Author Topic: “Man-Hating Lesbian”  (Read 4675 times)

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
“Man-Hating Lesbian”
« on: October 17, 2004, 01:40:15 AM »
I wanted to bring this over from the News Page Survivor Recap 10-14 I hope that Trevor doesn't mind..You've got to read this ..I was LMAO  :()()

Survivor Recap 10-14
Posted on Friday, October 15 @ 09:22:39PM EDT
Topic: Survivor 
Who would get the ziggy this week....would Jeff Probst's hair move....read here for a recap of Survivor.

By Trevor Freeman

First off, if I’m on that island and there is an earthquake and a volcanic eruption, I am running for the ocean. I was pretty shocked nobody did that.

Secondly, you knew it was coming. The producers had to stop the trend of voting off the youngsters. I can just picture Mark Burnett saying into his headset, “Julie is one step away from getting voted off the island, it’s about time we switch up the teams.” Last night the Scout got to divide up everybody into teams and Sarge got to choose which team he wanted. Basically Rory and Bubba got sent over to the women and Julie and Twila got switched to the men. You knew this was going to kill Rory and Bubba’s chances. Twila is probably gone early now as well. Julie I think will be able to hold out for awhile because she’s hot. To put it bluntly, if I was stuck on an island for a month with no television, sporting equipment, and beer there’s absolutely no way I vote off the only thing that could possibly distract me from my misery.

After the switch Lopevi (we’ll now go by tribal name, they are basically the men plus Julie and Twila) win the reward challenge which involves diving deep into the water and grabbing rings attached to a rope. The prize was Pringles and beer. That winning of Pringles could be the cheapest plug in Reality TV history. There was nowhere near enough beer either. They should have rolled in a keg. Something good would have been appropriate. Yvengling, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale or a frosty Guinness would have been my choices.

Post-challenge the newbies in each tribe were hanging out. The only interesting tidbit was that Ami said something to the effect of, “I don’t think we should show them all of our secrets, we’re still five women strong.” Pretty bitchy on her part. I then had a hunch, which I checked out. Ami is a man-hating lesbian. If you go to cbs.com and check out her profile you will see that she is currently dating “Crissy” whom she has been with for three years. From now on her name will not be Ami in any of my columns, it will be “Man-Hating Lesbian” or “The Man-Hating Lesbian”. BTW, I’m sorry about the no recap last week, but I’m really trying to step it up here. Having a little fun as I do it also. If somebody could get word to “The Man-Hating Lesbian” about her new nickname it would be greatly appreciated. I have been dying to get some hate mail from a reality TV personality. BTW, this is no offense to the lesbian population. I have absolutely no problem with any of you. In fact I just found out a girl that I know who is really cute is a lesbian and I think that is outstanding work on her part. Ami is just comes from the branch of the lesbian family that dislikes men.

The immunity challenge for this week involved untying some knots and assembling a canoe. Lopevi won this again easily. While Jeff Probst was explaining the challenge, Bubba made a hand signal at Chris. He was caught doing this by “The Man-Hating Lesbian”. Bubba getting caught doing this led to his being eliminated in that night’s elimination ceremony. Rory is now on a tribe with five women. How f*cked is he? Tune in next week to find out. 

If you have any questions or comments on this article email: trevor.freeman@east2westsports.com

Offline Rob

• RFF Administrator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Reality Fan Forum
Re: “Man-Hating Lesbian”
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2004, 06:07:03 PM »
LMAO! I love it!

Rob

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2004, 11:18:06 AM »
Yeah its funny, to bad we can't get Trevor to post in the message boards ..I'm sure he would add alot..he's a awesome writer and I love his news columns . **:)**

this looks like a good place to post a recent article found at Survivor fever

Lesbians, Femininity, and Survivor
Sarah Warn, October 12, 2004

On a recent episode of the wildly popular CBS series Survivor: Vanuatu, we got a glimpse of both how far women have come, and how far we have still to go, when a lesbian ex-Playboy model advised a straight highway repair woman on how to be more "girly."

The conversation in question occurred on the third episode of Survivor: Vanuatu, when Twila (presumed to be heterosexual from her bio) indicated frustration in a tribal council session with some of the (younger) women for not making an effort to get to know her, saying they shouldn't judge her until they've walked in her shoes. When asked why she herself didn't make more of an effort, Twila stated that she found it difficult to relate to many of the other women in their tribe, because “I am the tomboy. I do weld, I do fix trucks. I do those things and it’s hard for me to bring up conversations with these women that I feel I have nothing in common with.” To which lesbian model/barista Ami offered this advice:

“Have you taken the time to walk in these girls’ shoes and realize they’re just girls, they like to play on the beach, they like to do girly stuff.  Like, have you taken that time?  Do you realize that right now is your opportunity to, like, find the feminine side of you and just let go of ‘this is what I am’ and realize there is so much more to you than just that?”
She then finished off by suggesting Twila start by letting one of the other women French braid her hair, because “It feels nice to have someone else French braid your hair." Meanwhile, all the other women looked on and said nothing (at least, it was edited to look that way).

There is much that is good about Survivor: Vanuatu's portrayal of women. It's rare to find women like Twila on TV—women who embody traits that are more associated with masculinity in our culture—and Ami is a welcome challenge to the all-lesbians-are-butch stereotype that is so pervasive in our culture. Throw in older lesbian contestant Scout, who is a rancher/entrepreneur somewhere in-between the other two on the femininity scale, and heterosexual contestants like sheep farmer Dolly, real estate agent Lisa, and finance manager Mia, and Survivor: Vanuatu offers a more interesting and diverse representation of what a woman, and a lesbian, looks like, than most reality shows. The fact that the women's group includes conservative Christians and lesbians working well together side-by-side is also encouraging.

But while Scout and Ami challenge stereotypes about lesbians for Survivor's millions of viewers, Ami's attempt to encourage Twila to be more feminine, however kindly meant, is problematic. It's one thing to embrace femininity yourself; it's quite another to propagate the idea that all women should embrace their "feminine side"—that we are all ultimately "just girls," who like to do "girly stuff."

Although many lesbians adhere to the traditional standards of femininity encouraged by our culture, there has historically been a certain amount of tolerance among lesbians towards women who choose not to do so—at least, more tolerance than you're likely to find among your average group of straight women. Lesbian and bisexual women, in fact, have usually been on the forefront of standing up to conventions that keep women in narrowly defined roles (like the right to vote, or to wear pants), since it is easier to challenge a patriarchal system when you are less dependent on that system for financial and social survival.

Ami is hardly suggesting that Twila wear corsets and fan herself while men do the real work; her idea of being "girly" is still a modern one which includes room for being a strong competitor in physical and mental tasks, as Ami has clearly demonstrated herself to be. Ami's point that Twila also needs to make an effort to get to know the other women is a valid one, and Ami was right to call her on that.

But her comments became problematic when they turned to a suggestion to be more feminine. When lesbians begin actively policing femininity, even a little, and in such a public forum, you have to wonder: who will be left to ensure that women feel free to express themselves in a diversity of ways?

Lesbian contestants on reality shows like Survivor and Battle of the Sexes 2 who challenge the persistent assumption held by heterosexuals and lesbians alike that most lesbians are butch is helpful since it's not only inaccurate, it makes many lesbians who don't fit that stereotype feel detached from and marginalized by the lesbian community. But we should be careful not to go to the other extreme and start exhibiting the same deleterious behavior towards butch women—gay or straight.

This scene on Survivor is only a few minutes of a single television show, and it's not likely to leave a lasting impression on the majority of its viewers. But it's indicative of a trend towards publicly marginalizing butch women that appears to be increasing on television as lesbian visibility does, manifesting itself through comments like the "hundred-footer" one on the first season of The L Word (as in "you can tell she's a lesbian from a hundred feet away"); the humorous rejection of a butch woman's advances, as in the lesbian-themed episode of Fastlane; and all the small jokes about how butch women look like men, like the one on Friends about Ross mistaking Carol and Susan's friend Tonya for Huey Lewis.

Television is increasingly taking pot shots at butch lesbians for entertainment value, with the double purpose of reminding all women of the consequences of not being feminine enough.

Making fun of butch women isn't new—heterosexuals have been doing it for years on film and television—but it's increasingly lesbians taking the shots these days, as demonstrated by the lesbian-penned episodes of Fastlane and The L Word (although to be fair, The L Word has challenged conventional standards of femininity in other ways). Although Ami wasn't making fun of Twila for not being feminine enough (in fact, she was clearly trying to be helpful, not hurtful), her comments communicated a similar message: that Twila—and women like her—don't quite measure up.

Just like you don't have to be a person of color to understand that racism has a negative effect on people of all races, you don't have to be butch to appreciate that reinforcing standards of femininity ultimately limits all women. We may not be able to stop the overwhelming social pressure to conform to traditional standards of beauty, but let's at least not contribute to it.

NOTE: AfterEllen.com is not affiliated with Ellen Degeneres or The L Word
Thoughts? Feedback? comments@afterellen.com
Copyright © 2004 AfterEllen.com
http://www.afterellen.com/TV/102004/survivor.html

Offline Bathfizzy

• RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I love Reality TV
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2004, 01:01:31 AM »
I love Trevor's article, he is very funny isn't he.  The second article is a little heavy but still good.  Thanks Puddin.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2004, 01:17:47 AM »
Just saw you on line BathFizzy  (#) I wanted to say Hello and see how your doing? Miss you tons  :-*

Offline Trevor

• RFF Writer
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "We're just hoping work can overcome smartness."
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2004, 09:43:10 AM »
Thank you all very much for your compliments.  I do read the message boards, I just have not posted on them like I should be doing. 

*()*
"Gin is a morose widow. Tequila is the supple mistress with the cojones to attend the funeral. Pour me some mistress."

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2004, 11:10:57 AM »
Trevor .. **:)** Welcome to the boards  ..we hope that you stop by more often  **:)**
We always keep some Pringles and Beer handy  for our members to munch on while browsing the forums  *()*

Offline Trevor

• RFF Writer
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "We're just hoping work can overcome smartness."
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2004, 12:27:48 PM »
Since you brought up the Pringles and Beer.  That has to be without a doubt the cheapest plug in Reality TV history.  I cannot believe it happened on Survivor also.  I had something like pegged for a show like "The Benefactor" or something.

I think Rory's time is up on Thursday.
"Gin is a morose widow. Tequila is the supple mistress with the cojones to attend the funeral. Pour me some mistress."

Offline Kimberly

• RFF Newbie
  • I love Reality TV!
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2004, 02:43:06 PM »
Hello,
Does anyone know what coffee shop Ami works at over there in Lakewood? She is very cute and I would love to meet her one of these days. Perhaps someone knows a friend of hers who I can contact?

Thanks

Offline 'keeta

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • HOME!
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2004, 08:43:03 PM »
I thought it was so funny how defensive Ami got about showing the men how to open a coconut. Who gives a damn about a coconut? Why not keep some of the more important stuff secret, like how to find the sugar cane or make a meal?

Did anyone notice Scout's reaction when the sugar cane was mentioned? You could tell she wanted to tell the other girls to keep it on the down low.
Make it Idiot Proof and Someone will make a better Idiot.  :whip: