Watch the Houseguests 24/7 with the Big Brother Live Feeds only on CBS All Access. Sign up now and try 1 week FREE!

Author Topic: Previous TAR Seasons Discussions  (Read 62142 times)

Offline Caelestor

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Chronology Synchronizer
Re: Previous TAR Seasons Discussions
« Reply #375 on: June 07, 2016, 09:17:28 PM »
I still maintain that the seasons that embody the best of TAR are 2, 3, 5, 12, 17, and 25, with 1, 7, 10, and 18 a bit more flawed but close behind.

Online gamerfan09

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Jemmett <3
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #376 on: June 11, 2016, 02:44:00 AM »
Anyone who hasn't seen TAR3/5 are missing out on the greatest seasons of Reality TV ever.

Offline dryedmangoez

• RFF Frantic Poster
    • DryedMangoez.com
« Reply #377 on: June 11, 2016, 06:44:37 PM »
I still maintain that the seasons that embody the best of TAR are 2, 3, 5, 12, 17, and 25, with 1, 7, 10, and 18 a bit more flawed but close behind.

I mostly agree.  I think those seasons are definitely the best.  3 and 5 especially at the top.  12 & 17 then 2 then 25 to represent the remaining potential TAR still has.  I'd add 4 to the next tier as well.

10 is definitely next in line to the top tier, but the last Leg really drags the season down.  7 is so meh.  Meredith & Gretchen are All-Stars, but the season overall is mostly cringe worthy.  I'd suggest 11 over 18 as it's an overall much better season and cast in spite of the result.  And TAR1 is such an outlier I think.  It's of course the most classic, but the season just feels so different from what TAR2 even looked like.  Just different editing and different Leg design of course being the first almost test run.

Offline TheBayAreaGuy

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #378 on: June 12, 2016, 04:06:44 PM »
TAR 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, & 9 are all top-tier seasons with 4, 10, & 11 not far behind. 12, 17, & 25 are all good but kinda over-rated. 21, 22, & 23 are decent.

All new/recent fans should watch the original seasons and see how much better the show. The episodes are were more fun and intense.

Fans should be demanding a better product instead of just accepting whatever the producers give them.

Online gamerfan09

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Jemmett <3
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #379 on: June 13, 2016, 12:24:47 AM »
7 is so meh.  Meredith & Gretchen are All-Stars, but the season overall is mostly cringe worthy. 

X

I don't get TAR7 love at all? I thought it was such a boring cesspool of entertainment even though I didn't mind Romber and was just meh on Uchenna & Joyce winning.

Whenever people say it's a top-tier season I just scratch my head.

Online gamerfan09

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Jemmett <3
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #380 on: June 13, 2016, 04:09:39 AM »
Finished rewatching TAR6 and wow it was still good or even better on rewatch. No TAR3/5 but it's still great.

Teams: Hayden & Aaron <33333333 What a top tier team omg and Adam & Rebecca + Lori & Bolo are iconic too (I can't believe it took me an entire rewatch to discover Hayden & Aaron's star power lol). It goes to show that drama can be fun while not losing the essence of the show. There are probably like multiple rivalries per episode and I was here for it :lol: <3 Also, Gus & Hera probably have one of the biggest morphs I have had on a team on rewatch. On first watch they were kinda eh but on rewatch, the minute Gus threw constant shade on Jonathan & Victoria and wanted to get drunk on the Detour I was absolutely here for it alol <3 Ditto with Don & Mary-Jean. Lena & Kristy's journey also sucks even more on rewatch because they really did have the potential to do well :/

The Final Three is also rly underwhelming on rewatch. I love Adam & Rebecca but meh on the two others. If anything, KKKendra's comments really didn't bother me that much on rewatch (since it's not like she dwelled on it the entire episode even though it was awful), but their win was just so underwhelming because aside from them at the Soup RB + "JONATHAN HELP HER!!!!!" + Freddy's Rail meltdown + Kendra getting knocked out by a bungee RB, they really weren't a dynamic team and it sucked they won. Same with Kris & Jon who are rly rly MORboring on rewatch and didn't really have a lot of standout eps.

Also Jonvic are probably even worse on rewatch. What despicable human beings. If they're not camwhoring and being attention-whores, they're so loud and unhealthy for each other. Jonathan is also probably the worst male racer on this show that isn't Justin or Dave. Victoria is also godawful because she can end up just like Jonathan at times.

Meredith & Maria + Avi & Joe are probably some of the most irrelevant first-boots of all time so thank god they were out early.

Episodes: Generally decent season but some legs were eh (the Premiere was so boring) and some were absolutely phenomenal (The Ethiopia leg is probably one of my favorite African legs EVER + the boot was so deliciously satisfying).

I'm also surprised the only task that they made a Switchback on TAR6 was the Haybale RB.

Some of the tasks like:
-The Hungary Soup RB
-The Skate Down a Mountain Detour in Norway (everyone falling down and switching :lol: <3)
-The Grape Stomp RB (it is never not fun watching multiple teams do the task and have everyone rushing to finish quick)
-The Ethiopia RB
-The Xi'An Lock RB (ok they basically did it on 21 but we need many many teams to be on that fence with preferable less locks so no one gets robbed like Hayden)

are very very good tasks (TAR6 excelling at RBs <3 There really was no RB I didn't like aside from the Sri Lanka and Finale RB tbh) and deserve to be brought back.

Overall: I've begun my journey to rewatch all seasons of The Amazing Race for quite some time now, and now that I've fully done TAR1-8 (rewatching 10 now because I hate 9 and will watch the awful ones last), I can rank the first 8 seasons of the golden era with some shifting in placements now!

Ranking:

TAR3=TAR5 (The temptation to put one over the other is too damn high but they are both the gold standards of the show)
TAR2 (introduced a LOT of great concepts to the show and after 1 my tendency is to overrate 2 but it really is a great season)
TAR8 (dwi if they only went even more international after Panama/Costa Rica I could honestly see it in my Top 3 ever + the finale was phenomenal)
TAR6 (would be equal to 8 and 2 if we had a much better endgame, the endgame of TAR6 has nothing on the glorious F7 of TAR8 and ditto with 8 not hitting 3/5 standards due to some really bad US legs.)

*slight gap*

TAR1 (Interesting to see how the show started but it got really boring at times. Perhaps recent editing of 2 and beyond spoiled me. Still solid though due to some amazing teams.)

*gap*
TAR4 (the early europe legs were so painful and aside from Kelly & Jon and Tian & Jaree no one rly shone)

*huge gap*
TAR7 (surprise! it sucks even more on rewatch and I don't love Romber on it as much as I used too and after Meredith & Gretchen were out I couldn't care less anymore :( )

Offline TheBayAreaGuy

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #381 on: June 19, 2016, 12:42:42 PM »
Nah...TAR6 is really painful on a rewatch, especially with Jonathan & Kendra lasting so deep in the race. Joe & Avi would've been a fun polarizing team. They were way too many couples on the season. It's for good reason that no team was picked for the real All-Stars (S11).

Finished rewatching TAR6 and wow it was still good or even better on rewatch. No TAR3/5 but it's still great.

Teams: Hayden & Aaron <33333333 What a top tier team omg and Adam & Rebecca + Lori & Bolo are iconic too (I can't believe it took me an entire rewatch to discover Hayden & Aaron's star power lol). It goes to show that drama can be fun while not losing the essence of the show. There are probably like multiple rivalries per episode and I was here for it :lol: <3 Also, Gus & Hera probably have one of the biggest morphs I have had on a team on rewatch. On first watch they were kinda eh but on rewatch, the minute Gus threw constant shade on Jonathan & Victoria and wanted to get drunk on the Detour I was absolutely here for it alol <3 Ditto with Don & Mary-Jean. Lena & Kristy's journey also sucks even more on rewatch because they really did have the potential to do well :/

The Final Three is also rly underwhelming on rewatch. I love Adam & Rebecca but meh on the two others. If anything, KKKendra's comments really didn't bother me that much on rewatch (since it's not like she dwelled on it the entire episode even though it was awful), but their win was just so underwhelming because aside from them at the Soup RB + "JONATHAN HELP HER!!!!!" + Freddy's Rail meltdown + Kendra getting knocked out by a bungee RB, they really weren't a dynamic team and it sucked they won. Same with Kris & Jon who are rly rly MORboring on rewatch and didn't really have a lot of standout eps.

Also Jonvic are probably even worse on rewatch. What despicable human beings. If they're not camwhoring and being attention-whores, they're so loud and unhealthy for each other. Jonathan is also probably the worst male racer on this show that isn't Justin or Dave. Victoria is also godawful because she can end up just like Jonathan at times.

Meredith & Maria + Avi & Joe are probably some of the most irrelevant first-boots of all time so thank god they were out early.

Episodes: Generally decent season but some legs were eh (the Premiere was so boring) and some were absolutely phenomenal (The Ethiopia leg is probably one of my favorite African legs EVER + the boot was so deliciously satisfying).

I'm also surprised the only task that they made a Switchback on TAR6 was the Haybale RB.

Some of the tasks like:
-The Hungary Soup RB
-The Skate Down a Mountain Detour in Norway (everyone falling down and switching :lol: <3)
-The Grape Stomp RB (it is never not fun watching multiple teams do the task and have everyone rushing to finish quick)
-The Ethiopia RB
-The Xi'An Lock RB (ok they basically did it on 21 but we need many many teams to be on that fence with preferable less locks so no one gets robbed like Hayden)

are very very good tasks (TAR6 excelling at RBs <3 There really was no RB I didn't like aside from the Sri Lanka and Finale RB tbh) and deserve to be brought back.

Overall: I've begun my journey to rewatch all seasons of The Amazing Race for quite some time now, and now that I've fully done TAR1-8 (rewatching 10 now because I hate 9 and will watch the awful ones last), I can rank the first 8 seasons of the golden era with some shifting in placements now!

Ranking:

TAR3=TAR5 (The temptation to put one over the other is too damn high but they are both the gold standards of the show)
TAR2 (introduced a LOT of great concepts to the show and after 1 my tendency is to overrate 2 but it really is a great season)
TAR8 (dwi if they only went even more international after Panama/Costa Rica I could honestly see it in my Top 3 ever + the finale was phenomenal)
TAR6 (would be equal to 8 and 2 if we had a much better endgame, the endgame of TAR6 has nothing on the glorious F7 of TAR8 and ditto with 8 not hitting 3/5 standards due to some really bad US legs.)

*slight gap*

TAR1 (Interesting to see how the show started but it got really boring at times. Perhaps recent editing of 2 and beyond spoiled me. Still solid though due to some amazing teams.)

*gap*
TAR4 (the early europe legs were so painful and aside from Kelly & Jon and Tian & Jaree no one rly shone)

*huge gap*
TAR7 (surprise! it sucks even more on rewatch and I don't love Romber on it as much as I used too and after Meredith & Gretchen were out I couldn't care less anymore :( )

Online gamerfan09

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Jemmett <3
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #382 on: June 19, 2016, 06:31:32 PM »
Nah...TAR6 is really painful on a rewatch, especially with Jonathan & Kendra lasting so deep in the race. Joe & Avi would've been a fun polarizing team. They were way too many couples on the season. It's for good reason that no team was picked for the real All-Stars (S11).

Kendra wasn't even that awful aside from her Africa comments... she was just either really boring or annoying.

And Jonathan & Victoria's consistently disgusting edit felt VERY VERY REWARDING with their elim.

Avi & Joe were so irrelevant lol, wtf @ them being potentially fun? All I remember is "New York Jews in Iceland" and then they went and got eliminated.

Also Kris & Jon were supposed to return but Eric & Danielle got cast instead apparently so yeah.

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Charla & Mirna's Hong Kong takeover
« Reply #383 on: June 21, 2016, 04:22:07 PM »

Kendra wasn't even that awful aside from her Africa comments... she was just either really boring or annoying.

And Jonathan & Victoria's consistently disgusting edit felt VERY VERY REWARDING with their elim.

Avi & Joe were so irrelevant lol, wtf @ them being potentially fun? All I remember is "New York Jews in Iceland" and then they went and got eliminated.

Also Kris & Jon were supposed to return but Eric & Danielle got cast instead apparently so yeah.
I think the most cringing part of that season apart from Jonathan & Victoria and Kendra's insensitive comments was the Budapest portion of leg 6. I don't think I have ever had a negative personal feeling about an episode until that aired. Easily one of the grossest episodes I have ever seen and scared me enough to avoid eating Hungarian food or any red soups (tomato soup :barf) because of that, not to mention the blood drinking Fast Forward.
<3 Family, friends, food, freedom... FULFILLED <3
----------------------------------------------------
TAR QUOTE OF THE MONTH July 2016
"Maybe we could get North Korea to watch out for the other teams and put them in time-out or something" ~Brook (of Brook & Claire from season 17, leg 11)

Online gamerfan09

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Jemmett <3
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #384 on: June 21, 2016, 06:39:00 PM »
The Hungary double-episode was actually one of the best of the season???

My Leg/Episode Rank would be:

Amazing:
1. Leg 8 (France → Ethiopia)
2. Leg 2 (Iceland → Norway)
3. Leg 6 (Germany → Hungary)
4. Leg 5 (Senegal → Germany)
5. Leg 10 (Sri Lanka → China) [TAR6 probably has some of my favorite China legs and idek why]
6. Leg 11 (China)

Great:
7. Leg 7 (Hungary → France) [Wine RB <3]
8. Leg 4 (Sweden → Senegal) [Liked the tasks but the fishing Detour was boring tbh]

Good:
9. Leg 9 (Ethiopia → Sri Lanka) [Swimming Pool and DT aside, the RB was so out of place and meh]

Meh:
10. Leg 3 (Norway → Sweden) [Hay Bales and Shots aside IKEA is not a good place to do a Detour in]

Bad:
11. Leg 1 (USA → Iceland)
12. Leg 12 (China → USA)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 06:45:55 PM by gamerfan09 »

Offline dryedmangoez

• RFF Frantic Poster
    • DryedMangoez.com
« Reply #385 on: June 21, 2016, 08:20:11 PM »
The Spicy Soup RB was absolutely disgusting, but also one of the most hilarious moments ever on TAR.
Most especially when Freddy vomited back into his soup and still had to eat it much to the horror of a crying Kendra.

Jonathan & Victoria are interesting. While the shoving is certainly, actually, disgusting, they would otherwise be a hilarious bickering couple.  They both dished out as much as they got.  Then you couple that with Jonathan being randomly nice to African kids and talking about the "President of Synagogue."  They'd be All-Star material if it weren't for that horrible moment at the Pit Stop. Oh well.

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Charla & Mirna's Hong Kong takeover
« Reply #386 on: June 22, 2016, 11:10:51 PM »
The Spicy Soup RB was absolutely disgusting, but also one of the most hilarious moments ever on TAR.
Most especially when Freddy vomited back into his soup and still had to eat it much to the horror of a crying Kendra.

Jonathan & Victoria are interesting. While the shoving is certainly, actually, disgusting, they would otherwise be a hilarious bickering couple.  They both dished out as much as they got.  Then you couple that with Jonathan being randomly nice to African kids and talking about the "President of Synagogue."  They'd be All-Star material if it weren't for that horrible moment at the Pit Stop. Oh well.
I have never had tomato soup or any soup of that color ever since. I nearly vomited when I saw that borscht Detour in season 13. And yeah, Jonathan & Victoria made for a roller coast ride, but I simply wasn't a fan of that ride. The shoving, the yelling at each other, and Victoria looking like Jonathan's monkey sidekick than wife - those were moments I wish I could un-see from that season.
<3 Family, friends, food, freedom... FULFILLED <3
----------------------------------------------------
TAR QUOTE OF THE MONTH July 2016
"Maybe we could get North Korea to watch out for the other teams and put them in time-out or something" ~Brook (of Brook & Claire from season 17, leg 11)

Custom Search