Author Topic: TAR 24 Ratings  (Read 24411 times)

Offline Leafsfan.

• TAR Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
TAR 24 Ratings
« on: February 24, 2014, 09:08:00 PM »
TAR' had its worst rated episode in history yesterday  :'( Only about 5 million tuned into watch. (In comparison last fall's first epi drew 9 million).

"On CBS, the premiere of The Amazing Race earned a 1.6 adults 18-49 rating, the lowest rating ever for a season premiere. Note: the episode start time was delayed 13 minutes due to overrun of CBS golf coverage. Last spring's premiere earned a 2.5 adults 18-49 rating."

Source:http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2014/02/24/tv-ratings-sunday-olympics-closing-ceremony-falls-from-2010-the-amazing-race-hits-premiere-low/239528/
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 01:41:04 PM by georgiapeach »

Offline Jimmer

• Big Brother Sho2 Updater
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: Ratings
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 10:13:33 PM »
Obviously the low numbers were because of the Closing Ceremonies of the Olympics being broadcasted on NBC.

Offline gamerfan09

• HOST: Design Challenge 8
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 11:16:19 PM »
Obviously the low numbers were because of the Closing Ceremonies of the Olympics being broadcasted on NBC.

And the fact that sports ran TAR late, and it was fighting against The Walking Dead on AMC sure didn't help at all. :/

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 11:48:52 PM »
Four years ago (TAR 16) IIRC, TAR did not go up against the closing ceremonies of the Vancouver Olympics. We'll have to see what the "plus" three, seven and 30 numbers look like.
-- theschnauzers

Offline Plaidmoon

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2014, 03:46:43 AM »

And the fact that sports ran TAR late, and it was fighting against The Walking Dead on AMC sure didn't help at all. :/

Also, it was up against the Daytona 500 on FOX, which had been delayed 5-6 hours by rain, and season finale of Downton Abbey on CBS. It was a perfect storm of strong competition for TAR. Next week they only have the Oscars to worry about.

:crybabe:

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2014, 05:32:26 AM »
5 million for an Allstars season? :'(

Offline Plaidmoon

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2014, 06:58:47 AM »

I don't think TAR has ever faced a stronger lineup of shows on the other networks as they did this week. I was expecting the ratings to be something like this. Next week against the Oscars won't be very good either. It'll be interesting to see if people were recording TAR for later viewing or watching it online. Also, it'll be interesting to see how much the ratings improve from episode 3 onward.

Offline theamazingracer21

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2014, 07:14:52 AM »
They should have started it in a few weeks time.

Do you think that they will put on a re-run on Friday or Saturday as catch up for those that missed out and to gain as much viewers as possible?

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2014, 07:25:39 AM »
+ Is this the first time Survivor is starting AFTER TAR? :O

Offline Jimmer

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2014, 09:25:25 AM »

Do you think that they will put on a re-run on Friday or Saturday as catch up for those that missed out and to gain as much viewers as possible?

Doubtful, CBS has never aired reruns of TAR ever, it won't happen.

Offline Jimmer

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2014, 09:26:45 AM »

I don't think TAR has ever faced a stronger lineup of shows on the other networks as they did this week. I was expecting the ratings to be something like this. Next week against the Oscars won't be very good either. It'll be interesting to see if people were recording TAR for later viewing or watching it online. Also, it'll be interesting to see how much the ratings improve from episode 3 onward.

We also have March Madness (The NCAA Basketball tournament) coming up going to cause delays and draw away fans. The ratings will not look good this season which is sad because it is All-Stars.

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2014, 10:42:42 AM »

Doubtful, CBS has never aired reruns of TAR ever, it won't happen.

There is an old parable........."Never say never." CBS has done this exact same scenario in my area in multiple races/years.
Matthew 7:15

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2014, 11:49:19 AM »
Several comments:
Individual TAR episodes have been repeated on a literal handful of occasions over the years; the premeire episode of the series was repeated after 9/11 after all network programming (save the second season of Big Brother) were delayed by a week due to those attacks. There was a power blackout in the Northeast one time (TAR 6, I think) that prompted a repeat the following Saturday) and individual stations might have delayed airing an episode due to local programming (such as pro or college sports games the CBS station had rights to air live in that market.)

Downton Abbey was airing on PBS, not CBS, and it was the season finale; but that plus the Daytona 500 that was rain delayed for hours, the Walking Dead, and the Olympic Closing Ceremonies was an overload, not to mention that TAR itself was delayed on the east coast by 13 minutes. Compared to all that, the Oscars may be easier competition. :)

As of last year March Madness is no longer an issue with TAR's scheduling (or Survivor) as both shows are now outside the broadcast schedules for that first week. The play-in games are not aired on CBS on Wednesday night; and the last of the round of 32 teams games are generally played on CBS in the afternoon. The other thing to keep in mind with the NCAA tournament is that CBS is sharing the broadcast rights with its own cable sports channel, and with Time-Warner's TBS channel, and TNT channel. Turner and CBS are sharing the later weekends of the tournament, and IIRC, there will be years where the final four may be on cable and not on CBS.
-- theschnauzers

Offline Leafsfan.

• TAR Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2014, 01:07:33 PM »
Is the show in trouble?

Probably not. Last time they did all stars they skipped thr next spring season.

Offline Jimmer

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2014, 10:01:59 PM »
I know the NCAA tournament isn't an issue with scheduling, but it could cause a dip in the ratings as well because of fighting for viewers because IIRC, there are some games that air Sunday night on the sister networks while TAR would air. Also, I remember the tournament causing delays as well, it's just something to look forward to in the upcoming weeks with ratings.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2014, 09:16:11 AM »
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Spitty2013

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2014, 01:32:44 PM »
If your're  looking for reruns  in case you guys missed any episodes this season, I know for sure that TVGN (if you get that channel) is showing repeats (including Cagayan) on Saturday evenings. I can't remember the times they listed but I saw a ton of commercials from them about it (they had a marathon of UB and S22 this past weekend before All-Stars 2 started, and they are currently showing a 3-hr marathon of Survivor: Palau all this week).

If we're lucky (and again, if you get TVGN), since TVGN has been a little happy with showing some CBS programming (especially their entire showcase of Survivor before Blood vs. Water started in September), maybe they obtained the rights to show TAR as well. That's just me wishful thinking though.

Offline dryedmangoez

• RFF Frantic Poster
    • DryedMangoez.com
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2014, 03:13:09 PM »
About The Walking Dead, a few of TAR23's most watched episodes were the ones that went directly against it at 9pm.

But again, let's not sugar coat the numbers. TAR has had a steep decline in ratings in the last year and they've had just as much competition as in years past.
TAR can't continue on like this.  All the Ford and Snapple sponsorships won't be enough to help. They need to make big improvements.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2014, 03:48:44 PM »
If your're  looking for reruns  in case you guys missed any episodes this season, I know for sure that TVGN (if you get that channel) is showing repeats (including Cagayan) on Saturday evenings. I can't remember the times they listed but I saw a ton of commercials from them about it (they had a marathon of UB and S22 this past weekend before All-Stars 2 started, and they are currently showing a 3-hr marathon of Survivor: Palau all this week).

If we're lucky (and again, if you get TVGN), since TVGN has been a little happy with showing some CBS programming (especially their entire showcase of Survivor before Blood vs. Water started in September), maybe they obtained the rights to show TAR as well. That's just me wishful thinking though.

CBS now owns TVGN.
-- theschnauzers

Offline Spitty2013

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2014, 10:15:43 PM »

CBS now owns TVGN.
[/quote]

That makes total sense to me now. You learn something new every day!  :funny:

TAR can't continue on like this.  All the Ford and Snapple sponsorships won't be enough to help. They need to make big improvements.

I wholeheartedly agree. I remember reading a post on Rob Has a Website (as well as some posts here) about possible improvements. One of the biggest ones needs to be casting. I feel that , the only good (recent) casts were 17 and 21. I think that CBS should take a look at the Aus2 cast. I could handle a mediocre route if the casting is spot on like it was that season. If we're lucky, maybe CBS will look at the backlash from the casting this season. I would work on the casting, then the route in that order, since most people are going to see the cast first.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2014, 10:07:36 AM »
Several productions interviews keep saying "we read the message boards" and "the fans wanted to see XX back again, that's why they were chosen" ...  :res:

Here is where you can suggest changes: ESPECIALLY CAST SUGGESTIONS (ALL new non celebrity-ish racers PLEASE!--see TARC and TARaus for ideas, lol)

http://forum.realityfanforum.com/index.php/topic,29612.0.html

But let's keep THIS thread for ratings info/discussion only please.

RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2014, 11:42:34 PM »
Things are not looking well.. against Oscars this week.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2014, 11:46:19 PM »
Jobby, just to show you what is happening with all of the broadcast nets, TAR was ranked 22nd in the weekly ratings (i.e., top 25) last week, as it usually has been throughout most of its run after around 2004 or 2005.

Context is important in those ratings, and TAR's final ratings for each episode will now include any viewers who watch the TVGN repeats on Saturdays.
-- theschnauzers

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2014, 12:35:02 AM »
TAR's final ratings for each episode will now include any viewers who watch the TVGN repeats on Saturdays.

Do we know that for sure? I thought the "3 day" rule might take precedence here. I was actually thinking that offering another way to watch later could actually HURT our ratings for "first watch".
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2014, 12:50:47 AM »
Jobby, just to show you what is happening with all of the broadcast nets, TAR was ranked 22nd in the weekly ratings (i.e., top 25) last week, as it usually has been throughout most of its run after around 2004 or 2005.

It used to be Top 10 at times amongst the 22-25 AND usually it's the Top 20 shows in the week. Falling out of the top 20 scares me actually AND I've never seen a 5 million ratings number even when it clashes with the Oscars, Olympics opening or anything else in fact.

I guess Episode #1 clashes with WAY TOO MANY shows and I'm just afraid that the numbers are there to stay for the entire season, since I do know of many people who missed the first episode and then decided to give the entire show a miss.