WOOHOO Survivor Fever posted more about the TV Guide article **
Inside Survivor: Vanuatu's Episode 12 Reward Challenge: "Redemption"
(TV Guide 11.28.04)
Warning: Show spoilers in this article. If you do not wish to read spoilers please return the Survivor: Vanuatu page
View Enlarged Image
Survivor tribe members thinking that once through the mud was enough had better think again. This week's [Episode 12, airdate: Thursday, December 2, 2004] "Redemption" reward challenge builds in elements from earlier this season to see if players have learned anything. How tough is it? Producer John Kirhoffer gave [TV Guide] a sneak peek - including the supersecret sketch - at just what the players will face - (Linda Holmes, TV Guide)
Redemption Challenge Overview
View Enlarged Image
Step 1 - Crawl Through Mud
The 18-member "Dream Team" used to test the challenges thought that the first mud crawl was too easy. So truckloads of dirt were brought in to make the mud, um, muddier. And vertical sticks were added for a deeper slither in the muck.
Step 2 - Grab a Pig
Borrowed from local residents, the pigs were marked so they could be returned to their rightful owners after taping. And since the show is bound by specific animal-handling guidelines, pig throwing is out and gentle tossing of the swine into their stinky pens is in. Which is too bad, says Kirhoffer. "We had so much fun with the pig catching. And we've never hurt an animal on Survivor - well except for the pig that got killed in Australia, but that was different." [Player Michael Skupin slaughtered a wild boar for food.]
Step 3 - Solve a Tiki Puzzle
For this part of the challenge, a local carver made several identical 5-foot-tall tikis that the show's art department later turned into puzzles. "They drilled a hole down the middle then chopped them up into five or six pieces," Kirhoffer says.
Step 4 - Walk a Balance Beam
After players decided to crawl instead of walk across the too-narrow balance beam in the September 23 episode, Kirhoffer decided to make this one wider to ensure that players would actually walk the plank.
Step 5 - Shoot a Slingshot
The store-bought slingshots are dressed up to look rustic. And since this is the final portion of the challenge, the stunt is designed to avoid what Kirhoffer calls "total mission failure." So if players aren't hitting the target after 10 minutes, they'll be allowed to move closer. "We've gotta go home for dinner," he says.
'Redemption' Challenge - More Details
Has 5 'stages'
- Stage #1 has 5 lanes thru the mud crawl...only first 4 to finish crawl advance to stage #2.
- Stage #2 has 4 pigs to catch "Pig Sty-10 piglets, 4 marked for catching, rest are decoys" . So each of the 4 contestants at this point has to catch 1 pig. Only first 3 to get a pig into pig pen advance to stage #3.
- Stage #3 has 3 puzzle poles (5ft tall) to assemble tiki puzzles composed of 5-6 pieces. Only first 2 to finish advance to stage #4.
- Stage #4 has a 10' ladder climb to 2 balance beams (5 inches wide) over a 30'x60' cargo net. Both competitors advance to stage #5.
- Stage #5 has 2 shooting tables each with high powered slingshots and ammo. Targets are 2 towers holding 3 tiles, counterweighted pulley system raises fire to to wok atop tower.
- Winner is first person (of remaining two contestants) to light wok.
- Prize is an automobile?
Typically during the Episode 12 Super Challenge, Survivors compete for a vehicle prize. The winner of this challenge will be awarded a Pontiac G6