Author Topic: 'American Idol' Runner-Up Cited For Reckless Boat Driving  (Read 2497 times)

Offline Rob

• RFF Administrator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Reality Fan Forum
'American Idol' Runner-Up Cited For Reckless Boat Driving
« on: July 03, 2003, 11:43:56 AM »
(7/3/03, 12 p.m. ET) -- No, it's not Clay Aiken. Last season's American Idol runner-up, Justin Guarini, was ticketed over the weekend for allegedly almost running over a 5-year-old girl with a personal watercraft at Joe Pool Lake in Arlington, Texas. According to the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, the incident occurred at approximately 7 p.m. on Saturday (June 28), after Guarini, Idol winner Kelly Clarkson and a group of their friends had been taking turns riding the jet-ski for most of the afternoon. Guarini had taken a spin on the vehicle and drove it up onto the beach, coming within a few feet of a young girl, whose father confronted Guarini.

The man told the paper that the Idol singer laughed and ran off, at which point the police were summoned and wrote Guarini a ticket for the offense. The father, Clint Heizer, said, "If they were just apologetic, everything would have been all right."

The penalty for unsafe boat operation carries a fine of up to $2000 and a maximum of 180 days in jail. The pair of young celebrities were ejected from the park after Guarini was issued the ticket.

It's not likely that the fallout from the incident will keep Justin Guarini from his summer tour and promotion plans for his new self-titled album. "There hasn't been much promotion so far because we've really been getting the movie stuff out of the way, and now, you know what, we are rolling out with promotion with the album,” Guarini said. “So, you know, we're just gonna push it out, and I'll be all over the country promoting the album and then touring later this summer."

Guarini will perform "Sorry," the first single from his album live on ABC's Good Morning America on Friday (July 4) from the National Constitution Center in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

Offline Bathfizzy

• RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I love Reality TV
Re:'American Idol' Runner-Up Cited For Reckless Boat Driving
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2003, 08:09:38 PM »
That was rather reckless of Justin wasn't it?  I would have been freaked also.