Subscribe to the Big Brother Live Feeds

Poll

Which designer created the best overall route?

addie
14 (51.9%)
supah3ro
4 (14.8%)
calphin
9 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Voting closed: January 11, 2013, 08:43:40 PM

Author Topic: ❖ TAR: Design Challenge 3 ~ Finale Results are Posted! ❖  (Read 9122 times)

Offline Paldog

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • US Winter Olympic Team - Sochi 2014 - Go America!
Re: ❖TAR: Design Challenge 3 ~ Finale Designs❖
« Reply #50 on: January 16, 2013, 11:30:01 AM »
The results will be posted sometime tonight! :hearts:
"I've heard her called a quitter for leaving, an aimless wanderer. But not all who wander are aimless. Especially not those who seek truth beyond tradition; beyond definition; beyond the image." ― Mona Lisa Smile

Online David

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Tim & Te Jay. All-Time Pre-Faves
« Reply #51 on: January 16, 2013, 01:11:07 PM »
Wohooo. Good luck to all of you, guys!
Sam's AR10: Sarah & Shaleen F04 Leg 10 (2,310 CNY)
TAR Greece: Ivi&Eleftheria  F15 Leg 02 (418€ Left)
RS Armenia:   David Zhang   F15 IC6
TAR 25:       Tim & TeJay   Pre-Season Faves <3333

Offline Kandace

• RFF's Game Queen
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Ditto
« Reply #52 on: January 16, 2013, 01:27:03 PM »
Is there a DC4?
I don't deserve the treatment that I'm getting

Offline Tarfan37

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #53 on: January 16, 2013, 03:59:52 PM »
Is there a DC4?
I would hope so because i wanna try this

Online supah

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #54 on: January 16, 2013, 04:01:25 PM »
best birthday present eva :hearts:

Offline ovalorange

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #55 on: January 16, 2013, 04:06:29 PM »
best birthday present eva :hearts:

OMG, it's your birthday?? HAPPY BIRTHDAY SUPAH! :D    Someone go make a thread for him plz kthx

addie

« Reply #56 on: January 16, 2013, 04:07:52 PM »
Happy birthday supah!

Online supah

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #57 on: January 16, 2013, 04:29:01 PM »
thx ma bebes

Offline Paldog

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #58 on: January 16, 2013, 09:43:09 PM »
Happy birthday, supah3ro! An additional birthday gift may soon be coming your way. ;)

The results ceremony will begin now!
"I've heard her called a quitter for leaving, an aimless wanderer. But not all who wander are aimless. Especially not those who seek truth beyond tradition; beyond definition; beyond the image." ― Mona Lisa Smile

Offline Paldog

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #59 on: January 16, 2013, 09:50:35 PM »

Mirna: Hello, all! It is I, Mirna (Paldog), Flo (racer), and Phil (Cocoa), the three hosts of this season of TAR: Design Challenge. It is time for the final results show of the season!

3 designers have fought long and hard for a chance to be here. The finalists are:

addie!

supah3ro!

and calphin!

They were challenged with designing an entire route for one season of the Amazing Race. Within their routes, they had to include a judge's choice leg (a leg that a judge wanted a contestant to redo from earlier in the season), a leg in Antarctica, and ALL 7 continents.

After taking some time to review the designs, we have scored them. The designers' total scores for the round will be broken down as follows:

25% - Poll
15% - Judge Mirna's Overall Route Score
15% - Judge Flo's Overall Route Score
15% - Judge Phil' Overall Route Score
10% - Redo Leg
10% - Antarctica Leg
10% - Final Leg
_____
100%

+ (possible) 3% for Holiday-Themed Leg

So let the results show begin!

Offline Paldog

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #60 on: January 16, 2013, 09:55:32 PM »
First off, we have Judge Phil's scores!

Show content
1. Antartica Legs
Calphin: 28/30

2. Redo Legs
Addie: 23/30
Supah: 20/30
Calphin: 22/30

3. Final Legs
Addie: 29/30
Supah: 26/30
Calphin: 26/30

4. Overall
Addie: 26/30
Supah: 24/30
Calphin: 26/30

Note: All 3 judges scored the designs out of different amounts. The scores will be converted when necessary to produce equal grade-weighting.

Offline Cocoa

• RFF Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #61 on: January 16, 2013, 09:57:38 PM »
Is there a DC4?

You or somebody just as capable may wish to host it <333

Offline Paldog

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #62 on: January 16, 2013, 10:08:16 PM »
Next, we have my (Judge Mirna's) scores!

Show content
1. Overall Route Scores

Scoring Note: I scoreded this round out of 120, with each of the 9 non-component legs receiving a maximum of 10 points. I scored each of the 3 component legs out of 5 since they are already being heavily weighted. Finally, the remaining maximum 15 points was used to evaluate the layout of your route (geography, likeliness, flights, etc.).

addie- 104/120
supah3ro- 97/120
calphin- 102/120

2. Redo Legs

Scoring Note: I scored this round out of the normal 50 points that is used in most TAR: Design Challenge rounds.

addie- 45/50
supah3ro- 42/50
calphin- 41/50

3. Final Legs

Scoring Note: I scored this round out of the normal 50 points that is used in most TAR: Design Challenge rounds.

addie- 47/50
supah3ro- 44/50
calphin- 45/50

4. Antarctica Legs

addie- 0/50 (did not submit)
supah3ro- 0.50 (did not submit)
calphin- 48/50

Offline Paldog

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #63 on: January 16, 2013, 11:21:33 PM »
And, last but not least, Judge Flo's scores (and comments)!

Show content
Hello designers! I am judging you out of 100 total for your overall route. This will include a score out of FIVE for each of your twelve legs individually, adding up to a total 60 points. After that, I will consider a variety of other factors such as the feasibility, cohesion and feel of your overall route when strung together as a whole. So let's get to the fun!

INDIVIDUAL LEG SCORES:

Show content
addie

Show content
Leg 1: This leg is absolutely flawless and a perfect start to the race. Five points without a fraction of a doubt.

Leg 2: It's an almost flawless leg with one of the best Detours imaginable, which helps your score. I can't give full marks to the Roadblock though, although it is a decent task, but you get four points nonetheless.

Leg 3: I absolutely LOVE the vuvuzela orchestra! And I also love the Roadblock, especially Brooke deciding not to complete it! :P Fast Forward is decent and relevant. The other Detour option is not as good, but it just does enough to secure you five points for this leg.

Leg 4: Both your Fast Forward and Roadblock are very good and well designed! I dislike the Detour though. Catching crabs is not dissimilar to other TAR challenges done in the past (e.g. TAR12 finale) and the fish trap – while it is slightly better – would not be very fun to watch on television for the viewers. This is definitely the weakest leg so far so I give it three points.

Leg 5: I think this Roadblock is the best challenge in the history of the TAR: DC franchise (although I do like my skivodka :P) in my opinion. The Detour is culturally relevant and will be interesting to see the teams struggling, but it might not be the most exciting challenge to watch on TV, especially the 'Two Skates' option. I really, really, really, really, really hate U-Turns positioned directly before a Pit Stop with a passion, but in light of the sheer awesomeness of the Roadblock, I think the Roadblock counteracts the poor U-Turn positioning, so I will settle on a score of four

Leg 6: I would normally seriously hate a cheesy Christmas-themed leg, BUT since you were instructed to design such a leg, I obviously won't penalise you for it! :) I like the Speed Bump – there could be some funny letters that Brooke & Hope read in there :P and compared to most Speed Bumps on the real TAR, this is a big success. I like the 'Reindeer Racing' task and it would definitely be entertaining, but I'm not 100% convinced by the other option, even though it has the potential to do well as a luck-based challenge. EXTREMELY good U-Turn positioning – so much better than the previous leg. The Roadblock is absolutely phenomenal! Almost as good as the previous leg's Roadblock and that is saying something! While I'm not fond of the Christmas theme, it's a big five points from me!

Leg 7: The Speed Bump is not as good as the previous leg, but it is not bad either. The Roadblock is easily the best task on the leg (yet again!) while the Detour is a good Detour but not a great Detour. I think that the leg is good but not perfect – I'm leaning between a three and a four on this one... but it is a four from me... barely.

Leg 8: I absolutely hate India + China legs, so it is almost impossible for me to give this leg five points, unless it is truly flawless. Let's see what you've got... the Speed Bump is not bad at all and I would love to see Brooke & Hope do that. :P The Roadblock sounds kinda interesting, but if teams can see the leaf, then it might actually be an extremely simple task so I'm not convinced by this Roadblock. I also dislike the Detour – the concept of 'Fruit Ninja' is nice, but I feel that the Detour is not well-balanced and also the other Detour option is rather boring for viewers. India legs are a high-risk, low-reward type of situation when it comes to my tastes, and sadly this leg doesn't work for me. Two points is the most I can give you – I would recommend making the Roadblock harder, changing the Detour completely and adding in a Route Info task in beautiful Venice prior to making them fly to India.

Leg 9: Another unconvincing Detour for me – I think the person would be able to feel a difference in the massage and I don't think that task works at all unfortunately. I do like the other Detour option however, and I think some bickering would be fun at this challenge. (Cue me and Zach or Brenchel please. :P) The Roadblock is a little simple, but I love that you have made the most of a local landmark, and that impresses me a lot! Once again I am leaning between a three and a four, but this time I have to settle on three unfortunately. :(

Leg 10: I just loved reading the words “take a picture with a Kodak EasyShare Digital Camera” - reminds me of good old classic TAR! :P Meanwhile, I think your Roadblock is great – it will cause a lot of confusion, it will be quite tricky and it could really separate the crowd. In terms of your Detour, I like both tasks but I don't really love either task. Australia is an EXTREMELY boring place (and that's coming from an Australian :lol:) so in terms of a leg in Australia, you have actually done a pretty decent job and you get four points.

Leg 11: I do love my South Pacific! ;) OK, so your fire task is out of this world! It is just amazing. I'm concerned about safety since they are dancing with knives and fires, but maybe that's a good thing! :P The 'Prior' task does not entertain me as much. I don't really like it, but I don't hate it either. The Roadblock is great! Finding a Hidden Immunity Idol will be amazing! I hope TAR hired Russell Hantz as the clue-giver or even the Pit Stop greeter! I like this leg a lot! Four points from me!

Leg 12: I just have to say one thing before I start critiquing this – ELEVEN HIDDEN IMMUNITY IDOLS! <3333333333333333333333333333333 I think this is Ethiopian Highlands all over again! :lol3: Now, let's get serious! The bat poop is sure interesting – I think poop tasks has been the theme of this season, so it is funny to see a poop task actually making its way into the finale as well. :lol: I have mixed feelings about the rodeo. I like the task to some extent, but I don't really like this as a challenge on the final leg. I think it would be better suited for a different leg, in my opinion. The final Roadblock is stunning! I will go into more detail when separately judging your final leg, but for now, it is a four out of five.

TOTAL: 47/60

supah3ro

Show content
Leg 1: Two designers doing Bolivia eh... interesting choice. I love TAR's only visit to Bolivia, so let's see if your's lives up to it. Both of your additional tasks are phenomenal – I especially love the greased up pole. I am a big fan of unconventional ways of determining departure times!!! The Roadblock is nice too! So far, I am very impressed with the first legs of both designers. Five points from me!

Leg 2: This leg involves too much manual labour for my liking. I would be fine with some manual labour incorporated into the Detour or the Roadblock, but when you have a Roadblock involving manual labour, directly followed by two Detour options involving manual labour, it gets highly repetitive. I like the tasks on their own, which is why I will give you three points, but I think the leg does not work when you combine the tasks together, which is why I can't go any higher.

Leg 3: I love the Detour – particularly the 'Parading Along'. I sure hope for the teams' sake that the queens are on a diet! :lol: The task at the restaurant was great, and those would be some fascinating delicacies that many teams would struggle with. The Roadblock just kills the entire leg for me. Placing a bungee jump or skydive as a major task is tantamount to TAR design suicide in my books – it just wastes the Roadblock. If you had the bungee as a Route Info additional challenge, it would be much, much better. In addition, maybe you could switch the eating challenge to a Roadblock and  kill two birds with one stone. It's a good leg, so you get four points, but with a little more organisation, this leg has the potential to get five.

:Leg 4: OMG this Fast Forward is taking place like ten minutes from my house! <333 I am so spoiling this leg! <333 I was actually driving by Palm Beach just the other day! :lol: I have low expectations for an Australian leg, as I mentioned with addie, but your Fast Forward is actually good, and those 'thrill-seeking' challenges act as decent Fast Forwards. As I've said before, the Roadblock is phenomenal. Unfortunately, I am disappointed that skydiving has been chosen as a Detour – see the Leg 3 comments above. The other Detour task is so amazing, but this Detour is very poorly balanced and nobody is going to choose that awesome task, unless they have a Flo freakout. It's a shame, because if that Detour option had been changed, it would have been an almost flawless leg, but it absolutely killed it down to a three.

Leg 5: Angkor Wat and Bayon gives this leg a very TAR13 feel, but your task there is better than TAR13... just. Both Detour tasks are well thought out and well-balanced, but neither would constitute a particularly interesting task to watch on TV. However, on the bright side, the U-Turn is very well placed and the Roadblock is sensational! I really love seeing the land mine task – I had a similar challenge in mind while participating on TAR DC2, but I never got the chance to use it, so I'm really happy to see you have done that! Four points from me!

Leg 6: I really hate crocodiles! That Roadblock would be hard to watch for me, but to be honest, it isn't too bad. The 'Fishy Bustle' is pretty simple – I don't think it would be too hard to identify a fish . The 'Khmer Hustle' also seems to be very similar to a Detour from TAR9 in Greece, so it feels unoriginal to me. I don't like this leg much. Only two points unfortunately.

Leg 7: The Roadblock is decent but not great. I do, however, like the carrying of the bed frame across that long route! Will be fun! Your Detour is what I like most about this leg – both tasks are quite interesting and relevant, and the 'Cattle Run' will be particularly intriguing if teams get uncooperative cows. (My Cow Is Broken! :lol:) I don't know what I make of the Speed Bump right at the end of the leg – I don't like its positioning. Also, the task reminds me of the Detour from TAR6 in Senegal, except it is even harder than that challenge, and I think it needs to be simplified if you want to use it as a Speed Bump. It is three points from me.

Leg 8: When I first read the Fast Forward, I thought it was too simple. But after going back over it, I think it actually sounds like a great task, and particularly tricky if multiple teams decided to go for it! Grinding the coffee beans would be pretty interesting if multiple teams were there. The elusive red coffee bean (or in this case yellow) is one of the most iconic challenges in TAR history. I think it would have worked better in Costa Rica where the original challenge took place as a Switchback, but I do admit that I would love to see it again! Hooray for more faeces! A step up from the last two legs! Four points for sure!

Leg 9: The Roadblock is not bad. It would be pretty frustrating for the teams I'm sure, but then again, I don't think anybody should have too many problems. :/ I like the 'Rotation', but as I revealed earlier in the game, I have safety concerns for the children. I don't think TAR would go for this challenge. The 'Creation' is a nice task, but compared to the other option, it is very detail-oriented and tedious, so I think an appropriate balance is absent from this challenge. It's not a failure for me, but it only just passes for three points.
Leg 10: I am just going to number the leg like this – considering the TBC to be two separate legs – just for me own ease. These comments refer to Slovenia. The horse thing is really boring. Instead of cleaning horses, why not have them ride the horses or do something that would be somewhat fun to watch. I don't like it. :( 'Underground' is a better task, but again, I think this is better suited as a Route Info, not a Detour task. It is far too simple for me. I liked your Roadblock at first, but after re-reading the wording, I think the task is way too simple. If they only have to find one of five puppets among thirty, then their odds of finding one are actually far too high and they could even get it by guessing. If you had made them identify all five puppets, then this task would have been much better. So at this point, I was just about ready to give a one for this leg, but then I read the additional tasks, which are just amazing! Because of those additional tasks, you have saved this leg from being a complete disaster. Three points from me, which is pretty generous considering the leg was awful until after both the Roadblock and Detour had finished.

Leg 11: (Or Leg 10 by your counting system. :P) The 'Charade' task – as I have mentioned before – is beyond amazing! I LOVE LOVE this task – pun intended! :lol: The 'Displayed' would be entertaining to watch them carry the artwork, but perhaps it would be more challenging to have them wrap up the painting correctly and have it approved themselves. The Roadblock is also breathtaking! I love it! After a run of some pretty dismal legs, it's safe to say that this one is a big hit! Five big points from me! For me, this is the best individual leg submitted within this finale.

Leg 12: The final Roadblock is amazingly done! I love it a lot! Unfortunately, I think the finale is lacking in tasks. There is only crab moving, the memory challenge and some cryptic clues to decode, which are nice, but not really tasks. Overall, it's a four from me, but we'll get into more detail when scoring this separately.

TOTAL: 43/60

calphin

Show content
Leg 1: Absolutely LOVE your Starting Line task! I actually have played that game before and I have solved it successfully, so I would do well at that, but I think many teams would struggle! :lol: (Cue Brenchel.) The Roadblock doesn't really interest me, but the task with the patterns is a nice tricky one. A good leg that gets four points from me.

Leg 2: I like the first Route Info task and the chocolates, as I mentioned when you previously designed this leg. The Detour and Roadblock have improved, so it is four points from me here. Also, you have got one of the most beautiful Pit Stops in TAR history! <333

Leg 3: I kinda like the Roadblock – it might be entertaining. The Detour looks half-good – I like the olive pitting but the fish one seems a little boring. At least the Detour is well-balanced. I do, however, like the twist that the last two teams (Intersected team) both get the Speed Bump – it is a good twist which bumps my score up from a three to a four.

Leg 4: I have a lot of positives and negatives for this leg. First lets do the positives. The long self-driving is amazing <333 and feels just like good old classic TAR <333 and the 'Track Search' task and the Roadblock are both amazing and relevant. What I dislike is the snakes which I find disgusting (but the task itself is above average) and I really hate the Speed Bump, because it is not relevant to South Africa in any way and it is also pretty boring. The other negative is the Surprise Double U-Turn. I really don't like U-Turns positioned directly before the Pit Stop BUT you sorta get away with it because of the long drive to the Detour/Pit Stop, which makes it borderline acceptable. Still, there's a lot that can be done to patch up this leg, so it is a three from me.

Leg 5: This leg feels very rushed to me. That first task is a decent filler task and it could be entertaining if more than four teams are there at once. The 'Heaven' task is not bad, but if we had more details on exactly what teams were identifying and how, it would be much better. The 'Underworld' is half-decent, but it has the potential of being a better task. Maybe if you incorporated something to do with interpreting the writing on the graves and acting accordingly, that would be more interesting. The Roadblock is average but very rushed. There could be a better task for Uzbekistan. I'm leaning in between a two and a three, but ultimately I have decided to go with the latter.

Leg 6: I kinda like the Fast Forward. It seems to be relevant to South Korean culture, so that is good for me. But it may be hard and/or impossible for teams who are not fast runners and can't catch the people. I don't like the 'Classy Singer' Detour option – it just seems like it is pointless if you ask me. I also hate this so-called 'Gangnam Style' phenomenon, but it does make an interesting task on TAR, and maybe it will get us some new fans. The Roadblock is decent but not great. The Pit Stop is reused from TAR4. I don't mind, but it would be nice to be original OR maybe ask the teams to 'go to the TAR4 South Korea Pit Stop' as a cryptic clue. This one is worth three points to me.

Leg 7: I like the first clue – it may trick some of the teams. The 'Say It' task is not bat, but you had teams learn the language in South Korea, and you had the teams do a writing task in Uzbekistan, so I think it is just too many language tasks heaped on top of one another. I think it should be cut back a little. The 'Taste It' is not a bad challenge but I would like to know what the ingredients are, because if some or all of the ingredients are obscure flavourings, it could actually be way too difficult. I like the Roadblock because it is culturally relevant. I like the twist with the NEL penalty. Interesting! Might be a little generous, but it is four points from me.

Leg 8: We've had too many Indonesia legs on TAR in recent seasons, BUT self-driving will be interesting and funny, although I'm not sure if it would be safe for teams who have not experienced these road conditions before. Eight kilograms of tea leaves sounds like too much... surely each tea leaf can't way more than a couple of grams... that would be thousands of leaves by my calculation. It seems a bit excessive to me. Also, I would have preferred this task as a Detour or Roadblock and not a Fast Forward. Both Detour options are good, but neither is great. The Roadblock is decent and is culturally relevant, so it helps raise your score to a three.

Leg 9: 'Comedy' Detour is good. The 'History' is not quite as good but it is passable. LOVE LOVE LOVE the Roadblock! <33333 the last task at the end is decent and a good way to showcase the Travelocity Gnomes. Overall, a good leg which also exceeds my low expectations of Australia, so it is four points from me.

Leg 10: I am going to give you ten points by default because you actually decided to follow instructions and complete an Antarctica leg unlike your competitors. :res: I would have given your leg five points anyway, because I like the Detour and the Roadblock a lot. That map gave me a great laugh! Thanks! :lol3:

Leg 11: Both of the Detour options aren't particularly unique or particularly exciting. I don't really like the Detour. However, your Roadblock is one of the best challenges of your race! The goalkeeper thing is fun (I am a huge soccer fan so this works for me! :P) and the cryptic Pit Stop clue is awesome. The leg started bad but improved seriously and immensely, so you get four points.

Leg 12: OMG Home Alone <333 I love, I love! This is one of the best things I have seen! The Christmas decorations are decent since you were asked to do the Christmas theme. I don't really like the theme for a TAR leg, but you are following instructions, so I don't deduct points for that. The Memory Challenge is downright AMAZING! <333 And the candy thing works for me. It's your first five-pointer from me! ;) (although Antarctica would have gotten five as well.)

TOTAL: 51/60

ROUTE SCORES:

So now I am going to give each of you a score out of 40 for the route as a whole. Points will be given for using countries not seen before (and to a much lesser extent, places and cities that haven't been seen before) and using countries that have not been visited frequently, and definitely require a visit in my opinion. Points are subtracted for visiting overly used places, e.g. China and India. The way your route is structured will also be assessed.

Show content
addie

Show content
You visited four countries which have not been seen before on TAR – Venezuela, Gabon, Laos and Samoa. I was also particularly happy with the inclusion of South Africa, which hasn't been seen since TAR7 and is desperately in need of a TAR visit soon! Bolivia is a good location. I love that the Dutch and Finnish legs tackle areas of the country that have not been visited, even though I'm not too crazy about the Christmas theme myself. The India leg disappointed me slightly and was the major flaw in your design.

To analyse the structure of you route, I like the beginning. South American starts are often good – and when they are full of exciting tasks like yours, it is a surefire hit. I'm very excited about the lack of Asia in your route which is overused to the point that it is almost impossible for me to watch now on TAR. I would've loved another leg in Africa, but overall it is pretty good. I also like the fact that you have some legs with little travel time and close locations (such as Netherlands to Finland) but you also have some legs with a lot of travel (such as Croatia to India or Bolivia to South Africa). It fits together well and gives it the feel of the classic days of TAR. I'm not a big fan of the easterly route – I prefer Asia to be first so that we can get it over and done with and then have the better legs later – but since some of my favourite seasons are actually the easterly routes, there's no point deduction for that!

Overall, I will score you 35 points out of 40 here, with the deduction of a few points for India just because it is far too used. (I would have deducted more points if you went to Mumbai or Delhi or somewhere else we have seen a hundred times already)

supah3ro

Show content
I love the country of Peru, and I enjoy the fact that your route showcases Peru for two legs! Bolivia is great as well. Unfortunately Slovenia is the only race first, which is slightly disappointing for me. I would have preferred Cambodia to be cut back into only one leg (especially since there were some weak tasks in there) and I wish you did somewhere else in Africa besides Tanzania which is the most overused African country, but since that is your re-do leg you were forced to do, I obviously can't penalise you for it. Mozambique is fine and of course Croatia is great. France produces some exciting legs – including yours – so it is good on the route, and I like the Baltimore finish.

I like the westerly route. Travelling from South America to Australia is nice – it was done on TAR13 but the second half of that season's route was not up to scratch. I love the long flights from South America to Australia and from Cambodia to Mozambique and a good route overall.
I will also score your route 35 because it did have a couple of things I didn't like, as I outlined above, but was very good for the most part. :)

calphin

Show content
Guatemala and Uzbekistan are new! And of course Antarctica! I kinda love the jump from Greece to South Africa and then going all the way to Uzbekistan on the next leg. There will be a lot of flight drama just like the classic days of TAR. There were too many legs in Asia for me – for a route that is showcasing seven continents, four legs in one continent is too much. Indonesia has also been used too much on the recent seasons on TAR. One more leg in Africa or South America would have been nice.

Argentina making an appearance on Leg 11 is unprecedented, which I absolutely love! I love how both the first leg and the penultimate leg are set in the Americas. That is great! Also really excited about Greece which needs a visit and South Africa too.

I'm going to also give you 35 points. I think all three designers have very good routes, but all have a couple of minor flaws that could be patched up to make it the complete route. Great effort!

TOTAL OUT OF 100:

Show content
addie – 82
supah3ro – 78
calphin – 86

But wait! I am not done yet. I need to administer my own penalty to addie and supah3ro for failing to listen to instructions and include an Antarctica leg. You have both missed out on ten points from the Antarctica round of judging, but I feel that additional penalties are required.

If you were hired by WRP to design TAR legs and they told you “we want a leg in Argentina”, then you design a leg in Argentina. Unfortunately, neither of you were able to apply this principle to this game so if you did this to WRP, you would get fired.

As a result, I am going to administer a thirty point penalty to each of you from my own scores. Your failure to meet our criteria is both astounding and extremely disappointing, not to mention unjustified. To quote supah from the fantasy game thread , apparently is “just some icebergs and...”. Well watching icebergs melt would be more entertaining than your second Cambodia leg so that's not an excuse... :res:

So the adjusted scores from me are:

addie – 52
supah3ro – 48
calphin – 86

REDO LEGS

Show content
OK, I am going to judge the redo legs, solely on how they improved from the original. A scale of one to ten on improvement from the original.

addie

Show content
This is interesting, because you went to a completely different part of Australia. Unfortunately, your Detour is nowhere near as good as one side of the previous Detour you had created, but your Roadblock is a huge improvement. You've improved the Roadblock but worsened the Detour, so it balances out to seven out of ten for me. Both of the legs are very good. I don't think the “redo” category works very well for you addie, because it is hard to improve on the originals. :lol:

supah3ro

Show content
The Roadblock has definitely improved. A lot. The Detour has also improved, but largely as a result of a Switchback-esque challenge. It is a good leg with a lot of improvement, so eight points from me.

calphin

Show content
Thanks for getting rid of that Detour that I didn't like. :lol: The new Detour is definitely an improvement to some extent. The Roadblock isn't bad either, and you have produced one of the most amazing Pit Stop locations ever. You also listened really closely to my feedback and kept the challenges which I said were good, which is really awesome! I'm going to award nine points for a huge improvement!

ANTARCTICA:

Show content
calphin's leg is flawless, while the other two felt no need to submit. That is all.

FINALE LEGS:

Show content
I am currently on Page 8 of my word document with all of these comments, so I am not going to go into as much detail as I normally would to judge a whole leg.

My thoughts on the final legs are that both addie's and supah3ro's final legs contained good memory challenges but there were not enough tasks throughout the rest of the leg. calphin's also contained a great memory challenge, but his leg was actually full of enough tasks to fill up an hour (or more) of television.

I'm going to split my scoring up into two components – ten points for the memory challenge and ten points for the legs as a whole. I believe supah3ro's memory challenge is the best, as such he gets ten points for it, while calphin will get nine, as it is just slightly less amazing. addie's is also good, but the finding objects thing is a little too generic, but it will still get seven points from me.

calphin definitely gets ten points for the second component, as I felt that his was a complete leg, whereas both addie's and supah3ro's were designed in a way that we had a couple of pointless things leading up to a memory challenge. Nonetheless, at least addie had two 'tasks' in his leg, whereas I think it would be really hard to fill up one hour with supah3ro's leg, as it was just transporting crabs, going a few places and then a memory task. I'll give seven points to addie and five to supah3ro for their second component. While you have both focussed on creating a great memory challenge – you have both neglected the remainder of your leg, in my opinion. It is a little bit of a letdown.

So adding up the scores from both components, I award the following scores out of twenty:

addie – 14
supah3ro – 15
calphin – 19

That's all from me, guys! It has been a fun ride watching you all design! It has been an honour to critique your designs and I hope you take some of the comments on board for future reference! Thanks for playing!

Final thoughts:

Show content
-If addie had included Antarctica in his route, it would have been miles ahead of both other designs in my book.
-addie had the best route as a whole for me and one of the best tasks I've ever seen, while calphin had the best Antarctica leg (SHOCKER!) and the best finale leg and the best redo leg. On the other hand, supah3ro had the best memory challenge, one of the best individual legs (France) and a great redo leg. Based on all of this, I will be more than happy to see any of you take the crown because each of you were able to dominate various aspects of this final round!

Good luck and congratulations on an amazing performance! Congratulations in advance to the winner – I have no idea who it will be!

Offline Paldog

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #64 on: January 16, 2013, 11:22:03 PM »
After tallying up the scores, we can now reveal the results!

With a score of 51% (out of 100%), the designer that finished in 3rd place was...

Show content
supah3ro. Well done for making it this far in the competition!

Offline Paldog

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #65 on: January 16, 2013, 11:23:12 PM »
We are now down to ___ and ___. These two designers especially have fought long and hard for a chance to be in the finale and win it all!

With a score of 76.8%, we can now reveal the winner of the 3rd Season of The Amazing Race: Design Challenge to be...

Show content
calphin! Congratulations! You did it! You have come out on top and are now a champion designer! You should be proud of all of the hard work and magnicifient designing you have done this season! Way to go!

This means that the player that ended up in second place (with a score of 66.4%) was...

Show content
addie. You should be very proud of yourself, too, as your designs were some of the most consistent of the season! You should also be proud for making it to the finale and designing a stellar route!

That's all, folks! We would like to extend a major thanks to all of the contestants and viewers of this season! It was a great amount of fun, and hopefully there will be another season in the near future! See you real soon!

Score Conversions/Calculations:

Show content

Offline Mug Costanza

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Don't Poke the Bear
Re: ❖ TAR: Design Challenge 3 ~ Finale Results are Posted! ❖
« Reply #66 on: January 16, 2013, 11:27:53 PM »
Congratulations, calphin! :wohoo:

addie and supah3ro, you were awesome as well. :tup:

Show content
Happy Birthday, supah3ro! :)

Online supah

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #67 on: January 16, 2013, 11:35:09 PM »
Thanks again Mug! Also wanting to thank the other mystery 2 people that voted for me.... :lol:

CONGRATS CALPH!  :wohoo:
Well played addie!
and YAY ME! :lol:

I just want to ESPECIALLY thank racer for going to the effort by SUPPORTING his scores and actually giving feedback. Cocoa and Paldog, I was disappointed we only got numbers from you. Even though I'm always the one complaining about how you long you take to score etc, I actually wouldn't mind if you were taking time to give us feedback.

ANYWAY, great season. Looking forward to next season. Sign me up! ;)

Offline racer

• "Expelliarmus"
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Why... Why can't this moment last forevermore!? ♥
« Reply #68 on: January 16, 2013, 11:43:07 PM »
Big congratulations, calphin! :hoot: :hoot:

Congratulations to supah and addie as well for being superb not only in this finale, but right through the course of the competition! You've both been excellent competitors! :hoot:

A message to supah and addie from various past contestants of The Amazing Race:

This space is dedicated forevermore to Poland's Next Top Model.

Offline Kandace

• RFF's Game Queen
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Ditto
« Reply #69 on: January 16, 2013, 11:48:17 PM »
Well I have been given hosting rights...

Coming soon! ;) ;)

I don't deserve the treatment that I'm getting

addie

« Reply #70 on: January 17, 2013, 12:07:05 AM »
Lol Congrats calphin! Racer was rly bitter I suppose. At least the public liked me the most <3

Offline Aussie

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #71 on: January 17, 2013, 12:12:23 AM »
Lol Congrats calphin! Racer was rly bitter I suppose. At least the public liked me the most <3

anyways congrats everyone!  :ghug:

Offline racer

• "Expelliarmus"
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Why... Why can't this moment last forevermore!? ♥
« Reply #72 on: January 17, 2013, 12:19:01 AM »

FLO: Umm honey, I might be bitter but at least I can read the instructions... :res:

(In my opinion, if addie's design had simply included any leg in Antarctica for the finale, it would have won by a landslide, but rules are rules...)
This space is dedicated forevermore to Poland's Next Top Model.

Offline Kamineko

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #73 on: January 17, 2013, 12:24:07 AM »
:party: :party: CONGRATULATIONS, CALPHIN!!!!! :party: :party:

:hoot: :hoot: You're the best!!! :hoot: :hoot:
"I might have to blow up some other people's game." - Zach

Offline calphin

• RFF Jr. Member
  • Bababa, babanana!
« Reply #74 on: January 17, 2013, 01:24:41 AM »
 :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o
This is basically my face when reading the critics.
So I basically win because of Antarctica, eh??? :lol3: Never expected that...  :ascared
Thanks to all the congrats!  :hearts:
Thanks to addie and supah to make me lose my hope to even get to the finale...  :lol3:
And thanks for the judges/hosts too for your hardwork and perseverance when some gone quitting...  :res:
And thanks to my friends too, Kamineko and my other friend to help me make at least 2,5 legs  :) :) :)

Looking forward to the next edition.  ;)
DTAR3 : Gary & George; Joab's TARA - Calphin & Kamineko;
TARDBL2 : Mia & Maya; RFF All-Stars : Calphin & Laimis
The Amazing Race CK : Leg 6 (USA) (WIKIA)

Custom Search