Author Topic: Early Show Inteview JohnP & Mia  (Read 3207 times)

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
Early Show Inteview JohnP & Mia
« on: October 01, 2004, 12:38:45 PM »
Survivor's Ousted Duo: Mia, J.P.

Sept. 30, 2004

'Survivor' Sends Two Packing

John Palyok and Mia Galeotalanza were both voted off of the island.  (Photo: CBS/The Early Show)

(CBS) The tribes spoke twice Thursday night on "Survivor: Vanuatu." In the end, both tribes sacrificed one of their own. In a rare twist, both teams went to tribal council. The men of the Lopevi tribe voted off John Palyok (known as J.P. on the island), while the women of the Yasur tribe dismissed Mia Galeotalanza.

Both outcasts appeared Friday on The Early Show, first to be interviewed by co-anchor Harry Smith and then to answer questions called in by viewers.

J.P. said that the younger men made a mistake in the beginning: "Sarge, on Day One, says, 'Let's form an alliance,' and all of the young guys looked around and said, 'This is Day One. You're not supposed to be saying this, and you're saying it out loud.' After we shunned him…he went over to the older guys, and that's when it was five against four. We were toast."

(Later, in sharing a bit of "Survivor" trivia, J.P. told The Early Show co-host Rene Syler that the younger guys started out referring to the older guys' alliance as "the Fab Five," but later amended it to "the Fat Five.")

On of the dramatic high points of Thursday night's broadcast was a bitter argument between Mia and tribe mate Twila, when the language got a little rough.

"I was starved! I was starved! I was delusional!" Mia claimed, by way of explanation, adding, "I didn't mean to get caught."

Mia told Harry Smith that Twila "just absolutely got under my skin, and she beat me. I mean, she did what she had to do and it worked. I'm here and she's not."

There is another player named John on Vanuatu (John Kenney), and he won individual immunity. As part of his prize, he was directed to spend the afternoon with Yasur (the women's tribe) and then designate one of the women to receive immunity as well.

On The Early Show, Mia said she was not only surprised by the announcement that there would be two tribal councils, but also by who received individual immunity from John Kenney: Ami.

"I didn't understand that at all," said Mia. And she also did not like how John separated the women when he first arrived at the camp, asking who had voted Dolly out.

"He found out the alliances on the women's side," Mia said, "and I think giving Ami the immunity was definitely a strategy on his part. I don't understand it, though."

Even though they were voted out of the game in its early stage, both J.P. and Mia agreed they are glad they played.

"To me, it was a life-changing experience," said J.P., "and when someone says, 'J.P., what did you take back from the island?' I could say, 'Appreciation.' I now have more appreciation of the people around me, the people I've interacted (with) in my life, as well as the elements now, and the resources that are so viable and essential to life, such as food, water and shelter!"

He added, "And I'll never ever look at a coconut the same again!"

Mia said she feels that same way, though, she quipped, she had a great appreciation for food before she went to Vanuatu.
Cindy from Ohio: "Mia, what's with the attitude? You should have handled the problem on the sideline, not in front of the other ladies."

Does Mia believe that she would have saved herself if she had not been so public in her differences with Twila?

Mia's response: "Should I have controlled my temper a little bit more? Maybe. She pushed me to the edge. You guys only saw a little bit of it… She was a nightmare! It was a nightmare out there with her… You've got to understand: We just had a tribal council the night before, so the last thing I expected was to be dismissed five minutes after that."

Sherri from North Carolina: "There seems to be a love-hate relationship between Sarge and Rory. What are your thoughts?"

J.P.'s response: "Yes, there definitely was a love-hate relationship." He pointed out that as much as Sarge wanted to get rid of Rory instead of J.P., he had to defer to the other people in his alliance. "The young guys, if we could influence Sarge to swing the other way, we would have our guy to pull us through, but it wasn't going to happen."

Lisa in Delaware wanted to know if J.P. and Mia had studied previous "Survivor" installments to help them develop strategies.

J.P. responded that he had, adding, "A lot of the episodes I watched, there was a mixture of guys and girls in the beginning, so this was a total surprise for me, because I had my own strategy going into the game, but I didn't know I was going to be surrounded by eight other guys. So that totally threw off my strategy."

As for Mia, she replied, "I thought it was more of a numbers game, getting five strong. And in the women's tribe, we had that at the beginning. (But) when the whole Dolly thing happened, and she was wavering, I knew that was the beginning of the end for the young girls."

Kimberly from Massachusetts called to praise Mia for being so outspoken and to ask her if she was shocked by Lisa's vote (to oust Mia from the game). Mia said she did not know until she watched the broadcast Thursday night that it had been Lisa who switched her vote from Twila to Mia; before that, she had not been sure if it was Lisa or Eliza. And, of course, she was feeling hurt and angry.

The final phone call came from another Kimberly, who turned out to be one of Mia's old classmates, from elementary school, who told her, "We're so proud of you."

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/09/30/earlyshow/series/survivor/main646644.shtml

Offline Texan

• Robs Bestest Angel
  • RFF Global Moderator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Groovy!!!
Re: Early Show Inteview JohnP & Mia
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2004, 01:08:19 PM »
They both said that they watched other survivors prior to comign on the show.....however JP said they shunned sarge on teh first day because they did not think they shoud talk about alliances on the first day  :\/

And Mia said maybe she should have controlled her anger ~ HELLO!!!

Mia still sounds bitter!  ALso she did nto know about the Lisa vote until she wtched the show?  You would think that someone at loser lodge would be able to tell her the votes since is looks like it will come up in the next episode.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2004, 07:51:27 PM »
Mia said she did not know until she watched the broadcast Thursday night that it had been Lisa who switched her vote from Twila to Mia , before that, she had not been sure if it was Lisa or Eliza. And, of course, she was feeling hurt and angry.

But  yet in the Insider transcipts
 "Mia the Day After"
we hear Mia say "...I thought Lisa was gonna be voting with us, and she didn't."
Don't know how she knew, but apparently she knew. She seems quite 'matter of fact' in the way she says that.

:\/   could she have been coached as what to say ? which is it  ?:)?
I'm going to watch Richards show from this afternoon, I'll let you know if she tells a different story to him  :)_{}

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2004, 10:38:41 PM »
Just watched Richards  show , again Mia said that she had no clue untill watching last nights episode that Lisa had voted her out

Here you can hear where Mia says that she thought that Lisa( or does she say Eliza?) was going to be voting with us but she didn't , about 3 minutes in ..
Mia The Day After Clip   

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2004, 08:24:09 PM »
yeah yeah , I cant let this die~

Chapter Four

"Mia the Day After"

Mia says that Survivor was a lot harder than she believed. She said the game itself and the group dynamics were the most difficult stuff. Mia says usually she can get along with anyone, but that's what got her voted out of the game. Mia believes she became a cancer in the tribe because of the fight with Twila, which she doesn't completely understand. She says that getting voted off was a kick in the stomach, but she knew that she would be getting votes. She mentions that she knew Lisa did not vote with the two of them. She said that the seven days out there were the best days off her life and she is sad to be out of the game. She says being voted off was difficult because she is a sore loser. Mia says the lack of food and sleep was what hurt her the most and mentions that her body began to breakdown. She said after day one she was drained, but she worked hard in the challenges. Mia says the best part of the game is that she toughed it out and didn't quit.

From~
http://www.survivorshrine.com/s9/articles/10.03.04b.shtml

Offline Texan

• Robs Bestest Angel
  • RFF Global Moderator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Groovy!!!
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2004, 09:20:22 AM »
She is a sore loser  ~ really we could not guess that from all of the poutty face and eye rolling.

Sounds like someone is trying to throw people off with the I did not know Lisa voted for me. 

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2004, 12:07:18 PM »
Maybe its nothing but, I think Mia slipped when she changed her story,first she said that she knew that Lisa voted for her and then changed her story ,that she didn't know untill she watched the show that Lisa voted for her ? Could be something ..maybe somewhat of a spoiler or maybe I'm reading to much into it ...lol yes me ..

Offline Texan

• Robs Bestest Angel
  • RFF Global Moderator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Groovy!!!
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2004, 12:38:10 PM »
I think she changed her story to try and make sure she did not point to a person that may or may not go to loser lodge.  The only way she would know is if another lady goes to loser lodge.  She still seems bitter ~ finnally should be really interesting.