Author Topic: Ep 3 East Coast SHOW updates and commentary ** please read the rules**  (Read 30558 times)

Offline supah

• RFF Frantic Poster
Re: Ep 3 East Coast SHOW updates and commentary ** please read the rules**
« Reply #100 on: October 15, 2012, 01:07:14 AM »
Not a bad episode! Although I do have complaints :lol:
The Roadblock was good on paper, but it was made to look easy and it didn't really take that long :(
Loved the travelling clue on the train!
I enjoyed the Detour, there isn't much they could've done to make it better or worse.
BLIND Double U-Turn? Love it!
I think it was nice to see a Pit Stop in a high school, something different for a change.
I am not a fan of mid-leg travel, especially when it separates teams by a large margin of time. They could've had the Roadblock in Bangil as well - location doesn't matter because Padang food is from Sumatra and I'm pretty sure Surabaya isn't in Sumatra?

Trey & Lexi are awesome! Just saying
Lexi saying they would U-Turn the Divorcees is very obvious foreshadowing! We should keep an eye on that
I'm surprised Abbie & Ryan haven't had a meltdown yet. I still like them and I hope that doesn't change!
Still loving the Chippendales! Especially Jaymes! :lol:
James & Abba are definitely the dark horses of the race. They race well, they have the brains and brawns, but choose to be lone rangers... it's a good strategy but *cough* Jet & Cord *cough*
I love Natalie & Nadiya. They have their mind set to it and they want to achieve, so good on them! My favourite moment was when they were at the U-Turn and Natalie was like "is our picture cute?" and Nadiya said "shut up Natalie!" :lol:

Last but not least, the blondes. I was really hoping for a Dustin & Kandice 3.0 :( Caitlin didn't do much, but I noticed during their race she was always ahead and Brittany was straggling behind. Their elimination was bittersweet, I'll miss them because I liked them and I wanted to see them go far, but if they did go far, we would get to see more of their personality, and after watching this episode, it could've possibly not been a nice one :(

That was such a great moment when the blondes passed the teachers and then they went left and the teachers went right! :lol:
One last thing - WAY too early for a U-Turn!

Pretty good season so far :)

ETA: The music that was played when the Twinnies were running for the train! I miss pre-HD music!
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 01:47:34 AM by supah3ro »

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #101 on: October 15, 2012, 03:00:43 AM »
I know peachies gonna agree with me on this.

U-TURN before pitstop....????????????? :knuckles: :umn: :knuckles: :umn: :knuckles: :umn:

In this case, thank goodness Gary and Will were not eliminated because the blondes suck more than them. Who would have expected? Looking at how they were able to complete the task and still check-in before the blondes... FULL CREDITS given to them.

As for the blondes. They honestly deserved to go home. Sad to watch a team get eliminated due to bad "cab" in this case bad drivers, but.... how come they are the only ones with bad drivers throughout? Makes you realize whether is it their attitude.

Offline starrynight

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #102 on: October 15, 2012, 03:41:54 AM »
Nobody deserves to go home because of getting lots of bad taxis.  I heard excuses from people on another forum about the last episode with people saying they can't have tried different taxis (even though they did).  I think people want to think the right elimination happened and so think badly of whoever gets eliminated.  I actually liked their passion for the race, which I think was better than the team that survived.  I suspected they would get eliminated though because they showed them being overly confident in an earlier interview segment.

The tasks still pretty much suck, either too easy or too quick.  The main drama is still who gets the most bad taxi drivers.  Maybe they should make the taxi drivers the stars of the show?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 06:43:17 AM by starrynight »

Offline supah

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #103 on: October 15, 2012, 03:45:13 AM »
I think we need a team of taxi drivers next season!

Offline Theo

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • 2020 mood
« Reply #104 on: October 15, 2012, 03:59:21 AM »
I think we need a team of taxi drivers next season!
:hearts:
TAR Jeopardy Revival: here

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #105 on: October 15, 2012, 04:51:46 AM »
TRUE THAT!!!!! :lol3:

Offline Reilly Queens

• RFF's Game Queen
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • DESTINY
« Reply #107 on: October 15, 2012, 08:05:11 AM »
Omg thank god

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #108 on: October 15, 2012, 08:19:04 AM »
3 Hours between trains :oh
1050am - 736am = 3 1/4 hours between trains.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #109 on: October 15, 2012, 08:31:13 AM »

The teams on the train are getting pretty competitive. They're all willing to U-Turn.

Huh? Not one of the first 6 teams elected to U-turn anybody. Since they had no knowledge of what was going on for the way-behind second group, only the first group would have been a potential target. Although some teams made it sound altruistic, their decision not to U-Turn anyone made perfect sense. It preserves their right to U-turn for any that happen later in the race. If they had used it on any other team, the 15 minutes or so that it cost that team would not have made any appreciable difference in the finish results.

Offline Polaroid

• RFF's TAR Live Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #110 on: October 15, 2012, 08:38:23 AM »

The teams on the train are getting pretty competitive. They're all willing to U-Turn.

Huh? Not one of the first 6 teams elected to U-turn anybody. Since they had no knowledge of what was going on for the way-behind second group, only the first group would have been a potential target. Although some teams made it sound altruistic, their decision not to U-Turn anyone made perfect sense. It preserves their right to U-turn for any that happen later in the race. If they had used it on any other team, the 15 minutes or so that it cost that team would not have made any appreciable difference in the finish results.

I was referring to the second train because at that time, most of the teams on the first train had already arrived at the pit stop.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #111 on: October 15, 2012, 09:09:21 AM »
Caitlin & Brittany's driver got them lost. They switch drivers. Gary & Will arrive at the U-Turn before Caitlin & Brittany. They can't decide whether to U-Turn Caitlin & Brittany or Rob & Kelley because they don't know who is behind. Commercial.

If the U-Turn wasn't blind, they would have known Caitlin & Brittany were the only team behind them. :oh

How would Gary/Will have known? They did not know due to the anonymous aspect that Rob/Kelley U-turned them and those 3 teams were the only ones on the 1050am train to Bangil.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #112 on: October 15, 2012, 10:16:47 AM »
Caitlin & Brittany's driver got them lost. They switch drivers. Gary & Will arrive at the U-Turn before Caitlin & Brittany. They can't decide whether to U-Turn Caitlin & Brittany or Rob & Kelley because they don't know who is behind. Commercial.

If the U-Turn wasn't blind, they would have known Caitlin & Brittany were the only team behind them. :oh

How would Gary/Will have known? They did not know due to the anonymous aspect that Rob/Kelley U-turned them and those 3 teams were the only ones on the 1050am train to Bangil.

I think what was meant was - If it's not blind U-TURN, Rob and Kelley would have to plant their face on the U-TURN board. As a result, Gary and Will will most likely U-TURN the blondes (whether or not they are behind doesn't matter, since it's worth a shot anyway) and not the monster truckers. :)

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #113 on: October 15, 2012, 11:08:21 AM »

Four Teams on the 10:50 am train.   :waves:
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline Best Loser

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #114 on: October 15, 2012, 11:42:21 AM »
Nobody deserves to go home because of getting lots of bad taxis.  I heard excuses from people on another forum about the last episode with people saying they can't have tried different taxis (even though they did).  I think people want to think the right elimination happened and so think badly of whoever gets eliminated.  I actually liked their passion for the race, which I think was better than the team that survived.  I suspected they would get eliminated though because they showed them being overly confident in an earlier interview segment.

The tasks still pretty much suck, either too easy or too quick.  The main drama is still who gets the most bad taxi drivers.  Maybe they should make the taxi drivers the stars of the show?

Taxis have always been part of the show. A bad driver isn't anything new.

Offline starrynight

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #115 on: October 15, 2012, 01:11:47 PM »
And I've never liked it causing eliminations.  Anyway it isn't taxi driver (singular), we are talking about loads of them.  So if people get out of one bad taxi they just get another crap one.  That just makes a farce of the show as a race between racers.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #116 on: October 15, 2012, 01:52:09 PM »
I know bad cabs should never be the reason to eliminate a team (Amy and Daniel and the blondes)... but sometimes teams just have to be decisive and leave or grab another cab if they sense something is wrong. I know it's easy for us to say but when on the real race, situations and scenarios are different.

HOWEVER, for Caitlin and Brittany's case, I was shocked when they realized that Gary and Will turned another direction, AND they knew how badly their driver sucked, didn't stop him immediately and follow them till death. It was their lack of decision making that caused them the race. The blondes knew that they could outrun those two any day, so why split apart? If both teams go the wrong direction, then so be it.. at least they are together. It is very different from Amy and Daniel's case where everything is out of their control and even though they abandoned their cab, it was too late. The blondes had the choice to make a decision to follow Gary and Will, instead of going left... but they didn't. And that caused their elimination, IMHO.

Offline Plaidmoon

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #117 on: October 15, 2012, 02:16:23 PM »
I know bad cabs should never be the reason to eliminate a team (Amy and Daniel and the blondes)... but sometimes teams just have to be decisive and leave or grab another cab if they sense something is wrong. I know it's easy for us to say but when on the real race, situations and scenarios are different.

HOWEVER, for Caitlin and Brittany's case, I was shocked when they realized that Gary and Will turned another direction, AND they knew how badly their driver sucked, didn't stop him immediately and follow them till death. It was their lack of decision making that caused them the race. The blondes knew that they could outrun those two any day, so why split apart? If both teams go the wrong direction, then so be it.. at least they are together. It is very different from Amy and Daniel's case where everything is out of their control and even though they abandoned their cab, it was too late. The blondes had the choice to make a decision to follow Gary and Will, instead of going left... but they didn't. And that caused their elimination, IMHO.

I agree with the above. I'll also point out that Nadiya and Natalie were very decisive about switching cabs early on when it became apparent that their driver didn't know where he was going. Given the situation, it didn't help them out much (after dropping the plates at the restaurant, they were probably going to miss the train anyway), but it was still a good and smart move.

I also thought that Gary and Will offering the driver more money to pedal faster after being passed by the Blondes was a good idea too. That may have made some difference at the end since they were probably running slower than Caitlin and Brittany.

Offline starrynight

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #118 on: October 15, 2012, 02:35:26 PM »
But I thought they did change taxi drivers several times during the day, same with the team which was eliminated last week.  How are they supposed to know whether they have finally got a decent taxi driver or not?  I think, again, it's just people making excuses for the result to try and make the race look better.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #119 on: October 15, 2012, 02:41:48 PM »
But I thought they did change taxi drivers several times during the day, same with the team which was eliminated last week.  How are they supposed to know whether they have finally got a decent taxi driver or not?  I think, again, it's just people making excuses for the result to try and make the race look better.

Starry, your argument is very flawed. You apparently need to watch the episode again to know that the blondes did not change their driver even though he had brought them in the wrong direction (opposite in fact) to the U-TURN location.

If your point is that we are trying to find excuses to try and make the race look better, the same thing can be said about your attitude in insisting that this season of the race is pathetic, which makes me wonder... why are you still watching the show then? :lol:

The truth is the truth, the blondes got eliminated even without a U-TURN. They told the driver to bring them back to the original Detour location because they did not know where to go nor did they direct their driver properly. I like the blondes over Gary and Will and was rooting for them to NOT get eliminated. But honestly speaking, the blondes have no one to blame but themselves for their elimination ultimately. (Although i still think 50% is the cab's fault) :lol:

Offline starrynight

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #120 on: October 15, 2012, 05:46:21 PM »
It's true that it is better to go with other teams than alone.  However at that point at the end of a leg they had to either follow the other team immediately or go in the other direction.  If there wasn't another taxi available at that point they would have had to wait for a while and probably wouldn't have been able to catch up with the other team anyway.  And assuming they were going in the right direction (being positive which people here apparently wanted them to be) they would have had a head start on the other team.  I suspect they didn't go very far in the other direction anyway and the editing just seemed to make it look like that. 

And of course the editing isn't really very clear in this program anyway.  We don't know exactly how many problems they had, exactly what the problems where with the taxi drivers and at what point they changed etc.   So much of this is actually complete speculation.  But normally an eliminated team won't be shown in the best light in the program.  And I definitely saw them getting out of a taxi at one point to get another, I'm pretty sure they didn't stick to one taxi all the time.  Indeed with their frustration over the taxis the likelihood of them just keeping with one through the leg would be very remote.  Looking at the interview apskip posted:  Brittany "We just had a day of bad drivers."  And that interview also shows that he had taken them to the pitstop before so it really was reasonable for them to think he knew where it was.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 06:10:36 PM by starrynight »

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #121 on: October 15, 2012, 08:21:09 PM »
...nvm, I don't think you get it. :lol:

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #122 on: October 15, 2012, 09:36:47 PM »
Keep in mind that the editors do tell you things by implication; if a team keeps having problems with one taxi driver (or a series) they may show a couple of quick clips of those without beating us over the head about it, especially in this phase of the Race with a lot of teams, and multiple locations to cover. The blondes were shown making all sorts of mistakes before that last ride to the pit stop. They wasted a lot of time trying to find the location for the U-Turn, and kept going over the same (incorrect) territory without thinking it through.
I can;t believe they didn't ask locals about the location they were given, because it seems to me any resident would have recognized the intersection with little trouble. So their elimination was due to their making mistakes that were even bigger than Gary-Will, who seem to make enough of them as it is.
-- theschnauzers

Offline starrynight

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #123 on: October 16, 2012, 06:28:25 AM »
Keep in mind that the editors do tell you things by implication; if a team keeps having problems with one taxi driver (or a series) they may show a couple of quick clips of those without beating us over the head about it, especially in this phase of the Race with a lot of teams, and multiple locations to cover. The blondes were shown making all sorts of mistakes before that last ride to the pit stop. They wasted a lot of time trying to find the location for the U-Turn, and kept going over the same (incorrect) territory without thinking it through.
I can;t believe they didn't ask locals about the location they were given, because it seems to me any resident would have recognized the intersection with little trouble. So their elimination was due to their making mistakes that were even bigger than Gary-Will, who seem to make enough of them as it is.

I don't trust the editing anywhere near as much as you.  And I think it is very likely they did ask people for directions (every racer does), and the people who take them around in circles are the taxi drivers.  That's what taxi drivers who are lost do, gets them more money often as well.  And the editors very often like to beat the audience over the head with their 'themes' lol, that's been one of the weaknesses of the program in the past.

Offline supah

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #124 on: October 17, 2012, 05:25:28 AM »
After re-watching the episode, they definitely could've made some minor improvements to make the challenges better.

Egg Head - I think they did everything they could do, but they could've made teams balance the coconuts on their heads instead of letting the team members' hold them?

Lion's Head - They should've made teams memorise the processional steps. They had a choreographer in from of them the WHOLE time instructing them what to do.

I did enjoy both Detours, but these ^ are some things they could've done to make it just that little bit harder.

and my favourite quote of the episode would have to go to Brittany - "For the love of God, CEPAT!!!!!"  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: