Author Topic: TAR 22 Ep 3 "Like James Bond Again"  (Read 42780 times)

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
Re: TAR 22 Ep 3 "Like James Bond Again"
« Reply #125 on: March 07, 2013, 05:36:57 PM »
The thing to keep in mind about the length of pit stops is that prior to TAR 18, when the just keep racing, no rest pit stops were first introduced, the show had dropped any mention of a minimum pit stop length of 12 hours.

I think we can deduce that the show is using the actual length of rest periods to better control the timing of legs and the overall time needed for filming, so the no rest period between legs 3 and 4 were not truly improvised, but rather a use of their flexible scheduling.
-- theschnauzers

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #126 on: March 08, 2013, 06:22:00 AM »
Special thanks!

RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #127 on: March 08, 2013, 06:31:18 AM »
And Montrose estate is for sale!

Fishing here:

Location Montrose Estate is a private alpine valley of 643 acres, situated at the base of the Southern Alps of New Zealand, along 2 kilometres of glacial fed Rakaia River frontage.

Address:

566 Blackford Rd
Mt Hutt
Canterbury 7782
South Island

The entrance to Montrose is around 6km up Blackford Rd: see the upper Rakaia River map.

The town of Methven, is just 10 minutes away. Methven is marked on the lower Rakaia River map.
 http://www.nzfishing.com/FishingWaters/NorthCanterbury/NCMaps/Rakaia_upperMap.htm

http://www.nzfishing.com/Property/NCProperty/MontroseEstate/MontroseEstate.htm

RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #128 on: March 08, 2013, 07:30:30 AM »
Disaster curse?

I'm assuming Cleardale Station is where the car-racing took place.

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #129 on: March 08, 2013, 08:21:21 AM »
The thing to keep in mind about the length of pit stops is that prior to TAR 18, when the just keep racing, no rest pit stops were first introduced, the show had dropped any mention of a minimum pit stop length of 12 hours.

I think we can deduce that the show is using the actual length of rest periods to better control the timing of legs and the overall time needed for filming, so the no rest period between legs 3 and 4 were not truly improvised, but rather a use of their flexible scheduling.

I have trouble discerning the difference between "truly improvised" and "flexible."  It seems like the same thing to me. It's clear that World Race Productions carefully adjusts the time between checkin and pit stop release to minimize the chance that any team will break away from the pack. They have to know flight schedules in particular and any Hours of Operation delays that might combine with release times to keep bunching prevalent.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #130 on: March 08, 2013, 11:42:57 AM »
Disaster curse?

I'm assuming Cleardale Station is where the car-racing took place.

Looks like! Plenty of photos here:

http://www.worldploughing.org/photogallery/2010/Four/mywebalbum/index.html
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #131 on: March 08, 2013, 05:28:34 PM »

I have trouble discerning the difference between "truly improvised" and "flexible."  It seems like the same thing to me. It's clear that World Race Productions carefully adjusts the time between checkin and pit stop release to minimize the chance that any team will break away from the pack. They have to know flight schedules in particular and any Hours of Operation delays that might combine with release times to keep bunching prevalent.
What I'm getting at is that they're adjusting all of the lengths of the pit stops as they go in order to keep filming on schedule as much as possible. In the good ole days, production might have been forced to add 24 hours to a pit stop to keep things under control, these days, not so much. This last leg is an example of adjusting things in both Bora Bora and in New Zealand in order to stay as close as possible to the time sequences they planned on.

This has the effect of not having to have local production waiting when things would have otherwise fallen behind, since production would have to pay to have people waiting on standby for that leg to be filmed. So there's a clear economic factor involved and one that was harder to avoid in the early seasons. As it was, this cycle took 25 days to film, so TPTB had every economic incentive to keep things moving along.
-- theschnauzers

Offline Plaidmoon

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #132 on: March 09, 2013, 03:42:28 AM »
I forgot to post this a few days ago when I found it, but found a  discussion among the local people around the mid-Canterbury area where the New Zealand episode was filmed. It's from March 4th and 5th and they were trying to find out who the pit stop greeter was. I'm not sure if we figured that out or not, so I'll post the name of the person they came up with by the end of the discussion.

Trevor taege from http://www.tobyhill.co.nz/

Toby Hill - Farm Tours, Riverside - Springfield, Canterbury, New Zealand
www.tobyhill.co.nz

Tobyhill provides farm tours and a venue in a very picturesque setting. It can be found in the shadow of the Southern Alps in Kowai Bush, just out of Springfield, Canterbury, New Zealand

when I went to the Toby Hill Farm website, the picture of Trevor Taege looks a lot like the pit stop greeter, though the cap keeps me from being certain. I think it's probably him. A few of the pictures in Toby Hill Farm Gallery look like the pit stop location, so I believe Toby Hill Farm is either right nearby or that Trevor does tourist sheep herding and shearing demonstrations there often enough that they used pictures from Terrace Downs. For what it's worth, the Toby Hill Farm web site mentions that they have Jet Boat rides for tourists from their farm. Here's a picture taken of Phil and the greeter at the pit stop:

Here's Trevor Taege after a sheep shearing demonstration from http://www.tobyhill.co.nz/:

Here's another picture of Trevor and his wife Heather from www.tobyhill.co.nz

« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 07:43:14 AM by Plaidmoon »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #133 on: March 10, 2013, 12:06:02 AM »
I have never understood why the greeters are not ID'd and thanked in the "special thanks". It is an honor, I would think a thank you to them would be nice! ???
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline GMR 602

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #134 on: March 10, 2013, 01:26:20 AM »

What I'm getting at is that they're adjusting all of the lengths of the pit stops as they go in order to keep filming on schedule as much as possible. In the good ole days, production might have been forced to add 24 hours to a pit stop to keep things under control, these days, not so much. This last leg is an example of adjusting things in both Bora Bora and in New Zealand in order to stay as close as possible to the time sequences they planned on.

This has the effect of not having to have local production waiting when things would have otherwise fallen behind, since production would have to pay to have people waiting on standby for that leg to be filmed. So there's a clear economic factor involved and one that was harder to avoid in the early seasons. As it was, this cycle took 25 days to film, so TPTB had every economic incentive to keep things moving along.

What was adjusted in Bora Bora?

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #135 on: March 10, 2013, 02:38:50 PM »

What was adjusted in Bora Bora?

TPTB would have "adjusted" the length of the pit stop(s) in Bora Bora to fit the planned departure time(s) for flights at the beginning of the third leg. Keep in mind that the evidence is that the flight delays and multiple connections is what led TPTB to make the speculated changes (camping out at the site where they got their numbers after reaching Christchurch).

One thing to keep in mind. Ever since the show started filming in HD, they have tried to not start or finish legs at night as much as possible. They're not always able to do that, but that partially explains the variability of the length of pit stops.
-- theschnauzers