Author Topic: TAR 27 Speculation and Discussion of **SPOILERS**  (Read 327160 times)

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
Re: TAR 27 Speculation and Discussion of **SPOILERS**
« Reply #100 on: June 23, 2015, 08:21:40 AM »
http://www.aeroportogaleao.net/en/rio-de-janeiro-galeao-flight-timetable-schedules

According to this website, only the Atlanta flight, the AA 905 Miami flight with teams, and another flight from Houston have made it to Rio.  The other two earlier flights from Miami and another earlier flight from New York haven't made it yet.  Looks like they were possibly all rerouted through Sao Paolo or Brasilia.

Edit: Declive says Phil is there, so somehow they made it!  (Houston flight maybe?)

I suspect rain..........it is the middle of the winter there in Rio.........but......Rio is on the Tropic of Capricorn.....so similar winter weather as Miami...certainly not cold.....daytimes about 75F and nighttime about 55F.....but if it is raining..it will feel colder.

There was a very strange radar rack for AA901 and it did show it going to Sao Paulo...but hopefully we can find out later what actually happened. They probably got a very heavy rainstorm this morning.
Matthew 7:15

Offline Plaidmoon

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #101 on: June 23, 2015, 08:41:12 AM »
I tried checking out current weather in Rio with only modest success. As best I can tell, it hasn't rained, but they did have one observation of fog about 4.5 hours ago (don't know how dense). They also reported mist a couple of times, which shouldn't affect visibility enough to impact landings at the airport. However, I can't tell where this weather station is and I don't know where the airport is located. If it's near the water, fog could be more likely.

Time for a little more digging.

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #102 on: June 23, 2015, 08:46:42 AM »
Airport is on Governors Island in Guanabara Bay

Supposed to be sunny today..........but rain starts tonight. I sure hope they are not camping out tonight.  They could have had some kind of equipment failure in the in the air traffic control system.........it is Brasil......lol
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 08:55:43 AM by DrRox »

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #103 on: June 23, 2015, 08:56:44 AM »
I just looked at Weather Underground, and it's warm in Rio (in the 80s already) and a significant change of rain tomorrow. The weather station reported patchy fog between 6:20 and 8:00 am local time, but no rain yesterday or so far today.
http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/SBRJ/2015/6/23/DailyHistory.html?req_city=Rio%20De%20Janeiro&req_statename=Brazil&reqdb.zip=00000&reqdb.magic=1&reqdb.wmo=83755
-- theschnauzers

Offline Plaidmoon

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #104 on: June 23, 2015, 09:07:45 AM »
Thanks, the schnauzers. That's where I was searching. I hadn't used weather underground for a while. Have they screwed that site up! It's much harder to use now.

It turned out that I was looking at the airport weather station in Rio. As best I can tell, the airport had observations of a quarter to a half mile visibility with fog at 7 AM and 8 AM local time (about 3-4 hours ago). For a couple of hours before that visibility was 2-5 miles. It's over 6 miles for a couple of hours now.

I guess trying to get there an hour or so earlier than the teams put Phil and the staff right in the period of fog. It's a possible reason for diverting to Sao Paulo.

I imagine they were close enough that Phil could still get to the mat ahead of the teams, but it might make the live stand up difficult. Would they just have the teams pause somewhere for an hour or two to let Phil catch up?

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #105 on: June 23, 2015, 09:31:27 AM »
Platoon, I use WUi all the time, so maybe I just adapted. Hint: when you type in a city in the search box, you will normally get the airport for that location. since Phil made it to the airport in Rio, maybe something else caused the delAy. And did anyone at the start line or are LAX confirm which flights were actually used. I know we spotlight info  from research, but did that info verify?
That might help to find an explanation for the apparent delay for the flight production was on.
-- theschnauzers

Offline Xarles

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #106 on: June 23, 2015, 09:51:56 AM »
All teams got to the cluebox in the Lagoa. Once our ground team got there, there was only production.

Overheard from production is that the pit stop (or the location right after the Lagoa) was in the Copacabana Beach!

Pics to come!

Here's a big chunk of Copacabana LIVE:

http://rioaovivo.com/praia-de-copacabana-english.html

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #107 on: June 23, 2015, 10:28:39 AM »
Courtney Rohde ‏@courtneyrohde 48 minhace 48 minutos

Exploring Rio de Janeiro today and the @AmazingRace_CBS is filming here! What an awesome site in a beautiful location!

Docol asked her for more info. Here's her answer:

Courtney Rohde ‏@courtneyrohde 23 minHace 23 minutos

@doco86 @brunolad We didn't see too much! They arrived on helicopter and it was a checkpoint! Here are teams arriving pic.twitter.com/TjJfR8rLSG

Helipad is on Urca Hill, where the cable car passes to go up to Sugarloaf Mountain.

Offline BritishTARFan

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #108 on: June 23, 2015, 11:11:33 AM »
Does anyone think we might see Iguaçu?

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #109 on: June 23, 2015, 11:15:17 AM »

This is Aorador Rock on the bottom of the photo. Copacabana Beach is in the background and Sugarloaf is in the far background. The helipad is too the left in this photo

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Fearless of ticket agents - too hot to be handled!
« Reply #110 on: June 23, 2015, 11:26:24 AM »
Re-experience the Gutsy Grannies Brazilian glory, perhaps South Africa and Namibia again afterward, evading Europe
:conf:

But genuinely chatting, I think Brazil will have a second Leg and it might take place in São Paulo because it is a more open gateway to international travel. I don't think WRP would recreate TAR2.
<3 Family, friends, food, freedom...FULFILLED <3
Countries "raced": Greece (2019), Italy (2017), Switzerland (2017), Taiwan (2016), U.S. (WA 2013, CA [S.F. 2014, L.A. 2023], TX 2021, IL all the time)

Offline naejae91

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #111 on: June 23, 2015, 11:43:54 AM »

Maybe. That would recreate the amazingness of TAR2 Brazil leg.  :luvya:

But I personally desperate want an Amazon leg. We never had an Amazon leg in Anglo TAR version. (I never watch TARLA4, but TARLA4 did actually host an Amazon leg IIRC.)
TAR25/TAR29: Modern classic season.

Offline Plaidmoon

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #112 on: June 23, 2015, 12:07:36 PM »
If they wanted to do something different, they could go somewhere nearby like Uruguay next, then go to Iguacu or the Amazon next. However, they would likely be leaving South America after that and international travel from the more remote parts of Brazil is probably too complicated and delay prone for TAR.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #113 on: June 23, 2015, 12:09:13 PM »
I don't have the city name handy, but Anthony Bourdain did an episode of his CNN Parts Unknown series in a city several hundred miles up the coast from Rio. It would make a fascinating leg just based on that episode.
-- theschnauzers

Offline Plaidmoon

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #114 on: June 23, 2015, 12:12:51 PM »
I don't have the city name handy, but Anthony Bourdain did an episode of his CNN Parts Unknown series in a city several hundred miles up the coast from Rio. It would make a fascinating leg just based on that episode.

I believe that was Manaus. I almost mentioned it above. That would likely work for TAR because it's a city of over 1.5 million people, so it would likely have decent airline flights.

It would be fascinating. I'd love to see that.

Offline Marionete

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • The sky's more blue
« Reply #115 on: June 23, 2015, 12:27:53 PM »
I speculate they might visit a new country in South America - Colombia, Guyana, Suriname, Venezuela have all never been visited. I have no knowledge of the political situation there, but it would be hella cool to see one of those countries get a first-time visit.

Offline Coutzy

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Is it really that time again?
« Reply #116 on: June 23, 2015, 12:33:53 PM »
Could Cuba be on the table, with relations improving?

Offline naejae91

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #117 on: June 23, 2015, 12:38:27 PM »

I believe that was Manaus. I almost mentioned it above. That would likely work for TAR because it's a city of over 1.5 million people, so it would likely have decent airline flights.

It would be fascinating. I'd love to see that.

Manaus was placed in the area Amazon rain forest and the only transportation connected Manaus was either by boat or plane only IIRC.

Offline naejae91

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #118 on: June 23, 2015, 12:41:40 PM »

I speculate they might visit a new country in South America - Colombia, Guyana, Suriname, Venezuela have all never been visited. I have no knowledge of the political situation there, but it would be hella cool to see one of those countries get a first-time visit.

None for those above countries will visited as those countries was seens either unsafe (Colombia & Venezuela) or potential logistic issue. (Guyana, Suriname)

Offline Maanca

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #119 on: June 23, 2015, 12:44:46 PM »

The US has long had political issues with Venezuela. But maybe things have improved now that Hugo Chavez is gone, I don't know.

Offline Bookworm

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #120 on: June 23, 2015, 01:34:14 PM »
Because both F/F teams shown doing the Detour in Copacabana were wearing white bikinis, could the bathing suits have been provided/part of a task?
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better; it's not" - The Lorax

Offline Marionete

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • The sky's more blue
« Reply #121 on: June 23, 2015, 02:13:06 PM »
I doubt that :funny: They probably just brought those clothes in their bags.
I wonder, though, if this leg featured a roadblock. It probably did not, as it was the first leg featuring team introductions and the starting line + its task. But that makes it quite a short leg in Brazil with few opportunities to catch up.

Thanks for letting me know about the situation in SA countries :love2:

Offline couchracer

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #122 on: June 23, 2015, 02:41:51 PM »
Weren't both TMZ girls and Love athlete girls wearing similar bikinis. That makes it seems like a provided costume.
We'll eventually find out.

Offline Declive

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #123 on: June 23, 2015, 02:44:58 PM »
Our team believes the clothes were provided.
100% commitment makes everything easy
99% commitment makes everything hard

Offline couchracer

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #124 on: June 23, 2015, 02:50:59 PM »
A leg in the Amazon would be amazing. You can fly into Manaus, but I saw only 4 airlines listed.