TVGuide.com: Were you confident about your decision to take Jennifer and Katie on the reward cruise?
Gregg Carey: It's a fine balance between confidence and paranoia, and I let the confidence creep up on me. The problem was that I thought there were only five people left [in the game]. I forgot about Caryn. It was probably the dumbest move I could have made in the game. It was honestly an innocent mistake. I wasn't like, "Ooh, I'll take Jennifer and Katie because then I'd have an alliance of three." They hadn't [received] any rewards, so I wanted to allow them to experience other things outside the game. In hindsight, I think I should have taken Ian, because Ian hasn't been on any rewards. But the fruit was dangling in front of me — and I couldn't let it go! I collapsed and crumbled like a little wuss.

TVG: Yeah, but Ian gets to swim with dolphins for a living.
Gregg: That's what I said! For the first few hours, I was thinking, "Man, I feel so bad for those guys left back there alone." Jenn's like, "Gregg, just calm down." But I was like, "No, that's horrible." But then, we went to swim with dolphins and I was like, "You know what? That dude gets to swim with dolphins all the time."

TVG: You seem to have guilt issues. Do you have a guilty conscience?
Gregg: I do. I think I am just a nice guy. I wasn't going to let these rewards distract me from what my original plan was, but that's a lot easier [said than done]. I think I literally gave Ian and Tom the knife to stab me in the back. If I was shunned and
on the beach with nothing to do but plot and be bitter, I'd probably do the same thing.

TVG: Even Katie turned against you after she swore loyalty. Did that surprise you?
Gregg: I was shocked at the end. But in terms of good game play, why should she risk taking a stone and drawing a tie?

TVG: But how do you know that's going to happen? Survivor switches things up.
Gregg: That's true. You want to believe.

TVG: Host Jeff Probst seemed mean for picking on you about asking Jennifer's permission before you took down her torch at the reward.
Gregg: He was hilarious. He was bustin' my b---s. Geez, Jeff, everything's got to be about the game? He uncovers that stuff and it brings a whole new dynamic to the game that you've got to be prepared for. It adds complexity. He observes things that we may not see, because we live with the people and take things for granted. He calls 'em out.

TVG: Don't you think that, after Rob and Amber's alliance, Survivors are on the lookout for couples?
Gregg: I agree. I knew who Rob and Amber were, [but] I never watched All-Stars.

TVG: So cozying up to Jennifer wasn't a strategy?
Gregg: It wasn't. My strategy was to assess the lay of the land and build relationships with everyone and then look for opportunities where I could establish myself in an alliance with equal risk and reward. When you do that, you limit your chances of people turning on you. There was a final-four alliance of me, Ian, Katie and Jenn. I figured two guys, two girls, we'd battle it out and let the chips fall where they may. That was my goal. I didn't say, "Oh, there is Jenn, I'm gonna hook up with her and we're going to take it to the end."

She talked to me about the all-girl alliance and I encouraged her, "Jenn, this is your game. If you think that's your best move, then make it. I don't want to have a say, but just know that you are in a really good position right now with me, Ian and Tom. You and Katie almost have a free ticket to the final four. If you go to the all-girl alliance with Stephenie, you break up this final-five alliance and people would be p----d off."

TVG: Did you have feelings for Jennifer or was it all about the game?
Gregg: My feelings weren't game play. You can't hide feelings or manipulate people like that out there. At least I'm not capable of that. You saw how guilty I got just putting people's torches out. I feel bad about that stuff. [Our] relationship was real.

TVG: Think you and Jenn might date now?
Gregg: First and foremost, I think we don't want to lose the friendship that we have. I live in Chicago and she lives in L.A. You never know, but I don't want to risk [losing] a friendship

http://www.tvguide.com/news/insider/050512a.asp