Author Topic: Sour Notes...Already?  (Read 2859 times)

Offline Rob

• RFF Administrator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Reality Fan Forum
Sour Notes...Already?
« on: May 24, 2003, 11:34:22 AM »
LOS ANGELES - Only days after cuddly big man Ruben Studdard won the American Idol crown, some sour notes are sounding.

According to Internet gossip Matt Drudge, serious questions are being raised about the integrity of the final Idol vote Wednesday, and the entire franchise may be at risk.

Studdard beat out Clay Aiken's gut-busting Broadway sound by 134,000 votes out of a total of 24 million phone-in votes. Or did he?

On his Web site, Drudge quotes an anonymous top executive from a rival network who smells something fishy.

"Listen, I've been around Hollywood for a long, long time, and this reeks of a contrived, phoney ending," the exec says. "No one here believes for one second the votes landed just 1,300 apart. It's a disgrace. ... In fact, I think we are looking at a modern-day version of the $64,000 Question."

The source points to Idol host Ryan Seacrest's questionable math during the Fox show. Seacrest announced that Ruben had won by a mere 1,335 votes and a 50.28 per-cent score for Ruben. Problem is, that figure puts him about 134,000 votes ahead of Clay. Fox says there's nothing more to the issue than Seacrest misreading the figure.

The source suggests an outside audit be performed on the vote tally, but he stopped short of calling for an official criminal probe. "I know how this works, and I just do not think the truth is being told here."

Fox will launch an internal review of what led to the voter tally confusion, said a network official.

Despite the confusion, the night was a ratings bonanza for Fox, peaking at 40 million during the last half hour. That tops the ratings for the Academy Awards in March.

Offline Rob

• RFF Administrator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Reality Fan Forum
Re:Sour Notes...Already?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2003, 01:32:47 PM »
Here is another article from the AP

LOS ANGELES – Turns out "American Idol" host Ryan Seacrest can read.

On the Fox talent-search show's finale Wednesday, Seacrest twice announced incorrect numbers in describing how close the final vote was between winner Ruben Studdard and runner-up Clay Aiken.

"It wasn't his fault," Fox spokesman Scott Grogin said Friday. The first incorrect figure – 13,000 – was displayed on the TelePrompTer; the second – 1,300 – was written on a card given Seacrest.

The actual spread between the two contestants, out of nearly 24 million votes counted, was about 130,000, according to the network.

Grogin did not detail how Seacrest was given wrong information or by whom.

Offline Bathfizzy

• RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I love Reality TV
Re:Sour Notes...Already?
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2003, 04:45:21 PM »
That's good to know that Ryan can read.  I guess the person writing up the info doesn't know their decimal points.