December 19, 2014, 01:09:13 AM

Author Topic: CBS says ‘no’ to smarter, older contestants on reality TV shows  (Read 922 times)

Offline walkingpneumonia

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
CBS says ‘no’ to smarter, older contestants on reality TV shows
I guess this means I won't be on any CBS shows anytime soon...

Interesting comments from Nina Tassler captured by Globe and Mail reporter John Doyle.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/arts/television/cbs-says-no-to-smarter-older-contestants-on-reality-tv-shows/article16350764/

This led one TV critic to make a simple suggestion – search out “smarter or older contestants next season.” Tassler didn’t say no, but obviously didn’t like the idea. “I think you always try to look for a disparate group, where you will have conflict, alliances will form. It’s not a science. You go into every season hoping you make the right choices, but sometimes the way they behave in a one-on-one interview is very, very different, and that’s why people watch the show.”

That means “no” and it means “smarter or older” contestants are not the recipe for more viewers watching the show. That knowledge, one supposes, is how CBS got to be number one.
From there to here, and here to there,
funny things are everywhere

Offline SteKay

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • King Keith
Re: CBS says ‘no’ to smarter, older contestants on reality TV shows
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 05:45:46 PM »
Do they actually forget teams like Fran & Barry, Meredith & Gretchen, Bill & Cathi all made the final 5? Mel & Mike season 14 who would've went much further? Or the older middle aged teams like Ken & Tina and Ian & Teri who both won legs and nearly went all the way?

Those types of teams also make for fan favourites. I really don't get why they would be seen as incapable of running the race.
Hope

Offline theamazingracer21

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • #toomanycooks
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 05:53:19 PM »
Could this be considered discrimination and can CBS get sued for this.
Survivor SJDS: Twinies #twin4win
TAR25: Everyone :) Yay for 4 team finale
Also playing SurvivorK Cagayan as John Cody (Final 6)

Online gamerfan09

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • #SweetScientists <3
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 06:35:50 PM »
If this is the reason why Bill & Cathi aren't on TAR 24.......

:groan: :groan: :groan: :groan: :groan: :groan: :groan: :groan: :groan: :groan:
"Knowing what it feels like
Now I'm on the Outside...."

Ellie Goulding <3

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2014, 08:54:08 PM »
I think those comments were regarding BB. I would say Dave fits the older smarter category for TAR...:tup:
"Our fans are pretty good. They don't give away too much. Sometimes people love dropping spoilers, but our fans are good. They tend to do it in such a way that doesn't ruin it for fans who don't want to know."--Phil Keoghan

Offline Jimmer

• Big Brother Sho2 Updater
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Natalie <3
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2014, 10:09:10 PM »
Yeah, very true. I don't think we have ever had a recent houseguest that was over 40 or 50

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • #BestSeasonsinceTAR14
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2014, 04:23:09 AM »
Would be weird if they put an old contestant on BB amongst other young ones as well.. they don't stand a chance of winning? Think Dick was the 'oldest' one I can remember. (sorry not a BB fan here)
We are all misfits living in a world on fire.

Offline theamazingracer21

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • #toomanycooks
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2014, 07:58:23 PM »
Yeah, very true. I don't think we have ever had a recent houseguest that was over 40 or 50
I did some quick research and I think the oldest they had on BB was a 75 year old (Jerry from BB10). He came 3rd and won 2 HoH and 2 PoV. So the oldies have just as good of a chance of winning as the young ones.
Survivor SJDS: Twinies #twin4win
TAR25: Everyone :) Yay for 4 team finale
Also playing SurvivorK Cagayan as John Cody (Final 6)

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Cookies with licorice, can't get better than this!
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2014, 04:36:27 PM »
I think there should be a Big Brother discussion section since this isn't really relevant towards TAR. We've seen a lot of smarter (ER doctors Nat & Kat, overachieving Cindy, Amy Diaz) and older (Chuck & Wynona, Bill & Cathi, Rowan & Shane) teams on the race.

Also, this is one of the reasons why I have lost interest in Big Brother altogether. The casting for BB these days are weak and NEEDS the older population to mix in more diversity. (There are also other reasons, but I'm not starting a page-long rant essay.) :tup:
<3 Family, friends, food, freedom... FULFILLED <3
----------------------------------------------------
TAR QUOTE OF THE MONTH December 2014
"Where do they come up with these sports?" ~Brooke (of Brooke & Robbie; season 25, leg 8)

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Formerly known as Platinum
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2014, 03:13:03 AM »
I wanna see another older couple soon. :( It'd be interesting to me to have a season with half of the cast being older (at least 50+). :)

Offline nmccarroll91

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2014, 01:17:44 PM »
I think this is one of the WORST things I've ever heard!  )-**

Some of my all time favourite teams are older couples, e.g Bill & Cathi, Fran & Barry, Bob & Joyce, Terri & Ian
Or teams with one half being older like Nick & Don, Ron & Christina, Mel & Mike, Steve & Allie.. I could go on and on.

I wouldn't really consider Chuck & Wynona an "older" team, as they're not over 50 - to my knowledge  ???  But I did love them too  :hearts:

It's always been amazing watching the older teams out wit, and finish ahead of younger, more athletic teams, there's no way CBS can take this away from us! Is there?  :(

..... The World is Waiting! .....

Custom Search