Author Topic: TAR 21: Jaymes Vaughan & James Davis "Chippendales Dancers/Best Friends"  (Read 219623 times)

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
Re: TAR 21: Jaymes Vaughan & James Davis "Chippendales Dancers/Best Friends"
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2012, 11:41:57 PM »
There are three. maybe four, teams that I like this season, and Jamyes/James is one of them. Given how infrequent strong M/M teams have won over the last ten seasons, and the potential that any team can make mistakes the way the Race is structured now and end up being eliminated, I don't think disliking such teams on the potential that they might win makes any sense any longer. Given that two of the last three Races were won by F/F teams, and the third a married M/F team, you'd be hard pressed to say that a M/M team has a built in advantage.
What this team does seem to have going for it, (having seen a video the Chippendales made on the making of their 2012 calendar) is that Jaymes is particularly approachable, and sociable, and as the MC for the troupe's Las Vegas show, is a leader in the group, leading to a social skill set and in that type of setting also meaning they can make a good first impression on others. (Something to consider as to dealing with locals in other cultures and places.)
We haven't had a good best friends M/M team win in many a season, and the fact that one is gay and the other is straight ought to be seen as making that seem normal, and not unusual. We've had brother teams with that dynamic, and a male-female team, and a couple of parent-child teams, but not a same-sex, best friends, gay-straight team. It isn't that uncommon any more especially with the younger generation, and nothing wrong in having it on TAR, a show that's never been reluctant to cast gay Racers in the past.
-- theschnauzers

Offline RaceUntilWeDie

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2012, 07:57:12 AM »
There are three. maybe four, teams that I like this season, and Jamyes/James is one of them. Given how infrequent strong M/M teams have won over the last ten seasons, and the potential that any team can make mistakes the way the Race is structured now and end up being eliminated, I don't think disliking such teams on the potential that they might win makes any sense any longer. Given that two of the last three Races were won by F/F teams, and the third a married M/F team, you'd be hard pressed to say that a M/M team has a built in advantage.
What this team does seem to have going for it, (having seen a video the Chippendales made on the making of their 2012 calendar) is that Jaymes is particularly approachable, and sociable, and as the MC for the troupe's Las Vegas show, is a leader in the group, leading to a social skill set and in that type of setting also meaning they can make a good first impression on others. (Something to consider as to dealing with locals in other cultures and places.)
We haven't had a good best friends M/M team win in many a season, and the fact that one is gay and the other is straight ought to be seen as making that seem normal, and not unusual. We've had brother teams with that dynamic, and a male-female team, and a couple of parent-child teams, but not a same-sex, best friends, gay-straight team. It isn't that uncommon any more especially with the younger generation, and nothing wrong in having it on TAR, a show that's never been reluctant to cast gay Racers in the past.

One F/F team won one of the last three seasons and the other two being won by M/F teams.  :tup:

Offline Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • R.F.F. Game Host A.A.R.G. 11
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2012, 07:59:58 AM »

You mean two of the last four and the third and fourth, right? (Nat & Kat, Kisha & Jen, Ernie & Cindy and Rachel & Dave).
"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains - however improbable - must be the truth." - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

"No person deserves your tears, and who deserves them will not make you cry." - Gabriel García Márquez

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2012, 11:32:14 AM »
Either way, it doesn't change my point, does it?
-- theschnauzers

Offline Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • R.F.F. Game Host A.A.R.G. 11
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2012, 12:26:49 PM »
Either way, it doesn't change my point, does it?

Not al all.  :)
"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains - however improbable - must be the truth." - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

"No person deserves your tears, and who deserves them will not make you cry." - Gabriel García Márquez

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2012, 03:18:50 PM »
Back to the Chips please. :)
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline RealityFreakWill

• Big Brother Sho2 Updater
  • RFF Board Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • WILL & JAMES AMAZING RACE 32 CHAMPIONS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2012, 01:53:04 PM »
Chippendales tweeted this picture today of James and Jaymes. Great pic!

« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 10:39:13 AM by RealityFreakWill »

Offline eragon

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2012, 12:10:38 PM »
James looks like Steve (TAR:Aus2).

Offline Wanna Bee

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2012, 11:57:49 AM »
Hey, sorry if I missed a post, but where did we get the info that Jaymes is gay and James is straight?

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2012, 06:00:03 PM »
Hey, sorry if I missed a post, but where did we get the info that Jaymes is gay and James is straight?

It was easy enough to find via Google when they became the first team to be identified in the filming spoilers:

http://perezhilton.com/2012-01-20-a-chippendales-dancer-comes-out-publicly
-- theschnauzers

Offline RealityFreakWill

• RFF Board Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
    • Facebook
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2012, 09:22:51 AM »
Finally fixed the pic! Here you go....the pic was tweeted by Chippendales yesterday!

Offline RealityFreakWill

• RFF Board Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
    • Facebook
« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2012, 12:45:26 AM »
The Talk - Keoghan on 'Amazing Race' & Chippendales

Host of "The Amazing Race" Phil Keoghan discusses the show's 21st season and how they're raising the stakes! Plus, he surprises the ladies with an impromptu appearance from Chippendale contestants Jaymes & James!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/8CJncAHza_E?version=3&amp;amp;hl" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/8CJncAHza_E?version=3&amp;amp;hl</a>
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 11:08:27 AM by RealityFreakWill »

Offline Air

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • oh you speak french? oh man that's deep
« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2012, 10:12:40 PM »
A bigger picture of my avatar:

GO CHIPPENDALES!

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2012, 11:05:57 PM »
Oddly enough, that's the same nickname some people used for Reichen and Chip when season 4 aired.
-- theschnauzers

Offline RealityFreakWill

• RFF Board Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
    • Facebook
« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2012, 05:38:08 PM »
Jaymes and James at a picnic event today

Offline RealityFreakWill

• RFF Board Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
    • Facebook
« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2012, 08:30:38 PM »
After partaking in some competition games at the picnic, Jaymes and James were cooling off.

Offline RealityFreakWill

• RFF Board Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
    • Facebook
« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2012, 11:56:24 AM »
From The Talk last Friday...

Offline RealityFreakWill

• RFF Board Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
    • Facebook
« Reply #42 on: September 26, 2012, 01:57:02 AM »
Jaymes and James goofing off between photo shoot today. They are doing lots of press and are    beyond exhausted. They nap whenever they can. But they are excited for Sunday!

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2012, 10:17:22 AM »
http://www.lvrj.com/neon/-amazing-race-gets-taste-of-the-strip-171484671.html?ref=671

Las Vegad Review-Journal article previewing TAR 21 and the Chippendales'  Jamyes and James.

Interesting tidbit -- producers recruited the troupe and Jamyes in particular, and he chose his best friend James as his teammate; apparently they went through the casting process, and once they were chosen, they prepped by watching every single episode of TAR (that would be 20 seasons' worth) in marathon sessions. (Which I've always felt was the best way to watch the show because you do pick up rhythms that aren't apparent episode by episode.)
-- theschnauzers

Offline RealityFreakWill

• RFF Board Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
    • Facebook
« Reply #44 on: September 27, 2012, 11:37:00 AM »
Jaymes and James featured in the Las Vegas magazine tweeted by the Chippendales...

« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 11:42:02 AM by RealityFreakWill »

Offline RealityFreakWill

• RFF Board Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
    • Facebook
« Reply #45 on: September 27, 2012, 01:00:48 PM »
‘Amazing Race’ Gets Taste Of The Strip

Jaymes Vaughan and James Davis made for an intimidating sight when they arrived at the starting line for “The Amazing Race” (8 p.m. Sunday, KLAS-TV, Channel 8).

Between their sculpted physiques and Vaughan’s dog tags - not to mention that they were, in Davis’ words, “a whole foot taller than everybody” - the other teams assumed the Las Vegans were in the military.

Their competition’s reaction that day in Pasadena, Calif.? “Oh, man,” Davis recalls. “We’re screwed.”

“And then as soon as we kind of did the big reveal,” he says, “and busted out the cuffs and collars and the Chippendales logo shirts, ‘Oh, these guys are just - they’re just strippers.’ ”

“Which was awesome, ’cause that’s what we wanted,” Vaughan adds. Originally from Chesterfield, Va., the 30-year-old emcee of the Chippendales show at the Rio wears the dog tags in tribute to his father, who’s battling cancer.

They hadn’t seen much of “The Amazing Race” when producers approached Vaughan about forming a team with another member of the troupe. He only had one dancer in mind: his best friend, Davis, 27, from Jefferson, Maine.

“Once we found out we were on the show, we got way into it,” Vaughan admits. “We literally had, like, cram sessions where we’d go over to each other’s house and watch, like, a whole season, back to back to back to back to back. By the time we went on the show, we had watched, like, every single damn episode of ‘Amazing Race.’ ”

They realized their best strategy for the globe-trotting reality competition would be letting the other teams underestimate them. After all, they’re used to overcoming expectations.

“I think they wanted us to be, like, douche-bag strippers or something,” Vaughan says of the casting process.

“We were happy to show them otherwise,” Davis adds.

Their Chippendales experience gave them other advantages beyond the dumb-stripper stereotype.

“We already knew what it was like to kind of be living out of a suitcase, to always be on the go and to be constantly in a different place with unfamiliar languages, different cultures and different people,” Davis says of their previous Chippendales-related travels through Europe and Asia. “So we did have kind of that leg up.”

Then there’s the iconic wardrobe - or at least what passes for a wardrobe.

“It’s an international symbol. It’s recognized all over the world, and it transcends language,” Davis says. “So if you’re struggling trying to communicate, at least you can flash those cuffs and collars and maybe get some help or draw some attention.”

The duo isn’t allowed to say which countries they visited during the competition, because it could reveal how long they lasted. But this season, the show’s 21st, had teams racing across three continents and nine countries - including Indonesia, Bangladesh and the Netherlands - covering more than 25,000 miles.

“It’s a bucket list thing. I mean, the stuff you get to do,” Vaughan says of their reason for competing. “When you watch ‘Amazing Race’ seasons past, you see people jumping out of planes, jumping off of buildings, rappelling down the side of stuff, going to all these exotic, crazy, amazing destinations.”

The show’s $1 million prize - which, for the first time, will be doubled if the winners of the first leg win the entire competition - didn’t hurt, either.

But even their marathon viewing sessions didn’t prepare them for the realities of that much travel.

“It’s a lot more grueling than the show lets on. When you’re actually going through it, it’s a lot harder,” Davis reveals. “I always say, from the comfort of your couch, it’s always easier to make these kind of decisions. But when you’re tired, hungry and in an unfamiliar place, simple tasks start becoming a little more complicated.”

Vaughan’s lesson was more practical: “I never realized you could go so long without peeing, just because you’re so daggone distracted by all this other stuff you’re doing.”

As thrilled as they are to expose the Chippendales brand to viewers who may be outside the troupe’s usual demographic, don’t expect them to capitalize on their newfound celebrity by working the series into the live show.

“I don’t think anybody would wanna see an ‘Amazing Race’ number at Chippendales,” Vaughan says, laughing. “Nobody wants to see us look that bad.”

There’s so much upkeep involved in being a Chippendale - watching what you eat, working out, tanning, fussing with your hair, even the simple task of shaving - they relished the time away from all that.

“It was so nice to go and do this race and literally not care what we looked like and just be a mess,” Vaughan says.

“We’re gonna look like hell, I can promise you that. But it was nice to go and do.”

http://m.apnews.com/ap/db_15980/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=CnnDsl3z

Offline RealityFreakWill

• RFF Board Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
    • Facebook
« Reply #46 on: September 28, 2012, 09:47:38 AM »
Who gets up at 4:50 am to do a full day of press and radio appearances today? Jaymes and James did. And they look great!

Offline Air

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • oh you speak french? oh man that's deep
« Reply #47 on: September 28, 2012, 09:51:17 AM »
The Chippendales seem to be THE team to have an interview with this season.  :lol:

Offline choroneko

• RFF Full Member
  • It's super effective!
« Reply #48 on: September 28, 2012, 01:01:00 PM »
They're getting the most attention. Wow. They look like a couple to me.  :lol: Which is cool.  :conf:
Choroneko used Splash
Natalie & Nadiya | Jaymes & James | Abba & James

Offline RealityFreakWill

• RFF Board Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
    • Facebook
« Reply #49 on: September 30, 2012, 11:22:18 PM »
Chippendales surprised Jaymes and James tonight backstage of their show with this gorgeous cake!