Author Topic: Is CBS keeping lesbians on ‘Survivor’ in the closet?  (Read 14143 times)

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
Is CBS keeping lesbians on ‘Survivor’ in the closet?
« on: October 29, 2004, 03:25:35 PM »
Found this on Survivor Fever ..Oh Boy...

'Survivor’ secrets
Is CBS keeping lesbians on ‘Survivor’ in the closet? Or are they staying there intentionally in order to win the game?
Friday, October 29, 2004

VIEWERS CAN TELL by looking at the cast biographies that there are two lesbians on the current season of “Survivor,” but it’s hard to be certain based on the portions aired so far on the show itself.

CBS doesn’t release details about the sexual orientation of the show’s contestants unless it becomes part of the “story” on the show. But the bios of Ami Cusack and Scout Cloud Lee on the show’s Web site reveal that Cusack is in a three-year relationship with “Crissy,” and Lee lives with “Annie,” her “best friend and playmate” for the past 26 years.

For the sake of simplicity, we’re going to call them lesbians, even though they could be “bi” or “same-gender-loving” or women who just happen to be in relationships with other women. And for the sake of argument, “Crissy” and “Annie” could be men.

It’s not shocking that CBS is keeping the women’s sexual orientation a big secret, but it would be surprising if casual viewers — who don’t check the Web site or read the gay press — have no idea the women are lesbians. After all, straight castaways openly talk about their opposite-sex partners, and the guys spend plenty of time discussing and ogling the women.

THIS TRUTH ABOUT Cusack and Lee could be hidden for any number of reasons. Maybe neither has disclosed this information to their fellow cast members yet, either for personal or strategic reasons.

Another possible reason is more nebulous. What if they both came out, and all the other women supported and accepted them, and they all shared a big hug of unity around the campfire?

If that happened and CBS didn’t air it, there’s a producer who needs to be voted off the island. That two lesbians could come out and be welcomed on equal terms not only goes to show the spirit and morale of the group, but would also be inspirational for all those budding lesbians out there. They need role models to show them that they, one day, might be able to starve, cheat and lie around in a bathing suit on national television for $1 million.

After all, even future bitchy queens have first season winner Richard Hatch to look up to.

AND THERE IS A third theory. Cusack and Lee have only come out to each other and formed a secret lesbian cabal that is going to take over the island. The wise, earthy and forward Lee has posited herself as the sage of the group, and no one wants her gone, even though she’s not nearly as strong and does not work as hard as others.

Cusack, on the other hand, seems to hold some secret sway over the voting process. In the episode that aired on Oct. 14, men were allowed into their tribe.

Most of the women wanted to vote out Rory Freeman, but Cusack convinced them to vote against Travis “Bubba” Sampson instead. She claimed she saw him trying to communicate with members of the other tribe. Guess the rest of us missed that.

On the Oct. 21 episode, the ladies were going to vote off Freeman to maintain their all-female alliance. But Cusack took umbrage with an offhand remark that Lisa Keiffer made. By the end of the episode, everyone voted against Keiffer.

She may or may not be gay, but Cusack seems to be the behind-the-scenes leader of her tribe. She’s doing more than “flying under the radar,” she’s stealing the show without anyone noticing.

That’s the real story, and viewers are missing out.

http://www.southernvoice.com/2004/10-29/arts/television/tv.cfm

Offline Trevor

• RFF Writer
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "We're just hoping work can overcome smartness."
Re: Is CBS keeping lesbians on ‘Survivor’ in the closet?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2004, 03:47:45 PM »
Scout pretty much said she was a lesbian last night when they were going through pictures and she was showing the ones of her "partner" Annie.  The only reason I figured Ami out was on a hunch.  She seemed like she was (and still is) very anti-Man so that's why I checked her bio. 
"Gin is a morose widow. Tequila is the supple mistress with the cojones to attend the funeral. Pour me some mistress."

Offline 'keeta

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • HOME!
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2004, 06:47:41 PM »
I think the women know. In Lisa's day after interview, she mentioned that there were "two gay women" on the tribe. Maybe Ami told Lisa on the way to tribal and voting her out?

Make it Idiot Proof and Someone will make a better Idiot.  :whip:

Offline Car84

• RFF Jr. Member
  • I love Reality TV
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2004, 08:09:00 PM »
Well, judging from the previews for next week's show (11/11), the cat is "rrr-rraw-eow" OUT OF THE BAG!

I'm wondering how this will affect the apparent "gender war."  If there are, effectively, three genders plotting around the campfire, it's not as easy as "3-to-6 - game over for the guys."

It's likely that two of the women (in the conventional sense) will see the writing on the wall, especially if it is apparent that Amy and Scout converted (strategy-wise) one or two of the non-men.  Who wants to finish fifth and sixth?  The power of two can come into play and make it 5 to 4, as two girls (Julie and Leann?) go to the other side (so to speak, I think).  This is getting confusing!

For that, I'm hoping.  Nothing would be as boring and predictable as watching the three guys get kicked off.  And I'm on record for wanting to see Scout gone.  Short of a mercy killing (a la Mitchell), she'll be in for the long haul.

Offline WENDY

• RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • One day..... I Will Outlast, Outwit & Outplay
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2004, 07:34:04 PM »
I think they're all kind of using "girl on girl" type powers next episode... It is kind of making the men sick, although I'm not sure why... Don't they like that type of stuff??? At any rate- I see nothing wrong with lesbians being on the show... this is America... But if I were Twila- I would TOTALLY ally with the men against the women... She would have such an advantage! :D
Wendy Jean

SURVIVOR 11- HERE I COME!!!!!!!!!

Offline furface19

• RFF Not So Newbie
  • mmmmm...beeeeer
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2004, 09:24:43 AM »
Well, if it wasn't known that Ami was at least "bi" then it surely would have been out in the open after the body painting, hair stroking, and fawning she did over Julie last week...Hell, I can't blame her...but I do think Julie has at least a suspicion and is using her looks and body to get further ahead. Wonder how "Crissy" back home is reacting to all this?

Offline WENDY

• RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2004, 10:20:29 AM »
Ami is bi?  :\/
Wendy Jean

Riverrat

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2004, 10:45:37 AM »
I don't think she's bi. I think she is a full fledged man hater. She may allow a few men to live if she ruled the world. Just for procreation and as eunuchs to do heavy work. LOL

Offline WENDY

• RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2004, 10:59:41 AM »
You know, the whole thing with Ami "letting" people do things, and "letting" people stay on the show just makes me sick- I do not understand how she got so much power? when did this happen, because I thought they elected Scout as the Chief! I do not particularly care for Ami.
Wendy Jean

Riverrat

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2004, 11:15:55 PM »
Even Scout thinks she is in control or, she did until Thursday night. She doesn't seem to realize yet that Ami took control and Scout let her before Lisa was voted off.

Offline Car84

• RFF Jr. Member
  • I love Reality TV
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2004, 09:02:28 PM »
I think Ami was doing better when she was (or seemed to be) second-in-command.  That's generally a good spot to be in because of the heat Number One takes on.

Ami can thank Rory for tattling on her before he met his untiely demise.  In my opinion, Ami overplayed her hand.  It will take a miracle (or a string of IC victories) to keep her alive in the game.

Anyone other than me wonder if Jeff's words of wisdom at the close of Tribal Council are selected from many that he prepares?  He mentioned something about winning immunity several times in order to stay in the game.  That got me thinking ...

Offline Bathfizzy

• RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I love Reality TV
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2004, 12:34:11 AM »
I guess I always seem to like the players that are not well liked.  I don't find anything wrong with Ami.  I like how she is playing the game.  She is a strong contestant, she tries hard in the challenges and does well and good for her for trying to see an all female alliance come through.  It is about time that there is a strong female alliance---nothing wrong with that.  I am trying to remember which survivor series that had a lot of females together that didn't quite pull it off.  Does anyone remember?  Also Ami didn't take any crap from Rory when she told him where he fit into the tribe.  I for one thought Rory overstayed his welcome on the island.  So let's vote off the guys and see how the women fight out their pecking order to the final 2.  :)_|

Offline 'keeta

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • HOME!
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2004, 04:46:23 AM »
Anyone other than me wonder if Jeff's words of wisdom at the close of Tribal Council are selected from many that he prepares?  He mentioned something about winning immunity several times in order to stay in the game.
-Car84, I thought this was strange also. I wonder if Rory filled Jeff's head with his distaste for Ami and how he is sure she is going next? ?:)? Unfortunately, I don't think Ami will make it to much further.

I still find it interesting Ami's sexuallity has not been revealed on the show?

Offline Blue Jean Baby

• RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2004, 10:59:01 AM »
Who freaking cares?  i am so sick of all the posts about her sexuality, it does not matter.  i think all the men are so insecure their own sexuality and that is why they are so worried about hers and Scouts...  She is playing the game and she was actually playing it very well until she let everyone know that she was the leader.  i think her days are numbered now because of that, but i am glad she kept the woman together.  She helped to make their alliance very strong, so more power to her.  She is a good player all of you need to stop worrying so much about her sexual preferences they do not pertain to the game.

Offline 'keeta

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • HOME!
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2004, 05:56:35 PM »
On the contrary, if Ami being out can change people's perspeption of gays and lesbians from negative to positive, then it matters.

Besides, the subtext keeps the show interesting.  ;D

Riverrat

« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2004, 10:08:40 AM »
I think it would be hard to fit Ami or anyones sexuality into the game while it's being played. Most everyone knew before the series started. I can just hear Jeff at TC,  "Ami what's it like to be a lesbian and sleep cuddled up with six women every night."  :)*  nope, i don't think they can risk putting too much attention on it. If they do they can rename the show Lesbian Survivor or, Gay Survivor.

Anyway, I don't care for Ami but it has nothing to do with her sexuality or lack of it. She isn't just playing "her" game. She is trying to play everyone's. I'm not into intimidation and don't care for people that try to intimidate others. JMPO

Offline furface19

• RFF Not So Newbie
  • mmmmm...beeeeer
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2004, 03:21:39 PM »
Blue Jean Baby,
                   It's not a matter of Ami's sexuality - Survivor put it on their web-site for all to see. I, for one like her and how she plays the game...plus she's hotter than hot. Maybe she's taking the man-hating a little too far, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do to claim the $1,000,000...

Offline 'keeta

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • HOME!
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2004, 05:46:36 PM »
River- don't you remember how much everyone focused on Richard's sexuallity on S1? Maybe it is different for men.

I, for one like her and how she plays the game...plus she's hotter than hot.
ditto, furface! *()*

Offline Blue Jean Baby

• RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2004, 06:19:26 PM »
Blue Jean Baby,
                   It's not a matter of Ami's sexuality - Survivor put it on their web-site for all to see. I, for one like her and how she plays the game...plus she's hotter than hot. Maybe she's taking the man-hating a little too far, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do to claim the $1,000,000...

i totally agree with you...

Riverrat

« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2004, 11:26:12 PM »
River- don't you remember how much everyone focused on Richard's sexuallity on S1? Maybe it is different for men.

LOL I think they just focused on Richards nudity.  **0

Offline 'keeta

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • HOME!
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2004, 10:09:59 PM »
River- Well, Rudy sure was occupied with Richard's sexuallity. Hmmm...military boys? **0