Author Topic: TAR 23 EP 2 "Zip It Bingo" Santiago, Chile  (Read 35892 times)

Offline Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • R.F.F. Game Host A.A.R.G. 11
Re: TAR 23 EP 2 "Zip It Bingo" Santiago, Chile
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2013, 12:13:41 AM »
This is what happens when they don't read our spoilers board first :lol: .
"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains - however improbable - must be the truth." - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

"No person deserves your tears, and who deserves them will not make you cry." - Gabriel García Márquez

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2013, 12:16:34 AM »
I don't think we have ever had a mistake like this in the press releases before... Sure hope they won't be trying to portray this as being in Santiago!!  :ascared

RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Vitoko

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • IQUIQUE - TAR23 LEG1
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2013, 12:19:39 AM »
I don't think we have ever had a mistake like this in the press releases before... Sure hope they won't be trying to portray this as being in Santiago!!  :ascared

How? Teams riding their bike for 24 hours from Iquique to Santiago to get in to a Salt Mine?  :funny:

Offline walkingpneumonia

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Administrator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2013, 05:07:29 PM »
Bunch of press photos released yesterday - I only have the thumbnails - but they show us the name of the detour selections - "Brining" or "Mining"
They also have the exif info intact - I'll put them in chronological order when I get a chance...

Caption/Description: "Zip It, Bingo" -- Married ER Doctors Travis (left) and Nicole (right) must zip line over the Maipo River in San Alfonso, Chile in order to reach the Pit Stop on THE AMAZING RACE, Sunday Oct 6 (8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network. Photo: Robert Voets/CBS ©2013 CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Caption/Description: "Zip It, Bingo" -- Childhood Friends Adam (left) and Brandon (right) must zip line over the Maipo River in San Alfonso, Chile in order to reach the Pit Stop on THE AMAZING RACE, Sunday Oct 6 (8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network. Photo: Robert Voets/CBS ©2013 CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Caption/Description: "Zip It, Bingo" -- Cousins Jamal (left) and Leo (right) must zip line over the Maipo River in San Alfonso, Chile in order to reach the Pit Stop on THE AMAZING RACE, Sunday Oct 6 (8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network. Photo: Robert Voets/CBS ©2013 CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Caption/Description: "Zip It, Bingo" -- In this Road Block, Adam (left) and Chester (right) must find a marked Lustrabotas stand and perform a shoeshine in the streets of Santiago, Chile on THE AMAZING RACE, Sunday Oct 6 (8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network. Photo: Robert Voets/CBS ©2013 CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Caption/Description: "Zip It, Bingo" -- In this Road Block, Amy must find a marked Lustrabotas stand and perform a shoeshine in the streets of Santiago, Chile on THE AMAZING RACE, Sunday Oct 6 (8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network. Photo: Robert Voets/CBS ©2013 CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Caption/Description: "Zip It, Bingo" -- In this Road Block, Leo must find a marked Lustrabotas stand and perform a shoeshine in the streets of Santiago, Chile on THE AMAZING RACE, Sunday Oct 6 (8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network. Photo: Robert Voets/CBS ©2013 CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Caption/Description: "Zip It, Bingo" -- In this Road Block, Nicole must find a marked Lustrabotas stand and perform a shoeshine in the streets of Santiago, Chile on THE AMAZING RACE, Sunday Oct 6 (8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network. Photo: Robert Voets/CBS ©2013 CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Caption/Description: "Zip It, Bingo"-- In Detour A, Dating couple Amy (left) and Jason (right) must add salt to a pool of fresh water until they can float well enough to read a newspaper in order to receive the next clue on THE AMAZING RACE, Sunday Oct 6 (8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network. Photo: Robert Voets/CBS √?¬©2013 CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Caption/Description: "Zip It, Bingo"-- In Detour B, Former Football Teammates Chester (left) and Ephraim (right) must find their next clue hidden in boulders of salt at the Irlanda mine in Chile on THE AMAZING RACE, Sunday Oct 6 (8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network. Photo: Robert Voets/CBS ©2013 CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Caption/Description: "Zip It, Bingo"-- In Detour B, Cousins Leo (left) and Jamal (right) must find their next clue hidden in boulders of salt at the Irlanda mine in Chile on THE AMAZING RACE, Sunday Oct 6 (8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network. Photo: Robert Voets/CBS ©2013 CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Caption/Description: "Zip It, Bingo"-- Former Football Teammates Chester (left) and Ephraim (left) must cycle to the Irlanda mine in Chile where they will have to choose between Detours "Brining" or "Mining" on THE AMAZING RACE, Sunday Oct 6 (8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network. Photo: Robert Voets/CBS ©2013 CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Caption/Description: "Zip It, Bingo"-- Cousins Leo and Jamal (behind) and LA Kings Ice Crew Ally and Ashley (front) must cycle to the Irlanda mine in Chile where they will have to choose between Detours "Brining" or "Mining" on THE AMAZING RACE, Sunday Oct 6 (8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network. Photo: Robert Voets/CBS ©2013 CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Caption/Description: "Zip It, Bingo"-- Childhood friends Brandon (left) and Adam (right) must cycle to the Irlanda mine in Chile where they will have to choose between Detours "Brining" or "Mining" on THE AMAZING RACE, Sunday Oct 6 (8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network. Photo: Robert Voets/CBS ©2013 CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 05:21:55 PM by walkingpneumonia »
From there to here, and here to there,
funny things are everywhere

Offline Vitoko

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • IQUIQUE - TAR23 LEG1
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2013, 07:56:24 PM »
[/URL]
Caption/Description: "Zip It, Bingo" -- In this Road Block, Amy must find a marked Lustrabotas stand and perform a shoeshine in the streets of Santiago, Chile on THE AMAZING RACE, Sunday Oct 6 (8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network. Photo: Robert Voets/CBS ©2013 CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved.

That pretty much confirm the location of the Roadblock to be "Paseo Ahumada". A pedestrian street right next to "Plaza de Armas" As a side note IIRC that street is FULL with shoe stores for some odd reason.

The "Lustrabotas stand" is the thing Amy is carrying behind her BTW.

Offline stekay

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2013, 07:59:43 PM »
New promos show that team Bingo are 'desperate' and that the Afghanimals have hit rock bottom and are bickering  :'(

Offline Candi Lee2

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2013, 08:31:40 PM »
New promos show that team Bingo are 'desperate' and that the Afghanimals have hit rock bottom and are bickering  :'(
Ya'll are amazing  :hearts: ..
hope you don't mind if I attach some screencaps

Offline Candi Lee2

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2013, 08:33:32 PM »
 :waves:

the new amazing race has just begun
while traveling thru chile ex nfl teammates are free wheeling guys
" this is way better than having to run!"
the theater performers are desperate
*begging* "my heart my life .. please sir! "
the afghan cousins have already hit rock bottom
Jamal "take some responsibility
Leo "am i your enemy or your partner?"
Jamal " right now your my enemy
Phil " that's not gonna work"
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 08:42:58 PM by Candi Lee »

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "For old time's sake..."
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2013, 09:43:35 PM »
Wow. The breakdown of Leo & Jamal could be very Tammy & Victor-esque in terms of their storyline throughout the rest of the Race.
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline stekay

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2013, 03:41:19 AM »
Hmm the check in so the must be near the bottom of the pack! Could it potentially be an NEL. Maybe, Idk.
Let's hope for a super episode  :hearts:

Offline cattychic

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2013, 08:59:45 AM »
Didn't we see team Duck dynasty doing the salt bath too in one of the promo video's , unless i'm mistaken , maybe they had to switch detours.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2013, 04:13:59 PM »
Thanks WP and Candi Lee!!

The promo for the above caps is now up in post 2!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline gator27

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2013, 04:59:26 PM »
Just an observation about the Brining Detour (must add salt to a pool of fresh water until they can float well enough to read a newspaper in order to receive the next clue on THE AMAZING RACE). It seems those with the body type better suited to floating chose the Mining Detour.  Better for us viewers, but maybe not the best race strategy.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2013, 05:08:25 PM »
I would have rocked this. Who needs salt, lol? I think I floated for 2 hours once in a lifeguard challenge.

:swim

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Vitoko

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • IQUIQUE - TAR23 LEG1
« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2013, 05:11:26 PM »
I really don't understand the newspaper part of the task...   :crazy:

Also that's why I waited for the video, Rowan in the pic seems to be arguing but in the video he is begging...

Also I kinda like watching Leo&Jamal arguing with each other they seemed to friendly almost fake, but this will change they way they are gonna race.

Leo probably lost something, I can imagine Jamal blaming him for one of the challenges.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 05:15:49 PM by Vitoko »

Offline David

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Queen <3
« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2013, 05:24:39 PM »

In the Dead Sea in Israel, saltiest sea on Earth, it is common to be floating so much that people can read a newspaper without geting the paper wet. I think it should be something similar. There are images for sure in google images about that. ;)

Offline Vitoko

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • IQUIQUE - TAR23 LEG1
« Reply #41 on: October 03, 2013, 05:32:16 PM »

In the Dead Sea in Israel, saltiest sea on Earth, it is common to be floating so much that people can read a newspaper without geting the paper wet. I think it should be something similar. There are images for sure in google images about that. ;)

oooh thank you I totally forgot about that, I think is possible in the salt lake close to San Pedro de Atacama too, but don't quote me on that.

Offline stekay

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #42 on: October 03, 2013, 05:54:05 PM »
I have the buoyancy to float automatically  :funny:

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #43 on: October 03, 2013, 07:50:18 PM »
Based on this bit of information provided by Vitoko:

Route Info: "Irland 3 Salt Mine"
Teams took taxis from the museum to "Kilometro 21" (they might call it differently) from where they grabbed a bike and ride it to the abbandoned Irland 3 Salt mine, they were followed by a 4x4 pickup truck with camera and sound crew.

and this picture of Team Bingo riding the bikes:

I was able to find a likely location for the Detour.  The solar altitude indicated by the nose shadow says it is about 9:30 am.  At that time the sun was shining from azimuth 74.5 degrees.  Sincre the  sun is exactly at his left we know the roadway that he  is riding on is pointed with azimuth 74.5 + 90 = 164.5 degrees.   That helps to find the right stretch of roadway.  Looking within one taxi ride from Iquique I found a road with exactly that angle!  It's the A-750 south of and inland from town.

Here is Kilometro 21 in Streetview:  https://maps.google.com/maps?q=iquique+chile&ie=UTF8&ll=-20.856135,-70.062894&spn=0.013324,0.02223&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&hnear=Iquique,+Iquique+Province,+Tarapac%C3%A1+Region,+Chile&gl=us&t=h&z=17&layer=c&cbll=-20.856344,-70.062804&panoid=nL69pbWda0nPElFGtW4HlA&cbp=12,203.84,,0,16.68

From Kilometro 21 it is a 3.6 km ride to an abandoned salt mine.  Thanks to Vitoko, I believe this is the location of the Ireland 3 Salt Mine and our Detour.   :conf:
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 07:53:55 PM by Chateau d If »
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline stekay

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #44 on: October 03, 2013, 08:12:56 PM »
That's a good stretch of a cycle after a 24h bus journey.

Offline Vitoko

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • IQUIQUE - TAR23 LEG1
« Reply #45 on: October 03, 2013, 09:04:53 PM »
That's a good stretch of a cycle after a 24h bus journey.

You got it backwards. Detour before bus ride to Santiago.

Based on this bit of information provided by Vitoko:

Route Info: "Irland 3 Salt Mine"
Teams took taxis from the museum to "Kilometro 21" (they might call it differently) from where they grabbed a bike and ride it to the abbandoned Irland 3 Salt mine, they were followed by a 4x4 pickup truck with camera and sound crew.

and this picture of Team Bingo riding the bikes:

I was able to find a likely location for the Detour. The solar altitude indicated by the nose shadow says it is about 9:30 am.  At that time the sun was shining from azimuth 74.5 degrees.  Sincre the  sun is exactly at his left we know the roadway that he  is riding on is pointed with azimuth 74.5 + 90 = 164.5 degrees.   That helps to find the right stretch of roadway.  Looking within one taxi ride from Iquique I found a road with exactly that angle!  It's the A-750 south of and inland from town.

From Kilometro 21 it is a 3.6 km ride to an abandoned salt mine.  Thanks to Vitoko, I believe this is the location of the Ireland 3 Salt Mine and our Detour.   :conf:

OMG Chateau you are awesome, you need to teach me how to get those numbers sometime (it would actually help me a lot)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 06:48:18 AM by Vitoko »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #46 on: October 04, 2013, 08:42:16 AM »
:tu Chateau!! That is awesome!! What a team we have!!  :yess:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline stekay

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #47 on: October 04, 2013, 08:45:37 AM »
Oops my bad  :groan:

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #48 on: October 04, 2013, 09:28:32 AM »
Wikimapia is calling it Salina La Isla, but take that with a grain of salt (:funny:......sorry) because even the commenters can't agree on what "oficina" it represents.

Offline Vitoko

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • IQUIQUE - TAR23 LEG1
« Reply #49 on: October 04, 2013, 09:48:37 AM »
Wikimapia is calling it Salina La Isla, but take that with a grain of salt (:funny:......sorry) because even the commenters can't agree on what "oficina" it represents.

I guess I could do some research with local historians and stuff like that but is not really worth it. To be honest I didn't knew this thing existed before June and I've live here my entire life, I honestly don't remember where I found out about the name of Irland 3, it's been a long time since I got that information...  :umn:

Also that wikimapia says that the closest city is Tacna, La Paz and Arequipa... Not Iquique, Arica, La Tirana, Tocopilla, Alto Hospicio... so yeah...  blahblah
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 09:56:34 AM by Vitoko »