Author Topic: From TAR to Another Reality Show?  (Read 5192 times)

Offline Ryan

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I can climb a damn tree.
From TAR to Another Reality Show?
« on: January 20, 2014, 10:03:42 PM »
Hey All!

Didn't see a standard introduction/welcoming area like I've seen on forums I used to frequent, but thought I'd say hello as a new member!  :waves:

I'm Ryan, huge Amazing Race fan - just got into it this past August and was so hooked I had to watch pretty much every season back to back (just completed season 23.) Accidentally saw the suspected S24 teams for All-Stars, but avoiding spoilers completely to see anything else. I love the suspense and am really excited for a ton of the returning folks!

Anyway, on to my question for this topic...don't know if this has been posed on the forum before, but has any Amazing Race alumnus gone on to another reality show or some high-profile contest atmosphere without having been on one prior? It seems like while some have come over from Survivor and Big Brother, or have come from gimmick-y placements like "former Miss America/Miss (insert state)," it doesn't seem like too many have been on things after that. Or at least, I've never heard of it happening - maybe you lovely TAR fanatics can enlighten me!  ???
SNEAKY SNEAKY

Offline Air

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • oh you speak french? oh man that's deep
Re: From TAR to Another Reality Show?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 10:19:47 PM »
I've always found that weird about TAR people, that compared to the other Big 3 RTV shows, they don't cross over much and I think this is because that just because you're good at TAR doesn't mean you're good at Survivor or BB, because they're more social than TAR is. But people cross over from Survivor/BB because you can be a challenge beast there and therefore do well at TAR.

Offline theamazingracer21

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2014, 12:35:33 AM »
I would think that TARers don't cross over because most of (if not all of) the time, the contestants are remembered as a duo and if you bring back only one it would feel weird and if you have both then they have a pre-arranged alliance. So unless it's a season where the all of the contestants have a pre-arranged alliance or are a part of a secret duo (like Blood vs Water on the recent season of Survivor) the odds of seeing a TARer on the other CBS shows are unlikely.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 06:35:32 AM by theamazingracer21 »

Offline Air

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2014, 12:39:28 AM »
I disagree with 'they're seen as a duo' because of people like Marie, Charla and Mirna are both viewed as seperate people imo, Rachel Reilly, Mallory etc.

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2014, 06:34:35 AM »
I disagree with 'they're seen as a duo' because of people like Marie, Charla and Mirna are both viewed as seperate people imo, Rachel Reilly, Mallory etc.
Rachel doesn't count because she crossed over from BB. Charla and Mirna is a case of can't have one without the other (Although they are awesome). I guess Marie and Mallory are the rare exceptions to the "Seen as a team rule".

Offline Air

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2014, 06:52:14 AM »
Charla & Mirna are very seperate characters to each other, different to Dustin & Kandice and Oswald & Danny to name a few. You can actively seperate Charla from Mirna and their dynamics still exist without each other-

(Charla being strong, listening to others, and Mirna shrieking a lot and generally being overbearing)

And Rachel and Brendon were basically viewed as a couple for their entire BB career so she does count kinda. Also I think that even others (specifically people that actually went well on TAR) still would be seen as seperate 'people' on survivor, for instance Dustin & Kandice have nearly identical personalities, same with Nicky & Kim, the Twinnies, the Chas, etc etc etc so there is no NEED to differentiate on TAR or Survivor because they'd still deliver.

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2014, 10:27:45 AM »
Charla, Mirna, Chip and Kim went on to some battle of the reality stars thing after their race (Forget what it's called)

Sarah from TAR10 made a commercial for a car :Y
Come check out the Reality Fan Wiki! The LARGEST Amazing Race database on the internet!!! (probably)
--Got something you're curious about? You'll probably find the answer on the Wiki!

Offline Ryan

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2014, 05:31:54 PM »
I think that's a valid point, some teams certainly are only really good as a couple - though I would absolutely watch another show if Oswald was a contestant, same with Brooke from Brooke and Claire (though she was a former Miss-something as well - I had no idea until I started googling past contestants. I still love her though  :conf:)

Can you imagine Jonathan from Jon/Victoria on another show? He's the kind of guy I'd like to see get torn to shreds on something like Shark Tank for a lousy business idea, haha.

And I agree, Mirna could make waves somewhere on her own, Charla I'd love to see a talk show or something from, her language skills were fantastic in their first season.
SNEAKY SNEAKY

Offline stekay

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2014, 05:36:30 PM »
I read somewhere that Kent/Kynt applied for an unknown season of Survivor.

Offline Ryan

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2014, 05:39:15 PM »

I just saw that last night, actually. According to some interview with one of the '06-'08 producers of the show, she interviewed Kynt for Survivor, and he almost made it, but not quite. Then when she saw his application video for TAR, it "made sense to pair him with another goth" as it was a niche they hadn't shown yet.
SNEAKY SNEAKY

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2014, 07:05:58 PM »
They also applied for TARA after their time on TAR12.
FB: In the Racers Revealed program, Kynt & Vxysin from TAR12 were seen. Was that an actual audition tape? Did they want to be in TARA? And what would have happened if you chose them for TARA?

MM: Yes, it was Kynt & Vxysin and they really did apply. They were very keen to be involved but we felt it would be unfair to have a team that had already raced (and raced very well I might add) and also we take teams from Asia. But if we do an All Star version down the track you never know.
Source: http://fangsbites.com/2008/09/interview-with-the-amazing-race-asia-executive-producer-michael-mckay/

Offline Air

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2014, 11:41:09 PM »
Can you imagine Jonathan from Jon/Victoria on another show? He's the kind of guy I'd like to see get torn to shreds on something like Shark Tank for a lousy business idea, haha.

He was on Fear Factor with Victoria and Victoria attacked Fairplay from Survivor and Jonathan attacked the host Joe Rogan and now they're probably blacklisted.

Offline Best Loser

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2014, 03:17:12 AM »
Jonathan actually originally applied for Survivor but was cast on TAR.

Let's see, racers who later appeared on reality shows...
Kevin & Drew had a show on Discovery I think it was, and Jet & Cord were on an episode -before they were on TAR!
Either Brian or Greg was on Fear Factor and threw a fit, but that might have been before they raced.
Stassi Schroeder from the Family Edition was later on some show called Queen Bees, then recently Vanderpump Rules
One of Brook or Claire was on some Shopping Hosts reality show (NOT the competition type of reality show)
Connor & Jonathan apparently recently were on an episode of The X Factor or The Voice or something.
Josh & Brent, of course, with Beekman Boys
Travis & Nicole were on some episodes of Untold Stories of the ER, but that kind of stretches the definition of reality show, not to mention this was before they raced.

This is all extremely vague but it might serve as a sort of base. So yeah, not many in reality competition shows, even fewer in shows anyone has heard of, and nobody who later appeared in a CBS reality show. Unless you count Jordan & Jeff who went on BB again after being on TAR. And then I'm not even going to bother mentioning what shenanigans Rob has been up to.

Offline Ryan

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2014, 10:55:37 AM »

He was on Fear Factor with Victoria and Victoria attacked Fairplay from Survivor and Jonathan attacked the host Joe Rogan and now they're probably blacklisted.

Oh wowwww, just watched that youtube clip - figures they'd continue to be total idiots. It's so strange how they act like that in front of other people, but Victoria was never "in danger" or anything...she's just like him, so I guess violence and loud is just their theme. :X
SNEAKY SNEAKY

Offline couchracer

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2014, 03:04:40 PM »
Mallory was on some show about oil discovery. I read it somewhere on this site. Sarah from S10 was on some recent weather channel program.