Author Topic: AR23 Transportation  (Read 85769 times)

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: AR23 Transportation
« Reply #200 on: October 15, 2013, 08:58:56 AM »
Thanks Claude and Mylomilk!

One really minor nitpick in Claude's updated timeline: Tim/Danny and Brandon/Adam took H2 501 from Santiago to Buenos Aires as Mylomilk noted, not H2 730. (Probably just a typo!) :)

Also wanted to confirm how you got Chester/Ephraim's final arrival time in Lisbon? There was a shot of a watch when they were talking to Phil, but my copy of the episode isn't clear enough. Did it say midnight?

Responding to Mylomilk's question about the Sao Paulo to London flight (using Claude's data): the GRU-LHR flight Chester/Ephraim took was scheduled to have left long ago, but the flight itself was delayed so much (11 hours!) that they could book tickets on it.

One more thing of note: Did Chester/Ephraim panic in Buenos Aires? There arrived in Buenos Aires ahead of Tim/Danny, Brandon/Adam, Leo/Jamal, and Ally/Ashley; could they have just tried to get tickets on those, all of which arrived before the Sao Paolo-Lisbon flight they were trying to get?

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #201 on: October 15, 2013, 09:08:35 AM »
Not sure if this contributes to figuring it out, but my Emirates frequent flier number goes EK 123 456 789 and my United one goes ABC 12345. :)

United starts with 3 alpha characters, but my United is an old Continental account and they start with 2 alpha characters similar to the one in the photo

Also the format on the Delta number in the photo fits the same format as my Delta FF number too.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 09:18:29 AM by DrRox »
Matthew 7:15

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #202 on: October 15, 2013, 09:22:01 AM »
In the interviews they say they were 22+ hours behind the other teams when Phil eliminated them. Extended PitStop??
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #203 on: October 15, 2013, 10:00:04 AM »
Can't be. The teams arrived in Lisbon to race on 15 Jun (mentioned this last episode), and were seen at midnight of 16/17 Jun in Svolvaer. They must have been released sometime over the daytime of 16 Jun.

Earliest reasonable flight for Phil to get out is TP 768 from Lisbon to Oslo, 0855-1355 on the morning of 16 Jun. We'll see how much of a lead they give him over the teams.

22+ hours behind the lead teams puts them arriving in Lisbon at 5am, and no flight from anywhere arrives near that time; I think they were exaggerating. I agree with Claude and Mylomilk that they were around 16h behind.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 10:03:57 AM by Neobie »

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #204 on: October 15, 2013, 11:37:58 AM »
Hey Slowhatch........

Not sure if this is for the ep thread, but I'll try it here: can anybody decipher this?

How about this scenario........the mobile device belongs to either Nicole/Travis's soundman or cameraman. It is bigger than a phone, looks more like a mini iPad/tablet to me. Anyway he has a page with all his FF numbers stored in the device so he can get FF miles when racers have to book his seats...when they book theirs. I doubt that their is/are any rule(s) about crew using devices or accruing FF miles. I certainly could be wrong, but makes sense to me.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 11:52:26 AM by DrRox »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #205 on: October 15, 2013, 11:57:05 AM »
I think it could be a crew passport that Nicole is handing over as they book the tickets...
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #206 on: October 15, 2013, 12:21:39 PM »
Works for me..........both of them as a matter of fact......one on top of the other.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #207 on: October 15, 2013, 12:27:13 PM »
I believe the FF miles get associated with the credit card the teams use for paying for flight tickets, which would mean that WRP would get the FF miles.
-- theschnauzers

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #208 on: October 15, 2013, 01:11:50 PM »
I believe the FF miles get associated with the credit card the teams use for paying for flight tickets, which would mean that WRP would get the FF miles.

I don't think so.... but mystery solved?
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #209 on: October 15, 2013, 01:24:49 PM »
Corey S: Exactly how many hours were you guys behind?
Chester - 22 hours
and 33 minutes
Ephraim - That's a pretty good assessment. We were about a day
behind
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline David

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Queen <3
« Reply #210 on: October 15, 2013, 02:10:04 PM »
Corey S: Exactly how many hours were you guys behind?
Chester - 22 hours
and 33 minutes
Ephraim - That's a pretty good assessment. We were about a day
behind

If flights arrived from 7AM till 12PM, how could they be 22h behind if they arrived there inthe middle of the night? Only reasonable thing is they got in Lisbon at 5:32 AM the following day, which is quite improbable knowing their flight came from London, and those do not usually fly aduring the night.

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #211 on: October 20, 2013, 07:37:54 AM »

Edit: Wow, there are so many ways to get between these airports I thought were small!

All the connections. surprising, do make some sense. Trondheim, Bergen and Stavanger are all ports that service the Norweigen North Sea oil fields. Gdansk is a world famous shipbuilding center. I would think that Norway has recruited a lot of shipbuilders/ironworkers from Poland to build/maintain all the offshore platforms in the North Sea. So airlines would want to have available seats for all these workers going back and forth.

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #212 on: October 20, 2013, 11:50:37 PM »
:hoot:

We've been assuming teams -flew- into Svolvaer, but here's an option that gives us a perfect sighting time for midnight the night of 16 Jun 2013:

TP 768 from Lisbon to Oslo. 0855-1355
(Flights via Copenhagen also possible)
SK 4116 from Oslo to Bodo, 1535-1705
SK 4122 from Oslo to Bodo, 1715-1840
DY 350 from Oslo to Bodo, 1750-1920
Ferry from Bodo to Svolvaer, 2030-2329

Question, though, in light of the TBC. Teams checked in in the Lofoten on the early morning of the 17th, but do not leave Trondheim until the morning of the 19th? Did I get that right? That means they've got two whole days (with no Pit Stop in between) to travel down Norway?

The simplest way to get from the Lofoten to Trondheim would get them in a day ahead, arriving in Trondheim that evening and ready for flights to Poland on the 18th:
Ferry from Svolvaer to Bodo, 17/0630-1000
Train from Bodo to Trondheim, 1215-2205

Where did that extra day come from?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 12:11:56 AM by Neobie »

Offline Vitoko

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • IQUIQUE - TAR23 LEG1
« Reply #213 on: October 21, 2013, 01:19:59 AM »
Maybe some kind of weather delay coud affect their departure time? is there a way to check this?

Offline Plaidmoon

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #214 on: October 21, 2013, 02:11:21 PM »
I checked the weather for Svolvaer, Bodo, Trondheim, Oslo and Gdansk for June 16th-18th on http://wunderground.com and saw nothing unusual. It rained in Trondheim on the 17th (0.20") and was breezy (up to 25 mph) and Oslo reported a thunderstorm on the 17th but neither one should have stopped air travel for very long.

Offline runningblind

• RFF Full Member
  • Hope sir Terry had a pleasant talk with DEATH.
« Reply #215 on: October 27, 2013, 01:33:36 PM »
How sure are we that they got to Gdansk by plane? If we talk about such delay I immediately think about a Stena Line ferry from Karlskrona (Sweden) to Gdynia (Poland). Maybe that would explain the delay. What do you yhink about that?

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #216 on: October 27, 2013, 08:50:52 PM »
At the beginning of the episode, after leaving for the ferry dock from the pitstop, one of the teams mentioned that the ferry trip was 34 hours, and the ferry didn't open until 8:30 a.m., and that teams then flew to Poland
That alone should help explain the 2 day gap that had some of y'all wondering what was going on. By my rough calculus, teams wouldn't have reach Gdansk until the afternoon of the third day (as it was clear teams were reaching the pitstop in the afternoon and evening before sunset that day.)
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 03:10:39 PM by theschnauzers »
-- theschnauzers

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #217 on: October 28, 2013, 03:30:01 AM »
Ah, I should have followed up on this! They took the Hurtigruten ferry, a cruise ship sailing up and down the Norwegian coast. (As opposed to a short ferry then a train, which is much faster.) There is some historical data on their website, which shows the M/S Lofoten departing Svolvaer on 17 Jun at 8.30pm, arriving at Trondheim the morning of 19 Jun at 6.30am. Timeline fits, two whole days eaten up, and mystery solved!

Have to watch the episode again, not sure which exact flight they took? (It should be the flight our spoiler sighting has them travelling on; the rest of production should have left straight from Bodo or Svolvaer.)
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 03:34:25 AM by Neobie »

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #218 on: October 28, 2013, 07:30:27 AM »
Ah, I should have followed up on this! They took the Hurtigruten ferry, a cruise ship sailing up and down the Norwegian coast. (As opposed to a short ferry then a train, which is much faster.) There is some historical data on their website, which shows the M/S Lofoten departing Svolvaer on 17 Jun at 8.30pm, arriving at Trondheim the morning of 19 Jun at 6.30am. Timeline fits, two whole days eaten up, and mystery solved!

Have to watch the episode again, not sure which exact flight they took? (It should be the flight our spoiler sighting has them travelling on; the rest of production should have left straight from Bodo or Svolvaer.)

The stock footage shows a Scandinavian Airlines (SAS) plane. According to Wikipedia, they fly from Oslo and Copenhagen to Gdansk.

Man where's apskip when you need him?

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #219 on: October 28, 2013, 02:35:51 PM »
Have it figured out, assuming all teams took the same flight as was presented on the show:

The ferry was scheduled to arrive in Trondheim at 6.30am on 19 Jun. Have to assume that teams didn't arrange for flights that left Trondheim before this, even if the ferry ended up arriving a little early! It's 30min to the airport and 45min to check in before the flight, so teams wouldn't have booked anything leaving before 7.45am.

A photo of a team posing was posted at 2.08pm local time in Gdansk. Taking off 15min to exit the airport, 23min for the ride via Solidarity Square to the Golden Gate, and another 15min to walk to the Neptune Fountain and get dressed, the flight arrived no later than 1.15pm.

The only itineraries that fit this are routings via Oslo. There are multiple options for each leg, however, but our analysis precludes teams transferring via Copenhagen, meaning Wikipedia is more than likely wrong (shocker!):

SK 343 from Trondheim to Oslo, 0750-0845
DY 747 from Trondheim to Oslo, 0800-0855
SK 345 from Trondheim to Oslo, 0820-0915
DY 749 from Trondheim to Oslo, 0830-0925
DY 751 from Trondheim to Oslo, 0920-1015
SK 347 from Trondheim to Oslo, 0920-1015
-----
DY 1052 from Oslo to Gdansk, 1100-1225
SK 4789 from Oslo to Gdansk, 1120-1250

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #220 on: October 28, 2013, 03:18:33 PM »
If the ferry offices opened at 8:30 am and the teams departed at 8:30 pm, and arrived 34 hours later to get to the airport....then we have teams waiting from the evening of day 1 for 24 hours to embark on the ferry and by the time they get to the airport to book their flights, they've already been going on the leg for 60 hours; and add to that that one of the teams mention when they were self-driving to the Viking Longhouse that they had already been going for 30 hours; then by the time teams checked in with Phil, they had put in nearly 100 hours since the last pit stop rest period. If that isn't a record for TAR, it's pretty damn close.
The killer fatigue on the next leg should be horrendous.
-- theschnauzers

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #221 on: October 28, 2013, 03:39:49 PM »
Leg 4 started in Sintra/Lisbon on the night of 14 Jun and ended in the early morning of 17 Jun, and Leg 5 continued to the afternoon of 19 Jun.

Agreed on the really, really long leg, but I would have felt rejuvenated! An entire day (with a car still, if production let them keep it) to sightsee in Svolvaer, and two nights on a bed on the comfortable Hurtigruten ferry, where each cabin comes with its own private toilet and shower? Sure beats having to squeeze time out of a short Pit Stop, plus there's less interviews to do and more time to hang out with the other racers!
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 03:44:47 PM by Neobie »

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #222 on: October 28, 2013, 03:41:39 PM »
It does appear that the teams finished Leg 4 in the morning of June 17. The ferry possibly left at 8:30 pm. We are not really sure are we of this timetable? Neobie said some historical data. Nevertheless.......if accurate, then teams would have probably found some place to sleep all day. A hostel possibly. Left on the 34 hour ferry ride....and do what....stay awake all that time? They probably grouped up to get cheap rates for a cabin, like they have done before in TAR and slept their way to Trondheim.

So yes it was a long two legs in terms of calendar time.....but there was also plenty of time to sleep. None of the teams seemed all that exhausted in Gdansk. As Neobie has pointed out...the preferred hotels that TAR uses for pit stops are right by the pier. So it is possible that Production sequestered the teams in a hotel before flying to Vienna.

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #223 on: October 28, 2013, 03:50:40 PM »
The Hurtigruten website isn't going to let you book a ride from its website, but if you go to "Sailing Schedule" it lets you search for Svolvaer departures in June 2013, and the M/S Lofoten does indeed leave that night at 8.30pm.

The arrival time can be found by trying to book a ferry for the summer of 2014 (spaces are actually quite tight, so production might have booked the tickets beforehand!), which reveals the arrival time in Trondheim to be 6.30am. (The boat later leaves port to continue south at 10.00am, according to the "Sailing Schedule".)

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #224 on: November 01, 2013, 01:44:28 AM »
Thanks to Peach, screencaps from CBS:

Leo and Jamal are waiting for this train:
D 407 from Warsaw Central to Vienna Westbahnhof, 20/2054-21/0632
And the latest they need to leave Gdansk to catch this is:
TLK 51116 from Gdansk to Warsaw Central, 20/1448-2006

It is possible to get off the train on the Czech/Austrian border at Hohenau to shave 15min off and arrive at a more central station, closer to the Palais Augarten:
TLK 51116 from Gdansk to Warsaw Central, 20/1448-2006
D 407 from Warsaw Central to Hohenau, 2054-21/0501
R 2307 from Hohenau to Vienna Praterstern, 0509-0613

Beating Leo/Jamal's train requires a departure from Gdansk at 5.50am (9 hours earlier!), but goes through Berlin and Munich and arrives only at 5.45am, less than an hour before Leo/Jamal's arrival. Miss Leo/Jamal's train, however, and you're looking at an arrival in Vienna at 6.24pm, a full 12 hours late. Not surprising if we get a full bunching.