Author Topic: TAR 22 FINALE East Coast SHOW updates and commentary **Please read the rules**  (Read 57389 times)

Offline zythr

• RFF Not So Newbie
IMHO...  I'm OK with the winner, but it was bad edit for Final Leg. When Bates & Anthony finished the last task, i knew they would win. Last season final task definitely harder & challenging  than this. Last season we saw Beekman boys & the Chippendales racing to the finish line, but this time the Hockey boys racing alone. "Unpredictable finish" ?? I still don't get it  :stare

I totally agree with you! It was a clean win.

Well, I was expecting a much hard final leg, but it seems it was pretty easy to do both the challenges. I hoped that. Well, grats on B/A, having all the strong teams supporting them, the result is pretty obvious. Next time, listen to the young guys and try to kick them out of the race. But, well-deserved race! Still wanted a better final leg though

It was what it was, and now it is over.

Offline ianthebalance

• RFF Frantic Poster
THAT WAS SO "PREDICTABLE"... Phil you liar! LOL!!! jk!

since the RB,and the baseball challenge, not onlyB/A're lucky, the baseball challenge is basically cake for them.
they gained so much lead there surprise,surprise

even got stuck not finding Indonesia (LOL what is it with the racers and Indonesia, it's like we made them got lost, A LOT!)  :lol3:
they already done before Maxie and M/B arrived..

So happy for Bates&Anthony..  :keeta: :keeta: :keeta:

that final memory challenge was okay, but all the balls should've been marked... to raise more confusion
that way, all those three could possibly at least be neck in neck ... LOL

and Dave&Connor is SO going back on Unfinished Business...
not happy about that but oh well ...

The other balls were marked.

Offline BuuYaa

• RFF Full Member
  • TAR 22 <3; TAR 23 must be better
THAT WAS SO "PREDICTABLE"... Phil you liar! LOL!!! jk!

since the RB,and the baseball challenge, not onlyB/A're lucky, the baseball challenge is basically cake for them.
they gained so much lead there surprise,surprise

even got stuck not finding Indonesia (LOL what is it with the racers and Indonesia, it's like we made them got lost, A LOT!)  :lol3:
they already done before Maxie and M/B arrived..

So happy for Bates&Anthony..  :keeta: :keeta: :keeta:

that final memory challenge was okay, but all the balls should've been marked... to raise more confusion
that way, all those three could possibly at least be neck in neck ... LOL

and Dave&Connor is SO going back on Unfinished Business...
not happy about that but oh well ...

The other balls were marked.

yes, the other balls were marked
check my quote in bold...
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 11:23:17 AM by BuuYaa »
Please Bring'em back:
=======================================
MM: Jaymes&James; Mark&Bopper
FF: Caroline&Jennifer; Pam&Winnie; Natalie&Nadiya;
MF: Joey&Meghan;
Couple : Max&Katie; Abby&Ryan; Brendon&Rachel; Amani&Marcus;
Elder Couple : Chuck&Wynona; Bill&Cathi;
======================================

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
I hope the winner isn't determined by this randomness :P

Magnus,

I am sorry to tell you that this task did in fact determine the winner of AR22. Max was unable to complete this task quickly enough, which caused a time deficit to Bate/Anthony which ultimately determined the race finish order.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
I hope the winner isn't determined by this randomness :P

Magnus,

I am sorry to tell you that this task did in fact determine the winner of AR22. Max was unable to complete this task quickly enough, which caused a time deficit to Bate/Anthony which ultimately determined the race finish order.

Yeah, the winner was determined by two random tasks. I've been to DC and there's a lot more mental tasks they could have done there.
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline Glamazon Racer

• "Expelliarmus"
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Don't wanna go to heaven without raising hell. ♥
All I have to say about the episode is that luck tasks have no place in finales imo.

On the bright side, Belfast was amazing. <3
I'd rather walk alone than let them throw dirty confetti. ♥

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
They got a montage! I actually can't believe they could make it this far! I thought they were over Leg 1

Those two babes have more brains and heart than the 2 roller derby hags. I thought they would win it all.  Too bad.

I find your remark totally offensive! Mona and Beth are age 33 and age 36 moms and the country singers are age 29 and 30 singles. I found Caroline and Jennifer not too swift but lucky enough to survive to the penultimate leg. Mona and Beth are not going to compete on looks but they clearly have more brains and much more athletic skill than the country singers. However, neither team is worth a damn on navigation, the most critical Amazing Race skill.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Of course, a boring team won this season. :res:

I still would like Mona & Beth to be the winners.

Boring? These guys were hilarious!

Boring!

Offline Jimmer

• Big Brother Sho2 Updater
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
All I have to say about the episode is that luck tasks have no place in finales imo.

100% agree!!!!

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
While the spec that the teams had a task in London turned out to be correct, I don't think anyone had the teams taking a ferry to Liverpool and then a taxi to London to get that clue that sent them to D.C.

I'm pretty sure Phil, Bert and Elise weren't taking the ferries to and from Northern Ireland. And that detour task involving the final meal served to first class passengers on the Titanic was difficult, especially if you didn't recognize the dishes being served for a particular course (10 courses in all!!!). That was really a tough task.

There were only 5 courses for the meal served under the tent:
1. Oysters for all
2. Soup (cream of barley or consomme)
3. Roast Squab and watercress with madeira jus
4. Asparagus Vinaigrette Salad
5. Dessert (peaches with chartreuse jelly or Waldorf pudding)

These are 5 of the courses (1, 2, 7, 8, 10) from the excellent actual list of the Titanic's last meal provided by Dr. Rox.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 01:27:03 PM by apskip »

Online RaceUntilWeDie

• RFF Frantic Poster
Oh - I was very surprised at how instead of immediately traveling to D.C they went to England(?) first. I missed that portion of the finale.

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
While the spec that the teams had a task in London turned out to be correct, I don't think anyone had the teams taking a ferry to Liverpool and then a taxi to London to get that clue that sent them to D.C.

I'm pretty sure Phil, Bert and Elise weren't taking the ferries to and from Northern Ireland. And that detour task involving the final meal served to first class passengers on the Titanic was difficult, especially if you didn't recognize the dishes being served for a particular course (10 courses in all!!!). That was really a tough task.

To me it was really good production scheduling. After the pit stop in Belfast, production had about 24 hours to get teams to Heathrow to fly to the US. The last flight on that Thur from Heathrow to Dulles was at 5 pm. So WRP had a chance to most everyone back to DC  before teams even arrived at the pub.......well except for the minders. That let them get a good night's sleep in DC before teams arrived. I did notice the ferrys, but I put more stock in the previous TAR 15 conference room at Heathrow, than doing surface transportation to seperate teams from production.
Matthew 7:15

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "For old time's sake..."
Well, I agree with Joab. In the end, the last leg was essentially a replay of the TAR 10 ending. Only this time it was a much more exciting Final 3 with potential for a great finish, only to see predictability reign supreme once more.

Here's the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly for the Finale:

The Good:
  • The Belfast leg was very well designed, featuring a good balance of smarts, luck, and physical skill that, in the end fulfilled its purpose in eliminating the team that was least qualified for the Final 3. Don't get me wrong here though: Caroline & Jennifer were a very likable team that definitely experienced what they were supposed to experience on the Race (see their elimination interview). But they were the weakest team overall (as I've said in the past, they should have been eliminated a long time ago), and probably the main reason Bates & Anthony didn't get U-turned at some point previously.
  • Despite the above, I loved seeing Caroline & Jennifer support each other up to the very end, and get eliminated deservingly but very positively as well. These two were a very positive team, and I respect them a lot more now.
  • I also enjoyed seeing a very real possibility of a comeback from Mona & Beth, which was really making me love the Final Leg. At least until...

The Bad:
  • Once Bates & Anthony passed Max & Katie, the Race was all over. The teams were absolutely and indefinitely set in their positions, making for a "snoozefest" (as Joab said) for the Final Leg.
  • The tasks were very poorly designed on Leg 11 (it's not 12 and I don't care what ANYBODY says on that matter). They were "eye candy" tasks that were meant merely to stimulate the average, casual tv viewer, while failing in every way to create excitement or unpredictability for me (a diehard TAR fan), or to separate the good racers from the great.

The Ugly:
  • Finally (and perhaps this should be a subset of the previous point), the unfulfilled promise to the teams that they would meet the president of the United States. Honestly, I don't know what to say about this. It is very unacceptable, not only to me, but to the teams as well! Turning something that ought to have been a momentous and historic moment into a non-memorable joke is no way to create a truly amazing experience for anyone involved. It also demeans the sacredness of the presidential office (yes, I said it was sacred, even despite the fact I don't respect the man in the office myself. Props to Max for recognizing that.), making it seem as though meeting the President of the United States is merely a cheap, gift-shop-type, tourist event. Conclusion: If you can't get the president to meet with the teams in person then scrap the task entirely, and get a much better one. This lameness could very easily have been avoided.

Okay, I'm done now. On to another great season in the Fall! :lol3:

Disclaimer: I'm sure my post will generate a lot of controversy, as my posts often do. Please remember that these are just my opinions, and there is obviously no real good reason why anyone has to agree with them. I state them without any intention of offending anyone. Remember that being offended is your own personal choice - I can't make you be offended. (Also, on that note, I did indeed choose to be offended about my "The Ugly" bullet-point above.) :lol:
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 05:12:17 PM by Hooky »
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly

There were only 5 courses for the meal served under the tent:
1. Oysters for all
2. Soup (cream of barley or consomme)
3. Roast Squab and watercress with madeira jus
4. Asparagus Vinaigrette Salad
5. Dessert (peaches with chartreuse jelly or Waldorf pudding)

These are 5 of the courses (1, 2, 7, 8, 10) from the excellent actual list of the Titanic's last meal provided by Dr. Rox.

The editors showed the full menu card of all ten courses that was on an easel under the tent. While teams only had to serve 5 of the ten courses, it looked like all ten were set out on the plates by the chefs for teams to work from. I'll be able to double-check once the I-Tunes download is available for these episodes, but I'm pretty certain the full menu with all ten courses was there for the teams to see.
-- theschnauzers

Offline Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • R.F.F. Game Host A.A.R.G. 11
Here's the menu card:

"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains - however improbable - must be the truth." - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

"No person deserves your tears, and who deserves them will not make you cry." - Gabriel García Márquez

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly

To me it was really good production scheduling. After the pit stop in Belfast, production had about 24 hours to get teams to Heathrow to fly to the US. The last flight on that Thur from Heathrow to Dulles was at 5 pm. So WRP had a chance to most everyone back to DC  before teams even arrived at the pub.......well except for the minders. That let them get a good night's sleep in DC before teams arrived. I did notice the ferrys, but I put more stock in the previous TAR 15 conference room at Heathrow, than doing surface transportation to seperate teams from production.

The good time planning was the result of using the slower mode of transportation to London for the teams, while production obviously flew out of Belfast to get to D.C. TAR loves using trains and ferries for the teams since that keeps them occu[ied while production flies ahead. Been true since season 1, folks. And in trying to reconstruct or even figure out things in real time, it is a principle that has to be keep in mind. TPTB will always use such transportation options for the teams if need be to get Phil ahead of the teams. The biggest change in the race course since the early seasons (dropping the "standard" 12 hour rest period and its multiples in favor of flex scheduling of rest periods at pit stops) seems to have been due to that particular issue of getting Phil ahead of the teams so he can film his stand ups and be at the pit stop before teams arrive.
-- theschnauzers

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
Here's the menu card:

I'm pretty sure the show also showed the full menu card with all ten courses listed, as well; as I recall, there were separate courses for beef, lamb, poultry, fisn, etc. on the full card. I wasn't able to record the show on the malfunctioning DVR last night, and I'm relying on the I-Tunes copy of each episode these days for my library of TAR episodes. (Ever since 13, in fact.)
-- theschnauzers

Offline zythr

• RFF Not So Newbie
Seasons over, Bates/Anthony, got their checks, on to the finale of Survivor, then these 2 shows are done for the season.

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City

The good time planning was the result of using the slower mode of transportation to London for the teams, while production obviously flew out of Belfast to get to D.C. TAR loves using trains and ferries for the teams since that keeps them occu[ied while production flies ahead. Been true since season 1, folks. And in trying to reconstruct or even figure out things in real time, it is a principle that has to be keep in mind. TPTB will always use such transportation options for the teams if need be to get Phil ahead of the teams. The biggest change in the race course since the early seasons (dropping the "standard" 12 hour rest period and its multiples in favor of flex scheduling of rest periods at pit stops) seems to have been due to that particular issue of getting Phil ahead of the teams so he can film his stand ups and be at the pit stop before teams arrive.

You actually missed my point completely. But teams did get to ride on the Caledonian train..just in the other direction that previously speculated.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 05:25:52 AM by DrRox »

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
Here's the menu card:

I'm pretty sure the show also showed the full menu card with all ten courses listed, as well; as I recall, there were separate courses for beef, lamb, poultry, fisn, etc. on the full card. I wasn't able to record the show on the malfunctioning DVR last night, and I'm relying on the I-Tunes copy of each episode these days for my library of TAR episodes. (Ever since 13, in fact.)

I watched that particulary segment very close and was disappointed that they didn't do the full 10 course meal. Gool luck finding any mention of the real 10 course meal on the program. I agree with Alenavada that TAR only used 5 courses and only showed 5 courses. Tis a pity really, they used mostly single choice courses, except for the soup course.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Here's the menu card:

theschnauzers,

What you see is what you get! I went over the menu poster quite carefully to see what what on it, which matched exactly with what teams served. I don't know if there were more than 5 courses in the prep area or not, but I doubt that you will be able to tell with iTunes. I suspect that your confusion may be due to remembering Dr. Rox's list of the actual Titanic last meal of 10 courses.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
There were at least 7 dishes being prepared, 5 courses with 2 courses (second and fifth) with either or, which teams will have to remember which dish is for which guest at the table.

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
The RMS Titanic sank in the early morning hours of April 15, 1912. On the hundred year anniversary, this event was celebrated/memoralized around the world. One of the ways this was done was for restaurants to serve the dinner menu in first class that was served on April 14, 1912. In my city, there had to have been at least 100 restaurants, at a minimum, advertizing that fact. Many of them posted the menu on their ads. When I saw the screen caps of Max and Katie with the trays at the graving dock, that is the first thing that came to my mind. Then seeing the white tents, aboe and below, confirmed it to me. Below is the full menu. The part bolded is the part of that menu that TAR/WRP used in this episode.

The First-Class Menu

As served in the first-class dining saloon of the R.M.S. Titanic on April 14, 1912

First Course
Hors D'Oeuvres-Oysters

Second Course
Consommé Olga
         or
Cream of Barley

Third Course
Poached Salmon with Mousseline Sauce, Cucumbers

Fourth Course
Filet Mignons Lili
Saute of Chicken, Lyonnaise
Vegetable Marrow Farci

Fifth Course
Lamb, Mint Sauce
Roast Duckling, Apple Sauce
Sirloin of Beef, Chateau Potatoes
Green Pea
Creamed Carrots
Boiled Rice
Parmentier & Boiled New Potatoes

Sixth Course
Punch Romaine

Seventh Course
Roast Squab & Cress

Eighth Course
Cold Asparagus Vinaigrette

Ninth Course
Pate de Foie Gras
Celery

Tenth Course
Waldorf Pudding
Peaches in Chartreuse Jelly

Chocolate & Vanilla Eclairs
French Ice Cream

We also know they plated some peaches with a red jelly. I really dont know what else they plated in the prep tent. I guess we need a person with some serious culinary training to look at screen caps and see what all was on those tables. Personally, it really doesn't interest me.

In the prep/plating tent, there two seating charts up on the wall. Obviously, the correct pattern for the 2nd and 5th courses, which had dual dishes.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 08:06:59 AM by DrRox »

Offline Leilani

• RFF Full Member
The only thing that I think was really unpredictable about this finale was that Bates & Anthony were so far ahead that production couldn't even edit it to look like it could be close.  They were able to edit things to make it look like the other teams had a chance of catching them at the ballpark and at the globes, but once Bates & Anthony left that task it was obvious they would win.  The whole "I hope we're going to the right place" comments in the cab was just lame.  The only way I could see them going to the wrong place would be if the cab driver didn't know where Mt. Vernon is.   

I wonder if production had a sense that all 3 teams wouldn't be at the globe task at the same time.  That ball pit looked awfully small for 3 adults to be able to do anything without banging into each other.  Although a little elbow throwing might have made it more exciting.

The Ugly:
  • Finally (and perhaps this should be a subset of the previous point), the unfulfilled promise to the teams that they would meet the president of the United States. Honestly, I don't know what to say about this. It is very unacceptable, not only to me, but to the teams as well! Turning something that ought to have been a momentous and historic moment into a non-memorable joke is no way to create a truly amazing experience for anyone involved. It also demeans the sacredness of the presidential office (yes, I said it was sacred, even despite the fact I don't respect the man in the office myself. Props to Max for recognizing that.), making it seem as though meeting the President of the United States is merely a cheap, gift-shop-type, tourist event. Conclusion: If you can't get the president to meet with the teams in person then scrap the task entirely, and get a much better one. This lameness could very easily have been avoided.

Okay, I'm done now. On to another great season in the Fall! :lol3:

Disclaimer: I'm sure my post will generate a lot of controversy, as my posts often do. Please remember that these are just my opinions, and there is obviously no real good reason why anyone has to agree with them. I state them without any intention of offending anyone. Remember that being offended is your own personal choice - I can't make you be offended. (Also, on that note, I did indeed choose to be offended about my "The Ugly" bullet-point above.) :lol:

When we saw the promo for this task my husband and I looked at each other and said "you've got to be kidding me" until we saw the pictures.  I suppose that was the only other surprising part of the show given that the Obamas can't seem to pass any opportunity to be on tv and Max finally said something I agree with.  Poor Mona and Beth either didn't notice that the clue said "1100 Pennsylvania Ave" or forgot that the white house is at 1600.

On a side note:  I love your disclaimer Hooky.   :lol3:

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
The only thing that I think was really unpredictable about this finale was that Bates & Anthony were so far ahead that production couldn't even edit it to look like it could be close.  They were able to edit things to make it look like the other teams had a chance of catching them at the ballpark and at the globes, but once Bates & Anthony left that task it was obvious they would win.  The whole "I hope we're going to the right place" comments in the cab was just lame.  The only way I could see them going to the wrong place would be if the cab driver didn't know where Mt. Vernon is.   

I wonder if production had a sense that all 3 teams wouldn't be at the globe task at the same time.  That ball pit looked awfully small for 3 adults to be able to do anything without banging into each other.  Although a little elbow throwing might have made it more exciting.
:

There were 3 globe pits and three display tents.........if that makes sense. Each team had their own. Just like in TAR 19, each team had their own wall to connect countries with the rope.