Author Topic: Richard Hatch's BIG Mistake  (Read 6183 times)

Offline irelen

• RFF Sr. Member
Richard Hatch's BIG Mistake
« on: January 18, 2005, 11:50:39 PM »
Ok, PLEASE don't flame me, but I didn't know where else to put this, and iI found it to be hilarious, plus the part about the finale payment is spoiler-ish.  Found it on Yahoo.com.

Entertainment - AP Gossip/Celebrity
AP
Hatch to Plead Guilty to Tax Evasion

Tue Jan 18, 4:33 PM ET
Add to My Yahoo!  Entertainment - AP Gossip/Celebrity

PROVIDENCE, R.I. - Richard Hatch (news), who became a millionaire when he won the first-ever "Survivor" reality show, has agreed to plead guilty to two counts of tax evasion for failing to report income, including the $1.01 million he won on the show.

Photo
AP Photo

Related Links
• U.S. v. Richard Hatch (FindLaw)

Federal prosecutors charged that Hatch, 43, filed false 2000 and 2001 tax returns, omitting his income from the CBS show, as well as another $321,000 he was paid by a Boston radio station.

The penalty could be up to five years in federal prison and a $250,000 fine for each charge. However, as part of the plea agreement filed Tuesday in federal court, the U.S. Attorney's office said it would recommend a lesser sentence.

The agreement isn't binding, and Hatch could still choose to plead innocent and proceed to trial.

A message left at Hatch's Newport home wasn't immediately returned.

Hatch was scheduled to be arraigned in U.S. District Court in Providence on Monday.

The charges were announced Tuesday by the U.S. Attorney's office. The details of the plea agreement appeared in court documents, which were signed by Hatch on Jan. 6 and filed Tuesday.

According to the U.S. Attorney's Office, Survivor Entertainment Group paid Hatch $10,000 in August 2000 for appearing on the final episode of the reality show and $1 million for being declared the show's winner. Prosecutors allege that in November 2002, Hatch filed a false personal income tax return for the 2000 tax year by failing to report the $1.01 million.

Prosecutors also said that Hatch failed to report income he earned working as on-air co-host and on-air personality for "The Wilde Show" on WQSX-FM in Boston between January and December 2001.

>^% >^% >^% How dumb must HE be feeling now! Did you REALLY think that you'd get away with it Richie?

Offline irelen

• RFF Sr. Member
Re: Richard Hatch's BIG Mistake
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2005, 11:52:51 PM »
As for the prison time, maybe he'll meet someone new!  _*>/ -^* -^* -^* -^* -^* _(* _(* -^* _(* -^* _*< /)*

Offline RudyRules

• RFF's Maturest Angel.
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • S1's Rudy Rocks!!
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2005, 12:10:13 AM »
I read that in the news today & am flabbergasted!!  How on earth could Rich be so dumb??!  8-)'
Well, I don't feel sorry for him & hope he's learned a lesson.  I'd like to hear HIS comments about it if anyone hears of any...

Offline irelen

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2005, 12:18:44 AM »
Well, he might not be able to talk about it yet...his mouth might be busy! @(^

Offline RudyRules

• RFF's Maturest Angel.
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • S1's Rudy Rocks!!
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2005, 01:55:08 AM »
yeh...that's for dang sure, irelen!  *(^

Offline whiskey lover

• RFF's All-American gal!
  • RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2005, 01:01:17 PM »
Did he think the IRS would notice he won a million on a national tv show? What a moron!
If you don't talk to your cat about catnip, who will?

Offline 'keeta

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • HOME!
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2005, 02:16:58 PM »
What they get paid for every appearance? Or was this just the first season? Why is everyone so hush-hush about the payouts?

Richard probably won't get any jail time, because of his plead bargain.
Make it Idiot Proof and Someone will make a better Idiot.  :whip:

Offline Blue Jean Baby

• RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2005, 06:19:21 PM »
Well, he might not be able to talk about it yet...his mouth might be busy! @(^

i can not believe someone felt compelled to say that.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2005, 06:22:57 PM »
 (%# thats  our  irelen , shes full of surprises   /-/  <)^

Offline RudyRules

• RFF's Maturest Angel.
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • S1's Rudy Rocks!!
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2005, 01:57:19 AM »
 &)#

,.(

Hatch get lost.
Whata jerk.

Offline 'keeta

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • HOME!
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2005, 02:01:29 AM »
Don't worry, I am sure he is doing some jerking.
Make it Idiot Proof and Someone will make a better Idiot.  :whip:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2005, 11:24:17 AM »
  ((^ (%#

Offline Swanee

• RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Witless Protection Program Graduate
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2005, 03:30:05 PM »
Maybe Mark Burnett will decide to do a Reality Show from prison with Richard like he's planning to do with Martha Stewart! :)*
I'm pantless but not hatless!! :ass:  Yup, I'm shirtless now, too :boobs:

Offline irelen

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2005, 11:01:12 PM »
A reality show from prison starring"Jerkoff" Rich Hatch? Only on Showtime! Actually, Pay-per-view.

88))

If you're reading, don't get turned on by that ASS Rich; I am a female! ]8] ]8]

Offline amikino

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2005, 03:29:37 PM »
The odd thing about this is that the IRS usually sends out notices before they file criminal charges.  Unless the amount Hatch owes is over some threshhold.  I've seen these notices for people who haven't filed and the notice will include income that has been reported for a tax year, penalties for failure to file, late filing, and then, of course, the interest for late filing.  I can't fathom that Hatch hasn't been contacted by the IRS prior to their legal filings.  So, what prevented him from getting with the IRS and working out the payment with them?  I don't get it.  Most of you don't like Hatch and I hope it's not because of his alternative lifestyle. 

Offline irelen

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2005, 09:55:32 PM »
I never said that I don't like Hatch. I think that he's a shrewd gameplayer, the best the game has seen yet. I don't know him well enough to say whether or not I like him. What I CAN say is that I don't like his character on the show. We all know the difference. Editing. 

As for his lifestyle, honestly, what does it matter? If he and his BF are both adults, and they are happy, more power to them. Happiness is in short supply in our world. BUT, if you're going to be as flamboyant and flaming as he is and be that way in public, (and straight guys CAN be flamboyant too) be prepared to be picked at. It doesn't mean we are homophobes, just that we find humor in life. I am an equal opportumity witch, and I make fun of straight people too! Have you read my comments on Probst? {f#}

Offline amikino

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2005, 01:37:06 PM »
No, where are your Probst remarks?  I agree, Richard Hatch played the best game mainly because he was first and he had the sense to know what to do when he got there.  I don't think any of the other players had the vaguest idea what to do to win that first season.