Author Topic: TAR LATINOAMERICA - Wishlist, hopes, dreams and future of the franchise.  (Read 13729 times)

Offline Vitoko

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • IQUIQUE - TAR23 LEG1
So I was thinking a few weeks ago, that we should have a topic like this were we could discuss what we want to see from the latin american brand of The Amazing Race, what changes could be done to make it a better version of what is is right now (because we know it has room for improvement), maybe discuss possible locations, challenges, maybe landmarks we would like to see in the show, pretty much everything concerning the future of TARLA.

In Example:

- Overnight Rest, I'd like to see it disappear, or make it less obvious, the teams are usually ask to sign their names in a hotel (check in) to spend the night and continue racing in the morning after... HOO has being a thing since The Amzing Race started and it has been accepted that all the teams need to wait for the available hour to recieve a clue or enter a building, but TARLA gets rid of that fair equilizer and just make the teams wait in line for their turn

- Signing board at Airports, I know this is a mechanic introduced in TARLA to make it easy for the production to travel and book flights cheaper that what individual teams could get, but I think there is a better way to do it, I think is production books just 2 flights, maybe 3 flights available for the teams, first come, first serve should apply here so everyone on the front would be in the first flight, then the rest in the next flight available, and so on. But the signing board where teams write their names and arrival time so the difference is respected between teams when they leave the airport should vanish from the franchise. It doesn't allow teams in the back to catch up, makes the first team never leave the front of the pack, it becomes boring and predictable.

About wishlist and routes...
I know that pretty much every time south and central america comes up in the original TAR wishlist thread should work for TARLA but I figure if we have all wishlist dedicated to TARLA it would be easier to archive or at least easier to read locations we would like to see, always remembering that TARLA will never get out of Latinoamerica and it doesn't have the money to go around freely like TARUSA, maybe if you can't think of an entire route, you can come up with cities or small areas that you would like to see being visited by the latinamerican brand, maybe with examples from the original or another world traveler version of TAR.

In Example (You probably can think of a far better route)

<Leg 1>   Caracas, Venezuela
<Leg 2>   Caracas, Venezuela -> Merida, Venezuela.
<Leg 3>   Merida, Venezuela -> Belem, Brazil.
<Leg 4>   Belem, Brazil -> Porto Alegre, Brazil.
<Leg 5>   Porto Alegre, Brazil -> Foz do Iguazu, Brazil -> Ciudad del Este, Paraguay.
<Leg 6>   Ciudad del Este, Paraguay -> Asuncion, Paraguay.
<Leg 7>   Asuncion, Paraguay -> Rosario, Argentina.
<Leg 8>   Rosario, Argentina -> San Carlos de Bariloche, Argentina
<Leg 9>   San Carlos de Bariloche, Argentina -> Puerto Montt, Chile (Including Puerto Varas).
<Leg 10> Puerto Montt, Chile -> Castro, Chile.
<Leg 11> Castro, Chile -> Iquique, Chile. (Including Humberstone and La Tirana)
<Leg 12> Iquique, Chile -> Santa Cruz de la Sierra, Bolivia (Finale A)
<Leg 13> Santa Cruz de la Sierra, Bolivia -> Cochabamba, Bolivia (Finale B)

I include Leg 12 and 13 because TARLA have the tendency to make two episodes, a.k.a. two Legs with the Final 3 teams...

So there's that, have fun with this and hopefully will have more versions of TARLA coming up in the future, and hopefully someone on production will read this and maybe get some ideas from the people that is actually watching the show.

Offline Best Loser

• RFF Frantic Poster
Re: TAR LATINOAMERICA - Wishlist, hopes, dreams and future of the franchise.
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2013, 12:34:04 AM »
I don't think there's anyone who thinks that they should keep the sign in sheets as is. Since this version stays in the same countries for multiple legs, I think keeping the airport one is fine how it is now, but they really should stop using one for hotels. The shop closes at 1600? Too bad, better camp out and wait for it to open.

Did they even have both sign in sheets in the first two seasons? I know that the airport one was used, but I don't remember this being such a problem until season 3. It's really odd how in the American version for a while people were complaining about the existence of artificial equalizers, but in this version it's the complete opposite where people complain about the existence of artificial NONequalizers.

Some things I'd like to see or see more of:
-Aside for season 3's premiere, the furthest south we've gone is Buenos Aires, so let's see some Patagonia or Tierra del Fuego. Even Puerto Montt as you suggested would satisfy me.
-Paraguay is overdue for a visit.
-Potosi
-Or just somewhere in Bolivia that isn't Lake Titicaca
-Similar to the above, someplace in the Amazon that isn't Manaus, or even if it is, someplace that isn't the same 4 locations.
-Visit some places with a unique culture, like anyplace with a strong indigenous presence or one of the European communities.

I have no idea how expensive any of those locations would be.

Really all I'm asking for are locations and tasks that show off the culture and scenery of Latin America. Carrying huge logs doesn't do either (yes, I'm still mad about that).

Offline Vitoko

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • IQUIQUE - TAR23 LEG1
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2013, 11:34:18 AM »
Some things I'd like to see or see more of:
-Aside for season 3's premiere, the furthest south we've gone is Buenos Aires, so let's see some Patagonia or Tierra del Fuego. Even Puerto Montt as you suggested would satisfy me.
-Paraguay is overdue for a visit.
-Potosi
-Or just somewhere in Bolivia that isn't Lake Titicaca
-Similar to the above, someplace in the Amazon that isn't Manaus, or even if it is, someplace that isn't the same 4 locations.
-Visit some places with a unique culture, like anyplace with a strong indigenous presence or one of the European communities.

Ushuaia, Rio Grande, Tierra del Fuego, Punta Arenas or Puerto Natales (Torres del Paine) could be the furthest south we could ever get and is totally possible to do it, there is airports down there and for what I know is a breathtaking scenery.

Another location that I think could be interesting would be Arequipa, Peru, I've been there and is beautiful and so full of architectonic landmarks...

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2013, 04:29:41 PM »
I want the practice of spending three legs in a single country to die.

Ever since TAR US has started, the race has never spent more than two legs in a single country. TARLA 3 was the first time an internationally-travelling race upped this to three...and they did it TWICE! (Argentina/Chile). I know they do travel from one part of the country to another, but it still drives me crazy because I'm like "Oh great. More Argentina. It's a good country, but could you go somewhere new?"
Come check out the Reality Fan Wiki! The LARGEST Amazing Race database on the internet!!! (probably)
--Got something you're curious about? You'll probably find the answer on the Wiki!

Offline Charlie90

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2013, 09:51:51 PM »
What are the chances of actually getting a sixth season?
I remember reading somewhere that Space was going to produce TARLA for three years (those being season 3,4 and 5).

So now that those three years are up, what's next? Is Discovery Channel picking it up once again? I hope so, they seemed to have a lil more budget than Space.

Nevermind, just found out that we're gonna have to wait till February of next year to know if TARLA is returning. Apparently the big wigs will decide the future of the show at some fair that is held annually in (i think) Argentina. So cross your fingers everyone.
If a different channel with a lil more budget picks it up then some good changes could be made, like following the american version rules more closely. And to update the Opening intro, which my God, i hate with passion. (I've always hated how the last team it's always featured right at the end of it, some people will know what i'm talking about).

I do hope it gets picked up again (even by Space), cause finally i would be able to send a submission tape. And since stunt casting it's a little bit more relaxed here than on the american version (putting aside some obvious exceptions...yes i´m looking at you Toya) i do think i have a good chance of getting in it. (They cast some very boring teams)

« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 10:06:28 PM by Charlie90 »

Offline GonzaloChileno

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2013, 10:05:04 PM »
I remember reading somewhere that Space was going to produce TARLA for three years (those being season 3,4 and 5).

So now that those three years are up, what's next? Is Discovery Channel picking it up once again? I hope so, they seemed to have a lil more budget than Space.

I really hope it gets picked up by another channel, i don't dislike Space seasons, but they seem a lot cheaper than the Discovery Channel ones. Anyways, if it does not get picked up by any other channel i won't be sad hahaha. There are plenty of awesome franchises in other countries.

I mean i hate that we got the cheap version of TAR, we Latin Americans deserve something WAY better!
Charla&MirnaLover<3

Offline Charlie90

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2013, 10:10:22 PM »

I really hope it gets picked up by another channel, i don't dislike Space seasons, but they seem a lot cheaper than the Discovery Channel ones. Anyways, if it does not get picked up by any other channel i won't be sad hahaha. There are plenty of awesome franchises in other countries.

I mean i hate that we got the cheap version of TAR, we Latin Americans deserve something WAY better!

Of course we do! Heck some countries from other continents would be awesome..but!....unfortunately, never gonna happen.
Ill be happy as long as they don't spend more than two legs at one country.Curacao was a nice surprise this season. Actually it was the highlight of it.

Offline GonzaloChileno

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2013, 10:20:48 PM »
Yeah, i loved the Curaçao leg, it was really cool!

So, here is my wishlist:
*More countries visted in each season (atleast 7)
*No more than two legs per country
*Visit new countries and new locations like Paraguay (way overdue in the Latin American version), Trinidad & Tobago, Suriname, Puerto Rico would be nice, Jamaica, Cuba (we don't have an embargo like Americans do), etc. Southern Chile is way overdue too, we have some nice places to visit.
*No more than two teams per country (we don't want another TARLA 2). Actually, it would be cool to have 11 teams from 11 countries.
*More Detours! (What happened with this season?? 17 Roadblocks and only 7 Detours!!!)
*Keep Toya! She brings the beauty to the show! Hahaha <3
*Real prizes!!! If you are going to be cheap with the route, atleast give some nice trips.
*Some teams are extremely boring (like the Colombian sisters in this season, they were extremely invisible), so having a better casting would be cool.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 10:27:05 PM by El Chileno (S.C) »
Charla&MirnaLover<3

Offline Alenaveda

• RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • R.F.F. Game Host A.A.R.G. 11
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2013, 11:08:49 PM »
I waited till the end of the season to say what I like to see.

1. No more countries! I repeat it again: the formula of not involving nationalities worked  in a good way in TAR Asia. Why couldn't do it here? It's useless to mantain this concept, that is unique for TARLA. They should notice what happened in the first two seasons where the clash between Argentinians and Brazilians teams reach a point of exacerbation that gave the impression of going to end in something worst than a verbal exchange.

2. Even with the love we have for her, it's time to say good-bye to the registration board at the airports permanently. Or at least in the second half of the season, when it becomes a key factor to not allow the backpack teams to jeopardize the leading of the teams ahead of them unless there's an HoO.

3. Regarding of this last point, I would love to see teams in the need of booking their own flights. This has been providing the best dramma to TAR for the last ten years. If we don't want to be remembered as the "cheaper", "minor", "easier" franchise, it's time to start doing things as the rest of the TAR world.

4. Talking about the TAR world, respect the rules! You can't be taken seriously if you twisted the rules as you want, not following the guidelines that were given to you. If a team loses one or both passport you can't let the members go to the consulate and get new ones the next day; you must give them the chance to retrieve and if they're not able to do it, eliminate them. The rest of the teams are not guilty of your own stupidity. Also be equal with the penalizations: or you follow the general rules or at least use a balance at the moment of apply them.

5. The nonsense of the RBs in this season - 17 -, with the first three legs with only them as tasks. Back to some old joke of mine: please somebody send production a mail with some of the legs created in Latin America by this forum's game hosts. They could learn something on designing legs that include both RB and Detours.

6. Stop with three legs in the same country, please! It wasn't good in TARLA3 and it wasn't either in this season. The beauty of TARLA1 resided - in this topic - in the good balance of the route, with only 2 legs for country and 1 in some of them.

7. Agree with most of my predecesors here: visit countries that haven't been used yet. And if you go to a place you already visited, go to a different area (i.e.: the Atlantic coast of Argentina - I dream of a leg showing the sightings of the whales in Puerto Madryn -). Also the prizes issue is something to correct. Give something good or don't give anything at all until the finish line.
"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains - however improbable - must be the truth." - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

"No person deserves your tears, and who deserves them will not make you cry." - Gabriel García Márquez

Offline Alenaveda

• RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2013, 07:40:09 AM »
One more thing. DON'T EVER DO WHAT THEY DID WITH THE LAST EPISODE: announcing that the final episode will be aired simultaneously by two different networks and then only broadcast it by the same one they've been doing it the whole season.
"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains - however improbable - must be the truth." - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

"No person deserves your tears, and who deserves them will not make you cry." - Gabriel García Márquez

Offline tarflyonthewall

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2013, 08:39:02 PM »
1. No more sign-up boards, unless it's for an actual first-come-first-served task. Actually, none at all, because those tasks are invariably boring.

2. Decide on a production company and stick with it. Having producers from a different country handle it every season just isn't working.

3. A better route. I don't think it's coincidental that the two most enjoyable legs in this version's history, IMO, are the Guatemala opening leg of season two and this year's Curacao leg. And it's not because they were good legs (far from it), but because they were unexpected locations. We're all tired of seeing multiple legs in Brazil and Argentina and Chile, and the "but people from there won't watch if we don't do it!" defeats the entire purpose of this show.

4. More Detours, fewer Road Blocks. Especially with the general low quality of this version's task design, and the sign-up board issue, teams need more of a chance to change their positions, and Detours accomplish that far better than Road Blocks.

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2013, 12:36:01 AM »
Think it would be neat to go to Spain for the penultimate leg?
Come check out the Reality Fan Wiki! The LARGEST Amazing Race database on the internet!!! (probably)
--Got something you're curious about? You'll probably find the answer on the Wiki!

Offline Alenaveda

• RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2013, 06:00:36 AM »
Going to Spain or Portugal would be great.  :cmas9

daeys

Some good ideas above. Here are my thoughts:

1. I would love to see teams booking their own flights, or as an alternative, have production book two or three different flights and teams get those on a first-come first-serve basis. The idea of everyone on the same flight is terrible.

2. I don't think the overnight rest will be eliminated. Some of these places you can't just wait on the street until they open, unless you want to lose all your possessions. They could make it less obvious, of course.

3. The tasks do need work. Some are extremely easy. Compared to (for example) The Amazing Race Canada, TARLA is too easy.

4. I agree about visiting more places they haven't visited before. I don't think they would visit dangerous places (El Salvador, Haiti) or French Guyana (EU visa) either. They won't visit Puerto Rico because all participants would need a US visa. I'd love to see them in Nicaragua, Guatemala, Belize, Uruguay, Paraguay. There's a lot left to see!
Of course, Space has to aim for their main audience and show off the countries where the network airs too. There's a fine balance to strike there, but it is possible to do a better job of showing off different locales.

5. I like the "representing a country" format. Again, they are thinking about their audience and we Latinamericans love rooting for our national teams. I would keep this but diversify the teams a bit. Contrary to the American version, the teams are sort of bland (or at least presented rather blandly, with no background about them). Rarely do we know their professions, whether they are athletes, etc. Other than the Colombian doctors and the Chilean Rugby players, and the Uruguayans who wanted a baby... what else do we know about the teams?

6. Toya looks better but Harris carried the show a lot better than Toya does.

Those are my thoughts!

Offline Declive

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2014, 11:22:03 PM »
Harris back and Discovery Channel back. PLEASE!

TARLA 1 was the best season i have watched in a long time.
100% commitment makes everything easy
99% commitment makes everything hard

Offline naejae91

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2014, 09:04:41 PM »
Wishlist:

1) I like the two person to host the show. Bring back Harris and keep Toya at the same time, I would like to see them host the show at the same time.
2) Move the show back to Discovery Channel and find more sponsor for more budget.
3) Go visit some place outside SA continent and race around the world if they have more budget to do. Maybe they can go Spain and Portugal or any countries and region that the local can speak Spanish & Portuguese (Philippines, Macau, East Timor, Mozambique, Equatorial Guinea etc.) to warm up the race around the world before going to non Spanish & Portuguese speaking countries.
4) Please remove the unnecessary sign in time bunching point.
5) Please give more freedom to the racers by book their plane ticket on their own, thus creating airport drama.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 09:10:30 PM by 91zycn »
TAR25/TAR29: Modern classic season.

Offline Alenaveda

• RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2014, 09:21:14 PM »
Wishlist:

1) I like the two person to host the show. Bring back Harris and keep Toya at the same time, I would like to see them host the show at the same time.
2) Move the show back to Discovery Channel and find more sponsor for more budget.
3) Go visit some place outside SA continent and race around the world if they have more budget to do. Maybe they can go Spain and Portugal or any countries and region that the local can speak Spanish & Portuguese (Philippines, Macau, East Timor, Mozambique, Equatorial Guinea etc.) to warm up the race around the world before going to non Spanish & Portuguese speaking countries.
4) Please remove the unnecessary sign in time bunching point.
5) Please give more freedom to the racers by book their plane ticket on their own, thus creating airport drama.

1) It's the same for me both hosting together or only one. Toya has grown up in  my consideration, despite the unnecesary presence of Jaime Arellano.
2) Yes, please! Or if you're going to stay on Space, please increase the budget and be more creative. (Again to the old joke of mine: come and see the Fantasy Game Board, maybe you can find a couple good ideas to apply to the design of the route).
3) Totally agree.
4) Yes, and the same goes to the airport board. If you want to bunch them, you can always use the same resources as TAR, picking card with times, etc.
5) Totally agree, because this also implies the farewell of the airport board and the sealed departing order after teams arrive to a new airport, what proved a lot of times to be useful only to eliminate the last team of the pack.

Offline naejae91

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2014, 12:19:39 AM »
Another Wishlist:

I WANT THE ELIMINATED TEAM SEND TO SEQUESTERVILLE AND GATHER ALL OF THEM AT THE FINISH LINE!!!!!! :pray:
TAR25/TAR29: Modern classic season.

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2014, 10:56:05 AM »
TARLA has too many extremely intense physical challenges that make it nearly impossible for one or more teams to continue.

We need to do away with these. Physical endurance is one thing, but asking a 40+ year old man to lift his own weight more than 10 feet up a rope is insanity.

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2015, 02:32:55 PM »
Well gee whiz, it's almost as if hosting an Ecuador-only race wasn't exactly the best idea...

No TARLA7 it looks like, at least not this year.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 04:14:27 AM by GB »

Offline Declive

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2015, 04:26:54 PM »
Shame. It wasn't good but at least we had a sequence...

Offline Declive

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2015, 04:27:15 PM »
Harris back and Discovery Channel back. PLEASE!

TARLA 1 was the best season i have watched in a long time.