Author Topic: TAR 22 EP 11 (Belfast) "Beacon of Hope"  (Read 48442 times)

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
Re: TAR 22 EP 11 (Belfast) "Beacon of Hope"
« Reply #75 on: May 02, 2013, 03:31:23 PM »
Looks like a very tricky detour. Person on the top tent has to look at ordering chart on wall for each course and then place them in that order on tray. Then give tray to table waiter to server people at table........should provide a lot of laughs for us.
Matthew 7:15

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #76 on: May 02, 2013, 03:38:08 PM »
Why is Anthony saying the course is Chartreuse?? What is the connection? Is there any connection with a race course memory task here? ???
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #77 on: May 02, 2013, 03:47:03 PM »
Why is Anthony saying the course is Chartreuse?? What is the connection? Is there any connection with a race course memory task here? ???

On the orginal 1912 menu........."peaches in chartreuse jelly" was the 10th course. Chartreuse is a french liqour, made at a monastary up in the alps

The First-Class Menu

As served in the first-class dining saloon of the R.M.S. Titanic on April 14, 1912

First Course
Hors D'Oeuvres
 Oysters
Second Course
Consommé Olga
 Cream of Barley
Third Course
Poached Salmon with Mousseline Sauce, Cucumbers
Fourth Course
Filet Mignons Lili
 Saute of Chicken, Lyonnaise
 Vegetable Marrow Farci
Fifth Course
Lamb, Mint Sauce
 Roast Duckling, Apple Sauce
 Sirloin of Beef, Chateau Potatoes
 Green Pea
 Creamed Carrots
 Boiled Rice
 Parmentier & Boiled New Potatoes
Sixth Course
Punch Romaine
Seventh Course
Roast Squab & Cress
Eighth Course
Cold Asparagus Vinaigrette
Ninth Course
Pate de Foie Gras
 Celery
Tenth Course
Waldorf Pudding
 Peaches in Chartreuse Jelly
 Chocolate & Vanilla Eclairs
 French Ice Cream
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 03:59:34 PM by DrRox »

Offline Belle Book

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • CONGRATULATIONS TO NAT & KAT, WINNERS OF TAR 17!
« Reply #78 on: May 02, 2013, 05:10:00 PM »
Looks like a very tricky detour. Person on the top tent has to look at ordering chart on wall for each course and then place them in that order on tray. Then give tray to table waiter to server people at table........should provide a lot of laughs for us.

It should be fun -- at least for those who are watching.  Most people don't know much about the first-class menus, so it would be tough for the teams.

Offline kshel

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #79 on: May 02, 2013, 05:19:45 PM »
I'm not sure about in December, but at the moment there are only two sailings from Troon to Larne which is 11:30 and 19:30.

Peatlands Park outside Dungannon is about 30 minutes outside Belfast.

I think the Troon-Larne route is seasonal.

Yes, Troon is seasonal - thats my home town and I now live in the next town along. as far as I know it wasn't running in December, and its also a small town, if there had been camera crews running about from train station to ferry port,  I'm sure I'd have seen in mentioned on facebook by a friend or something..

MrDeerShank

« Reply #80 on: May 02, 2013, 05:26:47 PM »
If teams are taking a train t Southern Scotland, it would make sense teams take a train(s) to Cairnryan near Dumfries and then take a ferry to Belfast

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #81 on: May 02, 2013, 06:28:31 PM »
From looking at the screencaps of Beth in the plating tent, it appears that they have a seating chart for who gets what for each course at the table.  Looking past her at the tables, it appears the food is all mixed up and individual plates do not appear to be labled. That really seems to be the key to the task, figuring out just what is on the plate......lol

Offline NickNaTaw

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #82 on: May 02, 2013, 11:28:29 PM »
Can anyone tell who is ahead based on the sneak peak caps? From what I can tell, and I am by no means any good at this, it looks as though the sun is set more with Mona/Beth whereas the sun is much higher in the sky for Bates/Anthony. This leads me to believe that Bates/Anthony are ahead of Mona/Beth at this point in the leg.

But we can also tell that Mona and Bates are standing side-by-side in the very first preview. And it looks to be the same task.

I don't know... just my $0.02.

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #83 on: May 03, 2013, 06:21:28 AM »
If teams are taking a train t Southern Scotland, it would make sense teams take a train(s) to Cairnryan near Dumfries and then take a ferry to Belfast
Mr. DS,
Check the Transportation thread for the schedule. I happen to agree with you. Of 3 possibilities (I am not willing to discount 2 daily ferries from Troon to Larme although they either may not have existed or were very unlikely), Cairnryan to Belfast is the most probable ferry route.

Offline amazing1604

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #84 on: May 04, 2013, 03:26:56 AM »
Beacon of Hope is also a statue in Belfast. Kind of strange putting a name of a statue as a title quote. :res:

Pit Stop Location maybe? :hoot: It's located at the Thanksgiving Square

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #85 on: May 04, 2013, 06:03:08 AM »
I predict this is the context of the quote

Team #3 Member: Look behind you!
Team #4 Member 1: Look!
Team #4 Member 2: This gives us a Beacon of Hope.

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Fearless of ticket agents - too hot to be handled!
« Reply #86 on: May 04, 2013, 08:14:50 AM »
Beacon of Hope is also a statue in Belfast. Kind of strange putting a name of a statue as a title quote. :res:

Very likely for a Pit Stop or a clue box.

Is there any chance teams will go to Castlewellan Forest Park's peace hedge maze, one of the largest permanent mazes in the world? I don't think I remember seeing a hedge maze task on TAR.
<3 Family, friends, food, freedom...FULFILLED <3
Countries "raced": Greece (2019), Italy (2017), Switzerland (2017), Taiwan (2016), U.S. (WA 2013, CA [S.F. 2014, L.A. 2023], TX 2021, IL all the time)

Offline Air

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • oh you speak french? oh man that's deep
« Reply #87 on: May 04, 2013, 08:25:23 AM »

Is there any chance teams will go to Castlewellan Forest Park's peace hedge maze, one of the largest permanent mazes in the world? I don't think I remember seeing a hedge maze task on TAR.

TAR10 Spain ringing any bells?

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Fearless of ticket agents - too hot to be handled!
« Reply #88 on: May 04, 2013, 08:56:54 AM »

TAR10 Spain ringing any bells?
Oh yeah! :oh What caused Dustin & Kandice's disappointing elimination. I didn't remember seeing it on TV, but I visualized TAR solving a hedge maze during one of the TAR6-10 seasons. Thanks.
<3 Family, friends, food, freedom...FULFILLED <3
Countries "raced": Greece (2019), Italy (2017), Switzerland (2017), Taiwan (2016), U.S. (WA 2013, CA [S.F. 2014, L.A. 2023], TX 2021, IL all the time)

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #89 on: May 04, 2013, 09:50:53 AM »
Oh yeah! :oh What caused Dustin & Kandice's disappointing elimination. I didn't remember seeing it on TV, but I visualized TAR solving a hedge maze during one of the TAR6-10 seasons. Thanks.

RachelLeVega,

Your assessment of what caused Dustin and Kandice's elimination at the end of AR10, ep. 12 is not accurate. Here's the way I remember it:
1. Dustin and Kandice missed the sign for entry into North Africa Horse Ranch and Olive Farm and finished 4th in ep. 11, being saved by an NEL but receiving the Marked for Elimination penalty requiring them to finish first in leg 12 or suffer a 30 minute penalty.
2. Dustin and Kandice got a lead by finishing first in the ROADBLOCK in Casablanca to eat a barbecued ground camel burger, but this got wiped away by a bunch for the flight to Barcelona that all 4 teams got.
3. The maze was the first task in Barcelona and Dustin/Kandice and did not lose significant time versus other teams there.
4. On the DETOUR Dustin and Kandice made a huge mistake. They chose the plodding DETOUR Lug It where no luck was possible instead of the DETOUR Lob It, the infamous recreation of the La Tomatina Festival, which was all luck. That may have given them an opportunity to get ahead by up to 30 minutes.
5. Dustin and Kandice not only didn't finish first, they finished last. This eliminated them on reaching the pit stop on Montjuic.

This was a great team who make one decision of omission in not double-checking the 4 mile distance from Cafe Pirgola for finding the sign and one decision of commission in their choice of the non-luck DETOUR.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 12:18:05 PM by apskip »

Offline Tarfan37

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #90 on: May 04, 2013, 11:40:08 PM »
There was also a maze task S5 in dallas

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #91 on: May 05, 2013, 06:40:00 AM »
There was also a maze task S5 in dallas the stockyards in Fort Worth.

Fixed that for you. Ft Worth really doesn't like to be confused/associated with Dallas.

Offline TARFansurvivor

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #92 on: May 06, 2013, 10:06:59 AM »
They did not feature Giants causeway.  :'( :'( :'( :'(
Love The Amazing Race, The Apprentice and Survivor.

Offline kshel

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #93 on: May 06, 2013, 12:44:05 PM »
Gutted. As I predicted to get to Stranraer, they'd have gone Edinburgh Waverly to Glasgow Queen Street and the Glasgow Queen Street to Ayr, then Ayr to Stranraer. Meaning they passed right through both my current home town and my old home town on the train.. I want to cry a little!

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #94 on: May 06, 2013, 03:38:55 PM »
Gutted. As I predicted to get to Stranraer, they'd have gone Edinburgh Waverly to Glasgow Queen Street and the Glasgow Queen Street to Ayr, then Ayr to Stranraer. Meaning they passed right through both my current home town and my old home town on the train.. I want to cry a little!
kshel,

I know that you are local, but timetables generally are reliable sources of information. ScotRail's route maps and timetable show that trains to Glasgow can originate from all 3 of Edinburgh's rail stations, Waverly, Haymarket and Park. Although you can get off at Glasqow-Queen St., why would you want to? Trains for Stanraer depart from Glasgow-Central, so that would be the best Glasgow station to journey to. The Stanraer train does go through Ayr, but you do not get off and change there.

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #95 on: May 06, 2013, 04:03:23 PM »

kshel,

I know that you are local, but timetables generally are reliable sources of information. ScotRail's route maps and timetable show that trains to Glasgow can originate from all 3 of Edinburgh's rail stations, Waverly, Haymarket and Park. Although you can get off at Glasqow-Queen St., why would you want to? Trains for Stanraer depart from Glasgow-Central, so that would be the best Glasgow station to journey to. The Stanraer train does go through Ayr, but you do not get off and change there.

It is impossible to ride a train betwen Glasgow Queen Street Station and Glasgow Central...without going almost all the way back to Haymarket. There is no direct track betwen them. They are only 5-6 blocks apart in downtown Glasgow. ScotRail intinerary for trips to the ferry ports is to ride to Glasgow Queen Street Station and then walk to Glasgow Central Station. They actually allow 45 minutes for this transfer.

There are two mainlines from Edinburgh to Glasgow. One goes north of the Clyde  to Queen Street Station. The other goes south of the Clyde and terminates in Glasgow Central. Glasgow Central mainly connects to all points south....Manchester, LIverpool etc. While Glasgow Queen Street connects to points north in Scotland.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #96 on: May 07, 2013, 06:42:57 AM »

kshel,

It is impossible to ride a train betwen Glasgow Queen Street Station and Glasgow Central...without going almost all the way back to Haymarket. There is no direct track betwen them. They are only 5-6 blocks apart in downtown Glasgow. ScotRail intinerary for trips to the ferry ports is to ride to Glasgow Queen Street Station and then walk to Glasgow Central Station. They actually allow 45 minutes for this transfer.

There are two mainlines from Edinburgh to Glasgow. One goes north of the Clyde  to Queen Street Station. The other goes south of the Clyde and terminates in Glasgow Central. Glasgow Central mainly connects to all points south....Manchester, LIverpool etc. While Glasgow Queen Street connects to points north in Scotland.

I have gone back to the Glasgow area route map and I do see an orange line for "bus/interlink services" connecting Queen St. with Central station.

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #97 on: May 07, 2013, 07:49:23 AM »
The RMS Titanic sank in the early morning hours of April 15, 1912. On the hundred year anniversary, this event was celebrated/memoralized around the world. One of the ways this was done was for restaurants to serve the dinner menu in first class that was served on April 14, 1912. In my city, there had to have been at least 100 restaurants, at a minimum, advertizing that fact. Many of them posted the menu on their ads. When I saw the screen caps of Max and Katie with the trays at the graving dock, that is the first thing that came to my mind. Then seeing the white tents, aboe and below, confirmed it to me. Below is the full menu. The part bolded is the part of that menu that TAR/WRP used in this episode.

The First-Class Menu

As served in the first-class dining saloon of the R.M.S. Titanic on April 14, 1912

First Course
Hors D'Oeuvres-Oysters

Second Course
Consommé Olga
        or
Cream of Barley

Third Course
Poached Salmon with Mousseline Sauce, Cucumbers

Fourth Course
Filet Mignons Lili
Saute of Chicken, Lyonnaise
Vegetable Marrow Farci

Fifth Course
Lamb, Mint Sauce
Roast Duckling, Apple Sauce
Sirloin of Beef, Chateau Potatoes
Green Pea
Creamed Carrots
Boiled Rice
Parmentier & Boiled New Potatoes

Sixth Course
Punch Romaine

Seventh Course
Roast Squab & Cress

Eighth Course
Cold Asparagus Vinaigrette

Ninth Course
Pate de Foie Gras
Celery

Tenth Course
Waldorf Pudding
Peaches in Chartreuse Jelly

Chocolate & Vanilla Eclairs
French Ice Cream
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 07:56:44 AM by DrRox »

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #98 on: May 07, 2013, 08:43:36 AM »
From DirectFerries.com      combined rail/ferry trip from Edinburgh to Belfast.

Journey summary
Outward Journey (05 Sep 2013)   
05:55 Edinburgh Waverley
06:49 Glasgow Queen Street Train 
SCOTRAIL  00h 54 (duration)

Calling Points 
06:49 Glasgow Queen Street
07:30 Glasgow Central Walk  n/a  00h 41

07:30 Glasgow Central
08:23 Ayr Station Train  SCOTRAIL  00h 53

Calling Points 
08:40 Ayr Station
09:55 Cairnryan Bus  SCOTRAIL  01h 15

11:30 Cairnryan
13:45 Belfast Port N.I. Ferry  SCOTRAIL  02h 15

13:45 Belfast Port N.I.
14:45 Belfast Central Transfer  n/a  01h 00

I will say that this is just an example of the ScotRail intinerary from Edinburgh to Belfast. All the other connections had the same amount of travel time. We do know that teams arrived at the ferry terminal in Cairnryan and had to spend several hours there waiting for the first or second ferry of the day. As apskip said, this was probably a schedule imposed upon the teams by production, probably to allow time for all the different crews to be ready for the teams arrival in Northern Ireland for daytime filming conditions.

I actually sent ScotRail an email and asked about the bus from Ayr to Stranraer. In thier reply, they explained that that they did not have an agreement with the company that actually owned the track from Ayr to Stranraer and therefore could not book that section as train travel. Teams bought tickets from a different source than ScotRail apparently and got the complete train ride to the Stranraer station.

My google earth says it is 6 miles from Stranraer to Cairnryan...the ferry terminal is not quite that far....maybe 5 miles.......so that is why teams took taxis. Who wants to run/walk 5 miles at 3 am or so in the morning? 

Offline Mattjimf

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #99 on: May 13, 2013, 03:26:16 AM »

kshel,

I have gone back to the Glasgow area route map and I do see an orange line for "bus/interlink services" connecting Queen St. with Central station.
There is a shuttle bus that goes from Buchannan St Bus station-Queen Street-Central Station-Airport every 10 minutes, which is probably the Orange line, but it's every 10 minutes and if you miss one, it's probably easier to walk (done the route myself when travelling to London/Ayr via Glasgow, not so much fun with a puppy and lots of bags!).

As mentioned in the Transportation thread, there are straight-through trains to Stranraer that you can book on the Scotrail website, so god knows what they were going on about in the email.

Only certain Scotrail trains travel straight to Glasgow Central (seems to be one an hour) with more regular trains terminating at Queen Street.