Author Topic: TAR 24: David O'Leary & Connor O'Leary (TAR 22) "Father/Son"  (Read 42578 times)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
TAR 24: David O'Leary & Connor O'Leary (TAR 22) "Father/Son"
« on: January 27, 2014, 10:20:39 AM »
Dave O’Leary and Connor O’Leary

Name: David O’Leary
Hometown: Salt Lake City, Utah
Previous Seasons: Season 22
Current occupation: Real estate investor
Describe what you do: Own and operate apartment buildings
Biggest mistake you made in your previous season: By not reading a clue completely, we had to go back to retrieve our dive gear bag, which made us lose precious time. While running to the mat, I ruptured my Achilles tendon and tore my calf muscle.
Most memorable moment from your first Race: Winning the fourth leg in Bali while on crutches.
Favorite place you visited on your first season: Bali
Why do you want to run the Race again? Really wanted to see how far we could go without an injury - could we get further than we did while on crutches?
How have you changed since the last time you competed? Running with a surgically repaired Achilles and recovering calf muscle, and maybe a little more prepared in terms of having an idea what to expect. Also a year older, which at my age can be significant.
What are you passionate about? My family, faith, cycling, outdoors and travel.
People would be surprised to learn: That I have five children (Connor is the youngest and the only boy) and that I have seven grandchildren.
Biggest challenge you and your teammate will face on The Race together: Communication. We are both strong willed and think we are right most of the time. We will need to try and work together when we both think we need to be going somewhere else, or doing something different.
Pet peeve about your teammate: He can be kind of messy. He will not worry as much as I do about what is coming and what we need to do to be prepared.
What country and place would you most like to visit and why? I would like to visit Myanmar as I understand it has not yet been Westernized with American and international businesses such as McDonalds, etc.
What do you hope to accomplish by running The Race (other than winning one million bucks)? Hope to prove to myself that I could make it further than we did in the prior season and that we can compete against some of the most experienced teams ever on the Race.
Any strategic changes you will make heading into this Race: My objective is to never be last on any leg and be first on the last leg. We need to slow down and think about what we are going to do before we rush off without understanding exactly what we need to do. NOT RUPTURE ANYTHING.  

Name: Connor O’Leary
Hometown: Salt Lake City, Utah
Previous Seasons: Season 22
Current occupation: Student and professional cyclist
Describe what you do: I race bicycles, and I am a senior at the University of Utah.
Biggest mistake you made in your previous season: We made a lot of mistakes the first time around, but the one that stands out is definitely when we forgot our dive bags on the second leg. It forced us to waste a lot of energy, and may have cost us my dad’s torn Achilles.
Most memorable moment from your first Race: Jumping out of a helicopter in Bora Bora on the first leg. Does it get any better, or more memorable than that?
Favorite place you visited on your first season: My favorite place we went last season was definitely Indonesia. It was such an awesome place, and we had the opportunity to be immersed in the culture. It was amazing.
Why do you want to run the Race again? Our Race was cut short last time. My dad had an injury that required us to withdraw, and to have this second chance is amazing. I want to show what a father and son can do.
How have you changed since the last time you competed? I personally haven’t changed much since we last competed. It was only a year ago, so I am a year older, but most importantly, my dad is healthy, and hopefully we can compete this time around without any injuries.
What are you passionate about? I am passionate about my family, friends, the outdoors and my religion.
People would be surprised to learn: I love to cook. I would love to open up a little café or juice bar/salad shop.
Biggest challenge you and your teammate will face on The Race together: We are both extremely hard-headed, and both think we are right all the time… we are both usually wrong.
Pet peeve about your teammate: When he flosses his teeth (which is about 10x a day), and when he chews.
What country and place would you most like to visit and why? I would love to go to either China or India. They are two places I have never been. They both have such rich customs, cultures and traditions, and it would be amazing to see.
What do you hope to accomplish by running The Race (other than winning one million bucks)? To have an amazing experience with my Dad. He isn’t getting any younger, and our chances to do something like the Race are getting smaller. Just having the opportunity to spend this time with my dad is worth more than a million dollars.
Any strategic changes you will make heading into this Race: We really need to focus on slowing down and reading our clues. I also want to try and keep my old man in one piece, which is the primary goal, and has proven to be tough. 

« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 07:04:33 AM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Re: TAR 24: David O'Leary & Connor O'Leary (TAR 22) Father/Son
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 10:20:53 AM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/KeB9kToObPQ" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/KeB9kToObPQ</a>
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 11:09:47 AM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 12:02:08 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ewua2Jdr0yA" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/Ewua2Jdr0yA</a>/
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Air

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • oh you speak french? oh man that's deep
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 07:31:00 PM »
I fear for their edit this season, I mean if they got such a big presence on TAR22, ugh.

Offline couchracer

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2014, 10:03:53 PM »
I really like this team. Maybe a first parent/child win?

Offline gamerfan09

• HOST: Design Challenge 8
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2014, 03:40:31 AM »
I fear for their edit this season, I mean if they got such a big presence on TAR22, ugh.

Expect a crying Dave every minute while they Race. :res:

I didn't like them in TAR 22 and I don't expect to like them any better now.

Offline Ryan

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I can climb a damn tree.
Re: TAR 24: David O'Leary & Connor O'Leary (TAR 22) "Father/Son"
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2014, 11:20:42 AM »
I think it's really heart warming that he gets so choked up. I mean c'mon, if you and your son both had cancer, you both survived it, ran the Amazing Race, won 1st place on 2 legs, AND your kid says "I'd rather finish 8th with my dad than win a million bucks with any other team", you'd be sobbing your pants off too! He doesn't strike me as the cry for media attention type, though even if he was, this is the kind of team really deserving of being on the race with a great opportunity to win, not a team that was placed by production for entertainment as past reality stars or models.

I would love to see the first parent/child team win - I have doubts that it'll be them or Margie/Luke, though...even if Dave recovered, he's still going to be overly cautious with his Achilles. Hopefully they do get some good edits and some good results. S22 <3
SNEAKY SNEAKY

Offline Vitoko

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • IQUIQUE - TAR23 LEG1
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2014, 01:33:30 PM »
I like this guys, hopefully they are gonna get away from the Cancer edit that they got last time, and not focus too much on how they left the race last time... Hopefully will see them put the past in the past and focus on how they are racing in this new season. Early rooting just because I would love to see a Father/Son team to win :D

Also is it Connor or Conner?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 01:46:39 PM by Vitoko »

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2014, 12:16:20 PM »
As long as they don't get a cancer-related confession EVERY SINGLE WEEK, I'll root for them.

TARP_Lover

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2014, 11:09:36 PM »
As long as they don't get a cancer-related confession EVERY SINGLE WEEK, I'll root for them.

We're totally gonna get "The Dave & Connor Show" :res:

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "For old time's sake..."
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2014, 04:39:05 PM »
Glad to see them back. Unfortunately, they may be the only team I can say that about.
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline Jimmer

• Big Brother Sho2 Updater
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2014, 10:20:24 PM »

Or my ruptured Achilles tendon story every week as a sob story.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2014, 04:50:50 AM »

Or my ruptured Achilles tendon story every week as a sob story.

Just remember--How they are edited by WRP has nothing to do with them as people. That is their storyline. It will def come into play. But hopefully WRP will show us a little more this time.
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline stekay

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2014, 06:55:46 AM »
I honestly don't mind what card they want to play with this team. Both are cancer survivors, both inspirations to people in America, but also those further afield who watch. Their last race was cut short, and out of all the returning teams they have the best story, and the best reasons to be back. I hope they go far.

Offline Ryan

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2014, 09:18:26 AM »
Just remember--How they are edited by WRP has nothing to do with them as people. That is their storyline. It will def come into play. But hopefully WRP will show us a little more this time.

I honestly don't mind what card they want to play with this team. Both are cancer survivors, both inspirations to people in America, but also those further afield who watch. Their last race was cut short, and out of all the returning teams they have the best story, and the best reasons to be back. I hope they go far.

:trampb: They definitely deserve a second shot, we obviously wanna know more about both of them as individuals and look past why they got onto the show. Here's hoping they have a healthy, good run.
SNEAKY SNEAKY

Offline NMC

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Formally nmccarroll91 🇮🇪
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2014, 01:39:29 PM »

^ This!  :conf:
.... The World is Waiting! ....

Offline Mister RC

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Nothing is more valid than my avatar. JMO
    • Follow Me Please!
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2014, 10:43:23 PM »
Yeah, as mentioned, it was the editing and less about who they really are in terms of their sob story.  The fact that they managed to win several times over teams like Bates/Anthony and Max/Katie prior to their exit shows that they really might be a threat.  I don't think they would have won regardless of their injury in Season 22, but the case was made in that season.  I'm hoping that they can really show the viewers what they're all about this time, because their lives outside the race seem interesting enough IMO.
Every reality star is someone's favorite

Winning isn't everything, but it isn't considered nothing either. Otherwise, there wouldn't be a tribal council, a pit-stop, a boardroom, dimming of the lights, and so on

Offline Quốc Nghĩa

• RFF Sr. Member
  • #neverstopexploring
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2014, 12:34:41 AM »
Connor's hair is so beautiful.
I  try to grow my hair like him but it looks like a mess. :))

« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 12:41:51 AM by QuocNghia »

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2014, 04:09:38 PM »
I'm glad they are doing so well! They're confirming that they are indeed a strong team.
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline Ryan

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2014, 06:55:25 PM »
I'm glad they are doing so well! They're confirming that they are indeed a strong team.

Agreed. I never mind that they mention the achilles or cancer things. If I survived all those things, I'd brag all the time! Gift of life, keep it up - here's hoping for that parent/child win for the record books.
SNEAKY SNEAKY

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2014, 10:13:58 PM »
I think Connor just did a TED talk...if anyone finds it, please post it here!
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2014, 12:58:59 AM »
I think Connor just did a TED talk...if anyone finds it, please post it here!

It was TEDxUIUC. This is its Facebook page. There is a post about the talks with Connor's name that includes links to videos; however, the videos appear to have been taken down... :(

Offline gamerfan09

• HOST: Design Challenge 8
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2014, 07:46:29 PM »
I can't believe I'm saying this, but I hate these two even more than the Cowboys. They just expected Rachel to just help them find the clue and people to let them come ahead of them (Leg 6 With J/J footrace). And (as a quote from another website) No Dave, Connor is not the most capable person in the Race.

Offline NMC

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Formally nmccarroll91 🇮🇪
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2014, 08:42:44 AM »
I can't believe I'm saying this, but I hate these two even more than the Cowboys. They just expected Rachel to just help them find the clue and people to let them come ahead of them (Leg 6 With J/J footrace). And (as a quote from another website) No Dave, Connor is not the most capable person in the Race.

I don't think that's entirely true, because they did let CaroJen step on the mat first. 
If they wanted to come ahead of everyone they would've taken CaroJen's help and then ran on to finish ahead of them.
.... The World is Waiting! ....

Offline Marionete

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • The sky's more blue
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2014, 01:39:55 PM »
I do agree that the CaroJen incident was nice and unexpected, but the way they complained about JJ beating them was so lol.... I mean I get cowboys could be bitter over their footrace lose OF FIRST PLACE, but seriously, what's the difference between 3rd and 4th?..

I think it's all edit that's making me dislike these two. I don't hate them, and I certainly didn't in TAR22, but I just find them (= their edit) so annoying. But it's the producers and editors that decide "hey, let's make them talk about their injuries (or cancer in TAR22) every episode"... But really they're just normal people, and, I believe, really nice in person.