Author Topic: TAR 22 Ep 7 "Be Safe and Don't Hit a Cow"  (Read 71692 times)

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: TAR 22 Ep 7 "Be Safe and Don't Hit a Cow"
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2013, 03:42:18 PM »
The Boteti River runs through Maun and on into the Okavango Delta. On the other side of the Delta, the flows out consolidate from 3 prongs into one Okavango River. I expect that the water skiing was on the Boteti River and not the Okavango River.

In fact, I found this:

Meno A Kwena is an old-style safari camp, run by David Dugmore, an experienced guide with a real passion for Botswana's bush and for community development . It is situated on tribal land on a cliff edge overlooking the Boteti River, which began to flow again in late 2008, having been dry for over 15 years. The name Meno A Kwena is the local name for the area, which translates as 'teeth of the crocodile'.

Meno A Kwena's relaxed atmosphere, warm welcome and the team's keen interest in the surrounding area and its wildlife shine through – as does the hands-on approach of the camp's committed owner and managers. It won't be to everyone's liking – it's fairly rustic, and if you are travelling to Botswana for a pure big-game experience then it's tempting to say Meno A Kwena will not be for you. The return of water to the Boteti has started to change the dynamic here however and often game-viewing from the camp is as good as it is from the vehicle.

Looking at the bigger picture, Meno exists right on the transition zone between the unique Okavango Delta region of the Kalahari and the more typical, dryer regions further south - it's this location which makes it special. So, if you are keen to experience something slightly different from the norm with a rather quirky feel and an emphasis on the human side of life in Botswana as well as the wildlife, Meno is certainly worth a visit for at least a couple of nights. 
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 03:45:24 PM by apskip »

Offline Mattjimf

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2013, 03:50:40 PM »
Well I predicted donkeys in the Any Signs for Memory Challenge in the Final thread

Offline supah

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2013, 04:07:38 PM »
My money is on the 'water-skiing' to be our first Fast Forward of the season :tup:

Offline maf

• RFF TAR Chronicler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2013, 04:23:31 PM »
The special thanks are what you would expect--except for Roger Dugmore, which may have something to do with next week.

Or perhaps they provided the cars teams drove?

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2013, 04:33:04 PM »
See the information in the ep. 7 thread. Dugmore owns the Meno A Kwena Safari Camp, which was the pit stop.

Offline Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • R.F.F. Game Host A.A.R.G. 11
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2013, 04:59:56 PM »
The owner of the Safari Camp is Roger's brother, David; so that should be the connection.  Besides, his tented safaris - Roger's is owner of "Roger Dugmore Safaris" - have similar style of tents as the one in the background of Pam & Winnie confessional.

"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains - however improbable - must be the truth." - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

"No person deserves your tears, and who deserves them will not make you cry." - Gabriel García Márquez

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2013, 05:43:29 PM »
Here is the location of the speed trap:  just outside Maun   :lol3:

Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2013, 05:43:45 PM »
And here is the Police Station:   Maun Police HQ

Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2013, 06:39:13 PM »
The Boteti River runs through Maun and on into the Okavango Delta. On the other side of the Delta, the flows out consolidate from 3 prongs into one Okavango River. I expect that the water skiing was on the Boteti River and not the Okavango River.

Then you would be wrong.   :o

Here is the location of the crocodile water skiing:  Thamalakane River, 8 miles northeast of Maun

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2013, 06:43:45 PM »
Travelers seem to love to take sunset pictures here.  Lots of them!  (Panoramio)

Sunset at Thamalakane River

Offline Plaidmoon

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2013, 06:44:12 PM »
That location on the Thamalakane River is in the same general area where I was getting some hits for Mokoro Station, so that makes sense.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2013, 08:18:43 PM »
How close are we to Royal Tree Lodge here? (GE still lists it as Motsentsela Tree Lodge I think)

From the Elise post:

For this episode, we spent time at the Royal Tree Game Reserve outside the city of Maun. It's easy to feel at one with nature when you're sleeping in a wonderful tent under the stars on a private reserve on the banks of the Thamalakane River.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • R.F.F. Game Host A.A.R.G. 11
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2013, 08:48:06 PM »
How close are we to Royal Tree Lodge here? (GE still lists it as Motsentsela Tree Lodge I think)

From the Elise post:

For this episode, we spent time at the Royal Tree Game Reserve outside the city of Maun. It's easy to feel at one with nature when you're sleeping in a wonderful tent under the stars on a private reserve on the banks of the Thamalakane River.

I found the Royal Tree Lodge site, and has this map.  It has marked the place,  and I add Maun and what I hope is the correct river.

"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains - however improbable - must be the truth." - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

"No person deserves your tears, and who deserves them will not make you cry." - Gabriel García Márquez

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2013, 09:20:46 PM »
The Royal Tree Lodge and the Water Skiing launch point are far apart (12.5 miles).  But, upon close inspection you can see that the helicopter footage of the Donkey Task is located near at the Royal Tree Lodge  :lol3:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2013, 09:53:19 PM »
Nice work!!!

What is this place please?? Is it named????

RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2013, 10:38:10 PM »
Matlapaneng ?

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2013, 10:48:16 PM »

Then you would be wrong.   :o

Here is the location of the crocodile water skiing:  Thamalakane River, 8 miles northeast of Maun
Chateau,
I guess where the Thalamakane flows and when it becomes the Boteti River is open to some differences depending on your source. Here is one I have discovered after additional research on this subject:

Great Places Physical Geography by Dr. Cecil Keen July 2007

2 parallel faults now control the direction in which the Okavango River enters the Kalahari Basin, in an area called the Panhandle. Other faults also direct its exit from the Delta, flowing south into the ocean of sand. As the Okavango flows over the Gomare Fault, a continuation of the Great Rift Valley of east Africa, that runs southwest to northeast, the slope of the land breaks it up into numerous channels, which fan outwards over the Delta. These are blocked by 2 southern faults, the Kunyere and the Thalamakane, which redirect the Delta's myriad channels. The Thalamakane Fault acts as a 150-mile-long natural dam: Here the channels abruptly change direction and join to form one river, the Boteti, which flows eastwards through a break in the fault towards the Makgadikgadi Pan. A small channel, the Nghabe River, continues southwest toward Lake Ngami, serving as both inlet and outlet depending on the strength and direction of the annual floods.

Unfortunately, Dr. Green does not identify precisely where the change from the Thalamakane Fault to the Boteti river happens.

I have also discovered sources which recognize a Thalamakane River (not mentioned at all by Dr. Green). One is tourist literature from the Thalamakane Tourist Resort. It states "This metropolis (Maun) is now spread out along the wide banks of the timeless Thamalakane River. It also shows photos of canoes being poled.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 10:55:27 PM by apskip »

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2013, 11:12:57 PM »
apskip......I suspect that you have a mis-typed word.

Unfortunately, Dr. Green does not identify precisely where the change from the Thalamakane Fault River to the Boteti River happens.

I can tell you after over 40 years professional experience, that faults do not morph/transform into rivers. They are two completely different landforms. In this case, the Thalamakane River follows the Thalamakane fault. This is because the land on one side of the fault is upthrust, creating a natural dam and redirecting the flow of the river.

Matthew 7:15

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2013, 11:54:37 PM »
Last episode there was a question of the right hand drive vehicles that the teams used, since it was brought up that Botswana drives on the right. Photos from this episode completely disspell that notion. It is very obvious that people drive on the left in Botswana.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #44 on: March 26, 2013, 08:33:04 AM »
apskip......I suspect that you have a mis-typed word.

Unfortunately, Dr. Green does not identify precisely where the change from the Thalamakane Fault River to the Boteti River happens.

I can tell you after over 40 years professional experience, that faults do not morph/transform into rivers. They are two completely different landforms. In this case, the Thalamakane River follows the Thalamakane fault. This is because the land on one side of the fault is upthrust, creating a natural dam and redirecting the flow of the river.

Dr. Rox, I repeat the quote from Dr. Cecil Keen:
The Thalamakane Fault acts as a 150-mile-long natural dam: Here the channels abruptly change direction and join to form one river, the Boteti.

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #45 on: March 26, 2013, 08:40:14 AM »
Speeding in Botswana is dangerous, did anybody watch and remember what happened to Brian & Greg in Season 7 when their 4WD flipped over?

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #46 on: March 26, 2013, 08:54:57 AM »

Unfortunately, Dr. Green does not identify precisely where the change from the Thalamakane Fault to the Boteti river happens.

Who is Dr. Green? Isnt the above your statement? Again......it is the first time I have ever heard of a fault changing into a river?

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #47 on: March 26, 2013, 10:02:03 AM »
Actually, Dr. Green says that the channels change into a river:

The Thalamakane Fault acts as a 150-mile-long natural dam: Here the channels abruptly change direction and join to form one river, the Boteti.

Apskip has merely misunderstood what Dr. Green wrote.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #48 on: March 26, 2013, 10:03:38 AM »
Dr. Rox, I did misspell his name on the original post (quickly revised to correct it), but all further references were to Dr. Cecil Keen. Here is who he is:

Dr. Cecil Keen, originally from Zimbabwe, is a professor of Geography at Minnesota State University Mankato. He took some notes on "the greatest places"  found at www.greatestplaces.org/notes/ to share with us:

Okavango
Amazon
Greenland
Iguazu
Madagascar
Namib
Tibet

To have written those notes he must have visited all those places and wrote them from a perspective of a geographer.

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #49 on: March 26, 2013, 10:06:17 AM »
See the channels: