RFF Archive > The Amazing Race 22

AR22 Transportation

<< < (32/41) > >>

georgiapeach:

--- Quote from: apskip on March 25, 2013, 03:13:52 PM ---
--- Quote from: georgiapeach on March 25, 2013, 02:43:42 PM ---There is an Insider vid saying that teams travelled for 4 days getting to Botswana. :ascared

--- End quote ---

Peach, thanks for directing me to the Insider video with Katie stating "it took us 4 days and 6 flights to get to Maun." I say that's rubbish, as that would be highly unlikely from what we know about flights! The Amazing Line for flights on last night's telecast  showed HAN to HKG to JNB. With the actual flight information for the relevant dates and those routes I cited above, here is what I believe happened:

Nov. 23 (although everything could be moved one day if there was some extended pit stop we do not know about and cannot take into account - HAN HKG
Nov. 23 - departure HKG (same comment)
Nov. 24 - arrival JNB and transfer JNB MUB arriving early afternoon (same comment); there was obviously an overnight in Maun although I would have flown them out to the Makgadikgali Pans and made them sleep on cots!
Nov. 25 - final flight MUB to Xhumaga airstrip departing between 9am and 930am

That's exactly 4 flights, with it very unlikely that any alternate routes from HKG to JNB were used. It happened in total elapsed time of an apparent 47 hours plus the time zone difference of 5 hours between HKG and MUB, for a real total of approximately 52 hours in route. That's not 4 days no matter how you look at it.

Perhaps Katie was adding in the overnight hours in Hanoi, but that still would not get it to more than 63 hours (2.7 days).

--- End quote ---

remember we have the ACTUAL flight and DATE used HAN>>HK

http://forum.realityfanforum.com/index.php/topic,28045.msg818041.html#msg818041

I quoted all times as it happened in my time, should be an easy conversion. :tup:

apskip:
Peach:

"Nov. 23 (although everything could be moved one day if there was some extended pit stop we do not know about and cannot take into account) - HAN HKG

So you can change all the dates I cited to one day later and all the flights still work plus there are additional flights in each of the same time frame going on the same routes:

HAN HKG
KA296 1055 1333 or WN592 1040 1322

HKG JNB
SA287 2333 0644+1 or CX749 2345 0620+1

We do not have precise times for JNB MUB, just these schedules for every day:  BP212 1140 1320 or 4Z8300 1145 1325

We can assume that leg 6 did not reach Maun until Nov. 26 and with leg 27 probably beginning early on Nov. 27 leg 8 could not be earlier than Nov. 28. If there was an extended pit stop in Africa, then it could have been Nov. 29.

Fights MUB JNB are the same schedules for Nov. 28 and Nov. 29; we have those as 4Z8301 1400 1540 or BP211 1420 1600

We now have the nonstop flight JNB ZRH as Nov. 28 LX289 2102 0616+1 or Nov. 29 LX289 2048 0611+1

Chateau d If:

--- Quote from: apskip on March 25, 2013, 03:13:52 PM ---
--- Quote from: georgiapeach on March 25, 2013, 02:43:42 PM ---There is an Insider vid saying that teams travelled for 4 days getting to Botswana. :ascared

--- End quote ---

Peach, thanks for directing me to the Insider video with Katie stating "it took us 4 days and 6 flights to get to Maun." I say that's rubbish, as that would be highly unlikely from what we know about flights! The Amazing Line for flights on last night's telecast  showed HAN to HKG to JNB. With the actual flight information for the relevant dates and those routes I cited above, here is what I believe happened:

Nov. 23 (although everything could be moved one day if there was some extended pit stop we do not know about and cannot take into account - HAN HKG
Nov. 23 - departure HKG (same comment)
Nov. 24 - arrival JNB and transfer JNB MUB arriving early afternoon (same comment); there was obviously an overnight in Maun although I would have flown them out to the Makgadikgali Pans and made them sleep on cots!
Nov. 25 - final flight MUB to Xhumaga airstrip departing between 9am and 930am

That's exactly 4 flights, with it very unlikely that any alternate routes from HKG to JNB were used. It happened in total elapsed time of an apparent 47 hours plus the time zone difference of 5 hours between HKG and MUB, for a real total of approximately 52 hours in route. That's not 4 days no matter how you look at it.

Perhaps Katie was adding in the overnight hours in Hanoi, but that still would not get it to more than 63 hours (2.7 days).

--- End quote ---

I believe the four day comment is valid when you consider it as the number of calendar days touched in the process of getting from Hanoi to the first task of the leg.

November 23rd:  Teams are released beginning at 10:40 pm
November 24th:  Teams take their flights from HAN to HKG (and HKG to JNB with its takeoff at 11:45 pm)
November 25th:  Teams land at JNB and take their flights to MUB and spending the night waiting for the charter flights in the morning
November 26th:  Teams take their charter flights starting at 9:00 am

There!  Four days.

apskip:
Chateau,
Is the glass half empty or half full? It depends on how you look at it. Although Katie and you are technically correct that 4 total days (one for only 26 minutes) were involved, it was still only 2.7 days elapsed time. I find what you and Katie are stating very misleading.

theschnauzers:
Another element to consider is the number of time zones involved in the travel. That's more of a subjective sense for the racers actually doing the traveling.

Which is a roundabout way of saying that for the teams, it must have felt like four days of travel, and teams would have had to get ready for their release from the pit stop in Hanoi, especially if they got to sleep during their rest period. So I can understand that perception of four days in the comment.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version