Subscribe to the Big Brother Live Feeds

Author Topic: The Amazing Race Canada 1--Pre-Race Speculation  (Read 21694 times)

Offline Polaroid

• RFF's TAR Live Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: The Amazing Race Canada
« Reply #50 on: December 02, 2012, 09:30:17 PM »
video of the commercial

http://www.ctvnews.ca/entertainment/ctv-to-air-the-amazing-race-canada-series-1.1062991

I LOL'd At this comment

"Canadians have been wildly enthusiastic of having a Canadian version of Amazing Race to travel the WORLD.. not just Canada! What`s amazing about that??!! That sucks. What's next? Survivor Canada? Can they make it 30 days in a Saskatchewan wheat field? How thrilling."

LMAO!

:funny: :funny: :funny: The only thing that they'd be dying from is boredom!

And if Ben Mulroney is the host, that would just be the cherry on the cake!!!!!! :groan:

Offline Leafsfan

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #51 on: December 02, 2012, 09:34:16 PM »
From an internationals perspective I'm really excited about this, I don't know a hell of a lot about Canada so I'm looking forward to it. But yeah, if I was Canadian I too would be outraged. I was afraid the same thing would happen with TARAus :(

World Class Cities like Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver.
Rural communities
Hockey!
The North

Quick snapshot

Rip apskip

Map Maker (Just Pm me!)

Offline caper

• StartLine Finder Queen!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Full Member
« Reply #52 on: December 02, 2012, 09:50:54 PM »
Canada is very diverse and is absolutely breathtaking in its beauty (Proud Canadian here  :hrt: ) and yes I can see how racing within the country is possible for a full season .  That being said................ I wanted to see these diverse teams from across Canada racing around the WORLD!!! I am so disappointed  :'(   
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 10:30:33 PM by caper »

Offline Best Loser

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #53 on: December 02, 2012, 09:56:29 PM »
I understand their point of having it solely in Canada. CTV already has a version that shows off the world, why not have a version that shows off Canada? I'd personally love to have a real season take place solely in the US.

Offline Leafsfan

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #54 on: December 02, 2012, 09:57:27 PM »
I think the start line will be in Toronto somewhere.
Rip apskip

Map Maker (Just Pm me!)

Offline Kacper

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Phil rules!! :D
« Reply #55 on: December 02, 2012, 10:00:32 PM »
I understand their point of having it solely in Canada. CTV already has a version that shows off the world, why not have a version that shows off Canada? I'd personally love to have a real season take place solely in the US.

Didn't the family edition travel in the U.S. only? The ratings were really bad. I know that.
Survivor: Blood vs. Water premieres Wednesday, September 18, 2013 8/7C on CBS
The Amazing Race 23 premieres Sunday, September 29, 2013 8/7C on CBS

Offline Leafsfan

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #56 on: December 02, 2012, 10:33:46 PM »
Rip apskip

Map Maker (Just Pm me!)

Offline stunami

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #57 on: December 02, 2012, 11:08:49 PM »
I'm thinking more of a West Coast/East Coast start, like Vancouver or Halifax
Toronto would make sense but it's kinda in the middle so logistically it would not be efficiant.
At first I was really dissapointed, but you know this is better than nothing.. I really believe they could have gone to the Us, or like Cuba/DR/HAITI i don't know...

Offline ZouLy

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • RFF's TAR Indonesia Representative
« Reply #58 on: December 03, 2012, 02:10:23 AM »

Haven't seen anyone posted this banner here yet,..

I'm really happy for this, and keep wanting to happen the same in Indonesia.. why the neighbourhood Philippines can afford to buy the franchise but Indo don't..  :groan:

Don't ever put {hashtag} '#amazingrace' if you don't want to be chased by RFF's TAR Detectives 8)

Offline LoveRocked

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Yoo Jae Suk Running Man <33333333
« Reply #59 on: December 03, 2012, 05:51:22 AM »
by the way, Canada can fly to anywhere in the world like The Amazing Race US?
I really wish we could stay longer in the countries we visit, but I've been lucky to have visited most of them before, because I've done a tremendous amount of travel. - Phil Keoghan

The Amazing Race 22-23 is coming soon!

Offline ZouLy

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • RFF's TAR Indonesia Representative
« Reply #60 on: December 03, 2012, 06:32:38 AM »

Unfortunately not :(

See, even on the logo banner above, you can only see Canada map instead of the usual world map as the background  :tantrum

Don't ever put {hashtag} '#amazingrace' if you don't want to be chased by RFF's TAR Detectives 8)

Offline redwings8831

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #61 on: December 03, 2012, 08:17:44 AM »

Canada can. This show isn't.

Offline Flamant

• RFF Sr. Member
  • Lumilia <3
« Reply #62 on: December 03, 2012, 08:27:37 AM »
At first I was disappointed, but then, seeing a picture of my own backyard on the top banner (the Parliament), I really hope they come to Ottawa :lol:

Offline sharkshooter

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #63 on: December 03, 2012, 09:21:54 AM »
I would also like to see the racers in live action, but if Ben Mulroney hosts, I likely won't watch it on TV.

Offline caper

• StartLine Finder Queen!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Full Member
« Reply #64 on: December 03, 2012, 09:31:05 AM »
I think they should have a host who represents travel in and out of Canada- maybe a host of an adventure travel program.  For example : I don't know if anyone here watches Which Way To..... (I love this show) The hosts are 3 brothers (the Eagar brothers) and any one of them would make an awesome host!!! (Just my 2 cents)  :)

Offline walkingpneumonia

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Moderator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #65 on: December 03, 2012, 09:43:39 AM »
Outrage at Not So Amazing Race Canada?
So we finally get an Amazing Race Canada, but it looks like its going to be lame version of the American race - with teams not leaving Canada.
Why would CTV do this? Take a well established successful show formula and turn it into a documentary style travelogue?

Its all about the money…
…and the huge success that TAR US has been in Canada.
Every fall and spring television season, CTV sends a  bucketful of money to Disney-ABC Domestic Television in return for the rights to broadcast TAR US.
I don't know how much money it is, but this has been a relationship that has been profitable for the last 10 years, with TAR US being one of the most popular shows in Canada.
Because TAR US is so successful in Canada, CTV can charge advertisers a lot of money to include their commercials during the broadcast.
Disney-ABC is very hesitant to jeopardize this profitable relationship - so they include a non-compete clause with the distribution rights. CTV is not allowed to air a competitive show that might draw viewers and advertising revenue from TAR US.
Now it seems that Disney-ABC has relented somewhat in return for the franchise fees that TAR Canada will pay. But they still are not allowing TAR Canada to be in any way competitive with TAR US.
You need only read between the lines of the CTV announcement:
"the network has ordered THE AMAZING RACE CANADA, a Canadian-produced, complementary version of the hit international series".
Complimentary is the key word here - not competitive.
And:
"CTV has licensed the Canadian format rights from Disney-ABC Domestic Television and has selected Insight Productions to produce the series in Canada, with the support of Profiles Television."
  Note that it says Canadian format rights - not series format rights. Its a different format that has been licensed in Canada, not the original format.

Is CTV being "cheap" by running a Canada only race?
Due to non-competition, CTV is forced to broadcast TAR Canada in the summer television season, when there are fewer viewers and hence fewer advertising dollars available to CTV. This means the revenue that TAR Canada produces for CTV will be much smaller than what TAR US produces for them. Which means a much smaller budget for the show. And there is no way the show can be produced at a loss - BellMedia would never allow it.
Depending on how the ratings go for season one, I wouldn't be surprised if the next edition of the show has a larger budget. But I still don't think we'll see a full TAR for Canada.

The Big Brother US effect
A wildcard in this is that Big Brother US will be broadcast during the same summer time period on GlobalTV. How much time are Canadians willing to commit to reality TV during the summer?
Will TAR Canada be allowed to compete for viewers vs Big Brother US? Its a CBS show that is broadcast on Global TV in the summer.
Interesting to note that Big Brother Canada is being produced by Insight Productions as well, so in theory they could have two shows being broadcast at the same time and competing against each other.

How did the Australians manage to get a "full" international race?
TAR AUS is broadcast in the Australian winter - the prime viewing time for television. Predicted advertising revenues for TAR AUS were great enough to budget for a full scale race. And there is no way an Australian version would compete with the US version so they weren't saddled with the same restrictions.

Will we ever see a full international version of TAR Canada?
I don't think Canada will see a full international version until TAR US "jumps the shark". (Like a celebrity version) Once there is a cancellation of at least one season of TAR US, TAR Canada can be broadcast during a high ratings period in Canada, which should allow a larger budget and a "real" race.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 11:29:45 AM by walkingpneumonia »
From there to here, and here to there,
funny things are everywhere

Offline Leafsfan

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #66 on: December 03, 2012, 10:15:08 AM »
Big Brother Canada will be broadcast in the winter-spring actually
Rip apskip

Map Maker (Just Pm me!)

Offline walkingpneumonia

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Moderator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #67 on: December 03, 2012, 11:30:28 AM »
Big Brother Canada will be broadcast in the winter-spring actually
Thanks - I was getting the versions confused - edited my post.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #68 on: December 03, 2012, 03:09:59 PM »
To be accurate, China and the U.S. Family Edition weren't the only basically one-country formats in the past; before TAR Latin America, the Brazilians also had a local all within Brazil edition.
-- theschnauzers

Offline walkingpneumonia

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Moderator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #69 on: December 03, 2012, 03:29:36 PM »
To be accurate, China and the U.S. Family Edition weren't the only basically one-country formats in the past; before TAR Latin America, the Brazilians also had a local all within Brazil edition.
The U.S. Family Edition did travel outside of the U.S. - to Panama, Costa Rica and Canada.

Offline Best Loser

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #70 on: December 03, 2012, 04:59:58 PM »
The U.S. Family Edition did travel outside of the U.S. - to Panama, Costa Rica and Canada.
And for that matter, the Brazilian version had legs in Chile also.

Offline topaz

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #71 on: December 03, 2012, 09:09:51 PM »

See, even on the logo banner above, you can only see Canada map instead of the usual world map as the background  :tantrum
It's for the 1st season only, I think and these are also the same thing as on TAR Philippines and Vietnam as well.

Offline Leafsfan

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #72 on: December 03, 2012, 09:35:54 PM »
Countries which stayed within their borders all have population more then double Canada's so this is going to be not as exciting. ONly thing I can see interesting is people that don't speak french going into rural Quebec
Rip apskip

Map Maker (Just Pm me!)

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Cookies with licorice, can't get better than this!
« Reply #73 on: December 03, 2012, 10:25:31 PM »

NOOOOOO.... :groan: I even have a cool route for the first season.... Well, that goes on the wishlist thread. :cmas51 :xmas110 :cmas51
<3 Family, friends, food, freedom... FULFILLED <3
----------------------------------------------------
TAR QUOTE OF THE MONTH July 2014
"Too hot to handle." ~Phil (of Phil Keoghan <3; season 11, Leg 6)

Offline Leafsfan

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #74 on: December 03, 2012, 10:30:48 PM »

NOOOOOO.... :groan: I even have a cool route for the first season.... Well, that goes on the wishlist thread. :cmas51 :xmas110 :cmas51

List it ! Even though it will remain a wish
Rip apskip

Map Maker (Just Pm me!)

Custom Search