Author Topic: TAR Canada - Season 2 gets the green light!  (Read 20726 times)

Offline Air

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • oh you speak french? oh man that's deep
Re: TAR Canada - Season 2 gets the green light!
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2013, 08:17:53 AM »
And Manitoba.

Offline Bookworm

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2013, 04:40:54 PM »
And Manitoba.
Oops yeah that too! Forgot about Manitoba.
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better; it's not" - The Lorax

Offline saskvagabond

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2013, 05:43:53 AM »
Let's not forget that the time that this season is scheduled to film, most of these places will be in the middle of the snow melt. 

Offline Bwils927

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Boston Strong
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2014, 08:47:13 AM »
Winnipeg, Ottawa, and Edmonton were skipped in S1, maybe they'll visit them this year.
"Perception is not reality. Reality is reality!" - Erik Cardona

Offline theamazingracer21

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2014, 04:05:32 AM »
Winnipeg, Ottawa, and Edmonton were skipped in S1, maybe they'll visit them this year.
vous avez oublié Montréal (you forgot Montreal)

Offline Leafsfan.

• TAR Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2014, 01:45:16 AM »
'Amazing Race Canada' Season 2: What's In Store For CTV Reality Show In 2014

If you loved "Amazing Race Canada" in Season 1, then you're in luck. The fan favourite is staying the course for Season 2, with one potentially major change.

While the Canadian reality show competition exceeded expectations with its first season, for its sophomore run -- set to start up in the summer of 2014 -- showrunners and producers have some surprises up their sleeves. HuffPost Canada TV spoke with "Amazing Race Canada" senior producer Mike Bickerton, who filled us in on what's to come.

After sifting through literally thousands of online video auditions for Season 2 (applications are no longer being accepted), Bickerton promises that this season will outpace Season 1. But what will be different about it? What kinds of teams were Bickerton and the producers looking for? If these are the kinds of burning questions you have, then look no further.

How Happy Are You With Season 1?
Considering that "Amazing Race Canada" was the second-highest rated TV show in Canada, averaging 3.3 million viewers per episode, it's not surprising that the people behind the show are thrilled with the end result. It's a source of pride to know that almost every person who worked on the show was Canadian, from the camera operators to the editors.

"We all felt like we had an amazing show while we were shooting out in the field, but to get that kind of response from Canadians was overwhelming," said Bickerton. "I've been doing this for more than a decade, and 'Amazing Race Canada' gave just a staggering, staggering rating."

What Changes Are Afoot With Season 2?
Some aspects of "Amazing Race Canada" are staying the same; Bickerton was so pleased with how the teams turned out for last season, he's predicting that the Season 2 teams will have the same charisma and appeal. The producers want to keep the "Canadian humour" (you know what we mean) fresh and present.

"One of the big things that we've always wanted to keep in mind for the show is Canadian humour," said Bickerton. "Our show was fun and funny in Season 1, and it could be touching and heartfelt, but it always left you smiling. That's something we're going to be focusing on, for sure."

"We have one glaring problem going into Season 2," laughs Bickerton. "And that massive challenge is trying to best ourselves. The challenges have to be more difficult, scarier, funnier ... we're taking a look at the show as a whole and trying to amplify what we did."

Will The Contestants Be Travelling Outside Of Canada?
Since Bickerton is a senior producer, he really only deals with casting -- he isn't qualified to speak to the exact Race route.

"I'm not at liberty to say," said Bickerton. "The [Race] route is obviously our most highly protected treasure, and it's still being worked on." However, we did read in the eligibility guidelines that racers do need to have a valid Canadian passport, but that could just be for any sort of air travel. We're not sure, but it looks like we'll be seeing other locales [read: outside of Canada] this season.

What Sorts Of Teams Will You Be Looking For?
Young, old, siblings, couples. There is so much diversity in terms of applying teams. So what sorts of contestants do they want for "Amazing Race Canada" in Season 2?

"I don't think there's such a thing as too old," said Bickerton. "If somebody can do the medical and pass the physical requirements, then I'd love to have a set of 70-year-olds kicking some 20-year-old butt. But nobody loves like siblings and nobody fights like siblings -- they're always an entertaining team dynamic."

"But we always want contestants who are more than just what they look like on the outside," continues Bickerton. "For example, Jet and Dave [from Season 1]. At first glance, they were the obnoxious party guys, but they're actually really great, and they live clean, healthy lives."

"We're looking for teams with interesting stories and great relationships," said Bickerton. "On shows like 'Big Brother' and 'Survivor,' you have to be evil or devious. 'Amazing Race' is more a show about heroes, and about people like you and me who participate in these extraordinary challenges. We're also getting a lot of co-workers applying this year, which is a fascinating sort of relationship -- we didn't have any last year."

Will There Be Any Teams From The Maritimes?
One criticism that Bickerton frequently encounters is that there weren't any teams from the east coast of Canada in Season 1. (We here at HuffPost Canada got a lot of angry emails/comments about that too!) Will a team of Maritimers make the grade this time around?

"It's interesting about the east coast of Canada," said Bickerton. "Almost every [audition] video that comes in from the eastern provinces spends the first 30 seconds reminding me or telling me that we didn't have any east-coast representation last year. East coasters were pissed, even though we spent two episodes out there. I personally think the show is more about the places we go and the characters themselves, not necessarily where they're from. And I'm going to be honest here: we're getting some great videos from the east coast, but I'm not seeing an overwhelming response from there. I'm a bit surprised!"

Any Canadian Celebrities Make The Cut?
We all know how big a deal Team BodyBreak was going into Season 1. [We here at HuffPost Canada still like taking credit for it.] Other teams were intimidated, and audiences were beyond excited to see the Canadian fitness icons tackle the course. They were a threat, plain and simple. Bickerton says that yes, some celebrities have applied to be a part of Season 2, but he's not totally forthcoming about whether or not they'll be included in the cast.

"BodyBreak came in last-minute, unexpectedly, last year," said Bickerton. "We had a variety of teams audition that were high-profile in different ways. This year, I don't know if we'll have a 'BodyBreak' team. We're not looking for a celebrity couple just to have celebrities on the show. In Canada, it's so strange because we don't have a typical celebrity system -- our biggest stars are sports stars, music stars, maybe politicians to a lesser degree. We've had some Olympians who've submitted fantastic audition videos, too. We just want to find the best set of teams for that starting line."

"Amazing Race Canada" Season 2 will premiere in the summer of 2014.

Source:http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2014/01/02/amazing-race-canada-season-2_n_4531902.html

Offline Vitoko

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • IQUIQUE - TAR23 LEG1
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2014, 05:44:32 PM »
"It's interesting about the east coast of Canada," said Bickerton. "Almost every [audition] video that comes in from the eastern provinces spends the first 30 seconds reminding me or telling me that we didn't have any east-coast representation last year. East coasters were pissed, even though we spent two episodes out there. I personally think the show is more about the places we go and the characters themselves, not necessarily where they're from. And I'm going to be honest here: we're getting some great videos from the east coast, but I'm not seeing an overwhelming response from there. I'm a bit surprised!"

I wish TARLA would have the same mindset  :'(

I'm excited for TAR Canada Season 2  :yess:

Offline Bookworm

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2014, 12:13:12 PM »
Jon Montgomery finishes 24 points out of qualification for Sochi (2 places away) and had he finished 3 places higher today he would have qualified. :(

Oh well he can concentrate on TArCAN now
Poor Jon. At least he still gets to host TAR Canada.
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better; it's not" - The Lorax

Offline theamazingracer21

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2014, 08:05:09 PM »
He's all ours now. }:>

Offline Brannockdevice

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2014, 04:54:54 PM »
Are we allowed to put predictions on here? If so, here would be a cool route:

Leg 1: Ottawa, Ontario --> Montreal, Quebec
Leg 2: Montreal, Quebec --> Waskaganish, Quebec
Leg 3: Waskaganish, Quebec -->  Happy Valley-Goose Bay, Newfoundland & Labrador
Leg 4: Happy Valley-Goose Bay, Newfoundland & Labrador --> Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island
Leg 5: Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island --> Bay of Fundy, New Brunswick
Leg 6: Bay of Fundy, New Brunswick --> Winnipeg, Manitoba
Leg 7: Winnipeg, Manitoba --> Arviat, Nunavut
Leg 8: Arviat, Nunavut --> Banff, Alberta
Leg 9: Banff, Alberta --> Kamloops, British Columbia
Leg 10: Kamloops, British Columbia --> Muskoka, Ontario

What do you all think?
"Exploration is really the essence of the human spirit." -Frank Borman

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2014, 11:10:11 PM »
Let's not do wishlists here please...this is for news and updates. Thanks!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Brannockdevice

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2014, 11:29:14 PM »
Let's not do wishlists here please...this is for news and updates. Thanks!

Can we make a wishlist thread? Or is there one already?
"Exploration is really the essence of the human spirit." -Frank Borman

Offline Leafsfan.

• TAR Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2014, 02:33:35 PM »
CANADIAN OLYMPIC GOLD MEDALLIST MONTGOMERY LIKELY RETIRING

The author of one of Canada's defining moments at the 2010 Vancouver Olympics is "99 per cent" certain he's retiring.

Jon Montgomery, the gold-medal winning skeleton racer who celebrated his victory by chugging from a pitcher of beer handed to him by a fan, says his failed attempt to qualify for the Sochi Games will in all likelihood mark the end of his sliding career.

"I'm done. As a competitive athlete, this is the end of the road for me," Montgomery said in a telephone interview with The Canadian Press on Thursday, before later adding: "I would say 99 per cent of me is certain that I am done.

"You won't see me (racing) next year or the year after and I'm 99 per cent sure you won't see me trying to gain a spot for (the 2018 Winter Olympics in) Pyeongchang."

The 34-year-old Montgomery was one of the stars of the Vancouver Games, memorably drinking from that pitcher on national television as he walked through a crowd of rabid Canadian fans in Whistler, B.C.

But the Russell, Man., native struggled to find consistency on a new sled in the leadup to Sochi and missed out on a chance to defend his title in Russia.

"Physically I'm at the top of my game. I'm going out faster than I've ever been in my career but it's a bit of a sacrifice to make sure that I don't get hurt," he said. "I don't know what sort of long-term damage I've done to my brain but in terms of getting a concussion — which is a really distinct possibility, or a brain injury — I need to make the right choices based on my family."

Montgomery said even had he made it to Sochi and topped the podium a second time, the emotions from Vancouver would have been difficult to repeat.

"Nothing can ever replace your first Olympic gold medal," he said. "To have done that on home soil with friends and family and countrymen by my side ... you just can't top that."

Although he wanted desperately to represent Canada again, Montgomery said he's been watching these Games intently.

"It's the human drama that takes place in front of us every day during the Olympics," he said. "It's unbelievable. I enjoyed being part of it as an athlete and (enjoy) being part of it as a fan."

Montgomery took the 2011-'12 season off and found it difficult racing on the new sled he helped build from scratch when he returned to the track. He had used his previous sled for eight years, but felt it was necessary to go with new technology in order to defend his Olympic gold in Sochi.

In the end, he never got that chance.

"It was really frustrating because you had achieved a certain level of performance that you were used to being able to get back to week in and week out," said Montgomery. "Consistency is a huge part in our sport. You have to be very athletic to push the sled, but it's more of a game of skill and touch.

"It's about that feel and that muscle memory, that finite muscle control, and that's what I was struggling with — to get that feel and that touch back to my sliding game."

Montgomery's path to Sochi was always going to be difficult after he failed to earn one of the three men's spots on Canada's World Cup team. He instead raced on a lower circuit where point values for results are lower, but was promoted to the World Cup team in January.

He needed at least a fourth-place finish in his final race to get a third Canadian sled into the Olympics, but wound up a heart-breaking seventh.

That disappointment aside, Montgomery is adamant he did everything possible to give himself the best chance at success.

"I can say until the day I die that there wasn't anything that we didn't address," he said. "I built a gym in my home garage with equipment that I felt was necessary for me to get quicker, bigger, faster, stronger and that paid off.

"With the equipment development end of things, unfortunately we didn't realize the goals that we had set for ourselves — we fell a little bit short.

"It was mostly timing. An opportunity to get comfortable with the equipment that we'd built was really where we fell short. But as far as making the choices and decisions we made, zero regrets."

Montgomery became somewhat of a folk hero after the 2010 Games and was in Calgary on Thursday to promote Proctor & Gamble's "Thank You, Mom" campaign for the 2014 Olympics.

He and his mother, Joan, starred in a video highlighting how she helped him through some tough times early in his career prior to the Olympic gold medal.

She played a similar role again when her son failed to qualify for Sochi.

"My mom was there to help me pick myself up and move on with some purpose and dedication towards what happens next in life," said Montgomery, who hosted the first season of CTV's "Amazing Race Canada" last year and has signed on again for a second instalment that begins shooting in the spring.

That television career will keep Montgomery in the public eye, but he will likely always be known as the Canadian Olympic champion who chugged beer with a gold medal around his neck.

"Lots of great memories, lots of good friends and a lot of pride in what we were able to accomplish for ourselves as individuals and for us as a country," he said. "I haven't given a formal (retirement) announcement.

"I haven't gone to a press conference and cried like Wayne Gretzky yet, but if that day comes I'll probably do that too.

Source:http://www.tsn.ca/story/?id=443815

Offline Revived Flame

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2014, 02:02:15 PM »
Any news on when they start filming? Surely they'll need to start soon to get it ready for July. What 21-24 days filming, then post production(editing etc).

Offline Heliox

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2014, 10:05:52 AM »
Looks like the grand prize is even bigger. $250000, Air Canada 10 trips for 2 business class anywhere, 2 Chevy Silverados and.... Gas for life (or 50 yrs) from Petro Canada and more pit stop prizes apparently.
I wonder what my buddy Rob and Ryan won?? hopefully some new Silverados!

And we will see the official announcement for teams this week, starting tomorrow

http://blogs.calgaryherald.com/2014/06/16/ruth-myles-grand-prize-grows-for-the-amazing-race-canadas-second-season/