Author Topic: Contestant Newspaper articles ~  (Read 12502 times)

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
Contestant Newspaper articles ~
« on: January 14, 2005, 04:44:57 PM »
Gregg Carey~

Ashland native takes on 'Survivor: Palau'
By Theresa Edo / News Staff Writer
Friday, January 14, 2005

ASHLAND -- Rumors started swirling a little more than a week ago, and yesterday morning residents confirmed their suspicions that a former hometown football hero will star on the latest season of one of TV's hottest reality shows.

Gregg Carey, 28, an Ashland High School Class of 1995 graduate, will try to outwit, outplay and outlast 19 other contestants to win the $1 million prize on the 10th edition of CBS' "Survivor," set in the Pacific island nation of Palau. Friends say Carey and his family are mum about his stint on the reality television show watched by millions.

"His mother kept it a great secret. She was the only one who knew," said family friend and neighbor Robert Thacker. "What he knows he's not telling. I'm not even sure he knows what happened. I think they even try to confuse the contestants."

Carey's mother, Bonnie Carey of Ashland, did not return a phone call yesterday seeking comment.

Thacker said while Carey was away from mid-October until early December filming "Survivor: Palau," he told no one but his mother. Thacker, who spent Christmas Eve with Carey, said he lost 30 pounds during the competition.

"He didn't even know who won the presidential election. They really keep them secluded," said Thacker. "Since he lives in Chicago now, we didn't even know he was gone."

Apparently, in "Survivor: Palau," which premieres Feb. 17, all bets are off. During the live "Vanuatu" finale, host Jeff Probst promised that in Palau, "the game will be changed in a dramatic way. Everything the survivors have come to expect will be wiped out in the first 10 minutes."

Carey's eighth-grade English teacher Marybeth Gallant joked yesterday that she hoped he would draw some of his "survivor" skills from a short story he read in class, "The Most Dangerous Game."

The show's cast is a diverse "tribe," aged 21 to 57 and including a bartender from New Orleans, a firefighter from New York, a dolphin trainer from Florida and a Las Vegas showgirl.

While in high school, Carey was a two-sport captain -- football and baseball -- and played quarterback and shortstop. He earned team MVP and county All-Star honors at both positions.

"He's the perfect one for this, because he's naturally athletic," said Thacker. "You have to be physically able to compete."

Carey's father, James Carey, the former director of health and physical education in the Framingham schools, died unexpectedly in October 2003. Framingham High Principal Ralph Olsen said the School Committee is considering naming the school's sports complex after James Carey.

Olsen, who was principal of Ashland High while Carey was in school, said Carey was one of the first students he met with to discuss "positive, but critical" comments for how to improve the school.

"He was perceptive, but very proactive," said Olsen. "He was reserved but at the same time he was an excellent person, so he drew attention from that."

And Carey was popular with the ladies, friends said yesterday.

"He just had a certain charisma," said Jim Tessier, a former friend.

An apparent Frank Sinatra fan, Carey's senior yearbook quote was from the crooner's hit "My Way." "I grew tall, through it all, and did it my way."

Recreation Director Kelly Rund, who graduated from Ashland High a year after Carey, said the department is considering hosting a "Survivor Kick Off," to view the first episode on a big screen at the Community Center.

"He's a face everyone in town knew," said Rund.

Kevin Johnson, School Department buildings and grounds supervisor, said Carey worked for the department as summer help while he was in high school. "He was a really great kid, from a great family," said Johnson.

In high school, Carey was active in student government and a member of the National Honor Society.

Carey attended the University of Pennsylvania, where he studied chemical engineering and received a bachelor of science degree in engineering. He also played college football and was a member of a group of campus leaders known as the Friars Senior Society.

Following graduation, Carey moved to Boston, where he worked as a project manager for a business and technology consulting company. In October 2002, he was transferred to Chicago.

Carey's hobbies include photography, music and working out. He has competed in adventure racing and climbed Mount Fuji in Japan in September. Currently single, he has a sister, Jill.

( (Associated Press material was used in this report. Theresa Edo can be reached at 508-626-3919 or tedo@cnc.com.) )

source~
http://www.metrowestdailynews.com/localRegional/view.bg?articleid=87560

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
Re: Contestant Newspaper articles ~
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2005, 04:46:24 PM »
Bobby Jon Drinkard~

Drinkard will try to 'survive' Palau

By Jaine Treadwell, The Messenger

Rumor is now "reality."

Bobby Jon Drinkard of Troy is among the 20 hopefuls competing on the reality television show, Survivor: Palau.

The identities of the new 20 castaways were unveiled Thursday morning on The Early Show and confirmed what an "underground" website had reported earlier -- that one of Troy's favorite sons is one of the hopefuls.

The castaways will begin with a group of 20, with three being sent home in the first episode when the 10th installment of the hit series premiers at 7 p.m. on Thursday, Feb. 17 on CBS. The show takes place on Palau, an island located just north of the equator in the remote waters of the Pacific

The announcement caused quite a stir around Troy and Pike County but mum's the word for the families of the survivors.

Peggy Vargas, a spokesperson for Colleen Sullivan, vice president publicity for CBS Network, said Sullivan prefers to wait until the show premieres on Feb. 17 before loosening the orders on the families.

However, Andy Blair talked openly about his friend and his chance of being the last survivor standing.

"Bobby Jon is an avid outdoorsman. He hunts and fishes," Blair said. "He grew up in Pike County so many of the things the survivors have to do should be second nature to him and put him ahead of the others on the show."

Blair said that he wasn't sure if Drinkard would be the one to get a fire started using only what Mother Nature offered.

"I don't know if Bobby Jon will be able to do that or not," he said, laughing. "That's tough."

But Blair is sure that his friend has the athletic skills necessary to keep him in the game.

"We've always said that if anybody around here could compete in Survivor, it would be Bobby Jon," he said. "He played football and baseball and has all the skills to compete with any of those on the show. He's a great, outgoing guy and this is right up his alley. He'll do good."

Blair said he has watched several seasons of Survivors and he won't miss a single one this time.

"We should have a Survivor party every time it comes on," he said.

Another friend, Tommy Lucas was equally sure that Drinkard will be among the last to be kicked off the island or maybe the sole survivor.

"People like Bobby Jon. He gets along with everybody. He won't go behind anybody's back to say things or do things. He's just not like that," Lucas said. "He's a team player and he's a good leader. When he makes up his mind to do something, he'll do it and he'll get others to go along with him."

Lucas said Drinkard's background and experiences have prepared him to survive as a castaway on an island with a bunch of strangers.

"Bobby Jon grew up on a farm. He hunted and fished so he's used to being outdoors. That won't be a problem for him at all," Lucas said. "He's an athlete so he will be able to handle the physical challenges."

Drinkard's friend said he also has the spirit of a daredevil and that should be a plus for him.

"He likes to compete and he's head strong, too," Lucas said laughing. "I'm anxious to see him on the show and I believe that he will be one of the last ones standing."

Lucas' dad, James Lucas, has watched Drinkard grow up. He coached Drinkard in baseball and football since he was knee high and he has no doubt that he will have little difficulty "surviving" anything that he encounters.

"Bobby Jon's an 'old country boy so he'll do fine," James Lucas said. "He's an athlete and has always worked hard at anything he did."

Lucas said he's not surprised that Drinkard would want to be on a show like Survivor.

"He's always been a little daresome and, yeah, I can see that he would want to do something like this," Lucas said. "Bobby Jon has a strong determination and he'll give this everything that he has. I'm not into reality shows, but this is one that I'll watch."

Drinkard's friends believe he has all the qualities and skills necessary to make him a survivor. But the activities coordinator at Charles Henderson High School, Betty Wagoner, might have added the one that will make Drinkard a winner at whatever he does. "He's just a sweet young'un," Wagoner said. "A sweet young'un."

source~
http://www.troymessenger.com/articles/2005/01/14/news/newssss04.txt

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2005, 04:49:21 PM »
Ibrehem Rahman ~

Parker grad joining cast of `Survivor' contestants
Friday, January 14, 2005
MARY COLURSO
News staff writer
A Birmingham waiter will join the ranks of Alabama residents who have eaten slugs, sung show tunes, leapt from tall buildings or otherwise graced reality TV.

Ibrehem Rahman, 27, is one of three Alabama contestants on the latest edition of "Survivor," CBS announced Thursday.

The series will premiere its 10th season Feb. 17 on Palau, an island nation in the South Pacific.

Rahman, a Birmingham native, will try to outwit, outplay and outlast 19 other castaways to win $1 million. Among them are Bobby Jon Drinkard, 27, a waiter and model from Troy, and James Miller, 33, a steelworker who lives in Mobile.

The men are the latest in a line of Alabamians sucked into the reality juggernaut. Over the past few years, state residents have appeared on television shows such as "Fear Factor," "Big Brother," "Trading Spaces" and "The Bachelor." Birmingham produced second-season "American Idol" champion Ruben Studdard.

As is typical, participants on "Survivor: Palau" cannot discuss their experiences until the series ends, a CBS spokesman said. However, background information on the new tribe members is available online, much of it on the "Survivor" Web site.

Rahman attended Parker High School here, where he was chosen Mr. Senior in 1994. He studied mechanical engineering at Tuskegee University and business at the University of Alabama. His jobs have included modeling, acting and working for a telephone company.

Rahman's hobbies include learning history and cooking. He is single, lives in Birmingham and describes himself as "passionate, eclectic and aggressive."

Drinkard lettered in football at Charles Henderson High School in his hometown. He earned a bachelor's degree at Troy State University in 2003, majoring in public relations and journalism. He moved to the Los Angeles area after graduation to pursue a modeling career. Previous jobs include personal trainer, lifeguard and farmer.

In 2003, Drinkard was named Alabama's hottest bachelor by Cosmopolitan magazine. He remains single and describes himself as "determined, bold and righteous."

Miller was born in Tennessee and grew up in Hohenwald, Tenn., and Northlake, Ill. He was a seaman apprentice in the Navy from 1990 to 1992. He attended Southeast College of Technology in Mobile and Faulkner University, studying computer information systems and biology.

He works as a crane operator at a steel company, is married and has four children.

Three castaways will be sent home on the initial episode of "Survivor: Palau." According to executive producer Mark Burnett, two don't even make it to the first challenge.

"They're given very little instruction about what to do, and some of them are genuinely lost," Burnett told Variety. "That's how tough it is. It's very emotional."

E-mail: mcolurso@bhamnews.com

source~
http://www.al.com/news/birminghamnews/index.ssf?/base/news/1105697707144200.xml

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2005, 04:50:49 PM »
Ian Rosenberger ~

PSU grad chosen for next 'Survivor'

By Laurie Cataldo and Ainsley Maloney 
Collegian Staff Writers
The tribe has spoken: Ian made the list.

Rumors were confirmed yesterday morning that former Under-graduate Student Government (USG) President Ian Rosenberger will be a contestant on the 10th season of CBS's Survivor.

CBS's The Early Show announced the official cast list of Survivor: Palau yesterday, which included 23-year-old Rosenberger, who is now a dolphin trainer in Key Largo, Fla.

Others contestants include: Janu, a Las Vegas showgirl; Angie, a bartender; Tom, a New York City firefighter; Jennifer, a nanny; Jeff, a personal trainer; Coby, a hairstylist; and Kim, a former Miss Ohio.

The cast, which usually consists of 16 people, has 20 people this season.

During the live Survivor: Vanuatu finale, host Jeff Probst said that for Palau, "the game will be changed in a dramatic way. Everything the survivors have come to expect will be wiped out in the first 10 minutes."

Kim Sartori, a CBS publicist, said the number of episodes this season is still unknown.

"We don't have a finale date set yet," she said.

Due to a contract with CBS, Rosenberger is not allowed to discuss his experience before, during or after the show. However, he said he misses Penn State and is excited his friends from college will be able to watch him on Survivor.

"I am so blessed to be able to have good Penn State friends," Rosenberger said. "Penn State is probably the most important thing in my life next to my family and my friends. It was nice to be able to feel that support while I was there."

Rosenberger, who worked as a dolphin trainer and a dolphin-assisted therapist for children with disabilities in Florida before the show, is currently at home in Ambridge, spending time with his family.

"I'm taking a break [from dolphin training]," Rosenberger said. "It's really nice to be home."

Rosenberger has also worked as a performer at Walt Disney World in Orlando, Fla. He was also an Eagle Scout for the Boy Scouts of America and a member of the Penn State Outing Club.

Kristen Kofmehl (senior-public relations) was a member of USG with Rosenberger last year.

"[Doing Survivor] is completely within his personality," she said. "He likes adventure; I'm sure he is going to do well. His personality will help him out and so will his experience with the different things he did on campus."

Allyson Welsh, who graduated from Penn State in 2004, was a member of Penn State Thespians with Rosenberger and helped him with his USG campaign.

She said that based on Rosenberger's competitive nature, he might have done well on the show.

"Ian is very competitive and passionate," she said. "Everyone falls in love with him. He does well with everything he does, so he probably went far, but I really have no clue. He always has a plan of how he's going to do things."

Penn State spokesman Tysen Kendig said that although he rarely watched Survivor in the past, he will now have a reason to tune in.

"Given the fact that he has survived many of the challenges of organizing student government at Penn State, I'm sure he can handle anything," Kendig said jokingly.

The Associated Press contributed to this report

source~
http://www.collegian.psu.edu/archive/2005/01/01-14-05tdc/01-14-05dnews-11.asp

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2005, 04:54:13 PM »
Willard Smith ~

Bellevue lawyer makes cut for latest `Survivor'
2005-01-14
Associated Press

The 10th edition of CBS' ``Survivor,'' set in the Pacific island nation of Palau, includes a Bellevue lawyer who, at 57, is the oldest of the contestants.

Willard Smith will be among the 20 castaways who try to outwit, outplay and outlast each other to win the $1 million prize.

According to the TV show's Web site, Smith is a Connecticut native who joined the Marines at the age of 17 and served two years in Vietnam as a scout/sniper.

He graduated from the University of San Diego School of Law in 1984. He and his wife, Pamela, then moved to Washington where they live in Bellevue and he has a private practice.

The Web site also notes that his favorite television shows are ``The Daily Show'' and ``Civil War Journal.''

The ``Palau'' cast, announced Thursday, includes a bartender from New Orleans, a firefighter from New York, a dolphin trainer from Florida and a Las Vegas showgirl.

During the live ``Vanuatu'' finale, host Jeff Probst promised that in Palau, ``the game will be changed in a dramatic way. Everything the survivors have come to expect will be wiped out in the first 10 minutes.''

One hint: The press statement says three castaways are sent home in the first episode.

``Survivor: Palau'' premieres Feb. 17.

source~
http://www.kingcountyjournal.com/sited/story/html/183266
and
http://www.sirlinksalot.net/survivorpalau.html

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2005, 04:55:48 PM »
Jolanda Jones ~

An attorney and mom, Houstonian a real 'Survivor'
By CLAUDIA FELDMAN
Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle

Jolanda Jones is the ultimate survivor.

She was only 13 months old when her father entered the bedroom where she was sleeping and shot himself in the head. She endured a bleak childhood, but that didn't stop her from becoming a star student and athlete and, eventually, a respected defense attorney and community activist.

Today, Jones is raising her 13-year-old son, she has a purple belt in karate, and when the appropriate time comes, she may run again for a City Council seat.

Still, who would have thought Jones wanted to be the Survivor, as in the CBS reality show?

Thursday her name, photo and bio were released along with those of 19 other contestants who will appear on the immensely popular show, which cranked up interest in a whole new genre in TV. It will air Thursdays starting Feb. 17 on Channel 11.

The show was taped during the last few months of 2004; Jones is actually in Houston today, working. Unfortunately, she signed a confidentiality agreement promising not to talk about the show, including how it ends and who won.

So who won?

Jones, 39, just laughs.

For the uninitiated, "castaways" are chosen from thousands of applicants and dropped in a remote location. During the taping, they build shelters, find food, and alternately compete and cooperate with the other contestants.

Everybody wants to earn the $1 million jackpot. No one wants to be voted off the island, which is how contestants are systematically eliminated until there is one.

This crop of contestants includes two other Texans, Coby Archa, 32, a hair stylist from Athens, and Jonathan Libby, 23, in sales and marketing in Dallas. Other contestants include a bartender, a steelworker, a Las Vegas showgirl, a nanny. They come from all over the country, and they range in age from 21 to 57.

In late October, all 20 were dropped off in the Palau Islands in the Pacific Ocean, just north of the equator. This season, CBS public relations folks say, is different because it began with the largest group ever and three castaways will be sent packing in the first episode. They won't say much else except that everything Survivor fans have come to expect will be wiped out in the first 10 minutes of the show.

Colleen Sullivan, a vice president for CBS publicity, says the staff searches for Type A personalities, "folks who have a voice, an opinion, and are willing to stand up for what they believe. They also need to be competitive and enjoy the outdoors. Jolanda Jones certainly fits that description."

Just as Jones signed a confidentiality agreement, so did her son, Jio, and many of their friends and relatives.

One person who didn't sign anything and didn't find out Jolanda had been away for the taping of the show until Thursday was an aunt, Cathy Lewis. The Postal Service manager took the news in stride.

"Jolanda likes to be challenged, and she likes to strut her stuff, too. I thinks this was just perfect for her."

Lewis says she asked her niece if she won, but she didn't get an answer.

"I don't doubt that she did," Lewis says.

source's~
http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/features/2991532

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2005, 04:57:47 PM »
Katie Gallagher
`

Merced Native Mum On Time As 'Survivor'

Katie Gallagher, third from left in front, and the 19 other castaways pictured here compete in the 10th season of 'Survivor.'

By MARIJKE ROWLAND
BEE ENTERTAINMENT WRITER

Last Updated: January 14, 2005, 04:30:23 AM PST

Merced native and resident Katie Gallagher is among 20 contestants who will fight to outwit, outlast and outplay one another for $1 million on the new season of the reality hit "Survivor."
The 29-year-old advertising account executive was selected from tens of thousands of applicants to compete on "Survivor: Palau," scheduled to premiere Feb. 17 on CBS Television.

The new cast was revealed Thursday on CBS' "The Early Show."

Gallagher, who works for Radio Merced, traveled to the remote Pacific island nation of Palau for the show's 10th installment.

However, she won't discuss what happened there. Contestants sign strict confidentiality agreements that allow them to discuss the show only with CBS-approved outlets until the show ends.

"I can't talk to you, I'm sorry," she said when contacted by The Bee.

But it didn't take long for news of Gallagher's "Survivor" status to make the rounds. Radio Merced manages six Merced-area radio stations, and she was the big story on affiliated 92.5 FM The Bear's morning show.

"Everybody is very excited about it," said Chad Gammage, a Radio Merced sales manager who works with Gallagher. "Somebody from Merced, a local, is going to be on the big screen. It's fun."

By afternoon, Gallagher had to leave work because of phone calls to her office.

Alliance making, alliance breaking, back stabbing and betrayal are all part of the game for the "Survivor" cast members, who are stranded on a deserted island. Castaways must complete challenges while withstanding the elements and each other as they vie to be the last person standing.

At 20 members, the "Survivor: Palau" cast is the largest yet, two more than last season. Series producers have already let it slip out that three cast members will be sent packing in the first episode, but they are tight-lipped about which ones. The series is taped and the winner won't be revealed until the finale airs sometime in May.

Friends said Gallagher, who auditioned for the show in its third season, is a big fan and a perfect fit for the grueling reality series.

Friends call her 'life of party'

"She is just a natural," said Merced resident Lori Rossi, a friend of Gallagher's for the past 20 years. "She is just someone who is not afraid to take a chance and throw it out there."

Gallagher was born in Merced and attended Chenoweth Elementary and Tenaya Middle schools. She went to Merced High for a year before moving with her family to Irvine, in Southern California.

In 1993, she graduated from Irvine's Woodbridge High School and then went to Monmouth University in New Jersey, earning magna cum laude honors with a communications degree in radio and television.

She previously worked as a camp counselor for at-risk children, an outdoor education instructor and a sales representative.

The official "Survivor" Web site lists her hobbies as camping, gardening, performing in local musical theater productions and shopping at vintage stores.

On the site, she describes her personality as: "optimistic, spontaneous, sarcastic, full of opinions and hilarious."

"She is, without a doubt, the funniest person I know; the kind of funny that when you're sitting around her your stomach hurts from laughing," said Rossi, a real estate agent for Century 21 Salvadori Realty. "She is the life of the party."

Rossi said Gallagher returned to Merced a year and a half ago.

"She was really excited about moving back," she said. "She saw a lot of opportunities here that you can't get in the bigger city."

Returning also gave Gallagher the chance to get back on stage.

This June, Gallagher played Bebe in Playhouse Merced's production of "A Chorus Line."

Memorable first meeting

Jerry Deal, Playhouse Merced's marketing and development director, said he met Gallagher in 2003. He said their first meeting set the tone for their friendship.

"I met her at a bar in town," he said. "She came over and started screaming in my ear, 'I want to know you! Who are you?' I said, 'OK, this is a crazy person.' But we ended up getting to know each other and she has become one of my very good friends. She is meant to entertain."

Deal said Gallagher told friends and family about trying out for the show in Fresno in the summer. Then, in mid-October, she said she was going on "vacation." She returned — with a tan — just before Christmas.

But Gallagher won't be sharing her "vacation" stories any time soon. Even her roommate had to sign a confidentiality agreement; her roommate is Denise Rossi, Lori's sister.

Deal said Gallagher has told him she is glad to have the creature comforts of home again.

"She is so happy to be eating," he said. "She is like, 'I just want food and beer.'"

Friends predict that Gallagher should do well on the show. Deal and Lori Rossi are organizing a private party for about 150friends to watch the premiere.

"Knowing her, she is going to be her funny self. She'll make it a great show," she said. "I just can't wait for the world to meet our friend Katie."

More information on "Survivor" and Gallagher is available online, www.cbs.com/primetime/survivor10.

Bee staff writer Marijke Rowland can be reached at 578-2284 or mrowland@modbee.com.

source's~
http://www.modbee.com/local/story/9767265p-10631611c.html

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2005, 05:00:16 PM »
Stephenie LaGrossa~

Posted on Fri, Jan. 14, 2005

Howard Gensler | No sooner had we survived 'Survivor'...

MUCH TO OUR dismay, CBS has decided to air a 10th edition of "Survivor," starting in February.

To our further dismay, there's a Philadelphian on the show, so we may have to watch it.

Thanks, Stephenie LaGrossa, a 25-year-old pharmaceutical-sales representative. There go our Thursday nights.

Stephenie will be one of a record 20 castaways, when the island of Palau (nicknamed "God's Aquarium" due to its amazing variety of underwater life) is overrun by survivors vying for the $1 million prize.

During the live "Vanuatu" finale, host Jeff Probst promised that in Palau, "the game will be changed in a dramatic way. Everything the survivors have come to expect will be wiped out in the first 10 minutes."

Uh-oh.

For those who need a geography refresher, Palau is a cluster of islands in the Pacific, northeast of Indonesia.

source~
http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/entertainment/gossip/10642488.htm

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2005, 05:03:14 PM »
Kimberly Mullen &Caryn Groedel~

2 Ohioans on new 'Survivor: Palau'

Ohio continues to be the heart of CBS' "Survivor" nation. Two more Ohio residents - including a woman from the Dayton suburb of Huber Heights - will compete on "Survivor: Palau" premiering Feb. 17.

Kimberly Mullen, 25, a Wright State University graduate student, and attorney Caryn Groedel, 46, of Solon, are among the 20 cast members - two more contestants than last fall, and four more than a year ago - announced Thursday.

The $1-million "Survivor: Vanuatu" winner last month was Chris Daugherty of South Vienna, Ohio, east of Springfield. Boy Scout leader Lillian "Big Lill" Morris of Warren County's Deerfield Township was the runner-up a year ago.

In March, "Survivor" producers will interview applicants in Cincinnati and 12 other cities for "Survivor 11," to be taped later this year for broadcast in the fall.

John Kiesewetter

source~
http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050114/LIFE03/501140372/1038/Life

______________________________________________________________________________________

More From The Plain Dealer   |   Subscribe To The Plain Dealer

Two Ohioans to compete on 'Survivor'
Friday, January 14, 2005
Julie E. Washington
Plain Dealer Reporter
A Solon civil-rights attorney and a former Miss Ohio are among the castaways in the upcoming "Survivor: Paulau."

The 10th edition of the popular reality show premieres at 8 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 17, on CBS (WOIO Channel 19). Filming of the show already has been completed.

Caryn Groedel, 46, lives in Solon with her husband, Howard, and three daughters. Groedel was born and raised in New York City and has a law degree from the George Mason University School of Law.

She served for two years as the executive director of the nonprofit Women's Law Fund before going into private practice. Her firm, Caryn Groedel and Associates, is in Mayfield Heights.

In 2003, Groedel successfully represented Leslie Guciardo in her lawsuit against Thistledown racetrack that alleged sexual harassment and wrongful dismissal.

Kimberly Mullen, 25, represented Ohio in the 2002 Miss USA Pageant. She grew up in Huber Heights and has a degree in international studies from the Ohio State University. Now Mullen is a graduate student at Wright State University and works part time for a government contractor.

The cast for the next "Survivor" and the premiere date were announced Thursday during "The CBS Morning Show."

This season, there will be a record 20 castaways. Instead of starting the game by being split into tribes, all the castaways will compete as one tribe.

Groedel said that her confidentiality agreement prevented her from commenting on her time on the show. But her husband Howard, 47, said that Groedel's ability to negotiate and physical toughness would serve her well on "Survivor."

"She is totally committed to whatever she does," Howard Groedel said. He also described her as "an exercise fanatic" and marathon runner who is able to relate to all kinds of people.

Groedel and her daughters are longtime "Survivor" fans. "Come eight o'clock on Thursdays, no phones get answered. It's all about 'Survivor,'" said Howard Groedel, who is an attorney with Ulmer and Berne law firm.

The family moved to Cleveland from Washington, D.C, about 15 years ago. Howard Groedel said taking care of his daughters while his wife was away went better than he expected. The children are Hannah, 15; Isabel, 12; and Mia, 7.

"Survivor: Palau" will unfold on an island in the South Pacific. Its waters are known as a graveyard for World War II ships.

In "Survivor," players form alliances, compete in challenges and vote to kick out their fellow castmates. Bad food and primitive living conditions add to the ordeal. The sole survivor left standing at the end of the game wins $1 million.

To reach this Plain Dealer reporter:

jwashington@plaind.com, 216-999-4539

source~
http://www.cleveland.com/entertainment/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/entertainment/1105698836311933.xml

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2005, 05:06:35 PM »
Kimberly Mullen~

Local woman on 'Survivor'
Wright State graduate student competing on CBS show that airs in February

By Laura Dempsey

Dayton Daily News

For the record, we're not the least bit surprised.

When CBS announced the cast of its upcoming Survivor: Palau on Thursday, the fact that yet another southwest Ohio contestant made the cut should give those rooting for the others a nice cold chill. Go ahead — throw in the towel now, because when Ohioans take on reality TV, Ohioans do really, really well.

This time it's Kimberly Mullen, 25, a Wright State University graduate student in humanities who learned Arabic after Sept. 11 and represented Buckeyes in the 2002 Miss USA pageant. She's buff, she's beautiful, she's smart and she cares, devoting time and energy to human rights and fighting ovarian cancer. And she lives in Huber Heights.

Another Ohioan, attorney Caryn Groedel, 46, of Solon, is part of the cast as well.

Mullen follows in the make-us-proud footsteps of South Vienna's Chris Daugherty, who won Survivor's last million-dollar contest; Urbana's Drew Daniel, who took home Big Brother 5's top prize of $500,000 last summer; and Lillian Morris of Loveland, who came in second place ($100,000) during Survivor: Pearl Islands (also known as "The Rupert Show").

According to Internet sites, Survivor 10 was filmed Nov. 1 through Dec. 9, and of the 20 initial contestants, three were sent packing before the first Tribal Council was over — two apparently don't even make it through the first night. Preview ads show that the 20 survivors are "lost for real" with "no help" and that the premiere is "intense." Twists are once again promised, part of the usual suspect hype for which show creator Mark Burnett is well known.

The usual gag has been placed on all contestants, meaning that Mullen won't be talking until she's either booted or wins the whole shebang.

The show debuts Feb. 17 at 8 p.m. on WHIO-TV (Channel 7).

Contact Laura Dempsey at (937) 225-2403.

source~
http://www.daytondailynews.com/life/content/life/daily/0114survivor.html

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2005, 05:09:28 PM »

Washington Survivor Competes On 'Survivor'

Willard Smith~

New Season Starts Feb. 17 

BELLEVUE, Wash. -- As you watch the new "Survivor" next month, be sure to look for a local man from Washington state -- .
This 57-year old lawyer from Bellevue will be competing against 19 other contestants in the popular reality television show's 10th season. This time, the show is set in the island country of Palau in Southeast Asia. 

Willard is no stranger to obstacles; he endured rheumatic fever at the young age of 5 which landed him in the hospital, leaving him wheelchair bound for several years. Over time he recovered and later went on to accomplish many endeavors such as joining the Marine Corps and the Army, and eventually completing a law degree from the University of San Diego.

He believes that his profession as a lawyer will give him an advantage over his fellow competitors. "If you get me in front of a jury, I'll win $1 million. That's what I do."

For more information about Willard and his opponents on "Survivor," visit the official Web site. "Survivor" premieres Feb. 17 on KOIN News 6.

source~
http://www.koin.com/news.asp?RECORD_KEY%5Bnews%5D=ID&ID%5Bnews%5D=811

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2005, 12:38:41 AM »
Tom Weston~

His girl aided
in Brave gig

BY MELISSA GRACE and DON SINGLETON
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITERS

Tom Westman 

The trim and hunky city firefighter who battled to outwit, outlast and outplay 19 rivals for $1 million on the new season of the TV hit "Survivor" drew inspiration from his own little girl.
It will be months before we know if 41-year-old FDNY Lt. Tom Westman comes out on top, but he's already a winner at home on Long Island and among comrades at Ladder 108 in Brooklyn.

Fellow firefighters said Westman took "personal leave" to compete on "Survivor: Palau," which is scheduled to premiere Feb. 17 on CBS. But he has said nothing about his time on the remote Pacific island nation.

"I can't," he said firmly Friday at his firehouse at Broadway and Union Ave. in Williamsburg. Those are the rules of the game, he said.

But out in Sayville, L.I., where Westman lives with his wife, Bernadette, and their three kids, Meghan, 8, Declan, 6, and Conor, 4, folks see their handsome, silver-haired neighbor as a winner no matter what happens on the show.

The son of a fireman, Westman is active in the FDNY's Emerald Society, the Alexander Graham Bell Association for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing and Disabled Sports USA, where he teaches disabled vets to ski.

But around town he's mostly known as a doting dad who especially admires the courage of daughter Meghan.

The youngster lost her hearing at 18 months, underwent cochlear-implant surgery at 2 and now is doing great in the third grade.

Westman clearly has a lot going for him, but can he win "Survivor?"

Sure, says neighbor Jeanne Christensen. "He runs all the time," she noted. "And he's very, very strong-willed."

His only drawback, Christensen added, may be that "he's too nice."

The Queens-born Westman, who describes himself as "competitive," set a pole-vault record at Archbishop Molloy High School - 14 feet, 6 inches - that stood for 20 years. He keeps in shape skiing, sailing, scuba diving and playing golf.

Four other "Survivor" contestants have come from our area, but none won. So the stage is set for Westman to set another record.

With Lauren LaCapra

source~

http://www.nydailynews.com/front/story/271890p-232735c.html

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2005, 12:40:27 AM »
Ashlee Ashby~

Dacusville woman tests 'Survivor' skills on TV
Posted Monday, January 17, 2005 - 10:50 pm

By Heidi Coryell Williams
EASLEY BUREAU
hwilliams@greenvillenews.com

DACUSVILLE — This is a tribal council of a different sort, as the extended Ashby family — which number more than a dozen on this day but more than 100 in all — mingle over a steaming stockpot of taco soup and loaves of homemade bread.
Members come from not-so distant places — Travelers Rest, Simpsonville and Greenville, to name a few — and the get-together is one the aunties are apt to throw together on any given day of the week, for most any occasion.

But Monday's gathering — held at the rural home of Phil and Kathy Ashby, off State 135 in Pickens County — marked the start of something special for Pickens High School graduate and recent celebrity Ashlee Ashby.

Ashby is one of 20 new "Survivors" announced last week on CBS News' The Early Show.

The reality show, which pits "castaways" against each other in a contest to win $1 million, was taped on the Pacific island of Palau, just north of the equator.

She is listed on the show's roster as hailing from Easley, but in reality (since we are talking reality TV, here), Ashby hails from the rural foothills community of Dacusville.

Contractual obligations prevent Ashby, 22, from saying much about her experiences on the widely popular reality series, which will premier in its 10th season Feb. 17.

The tribe that is her enormous family has, however, spoken.

"I know we're all excited to see how she deals with island life," her 19-year-old sister Sharleen Ashby said Monday from the family home, which sits at the end of a mile-long dirt road. Aunts, uncles, cousins and friends were among those who arrived at the family's 15-acre property for the impromptu party.

"When she told us, we all went crazy," cousin Heidi Johanson said Monday.

Now the family is dying to know how she fares among the show's other contestants.

But Ashby, laughing and smiling alongside her loved ones, has to be tight-lipped about her island adventures — even with those closest to her.

So, who is Ashlee Ashby?

The oldest of five siblings, she is an avid exerciser and the self-proclaimed princess among her outdoorsy and athletic clan.

She spent her summers life-guarding at the Pickens Country Club swimming pool and waitressing at Alley Gators sports bar and grill on Pelham Road. After graduating from Pickens High School, she was one of the few students who chose to attend college out of state, selecting Brigham Young University in Utah.

A practicing member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, Ashby completed seminary while attending high school, requiring her to travel from home to her Berea church every weekday before school at 6 a.m.

She moved to Los Angeles shortly after graduating from Brigham Young, to pursue an acting career.

"She's had a lot of comfort in her life, but she's not the kind of person who has to have a lot of comfort," said her aunt, Brenda Wahrer.

Just to be sure and sharpen her survival skills, her siblings spent the weeks before she left for Palau teaching her what they thought she'd need to know for the show.

Chad, a 13-year-old Boy Scout and Pickens Middle School student, schooled her on the finer points of fly-fishing and fish "trapping."

Tyler, 15, a freshman at Pickens High, showed her how to tie a lashing, a skill he thought she could use to help her build shelter on the island.

And her 9-year-old sister Taylor had her on a strict program on a "balance beam," which she crafted using an old board in the back yard. (Because on the show, "you've got to balance stuff," Taylor explained.)

Just one day after the television network's initial announcement, Ashby's appearance at a local bank stirred a small, but excitable crowd.

Now, the family's phone is ringing off the hook with requests for interviews, and by Monday a television station and local radio program had already featured family members on air.

When her mother dropped her off at Greenville-Spartanburg International Airport so she could fly out for the show, she said to her daughter, "Ashlee Ashby: In a couple of months, everyone will know that name."

How right she was. Staff writer Heidi Coryell Williams can be reached at 306-3302.

source~
http://greenvilleonline.com/news/2005/01/17/2005011756898.htm

Offline RudyRules

• RFF's Maturest Angel.
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • S1's Rudy Rocks!!
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2005, 05:41:16 AM »
thanks for the articles puddin.  good to start getting somewhat acquainted w/ the new survivors!
hey, i played all the games. They're fun & makes ya think, for sure!  nope, I did not go to bed cuz I was on a roll...wide awake.  Thank goodness I can sleep in! :)ZZZ:) :)ZZZ:) :)ZZZ:)
 &*&

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2005, 11:56:20 AM »
your welcome Rudy ..you never know what tidbits of info my be in the articles  </]

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2005, 07:21:48 PM »
TV Guide..Meet the Castaways~

http://www.tvguide.com/tv/coverstory/

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
'Survivor' of the Fittest ,Jeff Wilson
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2005, 05:09:43 PM »
'Survivor' of the Fittest
22-year-old Ventura native Jeff Wilson, a personal trainer, joins 19 others in Palau competition

By Brett Johnson, bjohnson@VenturaCountyStar.com
February 15, 2005

If the clean look -- and we mean really clean -- counts for any points on "Survivor," then Jeff Wilson of Ventura might win this season's edition. That's right, Ventura has its own "Survivor." Wilson, a personal trainer who turned 22 last week, is among 20 contestants vying for the top prize when the 10th season of the show, called "Survivor: Palau," gets under way Thursday night on CBS.

Wilson spent part of his childhood in Ventura before moving to Santa Maria. He moved back to Ventura a couple years ago after graduating from Righetti High School in Santa Maria, said his father, Michael Wilson.

As it turns out, dad was a big fan of the show even before the family connection, citing the typical tropical settings, the struggles the contestants go through trying to survive, and the various conflicts and interactions between them. Now, seeing his son amid that will add layers he can only imagine.

"It's going to be an experience," said the elder Wilson, a 50-year-old mortgage broker in Santa Maria. "I don't know how it's going to go. It could be embarrassing ... but it's only TV."

Mum's the word

As for how long Jeff Wilson lasts, no one's saying -- and the elder Wilson said he doesn't know. The folks over at "Survivor" would not allow an interview, perhaps fearful that he would reveal the whereabouts of Osama bin Laden, unveil the mysteries of the U.S. tax code or, worse yet, divulge the outcome of the show.

"He can't say a word, not even to me," Michael Wilson said. "They have to sign a pretty thick confidentiality agreement."

Actually, of course, they don't want to spoil the fun; after all, a $1 million prize for the winner is at stake along with crucial ratings points and demographics for the network and advertisers. That means everyone has to play along until the season finale on May 15 -- if Jeff Wilson lasts that long.

"Survivor," as devotees know, is the show where contestants get voted off until one remains and is declared the winner. This year, the show starts with 20 people. The list will be trimmed to 17 after the first episode, with more eliminated on succeeding shows until the end. Typically, contestants are dumped into a remote tropical location, in this case the South Pacific archipelago of Palau, a cluster of islands near Guam that saw several World War II battles. The islands that make up Palau are known for their reef life, dense jungles and waterfalls. Physical endurance and challenges are part of the game -- more so than in previous editions, show officials say.

In shape

Jeff Wilson certainly has that part down. Even "Survivor" host Jeff Probst has noticed.

"Jeff is a very physically fit guy," Probst said in a conference call with reporters last week. "You see that in the very first minutes of the show. He's in great shape and seems to be a guy who's not only in great shape but has a good understanding of why he's in good shape and how the body works and nutrition."

Probst also unveiled one of Wilson's habits -- shaving his body, every day in the shower. The host said he asked Wilson about shaving his chest and thighs and added that "Jeff was only too happy to tell us he shaves (his) entire body."

"I said, 'Jeff, the only reason I would shave my entire body is if my woman wanted that from me, and she would have to be one hell of a woman for me to do that,' " Probst recalled. "And he said, 'It has to do with women. They like it.' "

But the women in the room during casting, Probst indicated, said they didn't necessarily prefer hairless men.

Probst also said Wilson has an engaging personality and is fun to be around -- characteristics that might come in handy. Wilson and other participants received no information on the first day about formation of tribes among contestants or how the game would proceed, a wrinkle that Probst said added another twist to the game.

Outdoorsman

The show's format and location suit Jeff Wilson fine, according to his father.

"He's always been an adventurous kid," the elder Wilson said. "He loves to fish, and he's a real water guy."

Jeff loves to hike in the mountains above Santa Barbara, and also kayaks off Ventura. As a kid, the elder Wilson recalled, "every time he had the opportunity he took off -- sometimes scaring his parents." Jeff was born in Santa Barbara, moved to Ventura when he was 3 and stayed until the fourth grade (attending E.P. Foster Elementary School), when the family moved to Santa Maria. His bio on the "Survivor" Web site states that he is a member of the National Academy of Sports Medicine.

The elder Wilson said he and his wife, Shauna, a 50-year-old teacher, watch "Survivor" all the time. As he described it, Jeff would watch the show occasionally but was not as big a fan. Then last summer, Jeff sent in a tape, and CBS responded.

The Wilsons plan to throw a big party for Thursday night's premiere. They will count down like the rest of the "Survivor" viewers and, of course, root for Jeff to continue on. If so, the parties might become regular.

"Hopefully," said Dad, "we will have the opportunity to do a few of these."

-- Staff writer Dave Mason contributed to this story.
source~
http://www.venturacountystar.com/vcs/television/article/0,1375,VCS_234_3547873,00.html

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
'Survivor' bash planned for local contestant
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2005, 07:35:19 PM »
'Survivor' bash planned for local contestant
By Theresa Edo / Daily News Staff
Wednesday, February 16, 2005

ASHLAND -- A crowd of fans will gather at the Community Center tomorrow night to cheer on one of their own, a former Ashland High star athlete, as he tries to survive the challenges of a grueling reality TV show.

Gregg Carey, 28, an 1995 Ashland High graduate, will try to outwit, outplay and outlast 19 other contestants to win a $1 million prize on the 10th edition of CBS' "Survivor," set in the Pacific island nation of Palau. The show premieres tomorrow.

Recreation Director Kelly Rund, who graduated from Ashland High a year after Carey, said the department is hosting a Survivor Kick-Off Party to view the first episode on a big screen at the Community Center. Tomorrow night's event begins at 7:30 with a "Survivor" trivia game, prizes and snacks.

"We're trying to do more and more for the community, offering more programs for adults as well as kids, now that we have space to do it," Rund said, referring to the nearly 2-year-old Community Center. "And so many people in town know Gregg."

There is no admission fee for the party, but voluntary donations will be collected for the town's emergency fund, tsunami relief efforts, Kid Spot and The Jimmy Fund, Rund said.

Carey's mother, Bonnie Carey of Ashland, said this week her son had always been an honest person and a good friend.

"He can be a perfectionist, and he can be hard on himself. But I think he always tries to do the right thing. It will be interesting to see how he is on the show," said Bonnie, who is sworn to secrecy about the show's outcome.

"I told myself, and I told him, 'Remember, it's just a game,'" Bonnie said.

Carey was away from mid-October until early December for "Survivor: Palau." Friends have said he lost about 30 pounds during the competition.

This time, "Survivor" contestants received no directions of any kind, not even a map to find water.

Host Jeff Probst told the Associated Press the show's physical challenges -- the games in which tribes compete for immunity from being voted off the island -- have become harder and more original.

Bonnie Carey said Gregg was worried about taking time off from his job as a project manager for Sapient, a business and technology consulting company in Chicago.

"I don't think he ever really intended to try out for this, it just happened," said Bonnie. "You never get a chance to do something like that. What an adventure."

Carey loves to travel and compete in adventure racing. Last year, he climbed Mount Fuji in Japan and visited Ireland and England, Bonnie said.

Carey's father, James Carey, the former director of health and physical education for Framingham schools, died unexpectedly in October 2003.

Last Friday, Framingham High School's gym and workout facilities -- the wellness center along with two gymnasiums -- were named the James E. Carey Physical Education Complex after the man who worked 32 years in the school system.

In high school, Gregg Carey was active in student government and a member of the National Honor Society. He was a two-sport captain -- football and baseball -- playing quarterback and shortstop. He earned team MVP and county All-Star honors at both positions.

Carey attended the University of Pennsylvania, where he studied chemical engineering and received a bachelor of science degree in engineering. He also played college football and was a member of a group of campus leaders known as the Friars Senior Society.

Currently single, he has a sister, Jill.

source~
http://www.metrowestdailynews.com/localRegional/view.bg?articleid=90790