I easily think this is one of the weaker premieres of TAR.
It wasn't so much the tasks, they were average. BUT, the editing was horrid. Absolutely AWFUL. Everything was chopping and changing, WAY too rushed for my liking! It was extremely hard to follow, I honestly can't remember much of what happened in the episode.
Also, IDK about anyone else, but it really didn't even feel like teams were in China.. I felt the episode was completely rushed and bypassed the whole "I hate China cause it's so confusing and nobody speaks English" mind boggle and breakdowns China usually presents to teams.. Just a really sucky leg IMO and it had nothing to do with teams or the tasks - it was just presented in a really odd way. But feel free to discuss and disagree
Finally watched it through streams
1. Indeed it was weak, maybe they want to SHOWCASE the big surprise of $2MILLION at the starting line, that's why they put the intro a bit longer?!?
2. The starting line task was physically challenging and the difficulty rate for 11 teams to be documented by the crew maybe one of the factor.. but I think they have too much angle... soo much that they even confused which one to put (helicopter-a must, first person helmet camera- also a must, the rest was additional)
3. chinese culture also only relevant to the restaurant, the stadium and the bund I think was more to the modern era
4. there's no slot for the teams to get to know each other (usually shown at the airport) where teams stare to each other and start making assumptions.. (like famous tv starts, etc..etc..)
5. so yeah, it was a rush one, a little too much footage rather than showing teams in transport mode (argue with taxi driver, get lost, etc...)
6. I HOPE they can paid it off at the second Episode, where Indonesians RFFers expect a high showcase of cultures and traditions..