Author Topic: The Fall Out after Topaz votes for the wrong person and Jillian wins!  (Read 13536 times)

Offline ugot2bekidinmeny

• RFF's Goodwill Ambassador
  • I Live at RFF
  • No more wire hangers EVER!
Any news Articles that you find  regarding this controversy  can be posted here! :hello2:
zero, zilch, nada, nothing!

Offline ugot2bekidinmeny

• I Live at RFF
The Canadian Press - ONLINE EDITION
Controversy swirls over Jillian's win on the first-ever 'Big Brother Canada'

By: Cassandra Szklarski, The Canadian Press
Thursday, May. 2, 2013 at 10:02 PM | Comments: 0

TORONTO - There are no hanging chads, but controversy swirls over a questionable vote that has crowned a Nova Scotia teacher the first-ever "Big Brother Canada" champ.
Athletic brunette Jillian MacLaughlin scored four votes from a seven-member jury tasked with deciding between her and her flamboyant co-finalist Gary Levy.
She eked out a win thanks to a surprise nod from Levy's best friend Topaz Brady, who made it clear throughout Thursday's two-hour finale she was rooting for Levy.
Upon realizing she mistakenly voted for MacLaughlin instead, Brady pleaded with show bosses to allow her vote be changed — to no avail. The flap elicited cheers and jeers from the studio audience who quickly took sides with boisterous catcalls.

As a result, MacLaughlin claims a $100,000 prize, along with a Chevy Trax and a $25,000 gift card to The Brick. As runner-up, Levy gets a $20,000 cash prize.
The first-ever "Big Brother Canada" saw 15 houseguests confined to a camera-rigged house, with no contact with the outside world. It wrapped after 10 weeks on Thursday with a two-hour finale on Slice.

"(I'm) really excited, overwhelmed," the 27-year-old MacLaughlin said after the show taped, dismissing suggestions she didn't actually earn the votes needed.
"I know the production has been very strict on rules this season, I know that it's set myself and (fellow houseguest) Emmett (Blois) back in the game a fair bit, just by them being: 'Nope, rules are rules.' So rules are rules. Gary deserved this just as much as me, he played a great game but at the end of the day, the rules are rules and I ended up winning."
Backstage, Levy unleashed a bear hug on Brady, insisting he didn't hold any hard feelings over the outcome. Facing reporters backstage, he said he felt like a winner.

"I'm definitely a little bit disappointed, I came into this game to win," said Levy, who donned a glittering black and gold cocktail dress for the finale.
"But stuff happens and I still feel like I'm a winner no matter what."

Levy's allies were more outspoken in their assessment — pot-stirrer Peter Brown denounced the outcome with his trademark bluster.
"Jillian did not triumph over anything, she was rewarded by Topaz's mistake, an honest mistake," said Brown, flanked by his partner-in-crime Alec Beall, who dubbed their partnership "the Sheyld" (pronounced "Shield").

"Jillian did not deserve to win this game at all. Gary should have been the winner."
Brown's cohort Alec Beall agreed, stating "there will forever be an asterisk next to Jillian's name as the winner of 'Big Brother Canada' season 1."
"But that's drama, that's perfect for the show and future seasons, perhaps," said Beall.

The flap certainly added spice to the final moments of the finale.
"No. Someone switched it, please don't do this to me," Brady said to host Arisa Cox upon realizing her mistake.
"We were really, really clear," Arisa said apologetically.

Despite the controversy, MacLaughlin says the unexpected last-minute wrinkle doesn't taint her achievements.
"I don't care, anybody can say what they want to say about how I won this but I'm happy with my game and I'm proud of myself," said MacLaughlin, who won four "Head of Household" competitions.
"I definitely deserved to win this game as well. I played a good game, I played a hard game, I made big moves, I was a strong competitor, I'm happy with my game."

http://www.brandonsun.com/entertainment/breaking-news/controversy-swirls-over-jillians-win-on-the-first-ever-big-brother-canada-205905841.html?thx=y

Offline ugot2bekidinmeny

• I Live at RFF
A Post from Facebook

Offline Leafsfan.

• TAR Detective
  • RFF Moderator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
'Big Brother Canada's Jillian Wins After Topaz Vote Mishap

Fans sat in shock at the "Big Brother Canada" finale as Jillian took home the top spot over fan favourite Gary in the inaugural season of the reality show. The audience was absolutely deflated after a voting mishap by jury member Topaz. Live and jovial, the crowd was buzzing, but after the voting, the confetti fell, and it was nearly silent in the studio.

Since the end of the finale aired, the terms #BBCan, Topaz and Jillian have been trending on Twitter in Canada.

For the final vote, the jury members are supposed to vote for who they want to win, not who they want eliminated (as are the rules for all other votes). Topaz, who very clearly wanted to vote for Gary, instead submitted a vote for Jillian. After host Arisa Cox proclaimed that Topaz voted "Jillian," Topaz stood up, and yelled out, "No, no, no. Um ... no, I didn't!"

The audience gasped audibly at Cox's proclamation, and Topaz actually got up from her chair, stepped out of the enclosed jury pen and confronted the host, insisting that someone switched it or read it wrong. The audience began to chant, "Switch it! Switch it! Switch it!" and "Gary! Gary! Gary!" The show quickly cut to commercial.

Arisa Cox left the studio and emerged about five to 10 minutes later, but the show went on. The votes were not switched, and Topaz's vote counted towards Jillian's victory -- the New Glasgow, Nova Scotia native won with a 4-3 jury vote.

After spending 71 days in the "Big Brother Canada" house, Jillian emerged victorious as the first-ever "Big Brother Canada" winner.

This vote snafu is just the latest controversy this season -- "Big Brother Canada" has been fraught with twists and turns, including live feeds crashing, alleged cheating scandals and the bringing back of a contestant after he was eliminated.

The final three, Emmett, Jillian and Gary, certainly fought to the last minute. Here's hoping that next season provides the same level of excitement. We'll be there to cover it for you again.

Link to news story: http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/05/02/big-brother-canada-winner-jillian-topaz-season-1_n_3202417.html

Thanks Chris Jancelewicz
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 11:29:14 AM by Leafsfan »

Offline ugot2bekidinmeny

• I Live at RFF
The Morning After: ‘Big Brother Canada’ houseguests let loose

By John R. Kennedy, Global News

TORONTO — Hours after the shocking finale of Big Brother Canada, the houseguests were back in front of the cameras on Global’s The Morning Show.

Winner Jillian MacLaughlin and runner-up Gary Levy arrived separately from the other competitors, who pulled up to The Morning Show studio in downtown Toronto in a chartered bus.

Topaz Brady insisted she did not intentionally create drama by casting a ballot for MacLaughlin instead of Levy.

“This is not the kind of attention that I want,” said Brady. “I feel like I’m going to get so much negative feedback.”

Brady said she thought it was a joke when her vote was announced. “I was pro-Gary from day one of the show,” she said. “Obviously I wanted Gary [to win].”

Having being sequestered for the run of the reality show, houseguests AJ Burman, Andrew Monaghan and Peter Brown were quizzed on some of the news events and pop culture moments they missed.

Taken aback that Gwyneth Paltrow was named the World’s Most Beautiful Woman by People magazine, Burman asked, “What’s the world coming to?”

RELATED STORIES

‘Big Brother Canada’ crowns winner in controversial finale

All three players knew that the Toronto Maple Leafs made it into the playoffs, but only Monaghan knew Justin Trudeau was elected leader of the federal Liberal party.

See pics from the Big Brother Canada reunion on The Morning Show.

In another game on The Morning Show, three couples who had “show-mances” were quizzed about how well they know each other. Host Liza Fromer declared it a three-way tie, “unless Topaz, of course, you’d like to change your vote.”

MacLaughlin and all the houseguests reunited to join Big Brother Canada host Arisa Cox on the national edition of The Morning Show.

MacLaughlin said she had no idea she’d emerge the winner.

“When it was down to me and Gary I had no idea how it was going to work out,” said MacLaughlin. “I knew it was going to be close. I knew I had some votes but I knew I had a lot of people who may have held a grudge against me for some moves I made in the game.”

Watch the Big Brother Canada fun on The Morning Show:

© Shaw Media, 2013 TELEVISION

http://globalnews.ca/news/532563/the-morning-after-big-brother-canada-houseguests-let-loose/

There are 4 embedded videos I can't snag so click the link to watch them

Offline ugot2bekidinmeny

• I Live at RFF
Rob CesterninoReality Show Analyst, Two-Time 'Survivor' Contestant, Blogger at RobHasAWebsite.com

Big Brother Canada Finale Recap: Gary Loses, Jillian Wins (Thanks, Topaz)

WOW! After ten weeks, Big Brother Canada ends not with a bang or a whimper but a collective gasp of "WTF?" On a night which should have culminated with Gary screeching through a storm of glitter and confetti, we instead were left with one of reality TV's most bizarre moments.

In case you haven't heard it by now or seen the clip on YouTube [ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKknjGafT6c ] Big Brother jury member, Topaz, unwittingly cast the deciding vote to win the game for the wrong person. Instead of voting for her best friend in the game (Gary), she somehow voted for his opponent in the final two, Jillian. The woman famous for sleeping through most of Big Brother Canada had now officially fallen asleep at the switch.

Up until Topaz's vote was revealed, the night belonged to Gary. The underdog in the Big Brother game, and in life, looked poised to become the first winner of Big Brother Canada. Gary won the final HoH and evicted the odds-on favourite to win, Emmett, from the game. On a week when Jason Collins came out as a gay man in the NBA, Gary was equally as eloquent with the jury when he spoke to the audience about growing up as a young man who was clearly different than everybody else around him.

After almost two hours filled with umpteen highlight reels of all of the wackiest moments from this season, the most absurd moment was yet to come. After Arisa Cox revealed Topaz's vote, Topaz stormed the stage. She demanded a recount and accused someone of switching her vote (was it just me or did it look like she went directly to Dan Gheesling sitting in the front row?). Arisa Cox threw the show to an impromptu commercial so the judges could make their decision, but it was clear that no foul play had occurred. It was simply a case of Topaz concentrating so hard at getting her witty voting barb against Jillian out that she didn't concentrate on the task at hand and gave the game to Jillian.

While I'm confident most people today will be making the case that Gary got robbed of his rightful victory, I will not be beating that same drum. While I rooted for Gary to win once he returned, Jillian also played a strong game, whether or not the jury members saw it that way. She got more blood on her hands than you would ideally like to see, and she relied heavily on her showmance partner, Emmett -- but isn't that what made them a successful alliance? While Jillian was rather unremarkable as a finalist in dealing with the questions from the jury, it's never easy trying to win over a small but angry mob. While it's clear that Gary should have won the game, Jillian is still a worthy winner of the title.

I don't mean to slight Gary but I don't feel bad for him at all. Gary was voted out of the game once and came back because of a twist. While it would have been great to see him make history, somehow it seems karmic that an act from the reality TV gods cost him his chance to win.

Gary made $20,000 for second place as well (In U.S. Big Brother, second place only gets $50,000 which is 10 percent of the grand prize -- as opposed to second place on Big Brother Canada which is 20 percent of the grand prize). Gary is beloved by his fans. Most importantly, Gary is the ultimate winner of Big Brother Canada. Gary became a star over the last few weeks ... or at the very least, a reality star. While reality TV fame can be especially fleeting, I do feel like Gary will have any opportunity that he'd like to pursue, whether it be for his own financial gain or to continue to fight for the acceptance of all types of people.

I don't claim to know Gary particularly well, but I think in some ways this was the perfect ending for his story. Instead of the narrative being about him winning, which would have always had it's own asterisk due to him getting a second chance at the game, Gary's story completely changes. Everybody will hear about this story and learn about Gary and he will become more famous for this. Gary Levy didn't become Gary Glitter to not be a celebrity. Now that he's gotten his wish, it's going to be interesting to see what the next chapter holds for him. While many Big Brother fans will lament the crown Gary could have won, his supporters ought to remember that all that glitters isn't gold.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/rob-cesternino/big-brother-canada-finale-recap_b_3206278.html

Offline ugot2bekidinmeny

• I Live at RFF
A foiled plot: 'Anyone but Jillian' explained by Peter and weighed in on by Jillian

The final voting gong show during the Big Brother Canada finale may have been the talk around the water cooler today, but the more interesting story lies in the reason for the votes Gary Levy did receive and the foiled plot against the eventual winner.

Alec Beall and Peter Brown were both sent packing by the hand of the HOH queen Jillian Maclaughlin. Both of them considered themselves the masterminds of the game and far superior to the other houseguests. Unfortunately for them they were 7the and 5th evicted from the house. Not too shabby, but by no means as good as they claimed they were.

Peter and Alec were a little annoyed that they were not able to mind control everyone into keeping them in the house until the end and decided that they would get their revenge on the person that sent them packing.

After Peter made the comment about Jillian being an 'idiot and awful player' during the finale, I decided to inquire to where his hatred stemmed from. I mean, Peter realized this was a game right? No one killed his dog or anything. Jillian did what she needed to do, and yes, that was getting out him and Alec.

AJ, Alec, Topaz and Peter at the Jury House
I inquired with Peter who he had wanted to win after he got voted out of the house and that's when the plot was revealed. Not only did they (they being Alec, Peter, Topaz and AJ) have a plan to give the prize to the most (depending on how you look at it) undeserving person in the house the prize, but they also had an 'anyone but Jillian' philosophy.
"I wanted Talla to win and we were all going to form a jury alliance to make sure that Talla won over Emmett and Jillian," said Peter.
"We wanted to steal the game back from them and give it to us an award it to Talla because she tried her heart out the entire time and couldn't win a darn thing. We just wanted to award her with being so endearingly annoying."
Seriously Peter? This is your rationalization for wanting Talla to win - being endearingly annoying?  And "stealing the game back" seems like a strange thing for someone to try to do who is...not playing anymore.

He continues...
"The game did not stop in the jury house. Especially if you have Alec and I in there. We were working all day everyday because that's what we came here to do and we established that if Talla was in a final two scenario with Emmett or Jillian she was going to win," said Peter
"There was going to be a little bit of a kerfuffle if she was there with Gary because Topaz obviously wanted to vote for Gary, but I think that even still Talla may have won. It would have been hilarious and very much worth watching."
At this point it sounded like they wanted anyone but Jillian or Emmett to win. Was this the case?
"It was anyone but Jillian. Nobody wanted Jillian to win except for Andrew, but that's because he is in love with her," said Peter
"I liked Emmett and I think he is a great player and I would have voted for him over Jillian, but not over Gary. Our rational was Jillian would want Emmett to win and therefore we would deprive her of that and award it to Gary, among other reasons."
We wouldn't give Emmett money because that would make Jillian happy? Oh. My. Lord.

So that's where I left the situation with Peter. I would love to hear Alec's take on the situation because I am sure he would spin it as some sort of ridiculous thing that he would assume people would eat up like chocolate.

A little while later I talked to Jillian. Probably a little bit of a tough night for her - a very bittersweet win. I'd have felt guilty if I won due to a screwed vote, but luckily for her she had heard of the 'anyone but Jillian' plan that the jury members were plotting.

I would be THRILLED if I found that out and had won the way Jillian did. I'd think of it as karma and go put a down payment on a house (or buy one...I don't think they're drastically expensive in Nova Scotia).

When I asked Jillian about the votes for and against her she started telling me what I had heard from Peter an hour before...
"I think the jury house may or may not have had an alliance against me that involved Peter, Alec, Topaz and AJ," said Jillian.
"They all got kind of a thing where they did not want me to win it. No one has told me this 100%, but I know they were all in the jury house for a long time together and there's a lot of talking going on. Peter and Alec wanted to get me back in any way they could. They were really bitter about how I got them both out. So, they decided to really push for me not to win this game."
So what do we think...Peter and Alec are the poorest of poor sports in the history of this game, OR were they just so attached to it that they decided to continue the mind control once they were out and that is completely acceptable?

http://www.xoxojes.com/2013/05/a-foiled-plot-anyone-but-jillian.html

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • RFF Assistant Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • So much to watch, so little time!
WOW! What an ending. What an amazingly bizarre ending!
The choices we make dictate the life we lead.