Author Topic: Studio 7  (Read 4676 times)

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
Studio 7
« on: July 23, 2004, 07:40:04 PM »
Who wants to be quizzed, live together, get voted off?
By Bill Keveney, USA TODAY
In designing a youth-oriented game show for WB, Who Wants to Be a Millionaire producer Michael Davies borrowed from reality. (Related chart: Reality TV recipes)

Contestants on the WB's new quiz/reality show, Studio 7, have to room together and study together. 
WB 

"Young people love reality television," he says. "They love the relationship between the kids. They love the vote-out."

So his new test of wits, Studio 7 (tonight, 9 ET/PT), pays homage to:

•The Real World. Seven young adults live together before competing, though only for four days.

•Survivor. Contestants vote on eliminations, often dumping the most threatening foe.

•The Bachelor. Silver "help me" rings, not roses, are the icons linking the players.

Studio 7 also gives more than a passing nod to Millionaire, the colossal hit that kicked off TV's unscripted programming surge and carried ABC's prime-time lineup from late 1999 into 2001. Shot in Manhattan, as were Millionaire and current successor Super Millionaire, Studio 7 has a darkened stage with a blue glow that hints of its predecessor.

The players, who range from late teens to early 20s, face questions about news, politics, sports and pop culture culled from recent events. That's based on the assumption that the contestants don't have the historical reach of their quiz-show elders. Players also must perform a difficult memory task, such as recalling more than 100 items from a list. The winner gets $77,000; winners from the first seven shows will play for $777,000 in the eighth.

Davies says Studio 7 remains a game show, not hybrid game-reality, but he's building on an established reality practice — the adding and subtracting of identifiable program pieces.

Even one of the game show's most identifiable calling cards, the garrulous host, has been toned down. Host Pat Kiernan, lit from below for effect, reads the questions but doesn't interview the players. Instead, contestants talk about themselves and their game strategies via another reality staple: the confessional.

With all the reality elements, the contestants are responding in kind. Davies says: "We haven't done an episode yet where somebody hasn't cried."

USA TODAY

Offline Brown Guy

• RFF Sr. Member
    • My Site!
Re: Studio 7
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2004, 04:18:14 PM »
seems interesting but i probably wont watch it
A rumor without a leg to stand on will get around!
~John Tudor

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
Re: Studio 7
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2004, 07:53:05 PM »
me either

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
Studio 7 show has been canceled.
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2004, 10:52:22 AM »
http://www.herald-mail.com/?module=displaystory&story_id=88688&format=html

Friday September 3, 2004
WB pulls plug on 'Studio 7'
by Zap2it.com

The fall season hasn't even officially started yet, and already a show has been canceled.

The WB has pulled the plug on its unscripted/game-show hybrid "Studio 7" after, appropriately enough, seven episodes. Thursday's episode will be the show's last.

"Studio 7" debuted to a miniscule 1.65 million viewers in late July, and its ratings in the 9 p.m. Thursday spot haven't budged since.

The WB also says it's moving the premiere of "Drew Carey's Green Screen Show" back a few weeks, to Oct. 7. The show, which combines improv comedy with computer animation, had been scheduled to debut Sept. 16, but would have faced the premiere of "Survivor: Vanuatu" on that night.