Author Topic: TAR 21: Josh Kilmer-Purcell & Brent Ridge "Goat Farmers/Life Partners"  (Read 52185 times)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Josh and Brent

Josh and Brent   

Name: Josh Kilmer-Purcell
Hometown: I go back and forth weekly between New York City & Sharon Springs, NY.
Connection to your teammate: Life Partner for the past 15 years
Previously appeared on their own television series: “The Fabulous Beekman Boys” aired on Planet Green (Discovery) for two seasons (cancelled in 2011).
Current occupation: Goat Farmer/Advertising Executive/Author
Describe what you do: During the week, I work as an Advertising Creative Director in New York City. On the weekends, I commute to my goat farm in Sharon Springs, NY.
3 words to describe you: Funny, self-deprecating and generous.
Favorite hobbies: Cooking, gardening and traveling.
What is the accomplishment you are most proud of? Reviving the small town where our farm is located by bringing attention to Beekman Farm and rural America through our television show.
What famous person reminds you of yourself? Julia Child
What famous person reminds you of your teammate? Martha Stewart
What scares you most about traveling? Falling ill during The Race.
What excites you most about traveling? Partaking in new cuisines.
Biggest challenge you and your teammate will face on The Race together: We are quick to argue and both of us think we are the smartest people in the room.
Pet peeve about your teammate: Brent never admits when he is wrong.
What country and place would you most like to visit and why? There are two: Italy, because I can’t believe I have never been, and Russia because of the history and culture.
What do you hope to accomplish by running The Race (other than winning one million bucks)? If we win, we could finally be together under the same roof every night for the first time in three years. Being apart during the workweek has been a struggle and gone on far too long. 

Name: Brent Ridge
Hometown: Sharon Springs, N.Y.
Connection to your teammate: Life partners for 15 years
Previously appeared on their own television series: “The Fabulous Beekman Boys” aired on Planet Green (Discovery) for two seasons (cancelled in 2011).
Current occupation: Chief Executive Officer of Beekman 1802.
Describe what you do: I manage our 60 acre goat farm and run our company, Beekman 1802.
3 words to describe you: Focused, ambitious and open-minded.
Favorite hobbies: Working in my garden, organizing community events and meeting new people.
What is the accomplishment you are most proud of? Working with our small farm community to bring in new business and gather attention for rural America.
What famous person reminds you of yourself? Martha Stewart
What famous person reminds you of your teammate? Oprah
What scares you most about traveling? Being unable to resolve a situation because of a language barrier.
What excites you most about traveling? Seeing things I have never seen before and probably will never see again.
Biggest challenge you and your teammate will face on The Race together: Communication and the fact we both think we are always in the right.
Pet peeve about your teammate: He is too nice. He can’t always be nice and expect to get ahead when everyone else is playing dirty.
What country and place would you most like to visit and why? Asia and the Middle East since I want to know more about these cultures.
What do you hope to accomplish by running The Race (other than winning one million bucks)? As I get older, I realize life is about making memories and this will be an experience we both will never forget.

photo credit Chris Lipson CBS
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 09:11:04 AM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Re: TAR 21: Josh Kilmer-Purcell & Brent Ridge "Goat Farmers/Life Partners"
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 08:59:24 AM »
Thanks to WP!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/ofWjiPpjJ58?version=3&amp;amp;hl" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/ofWjiPpjJ58?version=3&amp;amp;hl</a>
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 03:08:02 PM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline BlooperGuy

• RFF Full Member
  • SKRILLEX.....VS.....MOZART!!!!
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2012, 09:23:54 PM »
Goat farmers... sounds as interesting as farming in general. :/

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012, 03:08:43 PM »
Vid up in post 2!!
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2012, 10:31:49 AM »
At first I thought this was a father and son team...... :ascared

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2012, 11:16:37 AM »
This was another one of the teams ID'd the first day, and they are actually engaged to be married (and New York state legalized same sex marriage last year.

To bad the show isn't going with "engaged."
-- theschnauzers

Offline Marionete

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • The sky's more blue
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2012, 10:57:56 AM »
At first I thought this was a father and son team...... :ascared

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
They really look alike somehow! :D

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2012, 10:15:35 PM »
To bad the show isn't going with "engaged."

With the increase in prize money for TAR, CBS cannot risk the Rush Limbaugh investment.  :lol:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2012, 01:07:28 AM »
If you missed their show before...you have another chance!

"The Fabulous Beekman Boys" is returning to TV on a new channel. The Cooking Channel begins re-airing Season 2 on Thursday nights at 10pm, starting 9/20.

*Looking for Cooking Channel on your cable or satellite provider? Click here to find the channel on your dial:

http://cookingchannel.viewerlink.tv/

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2012, 01:24:14 AM »
Love this!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/9szfMWCyPLE?version=3&amp;amp;hl" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/9szfMWCyPLE?version=3&amp;amp;hl</a>

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Michy

• RFF Newbie
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2012, 09:07:53 PM »
These two were definitely the most entertaining to watch! Easily my favorites.

Offline Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • R.F.F. Game Host A.A.R.G. 11
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2012, 10:12:38 PM »
These two were definitely the most entertaining to watch! Easily my favorites.

:bigwelcome  to RFF, Michy.
"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains - however improbable - must be the truth." - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

"No person deserves your tears, and who deserves them will not make you cry." - Gabriel García Márquez

Offline Topita

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2012, 10:21:45 PM »
They were very entertaining in ep 1.  :lol3:

ETA Are we allowed to discuss something from episode 1 here or is that considered a spoiler too?
(as I understand the show airs on a later date in ao Australia?)  :)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 10:25:30 PM by Topita »
Love takes off masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. :)

Offline Marionete

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • The sky's more blue
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2012, 04:49:58 AM »
Did not really like them :iok

They were very entertaining in ep 1.  :lol3:

ETA Are we allowed to discuss something from episode 1 here or is that considered a spoiler too?
(as I understand the show airs on a later date in ao Australia?)  :)
The post-elim interviews of Rob & Sheila have been posted in their thread, so I suppose what's been shown on TV = doesn't count as a spoiler?..

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2012, 10:56:10 AM »
Most episode discussion should stay in that thread, especially until after the West Coast has seen it also. But after that, comments related to ONE team may go in their own thread.
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Plaidmoon

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2012, 08:26:23 AM »
While looking at Twitter yesterday, I stumbled across a tweet with a link to a video of Josh in his drag queen role of Aquadesia. Because inquiring minds want to know, I had to go look at it. It appears to be something Josh put out when he wrote an autobiography 5 or 6 years ago. It's pretty tame stuff, so it should be safe even for those that are squeamish at the thought of men in drag. I do feel a bit bothered about the fish used in the video. I hope it wasn't too hard on them. Here's the video:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/gzBUPRxjX6U?version=3&amp;amp;hl" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/gzBUPRxjX6U?version=3&amp;amp;hl</a>

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2012, 10:23:42 AM »
The Beekman's are coming! The Beekman's are coming!! TO ATLANTA!

Hope everyone can give them a warm Atlanta welcome!

You can catch up with Josh Kilmer-Purcell and Brent Ridge in person on Saturday, October 27, 2012 at one of the following Atlanta locations:

9:00am:
Morningside Farmers Market
1393 N. Highland AveAtlanta GA 30306
as they sign copies of their bestselling cookbook,“The Beekman 1802 Heirloom Cookbook.”

Then at The Country Living Fair
Stone Mountain ParkU.S. Highway 78 East, Exit 8Stone Mountain, GA 30087

1:00pm Cooking Demo:
The Country Living Fair
“Cooking Butternut Squash‑Filled Lasagna Rolls” at the Kitchen Stage in Blackberry Field

2:00pm Book Signing:
Meet Josh and Brent
at The General Store on the Main Green
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Air

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • oh you speak french? oh man that's deep
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2012, 05:48:35 AM »
Peach, remember to tell us all about it!

Offline Plaidmoon

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2012, 06:56:13 AM »
Here's an interesting insight as to Josh and Brent's thoughts and behavior during the legs of the race that have aired so far. Essentially, they decided not to show outward signs of affection because they were traveling in Muslim countries where homosexuality is illegal. hat suggests we might see some differences in that team once they get Turkey or Russia. The article can be found at http://greginhollywood.com/beekman-boys-not-showing-affection-on-the-amazing-race-76099.

The Fabulous Beekman Boys explain why they are not showing affection on “The Amazing Race”
By Greg Hernandez on Oct 29, 2012 4:38 pm | Comments (1) |

On Sunday night’s episode of The Amazing Race on CBS, life partners Josh Kilmer-Purcell and Brent Ridge barely managed to stave off elimination from the reality show competition.

The couple, better known as The Fabulous Beekman Boys because they have their own reality show about life on their farm in upstate New York, took to Facebook Monday to address why they have not been as visibly affectionate as some of the other couples in the race.

‘Of the five legs shown thus far, four have been in Muslim countries and homosexuality is illegal in every country we’d visited or passed through,’ they explained. ‘Since we are guests in these countries, we chose to not embrace or kiss for practical and respectful reasons.’

‘We were literally relying on the kindness of strangers and cab drivers and challenging their beliefs would not have been strategically smart nor neighborly,’ they added. ‘To be completely fair, perhaps many of the great people we met along the way wouldn’t have had any issues with our relationship. But unfortunately, we didn’t have the time to get to know them better personally.’

The Amazing Race, now in its 21st season, teams of two people, who have some form of a preexisting personal relationship, racing around the world with other teams. Teams are progressively eliminated until three are left. The team that arrives first in the final leg is awarded the grand prize of $1 million.

Offline Declive

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2012, 11:39:34 AM »
That was very interesting. I think they're playing smart with this one.
100% commitment makes everything easy
99% commitment makes everything hard

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2012, 12:23:14 PM »
You can read the complete blog post here on the Beekman 1802 page:

http://beekman1802.com/muslim-country-kiss/

I especially like the insight into how well TAR/WRP works to educate and prepare the racers, and am proud of the Beekman's for being so culturally sensitive themselves!

To be completely fair, perhaps many of the great people we met along the way wouldn’t have had any issues with our relationship, but unfortunately we didn’t have the time to get to know them better personally. We are grateful that the producers of the show made all of the racers aware of the cultural backgrounds and differences of the countries we were heading into. Not only did it help us keep safe, but it made all of us better representatives of the U.S.  In addition to all of their Emmys, The Amazing Race producers should receive a medal from the State Department for collectively being the best diplomats and ambassadors this country has.

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline shiqiansoh

• RFF Not So Newbie
  • TIM AND TE JAY 4EVER!!
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2012, 07:29:37 PM »
They came in last in a non-elimination leg on leg 5. How do you feel about it?
~~~Shi Qian~~~

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2012, 08:04:47 PM »
Glad!! :)
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Air

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • oh you speak french? oh man that's deep
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2012, 08:14:53 PM »
Glad!! :)

Glad that its an NEL or glad that they came in last?

I prefer the former.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2012, 08:19:17 PM »
SO glad it was a NEL! I have a lot of respect for these guys, I admire tremendously the "empire" they have created at their farm. Awesome guys!
RFF's Golden Rule: