Author Topic: The Amazing Race Canada 1--Pre-Race Speculation  (Read 23909 times)

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Cookies with licorice, can't get better than this!
Re: The Amazing Race Canada
« Reply #75 on: December 03, 2012, 10:38:26 PM »
by the way, Canada can fly to anywhere in the world like The Amazing Race US?

Unfortunately not :(

See, even on the logo banner above, you can only see Canada map instead of the usual world map as the background  :tantrum

NOOOOOO.... :groan: I even have a cool route for the first season.... Well, that goes on the wishlist thread. :cmas51 :xmas110 :cmas51

List it ! Even though it will remain a wish

Okay, it was a Carribean to Europe to Asia to North America route as well.
<3 Family, friends, food, freedom... FULFILLED <3
----------------------------------------------------
TAR QUOTE OF THE MONTH November 2014
"Can I smash it now?" ~Brooke (of Brooke & Robbie; season 25, leg 6)

Offline Best Loser

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #76 on: December 03, 2012, 11:26:52 PM »
Countries which stayed within their borders all have population more then double Canada's so this is going to be not as exciting. ONly thing I can see interesting is people that don't speak french going into rural Quebec
But the population doesn't make a difference. Having the area it does is what will make this show interesting. If the Philippines and Vietnam can do diverse legs and show off several different sights, I'm sure a country that covers as much land as Canada can.

Offline Leafsfan

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #77 on: December 04, 2012, 12:13:25 AM »
More information:

10 episodes (10 legs?)
Cash will be the prize
Filming will be in late spring
and it will debut in mid summer.

TORONTO -- Producers of "The Amazing Race Canada" promise the show will stand shoulder-to-shoulder with its slick U.S. counterpart, even though competitors will never leave the country.
CTV executive Phil King says the network spent a lot of time debating whether or not to send competitors around the world. In the end, they relished the chance to showcase the country's diversity.
"We have one of the few countries in the world that you could do this in -- you couldn't do this in Norway," King said Monday, a day after "The Amazing Race" host Phil Keoghan announced the Canadian version during a commercial break of Sunday's broadcast.
PHOTOS

Canada is getting an 'Amazing Race' spinoff that will air next summer on CTV.

'The Amazing Race' host Phil Keoghan announced 'The Amazing Race Canada' will be airing on CTV this summer.
RELATED STORIES
CTV to air 'The Amazing Race Canada' series
MORE DETAILS
CTV.ca: The Amazing Race Canada
"But Canada (is) so diverse and not only in terms of land mass and climates -- whether you go from Vancouver to the north or in the Prairies (with their) varying climates all the time -- but even the people have very distinct cultures."
King says 10 one-hour episodes have been ordered and that casting will begin in the new year. Shooting will likely take place in late spring and the series will debut mid-summer.
Prizes have yet to be determined, but King says cash will be involved.
Canadian producer John Brunton, whose Toronto-based company Insight Productions was responsible for "Canadian Idol," "Canada's Got Talent" and the upcoming "Big Brother Canada," says the travel-based series has long been a favourite north of the border.
"It's a show that I think fans in Canada have been dying to participate in and it seemed like a natural project for CTV to want to dig their teeth into," Brunton said by phone while travelling with "The Amazing Race" crew as research.
The moment the show was greenlit, he says he jumped on a plane to join the ongoing U.S. race and glean tips on how to pull off a respectable Canuck take.
"It's an enormous production. And it's run-and-gun television. You are literally chasing people all over the country," he said, refusing to divulge which far-flung location he was speaking from Monday.
"It's got to be full of unpredictability and surprises."
King says the Emmy Award-winning team responsible for "The Amazing Race" will be close collaborators for "The Amazing Race Canada."
"They're our advisers and consultants on this and they will guide us on how to do this properly," he said, adding there will still be room for Canuck-flavoured twists.
"We may think we've got a new idea and they may point out, 'Yeah, this was actually tried five years ago in country X and it didn't work great.' So that's what's great about having such an experienced production team helping us. And they can suggest things to us that we maybe haven't thought of."
Similar spinoffs have already taken off in Australia, Brazil, China, France, Israel, Latin America, Norway, Philippines, Ukraine and Vietnam.
King says they want "The Amazing Race Canada" to be "a little bit like a love letter to Canada" but wouldn't rule out expanding the format if the show is a smash.
"We're not married to this forever, at all. Let's see how this plays out. We definitely can see having Canadians go around the world or go to a different country or something," he says.
"But for Year 1 we really wanted to focus on 'Amazing Race Canada' -- not just featuring Canadians but featuring Canada."

Read more: http://www.ctvnews.ca/entertainment/the-amazing-race-canada-to-be-a-love-letter-to-canada-ctv-exec-1.1064088#ixzz2E3qbZ000

OMG Last paragraph!

CANADA Lets make this a success!!
Map Maker (Just Pm me!)

Offline LoveRocked

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Yoo Jae Suk Running Man <33333333
« Reply #78 on: December 04, 2012, 12:24:00 AM »
Oh, WOW!

I think The Amazing Race Canada will try out to fly like The Amazing Race US did? Maybe, I hope so!
I really wish we could stay longer in the countries we visit, but I've been lucky to have visited most of them before, because I've done a tremendous amount of travel. - Phil Keoghan

The Amazing Race 22-23 is coming soon!

Offline Leafsfan

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #79 on: December 04, 2012, 12:32:05 AM »
Oh, WOW!

I think The Amazing Race Canada will try out to fly like The Amazing Race US did? Maybe, I hope so!

If they are not going province by province they have to fly. If they are going to any of the three territories then they have to fly. Also the interview says the producer was at a far flung location somewhere up north? perhaps its on the intinery?
Map Maker (Just Pm me!)

Offline Polaroid

• RFF's TAR Live Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #80 on: December 04, 2012, 05:59:58 AM »
King says they want "The Amazing Race Canada" to be "a little bit like a love letter to Canada" but wouldn't rule out expanding the format if the show is a smash.
"We're not married to this forever, at all. Let's see how this plays out. We definitely can see having Canadians go around the world or go to a different country or something," he says.
"But for Year 1 we really wanted to focus on 'Amazing Race Canada' -- not just featuring Canadians but featuring Canada."

And now I can be excited about The Amazing Race Canada! :xmas146

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #81 on: December 04, 2012, 07:05:23 AM »

So it's another The Amazing Race Asia, but Canadian. :lol: But for both, there's still A CHANCE they will fly out of Canada like United States, Iceland, Greenland, maybe even further out. :cmas16

Offline sharkshooter

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #82 on: December 04, 2012, 11:36:21 AM »

So it's another The Amazing Race Asia, but Canadian. :lol: But for both, there's still A CHANCE they will fly out of Canada like United States, Iceland, Greenland, maybe even further out. :cmas16
Don't forget France (Saint Pierre and Miquelon).

Summer is a good time - not a lot of good TV, so it will be a welcome addition to a boring season (TV-wise, that is).

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #83 on: December 04, 2012, 06:24:58 PM »

Don't forget France (Saint Pierre and Miquelon).

Summer is a good time - not a lot of good TV, so it will be a welcome addition to a boring season (TV-wise, that is).

Let's try to keep Canada's first step in the TAR waters a little bit more positive on their daring "China Rush"-esque attempt. :xmas146 It looks like it will be better than the Brazilian version... *runs into sign*. :lol:

Offline topaz

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #84 on: December 05, 2012, 09:17:34 PM »
only 10 legs?  I smell of a cheap grand prize of 50,000 euro just like on TAR France. :cmas4

p.s.
convert that value to a Canadian $.

Offline Leafsfan

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #85 on: December 05, 2012, 09:38:46 PM »
only 10 legs?  I smell of a cheap grand prize of 50,000 euro just like on TAR France. :cmas4

p.s.
convert that value to a Canadian $.

Imagine -.-

They are owned by billionaires its ridiculous. Look up Bellmedia its crazy how much they own in Canada. I have internet, cell phone and home phone with them =.=

Maybe I should protest by leaving them  :cmaslol :cmaslol
Map Maker (Just Pm me!)

Offline ZouLy

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • RFF's TAR Indonesia Representative
« Reply #86 on: December 06, 2012, 03:02:41 AM »

Just to warm up the discussion....

let's talk about :

'The Amazing Race Canada' Host: Who Should Helm The Reality Show?

OK, OK, we know that due to contractual obligations, most of these people couldn't realistically become the host of "The Amazing Race Canada." In fact, we're willing to bet that it'll be Ben Mulroney who gets the gig. But hey, it's fun to imagine, isn't it?

We've amassed a list of 23 Canadians who we think would do a good job as host, for one reason or another. All we can hope is that he/she matches the greatness that is the US' Phil Keoghan.

Did we miss anyone? Let us know below. You can also vote for your favourite contender in the slideshow.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2012/12/05/the-amazing-race-canada-host_n_2246115.html?utm_hp_ref=canada-tv#slide=1844181

Male Contenders :  (click to enlarge)

Ben Mulroney          Jonathan Torrens

Mike 'Pinball' Clemons          Rick Mercer

George Stroumboulopoulos            Howie Mandel

Colin Mochrie                         Jon Montgomery

Rick Campanelli            Frankie Flowers

Shaun Majumder         Michael Kuss

Ross Rebagliati          Trevor Linden

Daryn Jones

Female Contenders :

Leah Miller                Liza Fromer

Trish Stratus                                Nam Kiwanuka

Pay Chen                                   Ashleigh McIvor

Don't ever put {hashtag} '#amazingrace' if you don't want to be chased by RFF's TAR Detectives 8)

Offline Leafsfan

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #87 on: December 06, 2012, 09:31:42 AM »
My thoughts:

1) Mulroney - he hosts everything -.- and is most connected to most American viewers so I'd say he is the fav.
2) Torrens - Never heard of the guy
3) Clemons - Don't think he'd leave the Argos when they are struggling
4) Mercer - not leaving CBC
5) Stroumboulopoulos - Not leaving CBC
6) Mandel - What would NBC think of him hosting a rival channel's idea (even though in a diff. country)
7) Mochrie - Too old imo
8) Montgomery - Is still a currently active athlete training for Sochi 2014 I don't think so.
9) Flowers - Not leaving City TV
10) Majumder  - Not leaving CBC
11) Kuss - Possible as he works for CTV.
12) Rebagliati  - Retired Olympic gold medalist in snowboarding. Possible
13) Linden - Retired hockey player so possible
14) Jones - Haven't heard of him

Women

1) Leah Miller - Haven't heard of her
2) Liza Former - Don't think she would leave Global television
3) Stratus - Possibility as she hosted a travel show before and has experience (my favourite to host amongst women)
4) Kiwanuka - Haven't heard of her
5) Chen - Haven't heard of her
6)  McIvor - Recently retired Olympic Ski Cross champion, possibly looking for something to do now. She does have connections at CTV as they broadcast the last Olympics.
Map Maker (Just Pm me!)

Offline Best Loser

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #88 on: December 06, 2012, 10:02:35 AM »
Oh my gosh Colin Mochrie hosting The Amazing Race would be the greatest thing ever, and now that his name has been brought up I will be extremely disappointed if he doesn't.

Offline thepuffytaco

• RFF Not So Newbie
  • YOU ARE NEXT!
    • PakuPakuMedia
« Reply #89 on: December 06, 2012, 01:02:00 PM »
2) Torrens - Would be an excellent host. He was on Joe Schmo 2 and a regular on Trailer Park Boys
7) Mochrie - Great choice
3) Stratus - Great choice charismatic and isn't high maintenance.
4) Kiwanuka - Was great on much music

The rest are either the usual boring suspects or would nagatively impact the show because of their swarmy annoying attitude/persona (Campanelli and Mulroney)

Best choice for this AND Big Brother Canada should be Jason Agnew.
He hosts:
* Door to Door (for the travel network) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfmRqgDx534
* Splatalot (YTV/NickTV in the States) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55ELU01HQv4
* Conventioneers (BiteTV/YouTube) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VSpZtHByCw&feature=share&list=PL5E42ED128138285F NSFW
* Sunday Morning Trivia (CFRB1010 radio) - http://www.newstalk1010.com/Hosts/SundayMorning.aspx
* Live Audio Wrestling (TSN1050 et affliates) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-y2YD2O_zag

PLUS he goes to karaoke! He is funny, gets around (travelled all over Canada/US for Door to Door and Conventioneers), has edge and is willing to get into the spirit of things.

The fact that I plan to see him shave my friend tonight has NOTHING to do with me pimping him so hard.
NONE.
“Champagne for my real friends, real pain for my sham friends” ― Francis Bacon

Offline SuperTux

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #90 on: December 06, 2012, 10:38:50 PM »
Let's welcome The Amazing Race Canada Rush (another CR aside from China Rush) :cmaslol
好像用中文做签名档会比较酷。

Offline couchracer

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #91 on: December 07, 2012, 11:31:55 PM »
I think they should race from east to west. chase the sun. Colin or Howie.

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #92 on: December 08, 2012, 06:04:14 PM »
Howie is good at one-day game shows like Deal or No Deal and that upcoming Take It All mini-game show on NBC. I'm not sure about him handling long-term competitions. "Got Talent" wasn't very fun after Mandel replaced "The Hoff". :cmas12

I have a feeling Daryn Jones will be hosting. Haven't heard of him from B or athlete-classed celebrity level and Phil back in TAR1 and Grant Bowler wasn't very chatted around back when the shows premiered.

Offline toronto14

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #93 on: December 09, 2012, 05:52:33 PM »
I'm so excited for this, I'm applying!

Offline toronto14

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #94 on: December 10, 2012, 12:24:47 PM »
Phil Keoghan tweeted last week regarding TAR Canada, saying more details will be up soon but to prepare a 3 minut video and 540 words and to "get your application ready".

He also said "A2Qs abt vid 4 @AmazingRaceCDA the best audition tapes have nothing in common with each other watz ur story in 500 words, are u interesting?"

Offline ZouLy

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • RFF's TAR Indonesia Representative
« Reply #95 on: December 15, 2012, 05:59:03 PM »

This might be our first hint to one of the locations...!! :hoot:

Posted 3 hours ago
by: Athabasca Recreational Trails Association

Amazing Race coming to Alberta. Received an email to submit ideas for "hidden gem" locations for the a segment of the Canadain version of the Amazing Race this coming summer. So we will submit the Peace River Trail as a potential candidate. It's got history and cultural significance. It will also provide a unique experience.

Don't ever put {hashtag} '#amazingrace' if you don't want to be chased by RFF's TAR Detectives 8)

Offline LoveRocked

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Yoo Jae Suk Running Man <33333333
« Reply #96 on: December 15, 2012, 06:13:33 PM »
Who hosting of TAR Canada?
I really wish we could stay longer in the countries we visit, but I've been lucky to have visited most of them before, because I've done a tremendous amount of travel. - Phil Keoghan

The Amazing Race 22-23 is coming soon!

Offline Leafsfan

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #97 on: December 15, 2012, 08:07:58 PM »

This might be our first hint to one of the locations...!! :hoot:

Posted 3 hours ago
by: Athabasca Recreational Trails Association

Amazing Race coming to Alberta. Received an email to submit ideas for "hidden gem" locations for the a segment of the Canadain version of the Amazing Race this coming summer. So we will submit the Peace River Trail as a potential candidate. It's got history and cultural significance. It will also provide a unique experience.

Beauty of Canada. There is so many passionate fans we will probably know the route before the show begins lol

@Loverocked Not announced yet
Map Maker (Just Pm me!)

Offline a1mamacat

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I gotta cut back on the caffeine!!!
« Reply #98 on: December 16, 2012, 12:20:46 AM »
Ohhh, I could see some good tasks at Uculet, or Tofino, via the West Coast Trail on Vancouver Island. Crashing surf, pods of Orcas, or mountain biking through the forest.  Beautiful country and their could be some First Nations tasks involved.

Offline toronto14

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #99 on: December 19, 2012, 09:32:19 AM »
Another tweet from @PhilKeoghan "A to Qs about @AmazingRaceCDA casting details will be posted here http://CTV.ca/theamazingracecanadabefore the end of the year, includes FAQs"

Custom Search