December 21, 2014, 03:49:55 PM

Author Topic: TAR Canada 2: Ep 12 FINALE "Who's Da Bomb?" September 21 8PM  (Read 2618 times)

Offline SuperTux

• RFF Frantic Poster
Re: TAR Canada 2: Ep 12 FINALE "Who's Da Bomb?" September 21 8PM
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2014, 07:36:19 PM »
Well did Jon say "4 countries" at the final pitstop?  :res:

I don't see a problem with that.

Wikipedia defines a "country" as

A country is a region identified as a distinct entity in political geography. A country may be an independent sovereign state or one that is occupied by another state, as a non-sovereign or formerly sovereign political division, or a geographic region associated with sets of previously independent or differently associated peoples with distinct political characteristics.

So its not out unreasonable to classify Macau and Hong Kong as countries!

So I could say Texas is a country and P.E.I is one too. :)
好像用中文做签名档会比较酷。

Offline Air

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Chinsanity
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2014, 07:45:55 PM »

A country is a region identified as a distinct entity in political geography. A country may be an independent sovereign state or one that is occupied by another state, as a non-sovereign or formerly sovereign political division, or a geographic region associated with sets of previously independent or differently associated peoples with distinct political characteristics.

Hong Kong is an SAR, which is not comparable to Texas or PEI, because they are comparable to Guangdong or Jiangsu.
Lee Lin Chin - National Treasure

Offline SuperTux

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2014, 11:21:03 PM »

Hong Kong is an SAR, which is not comparable to Texas or PEI, because they are comparable to Guangdong or Jiangsu.

But before Texas became a state of the US in 1845, it was a sovereign nation (The Republic of Texas, 1836-1845).

Plus, the SAR refers to a closer relationship than that between Scotland and England, for instance.
好像用中文做签名档会比较酷。

Offline Air

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Chinsanity
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2014, 11:29:31 PM »

But before Texas became a state of the US in 1845, it was a sovereign nation (The Republic of Texas, 1836-1845).

Plus, the SAR refers to a closer relationship than that between Scotland and England, for instance.

...your Texas argument is irrelevant because it's a state and does not have the same degree of autonomy as an autonomous republic would...such as the SAR :lol:

Also no SAR-PRC is different to Scotland-England, because Scotland-England share things like democracy and multiparty states,  whereas the SAR-PRC, only one does. Unless you can prove otherwise, I call bs on that too.
Lee Lin Chin - National Treasure

Offline SuperTux

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2014, 12:40:58 AM »

...your Texas argument is irrelevant because it's a state and does not have the same degree of autonomy as an autonomous republic would...such as the SAR :lol:

Also no SAR-PRC is different to Scotland-England, because Scotland-England share things like democracy and multiparty states,  whereas the SAR-PRC, only one does. Unless you can prove otherwise, I call bs on that too.

Please peruse the definition of the word "country" provided by Wikipedia cited by Leafsfan. I define Texas as a country because it's concordant with the condition "as a non-sovereign or formerly sovereign political division."

Both Canada and the US are federal countries which I reckon every state has some certain autonomy, unlike unitary-government-type nations.

Pertaining to sharing the ethos of democracy, I don't see it in the definition, hence I don't think it has anything to do in defining a country.

P.S. Now the Wikipedia page of The Amazing Race Canada 2 says the number of the countries visited is 3. It's much safer to say in this way I guess.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 12:45:09 AM by SuperTux »
好像用中文做签名档会比较酷。

Offline walkingpneumonia

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Moderator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2014, 01:53:16 PM »

Please peruse the definition of the word "country" provided by Wikipedia cited by Leafsfan. I define Texas as a country because it's concordant with the condition "as a non-sovereign or formerly sovereign political division."

Both Canada and the US are federal countries which I reckon every state has some certain autonomy, unlike unitary-government-type nations.

Pertaining to sharing the ethos of democracy, I don't see it in the definition, hence I don't think it has anything to do in defining a country.

P.S. Now the Wikipedia page of The Amazing Race Canada 2 says the number of the countries visited is 3. It's much safer to say in this way I guess.

Just to add some fuel to the fire... they did visit Quebec (Montreal) - maybe Jon was attempting to appease the separatists by counting Quebec as a country.  :stirtp:
From there to here, and here to there,
funny things are everywhere

Offline Leafsfan

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2014, 02:00:09 PM »
 :o that would be an interesting turn of events.
Map Maker (Just Pm me!)

Custom Search