Author Topic: Amish in The City:  (Read 10652 times)

Offline Blue Jean Baby

• RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Amish in The City:
« on: July 29, 2004, 12:39:56 AM »
Interview with Ruth and Mose

*Excerpts from a press question & answer session with AMISH IN THE CITY participants Ruth and Mose

REPORTER'S QUESTION: What was your sense of this experience and are you happy that you did it?

MOSE: Absolutely. I wouldn't have missed it for anything. I don't know about Ruth here. I think she liked it, too, didn't you?

RUTH: My experience has been great. I have experienced so much on the show, I can't even tell you guys how much I've experienced. It's meant a lot to me.

REPORTER'S QUESTION: From what I understand, part of the whole idea of rumspringa is that you then have the choice to depart from the church forever for the rest of your life. How could you make that decision? How could you feel free to make that decision knowing that you would go to hell if that is part of your religious upbringing?

MOSE: I guess that most of me is saying the reason that I left the Amish on rumspringa is because I wanted to experience the world and I wanted a deeper meaning in faith, and I wanted to see if I could explore my faith more than I could among the Amish even.

REPORTER'S QUESTION: Why did you want to do the show in the first place? Here you are embarking on something that's bound to be very strange under the best of circumstances and it seems surprising that you would want to share your most intimate thoughts and feelings about that with 200 million drooling Americans.

MOSE: I will tell you why I did, and Ruth can explain why she did it. I left the Amish to do my period of rumspringa, and what better way to complete that period and explore all the things in the world than to do something like this. That was part of it. Another part of it is ever since I have left the Amish, there have been so many thousands of people that have been curious about the Amish way of life.

RUTH: The reason I kind of wanted to do the show is because I have not had very much experience. I had never seen the ocean or the beach or ever had an airplane ride. And I knew I was going to get this stuff, and I experienced a lot more than a lot of Amish people did back where I come from.

REPORTER'S QUESTION: Were you aware of the controversy about the show, and did you feel exploited during the making of it at all?

MOSE: I came into this show knowing that there's going to be a lot of controversy, even among the Amish. Like, even my family, some of my best friends are going to really disapprove of it. I was prepared for the whole controversial thing. So did I feel exploited throughout the show at any point in time? Absolutely not. If I had to go back and do anything over, it would not involve being exploited at any point.

RUTH: I feel there was so much controversy about this. I had second thoughts about doing the show because I didn't know what [I was] coming into and what [I was] going to be doing. But once I did get into the show, I was so happy. You know, I didn't care what the people thought or what they're going to be thinking of me. I just decided I'm going to do it.

REPORTER'S QUESTION: Rumspringa begins at age 16. How long do your families and does the church allow you to go through it before--I mean, at a certain point, do they just say, "You have to decide now"? Mose is 24.

MOSE: I think that the average is probably from 16 to 24, but they will not treat you much [differently]. I mean, the Amish aren't going to say, "You're done with your rumspringa. Come home." That's your own choice. They will treat you the same if you're 59 when you come home. You might be looked at a little [differently], but they will take you back into church the same amount of time, unless your hair doesn't grow out as fast anymore or whatever.

*Additional excerpts from the session, featuring a Q&A with show participants Kevan, Ariel and the show's producers will be posted soon.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
Re: Amish in The City:
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2004, 12:44:08 AM »
I was so excited to watch this show tonight and all I can say is PeeYou !! It Stank .. I don't recommend it and I don't plan on ever tuning it in again..  B:)  B:)

Offline Blue Jean Baby

• RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2004, 12:58:40 AM »
LOL, i liked it.  i thought it was fun watching the Amish kids do things that were totally new to them. 

t

Offline WENDY

• RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • One day..... I Will Outlast, Outwit & Outplay
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2004, 06:59:48 AM »
Me too Puddin.... I gave it a whirl and I hated it... We turned it off half way through it....  |:(
Wendy Jean

SURVIVOR 11- HERE I COME!!!!!!!!!

Offline Brown Guy

• RFF Sr. Member
    • My Site!
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2004, 03:20:09 PM »
i thought about watching it, but by the sounds of it it sux so i wont lol
A rumor without a leg to stand on will get around!
~John Tudor

Offline Blue Jean Baby

• RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2004, 04:58:10 PM »
LOL, oh well i will be the only one that likes it, lol

t

Offline WENDY

• RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • One day..... I Will Outlast, Outwit & Outplay
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2004, 05:04:43 PM »
Keep us updated whether ornot it gets any better.
Wendy Jean

SURVIVOR 11- HERE I COME!!!!!!!!!

Offline Blue Jean Baby

• RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2004, 05:07:41 PM »
i will try but i already like it so i might not notice if its better or not...

Offline RudyRules

• RFF's Maturest Angel.
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • S1's Rudy Rocks!!
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2004, 01:01:05 AM »
I didn't know it had started already!  But not sure I can get it on my Cable anyway.  It's on UPN??  Whatever that is...I can't find it in TV Guide.  Which channel do you get it, T?? 

I am interested in seeing how they all interact w/ each other.  I think the Amish folks are awesome people...even if they do live secluded lives.  I wouldn't want to be Amish, but I respect them for having the courage to live how they were taught & stick to it... 

Offline Blue Jean Baby

• RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2004, 07:05:59 AM »
Me too Rudy.  i have always been interested in them though.  Intrigued maybe...  i find it interesting the way they live.  i could not do it either though.

t

i think it is on 25 here, let me look and see if i can find what it is listed under.

Offline Blue Jean Baby

• RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2004, 07:11:36 AM »
OK i looked but on TV Guide.com it is not listen on UPN it is listed by the station.  Just try going to TV Guide.com and at your TV Listings.  Look for Amish In The City at 8pm on Wed night.  It is listed for me like i said but does not say UPN.  It is channel 6 here.

Offline StealthTiger

• RFF Not So Newbie
  • Yo amo Reality TV
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2004, 05:21:09 PM »
LOL, oh well i will be the only one that likes it, lol

t

Well, I like it, too.  Even though, the "city people" make me mad sometimes. >:(

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2004, 06:03:58 PM »
Heres the site link ..it has some videos if you want to see what its all about Rudy  :)_{}

Amish City Link

Offline Blue Jean Baby

• RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2004, 12:02:22 AM »
i thought i posted that, guess not, lol.

Oh good Tiger i am glad you like it too, that way i will have someone to talk with, lol.  The city kids make me mad too, i think they are rude.

t

Offline RudyRules

• RFF's Maturest Angel.
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • S1's Rudy Rocks!!
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2004, 12:52:27 AM »
Heres the site link ..it has some videos if you want to see what its all about Rudy  :)_{}

Amish City Link

Hey Gals, thanks for all your help!  :-*  I'll ck out the UPN site.

T, I couldn't find the show in my paper TVguide, b/c I thot it aired on Sunday.  I just now looked on Wed, and it's there.  That's the good news.  Bad news is it's on Ch 57.  My cable goes only to 39!  bummer.  :':')  Oh well.  If the show does good, maybe other channels might run it?  dunno...

Well, at least I can view the vids from the UPN site.  :)

Ruday

Offline Blue Jean Baby

• RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2004, 12:55:58 AM »
Thats better then nothing.  i viewed all of them the first night, but i keep checking for more, lol.

t

Offline StealthTiger

• RFF Not So Newbie
  • Yo amo Reality TV
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2004, 03:06:17 PM »
Don't forget to watch tonight, BJB! ;D

Offline Blue Jean Baby

• RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2004, 04:43:06 PM »