Author Topic: TAR Disaster Curse  (Read 52896 times)

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
Re: TAR Disaster Curse
« Reply #275 on: January 01, 2015, 03:34:38 AM »
While the Air Asia disaster is tragic -- I don't understand why air traffic control denied the pilot's request to ascend above the thunderstorms on the flight path -- it technically does not come within the definition of the TAR disaster curse because it didn't happen in the time period between the filming and U.S. broadcast of the TAR 25 Singapore leg.

It is insane that the two airlines involved in the three air disasters of 2014are both headquartered in Mayalsia but so far, the issue of the weather and the ATC handling of the pilot's altitude request seem to be the main cause for concern and that may not be viewed as an airline safety problem. From what I know of the U.S. federal aviation regulations, a request of that kind from a pilot is to be granted unless there's something highly unusual that requires a denial. And I've not heard a thing along those lines.

There was another plane in the way.

http://redshopeweekly.wordpress.com/2014/12/31/no-happy-new-year/

Offline Air

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Nina Sublati - The Better Warrior
« Reply #276 on: January 01, 2015, 05:10:01 AM »
While the Air Asia disaster is tragic -- I don't understand why air traffic control denied the pilot's request to ascend above the thunderstorms on the flight path -- it technically does not come within the definition of the TAR disaster curse because it didn't happen in the time period between the filming and U.S. broadcast of the TAR 25 Singapore leg.

It is insane that the two airlines involved in the three air disasters of 2014are both headquartered in Mayalsia but so far, the issue of the weather and the ATC handling of the pilot's altitude request seem to be the main cause for concern and that may not be viewed as an airline safety problem. From what I know of the U.S. federal aviation regulations, a request of that kind from a pilot is to be granted unless there's something highly unusual that requires a denial. And I've not heard a thing along those lines.

Indonesia AirAsia has its headquarters in Tangerang, Indonesia, not Malaysia.
Fighter
Oximated
World gonna get up and see
Iím a warrior
Isolated

Offline Leilani

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #277 on: January 01, 2015, 04:41:59 PM »

The reports I've heard have indicated that a change in altitude at that point would have put them in the flight paths of other planes.  Supposedly they were told that they would be able to change altitude at a later point after they had cleared the other air traffic.  I'm not sure if that's what the media was told or if they're speculating on the second part.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
"Our fans are pretty good. They don't give away too much. Sometimes people love dropping spoilers, but our fans are good. They tend to do it in such a way that doesn't ruin it for fans who don't want to know."--Phil Keoghan

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • #BestSeasonEver
« Reply #279 on: January 04, 2015, 08:37:59 AM »

I think he's trying to mean that AirAsia belongs to Malaysia. And I think there were other plane crashes this year, including TransAsia in Taiwan plus an African airline... I think it's Ethiopian Airlines. These were the "major" commercial airlines crashes with many fatalities I think.
We are all misfits living in a world on fire.

Offline Air

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #280 on: January 04, 2015, 08:45:46 AM »

I think he's trying to mean that AirAsia belongs to Malaysia. And I think there were other plane crashes this year, including TransAsia in Taiwan plus an African airline... I think it's Ethiopian Airlines. These were the "major" commercial airlines crashes with many fatalities I think.

Indonesia AirAsia is not majority owned by AirAsia though. Also funfacts in terms of flights per fatal accident 2014 was the safest year ever. Also the African airline is Air Algerie.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 08:50:31 AM by Air »
Fighter
Oximated
Iím a warrior
Isolated

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #281 on: January 09, 2015, 06:46:23 PM »
Terrorist attacks in Paris, France. Sad.  :'(

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • #BestSeasonEver
« Reply #282 on: January 09, 2015, 10:22:11 PM »

Indonesia AirAsia is not majority owned by AirAsia though. Also funfacts in terms of flights per fatal accident 2014 was the safest year ever. Also the African airline is Air Algerie.

Yea, but the idea is that, AirAsia is still headquartered in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia and it is the parent company of Indonesia AirAsia..? #ImDoneHere lol
We are all misfits living in a world on fire.

Offline TAR456

• RFF Full Member
  • Amy & Maya's crash
« Reply #283 on: January 09, 2015, 11:44:42 PM »

Yea, but the idea is that, AirAsia is still headquartered in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia and it is the parent company of Indonesia AirAsia..? #ImDoneHere lol

They're affiliates, not owned by AirAsia.
I only care about female team to win or final 3!
Kym & Alli for All Stars please!
-------
TAR 19 Decisions Game: Liz & Marie, Final 4

Offline Air

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #284 on: January 10, 2015, 05:59:04 AM »

They're affiliates, not owned by AirAsia.

^^ (AirAsia do have a minority stake but it is majority owned by PT Fersindo Nusaperkasa (probably butchered that)), and has its HQ in Tangerang, Indonesia.
Fighter
Oximated
Iím a warrior
Isolated

Custom Search