Author Topic: Kate Lewis and Pat Hendrickson - TAR12  (Read 27741 times)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Re: Kate Lewis and Pat Hendrickson - TAR12
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2007, 06:26:57 PM »
BUDDY TV EXIT INTERVIEW

:o
Kate: Yeah. We'll it's not back to normal in the sense that we have completely changed our lives. Like Pat said, she's lost 40lbs and I've lost 30lbs. We're so much healthier. We're stronger. The physical changes in our lives have been very very powerful.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2007, 06:45:50 PM »
do eliminated teams go on the early show anymore?

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2007, 07:42:05 PM »
I know there is no Finish Line this year... :'(

but we'll have to start checking Michael--I don't think they started till the third out last time...
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2007, 07:46:45 PM »
why no finish line?!

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2007, 08:37:31 PM »
CBS Cheapness? :lol:  Survivor doesn't have one either...

And Peggy Bunker has moved away--can't remember where--maybe St Louis?
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2007, 08:45:47 PM »
She moved to Colorado because she and her former boyfriend are fighting over dogs.

This relationship went to the dogs -- and court
by Melissa Castro
Sunday October 07, 2007, 8:31 PM

Contrary to the theme of her new cable television show, "She's Moving In!", former News 12 reporter and anchor Peggy Bunker is moving out. And, much to the chagrin of her wealthy ex-boyfriend -- and a court -- she's taking the dogs.

On TV, Bunker brokers peace between a college dude who won't let go of his Samurai sword and his girlfriend who needs a meditation area. In real life, neither Bunker nor her former boyfriend, Richard Higgs, will let go of Barkley and Willis, two West Highland Terriers purchased during the couple's six-year relationship.

Bunker, 35, left the rest of the couple's mutual belongings on her ex's well-groomed front lawn and left town with the dogs. On Thursday, Superior Court Judge Yolanda Ciccone in Somerville ordered Bunker to return the canines, valued at $1,800 each, to Higgs, a 40-year-old business executive.

But both parties have hired legal guns and plan to do further battle over the pets. Higgs has retained an Oradell lawyer -- "the F. Lee Bailey of dog law," according to her Web site -- in addition to private investigators and "other professionals" to help find Barkley and Willis.

Before the alleged dog-napping, the dog duo had full roam of Higgs' seven-acre Bedminster estate and a full-time housekeeper to keep them company. The dogs are now being harbored at an undisclosed location in Denver, with a yard and a nearby dog park, said Bunker's attorney, Krista Haley.

But the judge is unlikely to award custody by comparing the dogs' old and new digs, animal law experts said.

"I don't think there's any case law to support a best-interests analysis," said John Blasi, a partner with Lindabury, McCormick, Estabrook & Cooper in Westfield. "The court is going to look to whose property it is -- that's going to be proved by either some type of pedigree or ownership document."

Source - http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2007/10/this_relationship_went_to_the.html
Just here to visit.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2007, 09:05:21 PM »
Amazing Race Clergy Couple Are No "Wimps for Jesus"
by Rochell D. Thomas

Kate Lewis and Pat Hendrickson, The Amazing Race
 They've survived cancer, the muddy hills of Ireland and a stubborn donkey, but it was a mild form of hunting that did the lesbian California couple in. Episcopalian minister Kate Lewis and deacon Pat Hendrickson became the second team eliminated from The Amazing Race 12 when they lost precious time searching for a marked two-wheeler in a bike garage in Amsterdam.
TVGuide.com: Ah, the married ministers. You two have been together 10 years?
Kate Lewis: Yes
Pat Hendrickson: I just wanted to say that we actually refer to ourselves as partnered clergy as opposed to married ministers.

TVGuide.com: Why partnered? Is it because gay marriage is not yet legal in most states?
Pat: We have received the blessing of our union in the church. But that's different from [being] married legally. Which we cannot be in California.
Kate: And we want to make the political point that we're still not married.

TVGuide.com: Kissing on national television is one way to make a political point.
Pat: It wasn't like we said, "Let's kiss and get it on camera." We didn't even think twice about it.
Kate: I guess that was a big deal, huh.

TVGuide.com: Sort of. Remember there was a woman on Survivor...
Kate: ... and when she brought her girlfriend [over after she won a reward challenge], they didn't show them together. Maybe this is one of the first times a lesbian couple has been shown like this. Wow.
Pat: Kudos to CBS.

TVGuide.com: Kate, you made me laugh when you said God doesn't care whether or not you win.
Kate: I believe that with my whole heart. I mean, look at football teams. Each team is praying that they win. Like God is really in a conundrum over what to do.

TVGuide.com: So along those lines, who wins a Grammy is not high on the list of His priorities.
Kate: Probably not. I dare not speak too much for God. But I think definitely some of what we see with our Christian brothers and sisters [is that they] have the opinion that if God favors them, they'll be richer, like that's a sign of God's favor. That I would really challenge. God cares deeply about who gets fed and who doesn't. God cares about people who are hurt and not hurt. God cares about justice. God cares about those of us who love each other and who work together for peace.

TVGuide.com: Pat, why'd you say that you and Kate are not "wimps for Jesus"?
Pat: Well, the concern was that because we're clergy, maybe we wouldn't be willing to elbow somebody to get a cab. That we would not be willing to really be out there competing and doing what we'd need to do to win the race. And that is not true. You can respect somebody and still run past them or steal their cab.

TVGuide.com: But thou shalt not steal! Even if it's a cab.
Kate: [Both laugh] But it also says that you can't eat cheeseburgers, and I had a cheeseburger yesterday.

TVGuide.com: Point taken. Now, Pat, what happened to your leg? It sounded like there was an injury.
Kate: Oh, we were just getting out of the car at the airport and we were stiff. That's a daily thing.
Pat: And I have bad knees. I'm in physical therapy and one of the things that I'm supposed to limit is climbing and bike riding. So by the time we were through with our part of the race, one of my knees was just not [cutting it] at all anymore. And it wasn't helping that I was carrying that extra 40 pounds.

TVGuide.com: Have you lost 40 pounds since then?
Pat: Yes.

TVGuide.com: What? Did you leave there and go to Biggest Loser?
Kate: I know!
Pat: No. But the race did turn around two life-changing things for me: the fact that I had really let myself get so overweight and that I'd taken the attitude, "What the heck, I'm 65. I get to be old."

TVGuide.com: When did the lightbulb go on?
Kate: When we were climbing up that hill in Ireland!
Pat: People have said, "Oh, it didn't look like you were really trying." But they don't understand how out of shape I was.
Kate: The fact that she made it up there — that we both were able to make it — surprised the heck out of us.
Pat: To have that hit us right off the bat. I'd said from the beginning, when [producers] asked what some of the things were that we thought we might have problems with, "Getting over things or climbing is going to be very difficult for me."
Kate: And the first thing we had to do was climb over rocks and through sheep meadows.

TVGuide.com: Of course. That's how The Amazing Race goes.
Kate: I don't think we were quite prepared.
Pat: I don't know how you can be prepared. I would be interested to see what some of the other couples say because when you watch it, there are things you think you could do, or you think there will be more recovery time during pit-stop times. We thought our map-reading skills and our ability to solve puzzles would carry us through.
Kate: My attention to detail was supposed to be the big savior for us, and then we couldn't find the bike.

TVGuide.com: You kept "losing concentration" in the bike garage.
Kate: That's what we kept saying to each other. But we didn't really lose concentration. It's just that it was two and a half hours that we were looking for that bike.
Pat: There were 2,500 bikes in there, packed on top of each other.
Kate: You've just got to be slow and methodical. But we found that first one no problem. And we found everybody else's bike except ours. There was a guy in the booth who was trying to help us out and hint to us that we should go back to the top. Every time we'd go to the bottom he was like, "No, no, no, go back to the top." And lo and behold our bike was on the bottom. We just trusted him and we made a mistake in who we trusted. Our little play at cheating did not pay off. But I have to say, once we got those bikes, we rallied, we rode those five miles fast.

TVGuide.com: Just to end up in muck. How deep was that ditch-jumping canal?
Pat: It was up to her chin!
Kate: It was evil. And I'm not sure there wasn't poo in there. The first time, I didn't make it across. And I crawled out on the other side and asked, "How do I get back?" They said, "Oh, you can just walk across." Once again I trusted. I stepped out and sunk down to my thighs in this black muck and up to my neck in water. It was water first and then the schmutz — like quicksand. It sucks you down.

http://www.tvguide.com/News/amazing-race-kate/071115-03

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2007, 10:53:10 PM »
I just love them! It's too bad they couldn't go farther.
Just here to visit.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2007, 01:00:44 PM »
Bit late with this but nice IGN Interview with a few new tidbits:

Pat: We know we were quite aways behind at the bus stop but we went to the right bus stop and we sat there for 20 minutes, 25 minutes, waiting for the right bus to come, before I went across the street to where it looked like the headquarters were to say "When is that next bus going to run?" We're told "Oh, they don't run after 6:00." And we're like "Oh, we're gonna spend the night on a park bench." They said "You just have to call. We contract with this minibus company and you have to call them." By the time we called them and the time we got there, it was just a comedy of errors after that.

IGN TV: Why didn't you reserve tickets when you were using the internet to look for flights?

Pat: We didn't have a credit card.

IGN TV: They only let you access the credit card for flights at the airport?

Kate: Right.
There's no way usually to reserve tickets online without a credit card. It's pretty impossible. But what we realized was that the ticket counter wouldn't even open until 7:00 am and that were all going to make it there by 7:00 am anyway, so it would have been a matter of who was in line first. We did stay too long looking at that computer and Nate and Jen passed us while we were looking.

Pat: Our instincts were to get going and we should have followed our own instincts.

Kate: We should have not stuck with Ron and Christina at that point.

Are teams not allowed to make Internet reservations anymore?? ???
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2008, 10:34:33 AM »
Clergy members who competed on 'Amazing Race' are finally wed

http://www.venturacountystar.com/news/2008/jul/10/blessed-event/

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2008, 11:40:07 AM »
I love Kate and Pat! One team whose attitude was always positive during the race. I loved their line, "The Amazing Race is a love letter to the planet."
Just here to visit.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2008, 07:55:55 PM »
 :congrats: Big congratulations to Kate and Pat! And wishing them much happiness!
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Air

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • oh you speak french? oh man that's deep
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2013, 10:41:19 PM »
I really like that they're the first people who openly worship God and yet realise that He won't help in the race, just because they worship Him.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2013, 10:36:36 PM »
Honestly, I think that's kind of a misinterpretation of what they meant? I think what they meant was just because they believe in God, it doesn't mean that it is in God's plan for them to win/make it far in the race.

I'm sure God will HELP everyone, regardless whether or not you "worship" him. All you need to do is to seek him. ;)

Offline Air

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2013, 10:52:52 PM »
I was comparing them to people like Cyndi & Russell and Brandon & Nicole, who at various points during the race said something along the lines of 'Yeah, we have a spiritual advantage because of our connections with God' whereas they're like 'God isn't going to make us win, just because we worship Him'.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2013, 10:58:35 PM »
I was comparing them to people like Cyndi & Russell and Brandon & Nicole, who at various points during the race said something along the lines of 'Yeah, we have a spiritual advantage because of our connections with God' whereas they're like 'God isn't going to make us win, just because we worship Him'.

Oh then that makes sense! But maybe Cyndi and Russell and Brandon and Nicole did feel confident that because if they feel stressful in anyway... they can fall back on God, while other non-believers don't and fall back on their own quarrels/bickerings aka Jonathan/Victoria and many other dysfunctional couple/siblings/family. So they are right in a way... in terms that their spiritual advantage will help them to deal with their emotions better in the race? ;)

Offline Air

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2013, 04:12:00 AM »
I'm guessing it does help in a confidence sort of way, it just irks me that they'd think that it was in the Lord's best interests for them to win, and I like more down to earth worshippers, like Kate & Pat.

Offline Jimmer

• Big Brother Sho2 Updater
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2013, 01:09:13 PM »
Yeah, I love what you said Airlines! I loved them for being like that. Too bad they didn't make it farther in the race like I had wished. :(