Author Topic: "APSKIP" --TAR Detective remembered  (Read 27111 times)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
"APSKIP" --TAR Detective remembered
« on: June 15, 2013, 05:51:42 AM »
Our RFF family lost a great friend this week. I am so very saddened to say that Apskip died suddenly on Monday June 10.

Apskip joined RFF Dec 21, 2006. He was a stickler for accuracy, a passionate traveler, and a true Amazing Race fan. He had a near encyclopedic memory of TAR facts. He quickly became known for his geographical expertise and his "amazing" gift for tracking even the most complicated flight data for TAR detecting. He could always be relied on to drop everything to help us in our searches for the best possible TAR routes and transportation. Many a location was discovered because of his gift for spotting a possible connection between legs. He made an enormous contribution at RFF and his passing will leave a great hole here.

Who was the man behind the "Apskip"? Apskip was in real life, Arthur E. Perkins Jr. He graduated from MIT with a BS in Economics, and then from the MIT Sloan School of Management with an MS in Management. He had a long career in Management and had experience in both the restaurant business and the travel industry.

He was a well known Reality TV writer and the author of several books. His best known were the 2 Amazing Race books:
"Circumnavigating the Globe: Amazing Race 10 to 14 and Amazing Race Asia 1 to 3" and 
"Circumnavigating the Globe 2: Amazing Race 15-19, Amazing Race Asia 4, Amazing Race Australia: Amazing Race 15 - 19, Amazing Race Asia 4, Amazing Race Australia 1". All are available on Amazon.

He was also the author of "Chef Wars: Hell's Kitchen" and "Chef Wars: Top Chef, Top Chef Masters, Top Chef-Just Desserts". He did many recaps of Hell's Kitchen and Top Chef and The Apprentice.

He was a singer, very active in his church, and a proud husband and father. But to many of us here, he was just our own "Apskip" and his friendship and contributions to RFF will be greatly missed.

I know you all join me in extending our most heartfelt sympathy to his wife and children. Please feel free to share your memories here as well!

This was taken at Apskip's first TARcon:

RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Air

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • oh you speak french? oh man that's deep
Re: "APSKIP" --TAR Detective remembered
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2013, 05:57:19 AM »
He wrote the 'Circumnavigating...' books? No wonder they sounded familiar! :lol:

Apskip, you and your contributions will be sorely missed. :( RIP.

MrDeerShank

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2013, 06:01:16 AM »
apskip! :'( You will be sorely missed on RFF, RIP :(

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2013, 06:10:31 AM »
Rest in peace Apskip. I will always think of you when watching the Amazing Race.  :'(

And I will try to be nice to my travel agent.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 06:17:31 AM by redskevin88 »

Offline WinTar

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2013, 06:11:14 AM »
RIP, apskip. :(

Offline Plaidmoon

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2013, 06:36:59 AM »
I'm absolutely shocked and stunned. In my time here, he was always among the best contributors around here. His passing will leave a huge hole in RFF.

My deepest condolences go out to Apskip's family.

Rest in peace, Arthur.

Offline Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • R.F.F. Game Host A.A.R.G. 11
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2013, 07:26:48 AM »
As Plaidmoon, I'm shocked and stunned. His contibutions were always (were, I can't believe I'm saying "were" and not "are") so valuable. His departure leave us with a big hole to fill, not only for the detective, but principally for the person.
I've always thought of the RFF as a big family, and last monday we lost one of his members. So, RIP Mr. Arthur E. "Apskip" Perkins Jr.; your other family will miss you a lot.   :(
"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains - however improbable - must be the truth." - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

"No person deserves your tears, and who deserves them will not make you cry." - Gabriel García Márquez

Offline realshowfan

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Frantic Fanfic Fanatic!
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2013, 07:29:06 AM »
Condolences to apskip/Arthur's family. His contributions to RFF, with his articulation and accurate analyses, as well as to everything he has done have been and will be appreciated. Outstanding man. :)
This summer ※ The Amazing Race: ZBC // RSF
http://forum.realityfanforum.com/index.php/topic,31363.0.html

Offline KitKat

• RFF's Kitty Kat
  • RFF Board Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2013, 08:10:23 AM »
My prayers to Arthur's family. You will be greatly missed Apskip ;(
delightful just delightful

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • RFF Assistant Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • So much to watch, so little time!
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2013, 08:21:39 AM »
My deepest sympathy for his family and friends. He was a great friend and a great detective and I will truly miss him.
The choices we make dictate the life we lead.

Offline Jimmer

• Big Brother Sho2 Updater
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2013, 08:22:16 AM »
My thoughts are with his family. He will be missed. :( Do we know how he died?

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • RFF Assistant Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • So much to watch, so little time!
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2013, 08:33:31 AM »
My thoughts are with his family. He will be missed. :( Do we know how he died?

He died of natural causes. 
The choices we make dictate the life we lead.

Offline Jimmer

• Big Brother Sho2 Updater
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2013, 08:35:35 AM »

Offline claude_24hrs

• " I am Claude "
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Not interested with fantasy games
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2013, 08:46:06 AM »
RIP Apskip. :(

He was the best frequent traveler and highly experienced on giving the flight schedule. Condolences through his family.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 09:25:37 PM by claude_24hrs »

Offline theamazingracer21

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2013, 09:11:03 AM »
RIP Apskip  :( :'(

Offline Bwils927

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Boston Strong
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2013, 09:38:07 AM »
Oh my gosh! I honestly can't believe this. He was such a big contributor here and even though I never really interacted with him I always loved reading his posts.

RIP Apskip  :'(
"Perception is not reality. Reality is reality!" - Erik Cardona

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2013, 10:00:41 AM »

:'(

Apskip, you will be so missed.  I am very sad to say the least.  A big component of the fun dies with you.

A trooper to the very end:  last active June 10, 2013
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline Kamineko

• HOST: Design Challenge 8
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Pika Pika
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2013, 10:00:59 AM »
RIP apskip... :'( It's really sad to lose such a big contributor on RFF. :(
The Amazing Race: Design Challenge VIII - Game starts here!

The Amazing Race Japan - Sign up here!
*Postponed until after TAR:DC 8 finished*

Offline Cocoa

• RFF Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2013, 10:26:32 AM »
Life is really a box of surprises; I am sad at this loss :'(

Apskip, with his amazing memory and walking-encyclopedia personality, contributed a lot here in Reality Fan Forum. He was even friendly and hospitable enough to be a judge in my Amazing Race Design Game and he really did give his time for my game. I will continue to thank him for doing that.

You will be missed, Apskip!
Currently on hiatus. If you need to urgently reach me, you can send me an email :D

Offline Declive

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2013, 11:23:15 AM »
And i was rude to him one day...so sorry , apskip...you WILL BE MISSED!  :'( :'( :'(
100% commitment makes everything easy
99% commitment makes everything hard

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2013, 11:45:09 AM »
Apskip really took me under his wing; when he learnt I was entering the aviation business, he took care to train me in his best way possible!

RFF has lost a good friend and a great detective; may you rest in peace!

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2013, 12:37:43 PM »
I'm absolutely shocked and stunned. In my time here, he was always among the best contributors around here. His passing will leave a huge hole in RFF.

My deepest condolences go out to Apskip's family.

Rest in peace, Arthur.

Let me just second, or third, what Plaidmoon said. He contributed mightily to the sleuthing we do here, and he had his resources to bring to the table. Speaking for myself, and the schnauzers who have been with me since TAR began to air a dozen years ago, he will be missed, and our condolences to his family and friends both in real life and online.
-- theschnauzers

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "For old time's sake..."
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2013, 04:03:29 PM »
Wow, this is sad to hear! My condolences to his family and friends.

Apskip was one of the first members I met here at RFF. He regularly took the time out to make a correction when anyone incorrectly stated a fact, and I feel like he remembered everything he had ever read or watched about The Amazing Race. Frequently he would PM me and inform me when I was making an error or when I had a poorly reasoned argument. I admit that I did not usually appreciate this correction, but in hindsight I realize that this was a demonstration of a sincere commitment to factual accuracy. And it was something I needed anyway, given the fact that when I first joined RFF I was rather immature.

I remember when I first read Circumnavigating the Globe. As I read, I recognized the writing style. Soon I concluded that the author could only be apskip! As a result, it is neat to have my intimations confirmed, and to learn more about the man behind the name. It makes me wonder who else joins us here in the relative anonymity of the Internet.

All in all, because of this we are reminded anew that everyone we meet online is a real person, and that it is important to treat everyone with respect.

May you rest in peace, and not miss TAR Detecting as much as everyone here will miss you!

The Plan of Happiness
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline Xarles

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2013, 06:04:16 PM »
Let us comfort his family and give back a little of the good times we got from him. For those who believe, let us pray for his family and may he rest in peace. It is absolutely a gigantic loss. From my lurking times, to my years here, he was always such a familiar regular around. May someone let his family know how well he was appreciated by delivering all these messages. He left a footprint the world over, as if he had always raced. There will always be someone in Mexico remembering him. All my love.

P.S. Apskip: If you can read this, please send us a heavenly signal on season #23's whereabouts. We already miss you and need you!

Xarles

Offline themikko95

• RFF Full Member
  • Kym/Alli for the win!
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2013, 10:44:21 PM »
Rest In Peace, Apskip  :'(
Dustin/Kandice, Jaime/Cara and Pam/Winnie = goddesses!