I've been keeping up with the season, just haven't been posting in a while.
Here are my overall impressions of the first fourth of the season, leg-by-leg and team-by-team.Leg Impressions (up to Leg 3)Leg 1
- I found this leg to be one of the worst first legs.. possibly ever
. There was nothing interesting about it and we barely even got to know the teams. I think TAR should get 90-minute premieres because 60 minutes is just too little to fill in the team profiles, starting line, airport (if necessary), and the actual tasks. Because of that, this, along with the past few premieres, felt really rushed and boring. I felt so bad for the Father/Daughter team, especially after reading their elimination interview. The leg design was TERRIBLE with one of the teammates of each team actually not doing anything the entire leg (since the person NOT performing the first RB actually did the paragliding, and that person was forced to do the second RB = one person carrying the team). They had a really interesting dynamic as well.. so sad to see them leave too soon.Leg 2
- I found this leg to be a MAJOR improvement from the previous leg. It wasn't quite good if you take a closer look at the leg design and events. The Detour was definitely pointless and was just a deciding factor for who will be on the first bus and so on. While the Detour choices were.. different.. but there was nothing too interesting about them. The shoe-shining RB saved the leg. I loved when night fell - I think the fact that it was nighttime and still crowded is what made the RB so chaotic for the last five teams or so. Rowan & Shane were a total trainwreck this episode! They did surprisingly well in the first leg, though.Leg 3
- This leg brought back something that TAR lacks these days: airport drama. It wasn't just getting the right flight that was drama, it was also team-drama! Nicky & Kim were smart to get on standby earlier than everyone else.. makes me wonder why no one hadn't thought of that before them. I think the tasks were pretty cool this leg, especially the Magellan Detour choice. I'm really liking all of the teams so far. I just think the doctors need to calm down and stop getting stressed when they're consistently in the front. Honestly, TAR should apply a new rule where teams cannot work together unless it's an Intersection. This is probably why they don't do Intersections anymore, because teams are constantly working together whenever they feel like it - and it's just not fair imo. While this episode had lots of great drama and decent tasks, it WAS lacking something: suspense. Poor Chester & Ephraim.. just one little mistake (even if it wasn't theirs) can completely change the outcome of the Race. Team Impressions (as of Leg 3)Nicole & Travis
- Like I said in my Leg 3 thoughts, I think they should tone down their competitiveness. They're getting too stressed over nothing. So far they're an okay team. I can't wait for Nicole's "power play" meltdown "I WANT THAT EXPRESS PASS." Jason & Amy
- They are definitely improving and could start to dominate. Apparently they had some seven minute-lead ahead of Nicole & Travis. Sucks for them that they lost their lead because of the taxi driver.Nicky & Kim
- I think they're a really likeable/strategic team. I don't really have anything against them.Tim & Danny
- My pre-race impression of them was that they're going to be one of those slow and boring M/M teams who get booted early. Boy, I was wrong. I really like them and they're just running and enjoying the Race. I loved Danny's guilt for lying to Marie Brandon & Adam
- They haven't really made much of an impression for me. I think of them the same way as Tim & Danny: running and enjoying the Race.. but they haven't quite delivered yet.Leo & Jamal
- I like AND dislike them for some reason. I'm not a fan of their alliance with the Ice girls.. it's just rather pointless. I love when they mess with Tim & Marie though Ally & Ashley
- Not a fan of their alliance with the Afghanimals.. they're kind of better off without them. These girls as their own team actually haven't delivered much yet, either. Tim & Marie
- I was surprised that they were actually the last team of the second flight pack. I love me a team of Exes but I think Tim needs to fight back with Marie sometimes.. I guess it's better that he doesn't so their whole dynamic doesn't come across as "fake" as some view it. Like the Afghanimals, I like AND hate this team for some reason.
I actually kind of agree with Phil's pre-season hype this time around. The teams this season are pretty competitive and there are no teams remaining that stroll around slowly (i.e Rob & Kelley) and somehow make it. They're all competitive whether they're in an alliance or not, and that's what I like about this cast so far.