Author Topic: TAR AU is going to the AACTA awards  (Read 5533 times)

Offline theamazingracer21

• RFF Frantic Poster
TAR AU is going to the AACTA awards
« on: December 03, 2012, 04:44:51 AM »
TAR is nominated for the 2013 AACTA awards.

AACTA AWARD FOR BEST REALITY TELEVISION SERIES
 • The Amazing Race Australia. David Gardner, Matthew Kowald. Seven Network
 • MasterChef Australia – Series 4. Tim Toni. Network Ten
 • My Kitchen Rules – Series 3. Matt Apps, Greg Swanborough, Evan Wilkes. Seven Network
 • The Voice. Julie Ward. Nine Network

AACTA AWARD FOR BEST DIRECTION IN TELEVISION
 • The Amazing Race Australia – Episode 1. Michael McKay. Seven Network
 • Beaconsfield. Glendyn Ivin. Nine Network
 • Howzat! Kerry Packer’s War – Part 1. Daina Reid. Nine Network
 • Jack Irish: Bad Debts. Jeffrey Walker. ABC 1

Sourse: http://www.tvtonight.com.au/2012/12/aacta-awards-2013-nominees.html

Offline Air

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • oh you speak french? oh man that's deep
Re: TAR AU is going to the AACTA awards
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 05:15:25 AM »
I think TARAus has got a real chance, it's been critically lauded a lot.

Offline Glamazon Racer

• "Expelliarmus"
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Don't wanna go to heaven without raising hell. ♥
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 05:46:53 AM »
MasterChef and The Voice are just disgusting, and MKR is decent, but if the people have got any taste, TAR should win it. ;)
I'd rather walk alone than let them throw dirty confetti. ♥

Offline tarauslover

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 07:10:35 AM »
The race will do well on an international level but us Aussies don't seem to love it as much which is utterly disappointing! They don't appreciate great television so watch The Voice win...ugh 1 season and I am already sick of the generic singing competition format.

Offline Glamazon Racer

• "Expelliarmus"
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 07:14:55 AM »
I completely agree with you, tarauslover. Australian taste in TV shows makes no sense to me. :P

I don't understand why people like cooking/singing shows so much, considering there are about 1000 of them, all basically working off the exact same format with some minor, obscure difference.

There is only one TAR.

Offline tarauslover

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, 07:21:26 AM »
I am not sure how much longer Masterchef can last, at least My Kitchen Rules has some sort of spice and drama not related to the food! The fact that Masterchef is producing a 'Professional' edition next year as well shows how much they're willing to milk it for...I wish they would do 2 seasons of TAR a year! That way we would have enough teams to choose from come a celebrity version in a few years time without audiences forgetting any of them (but then again who could forget teams like Lucy and Emilia!).
The international Emmy win for the race should've been more than enough to seal the deal for the 3rd series but so far I have heard NOTHING at all...

Offline Glamazon Racer

• "Expelliarmus"
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2012, 07:26:48 AM »
Yeah, I enjoy My Kitchen Rules because we get to witness team dynamics and relationships put to the test kinda like TAR, whereas other cooking shows are just pointless for me. (not to mention the amazing judges MKR has :hoot: :hoot: )

I wish they would do two seasons a year as well... :( But I will settle for one, as long as we actually get it every year... :(

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2012, 11:07:35 PM »
I thin TAR has a good chance as these awards are picked by critics not the public (like the loggies)

If TAR does not win, i will be happy with MKR, but if the voice or marsterchef win   :cmas15 :cmas15 :cmas15 :cmas15

Offline ZouLy

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • RFF's TAR Indonesia Representative
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2012, 03:15:06 AM »
I'm sorry to say guys....

but I think we just get "SLAMMED"...!!!   :groan: :gaah: (:;)

Directors slam Academy's race Save By Giles Hardie Dec. 6, 2012, 2:17 p.m.

"Not enough drama ... Grant Bowler hosts The Amazing Race Australia"

The Australian Directors Guild has taken a swipe at the Australian Academy of Cinema and Television Arts over the decision to pit three drama directors against an executive producer from a non-drama show in the best direction in television category in the academy's award nominations.

The guild has called on the academy to withdraw Michael McKay, the executive producer and director of The Amazing Race Australia from the nomination list, which was announced on Monday, and replace him with another drama director.

It strongly condemned “this disrespect of the drama director's profession”.

“We were just amazed. We read it when the nominations came out and thought it was a mistake,” the executive director of the guild, Kingston Anderson said. “To our surprise, it was deliberate. This is like comparing apples to oranges; it makes no sense.

“If AACTA wanted to honour directors in the reality or non-dramatic form, then they should have created a category for those directors.”

The chief executive officer of the academy, Damian Trewhella, said the category was for all directors.

“I understand the ADG's position and why they would like to restrict the award to drama directors,” he said. “Currently, we have just one award, which is called 'best direction in television', not 'best direction in a television drama'.

"Therefore, productions across all categories – drama, comedy, light entertainment, reality and children's – are eligible for the award.

“We acknowledge that there are significant distinctions between the role of the director on a drama and on a reality show, and that this does pose challenges when trying to assess them against each other. Perhaps this could be seen as a compromise, but we prefer to be inclusive, rather than exclusive, where possible.”

McKay, who is in Asia working on The Amazing Race Ukraine, won the best director award at the Asian Television Awards last year for the same episode of The Amazing Race Australia, and is “a little surprised by the ADG's reaction because the industry seems to be recognising directors across the board and their work".

"I respect that; they're clearly saying it isn't the exclusive domain of drama directors," McKay said. "I'm surprised the ADG wants to limit the category only to directors who make movies or telemovies or drama. There's a whole lot more. Maybe the ADG isn't proud of those directors.

“I'm the guinea pig. Was I surprised to be nominated? Yes. I'm so honoured to be nominated and when it's in this sort of category I get a bit embarrassed. To be in the category with those guys is very special. Early in my career I worked on drama and I know how hard that is, too.”

However, McKay does not think the nomination was a mistake.

“They want to honour directors full stop, not just drama directors. That's a real step forward for these awards," he said. "Some of those sports broadcasts are complicated. Same with the entertainment shows. Maybe next year whoever directs the AFL grand final – a massively complicated broadcast – will be in that category as well.”

Rather than expand the award, the Directors Guild wants to restrict it further, preventing light entertainment and comedy shows from qualifying.

“They shouldn't be in it,” Anderson said. “If it's going to be a director's award, which is what it is, then they should all be directors. It's like saying in the Olympics, 'We'll put a shot putter up against a swimmer'.

“If you're going to say the director of The Amazing Race should be up against the director of Beaconsfield, well, then surely the people in The Amazing Race should be up for best actors? That's the logic of that if they're doing the same thing. Would [academy board member] Sigrid Thornton like that?”

McKay rejected the comparison.

“I don't direct the competitors; it's more like a live sports event," he said. "My job is to ensure that we're getting the shots that we want. I conceived the opening arrivals and work with a great team of people to achieve and execute the plan. I do not direct the contestants once the race has started.”

He is a director though, McKay explains that he is officiall the director of The Amazing Race Australia, however his credit in the on-air list is not reflective of his role. “My credit on channel 7 is restricted to EP because of [network] credit restrictions and I don't like having a bunch of credits for myself anyway (people who are EP, director, writer, chief cook and bottle washer).”

As for the race he now finds himself in, McKay is a little embarrassed at receiving a personal nomination, as he is quick to acknowledge the work of his team.

“I wish the nominees all the best,” he said. “I'm not much for personal awards and, as always, I don't expect to win.”

http://www.murrayvalleystandard.com.au/story/1169292/directors-slam-academys-race/?cs=36

As the matter of fact the above article is the real drama and debates over TAR AUS  :mas25

TAR Aus Season 5 | Tough As Nails Season 2

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2012, 03:57:20 AM »
Hopefully it doesnt get denominated. The award is for "Best driection in TV" not "best direction in non scripted tv" so techicly it has the same right to be up there with those (horrible) dramas.

Offline Glamazon Racer

• "Expelliarmus"
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2012, 04:57:11 AM »
Hopefully it doesnt get denominated. The award is for "Best driection in TV" not "best direction in non scripted tv" so techicly it has the same right to be up there with those (horrible) dramas.

IKR. Whoever is complaining should go back to first grade and learn English... :res:

Offline tarauslover

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2012, 06:18:40 AM »
Don't worry guys even if Michael's nomination is taken away Season 3 will go ahead, I've just had some interesting news shared with me today.

Offline AR FAN

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2012, 10:27:10 AM »
Don't worry guys even if Michael's nomination is taken away Season 3 will go ahead, I've just had some interesting news shared with me today.
News!!  :cmas18 What news?? :secret