Author Topic: Dom's Ranking of Amazing Race teams  (Read 5552 times)

Offline Dom

• RFF Timeliner
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Dom's Ranking of Amazing Race teams
« on: November 13, 2012, 04:07:46 PM »
Someone pointed out to me the other day that the method of ranking teams by average position is a bit flawed. It doesn't take into account how many teams competed in each leg. Coming 3rd in a leg of 11 is surely more impressive than coming 3rd out of 3, right?

With that in mind, I've come up with a system that I think is a much more balanced and fairer way to rank teams, rewarding high positions early in the race and punishing low positions in the latter stages of the race. It is also a lot more forgiving to 'blips', whereas a bad finish usually destroys a team's average position.

The math behind it is pretty simple. I messed around with a few ridiculously complicated methods, but it seems like the best spread comes from this formula:

Adjusted Position = (Position * 10) / (Teams in the leg + 1)

From this, we can figure out a team's Adjusted Position on each leg of the race. Finishing first in a leg of 11 gives you an AP of 0.83, while a win at the finish line only gets 2.50, which the system deems to be of the same difficulty as finishing 3rd on a leg of 11.

Anyway, enough of the technical stuff. What do the rankings look like?

Rank   TeamFinal Pos   Season   Adjusted Score   Average Pos. Rank
1Rachel & Dave1202.312
2Meghan & Cheyne1152.443
3Tammy & Victor1142.906
4Eric & Jeremy292.911
5Rob & Amber8112.9121
6Nick & Starr1133.1010
7Kris & Jon263.114
8Art & JJ2203.275
9Colin & Christie253.3711
10Tyler & James1103.4013

What a difference! Let's try and make sense of it all. Eric & Jeremy are the biggest losers, falling from 1st place to 4th in the rankings. Sure, they only finished below 2nd once, but their final four legs were run with only 3 other teams twice and 2 other teams twice, and the guys failed to win any of them.

Rob & Amber are the highest jumpers. When you take the actual average position, their single 8th placed finished kinda pollutes their incredible feat of winning the first three legs (a feat that remains unsurpassed). This system recognises that achievement and sees it as much more impressive than winning three legs later in the race.

So what does this mean for the TAR 21 racers? Well only Abbie & Ryan are still in with a shot of breaking into this top ten. But where do they rank at the moment? Below is the same table but with only the first six legs counted.

Rank   TeamFinal Pos   Season   Adjusted Score   Average Pos. Rank
1Eric & Jeremy291.431
2Art & JJ2201.672
3Kris & Jon262.112
4Abbie & Ryan?212.122
5Ken & Gerard332.246
6Joe & Bill312.334
7Meghan & Cheyne1152.499
8BJ & Tyler192.555
9Andy & Tommy4192.6010
10Rachel & Dave1202.618

As you can see, even though they have the same Average Position as Art & JJ and Kris & Jon (2.00), Abbie & Ryan's Adjusted Position is only slightly lower.

What do you think? Is this system a fairer way to rank Amazing Race teams?

Offline Best Loser

• RFF Frantic Poster
Re: Dom's Ranking of Amazing Race teams
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 04:33:03 PM »
I don't think it's fairer. In my opinion, any system that rewards a team that only completed four legs is flawed. I also feel that a leg win should be a constant throughout the legs.

I think it's an interesting way to look at it, though.

Online Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • R.F.F. Game Host A.A.R.G. 11
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 05:36:01 PM »
Dom, somebody believes in your new method!  :lol:

Ryan Danz ‏@RyanDanz

Fans of #AmazingRace - check out the all time "strongest" teams based on this revised calculation http://forum.realityfanforum.com/index.php/topic,28115.msg815552/topicseen.html
"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains - however improbable - must be the truth." - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

"No person deserves your tears, and who deserves them will not make you cry." - Gabriel García Márquez

Offline Theo

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • 2020 mood
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 06:12:55 PM »
What about using Billboard chart method for determining Billboard-Year-End-Chart?

If one team comes in first in one leg of 11, they'll get point: 11, while the last team got 1.
If one team comes in first in one leg of 10, they'll get point: 10, while the last team got 1.
Like those until the final leg, but I don't know the best way to count the average. :lol:

I don't think it's fairer. In my opinion, any system that rewards a team that only completed four legs is flawed. I also feel that a leg win should be a constant throughout the legs.

Yes, I agree with Best Loser, but it's good to see from different point of view :tup:
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 06:17:36 PM by Theodorus »
TAR Jeopardy Revival: here

Offline Polaroid

• RFF's TAR Live Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2012, 02:40:38 AM »

I second this thought. It's challenging trying to balance high placement in early legs but early elimination, compared to making it further in the race but not doing so well.

PS, hi Ryan if you're out there? :lol:

Offline Air

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • oh you speak french? oh man that's deep
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, 03:34:46 AM »

I second this thought. It's challenging trying to balance high placement in early legs but early elimination, compared to making it further in the race but not doing so well.

PS, hi Ryan if you're out there? :lol:

PPS, sign up and chat to us.  :lol: